Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I was 8 years old and remember thinking the twin towers falling was awesome seeing it on tv, despite being surrounded by my crying older family

explosions and building implosions are still pretty cool when you think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Imapanda posted:

explosions and building implosions are still pretty cool when you think about it

i do think about it, and i agree

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Imapanda posted:

I was 8 years old and remember thinking the twin towers falling was awesome seeing it on tv, despite being surrounded by my crying older family

hello fellow millennial, how entitled are you feeling today?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Saurus posted:

If you say that the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq was a direct result of 9/11 then Osama Bin Laden got america to create a theocratic sunni state from a secular one and also to contribute to the rise of sunni extremism the world over at the cost of a few dumb jihadis

probably one of terrorism's greatest hits

But they and the inheritors of the Bin Laden organization hate each other and do spy vs spy poo poo to each other almost as much as they decapitate other people.

Plus Bush was looking for an excuse to invade Iraq since like 2000.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
You could take your departing loved ones all the way to the gangways. Thier were tearful farewells and romantic reunions. Flying anywhere took several hours and nudie pics less. The twin towers were there. You could go up to the top of one. You could also go into the statue of liberty. HTH.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

nomadologique posted:

i stood on that fucker like, uh, 2 years before it went down? that day i was just thinking, welp, that place where i stood, it's just empty air now

empty space actually, unless theres some asteroid or something there (not likely tho)

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Imapanda posted:

The real tragedy of 9/11 was that they didn't hit the CN Tower or the SPace Needle instead because then they would have been doing us a favor.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
People showed some goddamned respect for the only important holiday our shithole of a country has ever spawned, Dr. Frasier Crane Day. Never forget, my loving rear end.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

criscodisco posted:

Star Trek series weren't about weird terrorist plots and terrorist cells either.

it was

DS9 predicted post 9/11 paranoia perfectly in the episode where there were some changeling infiltrators on Earth

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
no one watches deep space 9

why would you watch a star trek where they never go anywhere new

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You could say the "N-word" around black people and they'd be cool about it because whitey had a good track record at the time.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

amityville anus posted:

You could say the "N-word" around black people and they'd be cool about it because whitey had a good track record at the time.

lol what the hell are you talking about the 90s were pretty heavy race-wise

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
remember when Disney Channel had good shows

http://i.imgur.com/TBzzPFJ.jpg

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

remember when Disney Channel had good shows

http://i.imgur.com/TBzzPFJ.jpg

I've seen that episode of Lizzie McGuire

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
back when, "terrorist" was not in the vernacular, just "radical extremist" because it was mostly white guys (waco, OKC bombing, unabomber) committing acts of terror and tbph they were not very good at instilling terror.

Timothy Mcveigh killed a daycare full of kids which was pretty bad but 9/11 knocked it out of the drat park.

white guys have been trying ever since to instill fear vis-a-vis spree shootings but we all know they're the Ringo in extremist circles

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
GBS was funny before 9/11

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Toadvine posted:

back when, "terrorist" was not in the vernacular, just "radical extremist" because it was mostly white guys (waco, OKC bombing, unabomber) committing acts of terror and tbph they were not very good at instilling terror.

Timothy Mcveigh killed a daycare full of kids which was pretty bad but 9/11 knocked it out of the drat park.

white guys have been trying ever since to instill fear vis-a-vis spree shootings but we all know they're the Ringo in extremist circles
No you're wrong Arab terrorism was all over 90s action movies, it was the popular thing to hate on as soon as we saw how feeble the Soviets really were.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

notZaar posted:

No you're wrong Arab terrorism was all over 90s action movies, it was the popular thing to hate on as soon as we saw how feeble the Soviets really were.

hmm

true lies had those inept arabs trying to set off nukes in the US but all the other movies I can think of with arab villains are usually on their own turf, and they're generally faceless cannon fodder.

Im open to other examples though

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Everything was paisley before 9/11. Clothes, food, national monuments, everything.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Before 9/11 people just thought you had a funny way of saying nine one one

Now it's a national tragedy

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

The Saurus posted:

If you say that the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq was a direct result of 9/11 then Osama Bin Laden got america to create a theocratic sunni state from a secular one and also to contribute to the rise of sunni extremism the world over at the cost of a few dumb jihadis

probably one of terrorism's greatest hits

it really was, osama didn't even think the towers would collapse - 9/11 was the slam dunk home run hit of terrorism.

one thing i remember was that most people turned into the racist pieces of shits they were only in their minds after 9/11. the amount of casual racism against muslims in the media, papers and even everyday folk was ridiculous.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Toadvine posted:

hmm

true lies had those inept arabs trying to set off nukes in the US but all the other movies I can think of with arab villains are usually on their own turf, and they're generally faceless cannon fodder.

