Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
also lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ahh thanks Enfi

Enfield posted:

also lol

:argh:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

GWAR owns I've seen them twice at the House of Blues downtown. Got a cool scar on my chin from the last time when the opening band demanded the crowd to split into mosh pit walls and charge across into each other.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Jastiger posted:

Our water isn't too bad. Our city is sueing some punk rear end rural counties to clean up their act with the water.

Sounds like some uncivilized activities tbh, Dogballs. Maybe this place isn't rough enough for you.

some of the best water in the country right here. and sounds like you're too much of a marshmallow to handle chi-town. just lol if you don't get lost in loving englewood in the murder capital of the nation. bet you no one would feel bored THEN! even the bad side of des moines is a joke

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
ah yes chicago, the poorer, smellier new york

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

some of the best water in the country right here. and sounds like you're too much of a marshmallow to handle chi-town. just lol if you don't get lost in loving englewood in the murder capital of the nation. bet you no one would feel bored THEN! even the bad side of des moines is a joke

You're right Dr. Dogballs, we really need to work on our murder rate. When we're done inventing nukes and computers and financing the world, we'll get to the violence.

I'm pretty sure when you entered Des Moines the crime stats preemptively increased due to Chicago origins.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3715950

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 29, 2015

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Nash Regex posted:

GWAR owns I've seen them twice at the House of Blues downtown. Got a cool scar on my chin from the last time when the opening band demanded the crowd to split into mosh pit walls and charge across into each other.

front/center every time, nearly broke my ribs 4/6 shows ive attended and my hips/knees always look like a canvas for a hammer from the bruising

Jastiger posted:

You're right Dr. Dogballs, we really need to work on our murder rate. When we're done inventing nukes and computers and financing the world, we'll get to the violence.

I'm pretty sure when you entered Des Moines the crime stats preemptively increased due to Chicago origins.

if it did, at least i made your state just that much more interesting. shows how dull it is that I of all goons can light it up :c00lbert:

Dr. Dogballs Jr. fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 29, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

front/center every time, nearly broke my ribs 4/6 shows ive attended and my hips/knees always look like a canvas for a hammer from the bruising

if it did, at least i made your state just that much more interesting. shows how dull it is that I of all goons can light it up :coolbert:

Crime equal interesting? Move to like Detroit then, scrub. Both of us are bush league in comparison

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Jastiger posted:

Crime equal interesting? Move to like Detroit then, scrub. Both of us are bush league in comparison

i almost forgot about those fucks. may have indiana beat for just loving awful. detroit is like a southern-ish chicago suburb got evacuated

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I grew up in Des Moines and it does suck. Not as bad as some other places, the cost of living is cheap and it is relatively safe, but it is boring. Anyone who says it isn't boring has never been anywhere that isn't. This is a fact. Des Moines likes to act like it's on some grand cultural upswing because it has some decent restaurants and once in a while a big name band comes through. You know, just like any other moderately sized metro area in the loving country.

Hell, the only reason anyone stops to play a show in Des Moines to begin with is because they are in between playing shows in towns that matter. Practically every act that comes through says something to the crowd along the lines of "oh we've never been to Des Moines before, but gee what a great city you guys have here I had no idea about Des Moines before now but so cool" like they are amazed the town has running loving water.

And the weather is simply terrible. Nine of every ten days you spend in Iowa are either horrendously humid and hot or really loving cold.

The state fair is basically the biggest thing that happens all year and people only go to it out of some perverse sense of Iowan duty. "Oh the state fair is in town I had better go. I mean God forbid I miss the butter cow, chainsaw carvings or any number of has been 80's bands minus a number of original members. Time to go sweat my balls off while I cram deep fried pig anuses into my mouth." There is basically no culture no matter how hard the Des Moines register tries to pretend the city is the new Midwestern mecca of cool. Worst of all, it's filled with a lot of insufferable people like Jastiger who have crammed their head as far up their own rear end in a top hat as possible so as to escape the hideously boring Iowa terrain and architecture.

In fact, Iowans can often be friendly to the point of actually being nosy pricks who won't mind their own business.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Jastiger posted:

Dakotas make up for the pretty landscape by being full of lovely politics and backwards social norms. A lot like Idaho in that regard.

Iowa voters kicked out the judges that brought in gay marriage en masse. I wouldn't be particularly proud.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Deki posted:

Iowa voters kicked out the judges that brought in gay marriage en masse. I wouldn't be particularly proud.

meanwhile in boystown
:gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The French Army! posted:

I grew up in Des Moines and it does suck. Not as bad as some other places, the cost of living is cheap and it is relatively safe, but it is boring. Anyone who says it isn't boring has never been anywhere that isn't. This is a fact. Des Moines likes to act like it's on some grand cultural upswing because it has some decent restaurants and once in a while a big name band comes through. You know, just like any other moderately sized metro area in the loving country.

