Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Welcome back real football! Saturday is the second annual FCS kickoff, pitting the four time defending national champions North Dakota State University versus the #12 Montana Grizzlies, who are debuting new head coach Bob Stitt, formerly of Colorado School of Mines and subject of endless fascination for a small subset of football nerds.

What exactly is the FCS kickoff?

An excuse to pay attention to the wonderful weird world of FCS football. A place with bloodfields, fortune 500 CEOs in second careers, familiar names slumming it between jobs, and an 24 team playoff. Most importantly, the FCS is home to some very good football and both teams this weekend represent that. So here's the matchup:

North Dakota State University

At this point the only question with NDSU is why FBS schools are dumb enough to schedule them. During their current four year run, they've gone 58-3, at one point ripping of 30 straight wins, including that one where they beat Kansas State at Snyder Family Stadium. So far, it looks like second year head coach Chris Klieman is going to follow in Craig Bohls footsteps, and the Bison are going to continue to steamroll everybody with their dominant defense and efficient pro-style offense. Imagine Nick Saban's Alabama stepping on the face of college football for half a decade, except everybody involved has obnoxiously Scandinavian name, unironically eats lutefisk, and thinks of Fargo as a model american metropolis. gently caress them.

But seriously, this looks like another excellent NDSU squad. The offense is returning 8 starters, potentially mitigating a lot turnover on the defensive side, where they're starting a brand new secondary. Still, their ability to slow down Montana's passing game will be crucial to how the match plays out, because they really don't want to get into a shootout. Adding to the challenge, nobody has any tape on Montana because of their new coach...

Montana

If NDSU is 'bama, Montana is some bastard mix of Texas' underperformance relative to historical excellence and Penn State's poorly prosecuted sex crimes. We're past that though! With a brand new coach and a collection of football talent without any bestselling books about their misdeeds, it's a new day in Missoula. Really though, it comes down to whether or not Coach Stitt can live up to the hype. Stitt came into public consciousness, at least amongst a very small subset of the public, a few years back when the version of the fly sweep he invented was used to eviscerate Clemson in Orange bowl. He put together a career 108-62 record at Division II school Colorado School of Mines, but his record likely understates his success there: he built a program essentially out of scratch, at a school with a median ACT in the high 20s/low 30s, while trying to convince student athletes to come play at a school with a 75% male student body and no majors outside engineering and a student body not always concerned with athletics. Now he's at the helm of one of the best funded FCS programs, on a campus where athletics are king and distractions are aplenty. He could easily exceed the already high expectations and show how much CSM was holding him back, or he could falter dealing with student athletes who aren't engineering students.

As for their on the field prospects, Montana is expected to use some version of a spread attack, but a fun storyline going into the game is that nobody is really sure what it would look like. NDSU has allegedly been trying to scrounge up as much gametape of CSM as they can, but nobody is quite sure how much of his playbook he's bringing with him. For a general outline of what he does though, this piece by Bill Connelly is pretty great. The novelty and element of surprise are a double-edged sword that might determine the contest: if Montana's players are comfortable enough in the system to exploit the raw NDSU secondary, they could turn the game into a track meet and put of a lot of pressure on the plodding NDSU.

Unofficial Mascot for the Game: Smokey the Air

This is the biggest wildcard this weekend. Washington, Idaho and Western Montana are on fire, and the prevailing winds are blowing everything through Missoula/all of the state. Visibility is miserable, I can taste woodsmoke everytime I go outside, and the state strongly advises against extended physical exertion outside. There's a chance it could settle down by tomorrow, but right now it looks like the teams will have to play through it. Aside from the novelty of watching a stadium full of people slowly get cancer, it could test both sides conditioning and slow the game down, potentially giving NDSU an advantage.

When to watch: 3:30 EST, ESPN.
What to drink: I'm going represent my Montana pride with a couple growlers of delicious Blackfoot Single Malt IPA. They don't distribute outside Helena, MT city limits though, so I'd recommend Moose Drool Brown Ale by Big Sky brewery, because that's really the only widely distributed Montana beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Thank god there is a game tomorrow, because it is my birthday and if i cannot watch football on my birthday it is a travesty.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I have to say that moose drool, while good, is like 10 times better in billings than anywhere outside Montana.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Football!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

woooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Let's go Montana Bob Stitts

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Outstanding write up, DinosaurEggSalad :golfclap:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

When to watch: 3:30 EST, ESPN.
What to drink: I'm going represent my Montana pride with a couple growlers of delicious Blackfoot Single Malt IPA. They don't distribute outside Helena, MT city limits though, so I'd recommend Moose Drool Brown Ale by Big Sky brewery, because that's really the only widely distributed Montana beer.

Cold Smoke from Kettlehouse Brewing is liquid crack and the single thing I miss most about Missoula.

Edit: Texas is also a really good comparison for UM, we're pretty solid overall, big in our conference but don't turn that into tons of national championships or anything, basically a bloated, generally successful but not dominant program that thinks it's way bigger than it is. Washington Grizzly Stadium is still my favorite game day experience though, wouldn't trade that for anything.

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 29, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I am ready for college football to be on my screen

Sep 4, 2008

Thaddius the Large posted:

Cold Smoke from Kettlehouse Brewing is liquid crack and the single thing I miss most about Missoula.

God that stuff is astounding. It was actually the first Montana made beer I had, in a vaguely racist bar in Phillipsburg and thus the most Montana beer I ever had.

Go Grizz!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Does NDSU play any FBS teams this year?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Nope, they were all too scared.

e: YOU ARE LOOKING LIIIIIVE

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Slate Action posted:

Nope, they were all too scared.

e: YOU ARE LOOKING LIIIIIVE

Muss pronounced it "By-zon" :lol:

Sep 4, 2008

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Not this year, but I think Iowa has them in 2016.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Jessie Palmer is an attractive dude.

Sep 4, 2008

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Muss pronounced it "By-zon" :lol:

That's how they say it, I swear to god. The Dakotas are the worst.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
OF COURSE IT"S JESSE PALMER.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Go a grizzly

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Let's go Bizon
Let's go Grizz
Let's go football

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Alaois posted:

woooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Truth. Also watching football while getting paid to do nothing is pretty cool

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hope Bob Stitt is a success.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Football!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FOOTBAW

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
REJOICE, COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON IS HERE

Sep 4, 2008

Foooootball!!!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

I hope Bob Stitt is a success.

In a weird way I wanted to get him at UGA for OC. I know it would have never happened, but damnit if I didnt want it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Yay football! and it's not bad NFL preseason football, but a premier FCS matchup!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Pakled posted:

REJOICE, COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON IS HERE

everything is beautiful and nothing hurts

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
6'6", 236 lbs. That's a big QB

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The other team's QB is 6'7"

Sep 4, 2008

Shittttt

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is it Montana that has the insane maroon or gray field of doom?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah that secondary's looking rough

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

KKKLIP ART posted:

No, that's Eastern Washington's cherry red poo poo

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
TOUCHDOWN

Yeah NDSU still looks pretty loving good

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Montana's is 6'7" 235 lbs

E: beaten like poo poo

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Stittttttttt

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

nah Eastern Washington has the Field of Blood

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

Montana's is 6'7" 235 lbs.

Good lawd! The battle of the golems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

No, that's Eastern Washington's cherry red poo poo

I swore that there was a maroon and gray team that wanted a non green field, not just the FIELD OF BLOOD team.

• Locked thread