Im open to other examples though

Rambo 2 & 3 just off the top of my head. Don't forget this was all during Desert Storm years.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
-I graduated from high school in 1980, from a town just south of Colorado Springs. All the guys in school carried pocket knives, and quite a few carried belt knives. There were several trucks in the student parking lot that had gun racks in their back windows, and they had guns in the gun racks.

-I remember my grandparents came to visit us once, when I was a kid. When they left, we all went on the plane with them, made sure they were seated comfortably before saying goodbye and leaving the plane.

-Weed use was punished much more than it is today.

-Before 2001, I did not know anybody who had a DVD player.

-Cell phones were still uncommon (I had one, simply because a year earlier Mrs. Genesplicer and I both needed them in case her father got worse while in the hospital, and the doctors could call us while in class. Strangely enough, while I was explaining this concept to my 3rd period class, the doctor did call to tell me he had taken a turn for the worse and to get to the hospital right away. Luckily, my Father-in-law pulled through the immediate crisis. He died a week later. )

-Speaking of cell phones. Many AM radio call-in shows would still give you priority if you were calling from a "car phone", because the callers were paying by the minute and being on hold could be expensive.

-Related to the above: It was still legal to make calls from your cell phone in your car, with no restrictions.

Regarding how school was different before 9/11

-In 2000, I had 2 computers in my classroom. One for my use, and one for students to use with either Encarta (remember that?) or with the Information Superhighway. I had a special website set up through whatever company provided us with our 56K connection at the school. This webpage was a series of links that the kids could use to go to specific websites that were deemed "Safe" and "Useful" by the school district.

- No student had a cell phone, and no student sent texts, went on social media or disrupted class by sharing selfies. The primary form of communication in class between students was called "passing notes".

-The only sports/energy drink was called "Gatorade". I had half my students convinced it was called that because the active ingredient was extracted from alligators.

-Before 9/11, we only had one rover on Mars. Now we have four, and two are still operating!

-Before 9/11, Pluto was still a planet, and I taught my students "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" instead of "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nachos".

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got to go into the cockpit of a 777 right after they were released, it was pretty cool. They even gave me little kiddie plastic pilot wings

It seemed like everything was just more trivial and chill before 9/11. I like to watch King of the Hill because it reminds me of that time, also I'm just old enough to like Seinfeld.

Some of my more fun friends made dry ice bombs and potato cannons and cool stuff like that, would probably get you on a Homeland Security list these days

The real deal is everyone went crazy with paranoia after 9/11 for a good few years, and that's how Bush got away with Iraq

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 30, 2015

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
All that stuff, plus you could get acid real easy.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ork of Fiction posted:

All that stuff, plus you could get acid real easy.

They did bust William Pickard in 2000

Long live the acid king

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
It was a time where we really only had two Terminator movies, instead of just saying there are only two. We still believed The Matrix sequels might be cool. Things were really different back then, more innocent, I guess.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Zeno-25 posted:

I got to go into the cockpit of a 777 right after they were released, it was pretty cool. They even gave me little kiddie plastic pilot wings

I was a nervous flyer as a kid, and the kind stewardess let me go into the cockpit to reassure me. It was really exciting, and it makes me a bit sad that there's so much stuff like this the next generation won't be able to do.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I used to carry a whole bunch of box cutters on the plane with me when I was a kid, used to just fill my Lion King backpack with them. :)

Things sure have changed.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
This was pop music pre-9/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fndeDfaWCg

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

the world believed capitalism was good and there was no foreign menace. not gettin hassled not gettin hustled, good times

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

it was a common cultural meme for books,movies, and tv fiction to feature buildings falling down or being blown up in spectacular fashion. you could say we were dreaming about it before it came.

after the towers fell, the image and idea became seared into our brains like trauma, and we began to slowly revisit it in popular art like that movie clover field and with time things like the avengers

it's like PTSD

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

everyone wanted to know about nickelodeon magazine please

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

notZaar posted:

it was because of the uss cole and first world trade center terror attack, but they weren't flashy enough to really sear the public consciousness beyond some nerdy newswatcers

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

gigawhite posted:

If you forgot anyone's phone number it was very likely you would never see that person again

I would never remember the number, but the pattern on the buttons. Maybe I'm autistic...

I brought a fire poker that I forged in college in my big backpack when I went to Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I remember my mate was hungover after a hawaiian night out on the piss and we had a flight next morning, but taking metal items off for airport security was still a weird gimmick. So he took his belt off for the tray and then in a mental haze instinctively just dropped his dacks in a big queue. I laughed and he was embarrassed. GBS

• Locked thread