Hell, the only reason anyone stops to play a show in Des Moines to begin with is because they are in between playing shows in towns that matter. Practically every act that comes through says something to the crowd along the lines of "oh we've never been to Des Moines before, but gee what a great city you guys have here I had no idea about Des Moines before now but so cool" like they are amazed the town has running loving water.

And the weather is simply terrible. Nine of every ten days you spend in Iowa are either horrendously humid and hot or really loving cold.

The state fair is basically the biggest thing that happens all year and people only go to it out of some perverse sense of Iowan duty. "Oh the state fair is in town I had better go. I mean God forbid I miss the butter cow, chainsaw carvings or any number of has been 80's bands minus a number of original members. Time to go sweat my balls off while I cram deep fried pig anuses into my mouth." There is basically no culture no matter how hard the Des Moines register tries to pretend the city is the new Midwestern mecca of cool. Worst of all, it's filled with a lot of insufferable people like Jastiger who have crammed their head as far up their own rear end in a top hat as possible so as to escape the hideously boring Iowa terrain and architecture.

In fact, Iowans can often be friendly to the point of actually being nosy pricks who won't mind their own business.

Such treachery. You wound me. Des Moines is the best Midwestern city, as outlined in my other thread. It doesn't get enough credit for not being a crime ridden crumbling poo poo hole like most if it's Midwestern competition.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the midwest is basically a flatter, more boring extension of the south

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Being born and raised in arguably Iowa's shittiest city of Council Bluffs, I can concur that Iowa is a poo poo hole. But so is Nebraska. Des Moines may be boring as all gently caress, but atleast there's a measure of intelligent people there. Go a few miles out of the city and into the farmlands and you run into people who still unironically call democrats "libtards". My college roommate's dad called me that when I said I didn't see the problem in gay marriage.
Also, Zombie Burger's loving overhyped beyond belief. They do have a good beer selection, I'll give them that.
gently caress this state. And gently caress Nebraska, too. Every god drat Nebraskan has a raging hard-on for the Huskers to the point where their football stadium becomes the most populated area in the state on game days.

Edit: Omaha's decent.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Such treachery. You wound me. Des Moines is the best Midwestern city, as outlined in my other thread. It doesn't get enough credit for not being a crime ridden crumbling poo poo hole like most if it's Midwestern competition.
Well to be fair when anyone asks me what it's like where I'm from originally I always say it's quiet with low crime and friendly people, which is what Des Moines has in spades. I'm just not about to try and pretend it's a cool town, because it isn't even close.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

ah yes chicago, the poorer, smellier new york

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The French Army! posted:

Well to be fair when anyone asks me what it's like where I'm from originally I always say it's quiet with low crime and friendly people, which is what Des Moines has in spades. I'm just not about to try and pretend it's a cool town, because it isn't even close.

What makes a town Cool?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TwoStepBoog posted:

Being born and raised in arguably Iowa's shittiest city of Council Bluffs, I can concur that Iowa is a poo poo hole. But so is Nebraska. Des Moines may be boring as all gently caress, but atleast there's a measure of intelligent people there. Go a few miles out of the city and into the farmlands and you run into people who still unironically call democrats "libtards". My college roommate's dad called me that when I said I didn't see the problem in gay marriage.
Also, Zombie Burger's loving overhyped beyond belief. They do have a good beer selection, I'll give them that.
gently caress this state. And gently caress Nebraska, too. Every god drat Nebraskan has a raging hard-on for the Huskers to the point where their football stadium becomes the most populated area in the state on game days.

Edit: Omaha's decent.

lovely states are crazy about football because it's the only thing of note nearby

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

The French Army! posted:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Jastiger posted:

What makes a town Cool?
Mostly interesting scenery including surrounding terrain and architecture combined with the level of cultural opportunities provided weighed against how lovely the locals are.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The French Army! posted:

Mostly interesting scenery including surrounding terrain and architecture combined with the level of cultural opportunities provided weighed against how lovely the locals are.

Hmmmmmm. Yeah gonna go with Des Moines being pretty "cool" by this measure. Some of the older cities have more interesting architecture, but for me its WAY offset by the inability to actually do anything in and/or near it because of crime, blight, and general shittiness of the people. Still, I can hear where you're coming from and the Pacific Northwest has some kick rear end cities.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Hardly. Most of the Des Moines was built in the 1900's so the architecture isn't great, especially with all the prefab suburbs that have moved into the surrounding areas. The surrounding area is all rolling hills and corn fields with a few wooded patches which aren't that pretty to begin with and you can't actually enjoy any of those rolling hills and endless fields because only about 2% of the whole state of Iowa is public land. Des Moines offers basically no unique cultural institutions of its own and it certainly offers no more cultural opportunities than many cities far smaller than it do. This is offset only by the fact that it is cheap to live there and people are nice. That's about it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The French Army! posted:

Hardly. Most of the Des Moines was built in the 1900's so the architecture isn't great, especially with all the prefab suburbs that have moved into the surrounding areas. The surrounding area is all rolling hills and corn fields with a few wooded patches which aren't that pretty to begin with and you can't actually enjoy any of those rolling hills and endless fields because only about 2% of the whole state of Iowa is public land. Des Moines offers basically no unique cultural institutions of its own and it certainly offers no more cultural opportunities than many cities far smaller than it do. This is offset only by the fact that it is cheap to live there and people are nice. That's about it.

when celebs make it big they live on the coasts not in Des Moines.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The French Army! posted:

B B B B but we have the World Food Prize Museum!

I'm not going to say Des Moines is really The Best Cultural Experience, but you can do almost anything else in other Midwestern cities in Des Moines at like half the cost. The only exception is professional sports. It would be cool if there were towering mountains and impressive valleys but...opening up tot he Great Plains, so you don't get that. BUT the infrastructure is nice and you can bike literally anywhere, up to 100 miles outside the city all paved and all taken care of. Plenty of camping and the river provides a lot of outdoorsy stuff.

Architecture is so-so. I like it better than the old ramshackle of the NE and the faux-rusticism of some of the NW. But its not the worst by far.

Essentially its not the Best Ever, but its top tier for "Midsize Midwestern City"

Oceakin
May 13, 2004

Cowabunga Bitches!

VendaGoat posted:

Zombie burger is gently caress awful.

801 Steakhouse is loving heaven on a plate.

El Bait Shop is cool.

I don't know much else, but gently caress it.

Went there for 4 days on business. And these are the same opinions I have.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Essentially its not the Best Ever, but its top tier for "Midsize Midwestern City"

yeah it's top tier despite not having a light rail system.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

yeah it's top tier despite not having a light rail system.

Exactly, doesn't need one yet.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Jastiger posted:

B B B B but we have the World Food Prize Museum!

I'm not going to say Des Moines is really The Best Cultural Experience, but you can do almost anything else in other Midwestern cities in Des Moines at like half the cost. The only exception is professional sports. It would be cool if there were towering mountains and impressive valleys but...opening up tot he Great Plains, so you don't get that. BUT the infrastructure is nice and you can bike literally anywhere, up to 100 miles outside the city all paved and all taken care of. Plenty of camping and the river provides a lot of outdoorsy stuff.

Architecture is so-so. I like it better than the old ramshackle of the NE and the faux-rusticism of some of the NW. But its not the worst by far.

I think you're kind of proving my point here. Des Moines isn't a terribly happening city for a place of its size. Now, I'm certainly not criticizing Des Moines at all. As I said people are really friendly, it's cheap, the job market is strong, and it's a pretty safe place. This makes it good place for a quiet and stable middle class life. I certainly had a pretty painless upbringing all things considered. But it isn't a place people go in search of adventure. And Iowa killed Buddy Holly so checkmate.

Also, lol if you're gonna bike anywhere in the Iowa summer or winter. It's technically possible to bike anywhere but It's either just too cold and slippery or you'll be drenched when you get anywhere in the summer heat.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

captain kirk left Iowa

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

etalian gets it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The French Army! posted:

etalian gets it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Confession time goons: i grew up near/around des moines area and it is as every bit as terrible and even worse than the op described it. Jastiger must suffer from a head injury because anyone who was smart and fun that i knew around there got the gently caress out ASAP. Do not visit iowa. Do not visit des moines. I have some fond memories of iowa city and i think chicago is ok (when its not cold), but do not be fooled. The midwest is unequivocal poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Confession time goons: i grew up near/around des moines area and it is as every bit as terrible and even worse than the op described it. Jastiger must suffer from a head injury because anyone who was smart and fun that i knew around there got the gently caress out ASAP. Do not visit iowa. Do not visit des moines. I have some fond memories of iowa city and i think chicago is ok (when its not cold), but do not be fooled. The midwest is unequivocal poo poo.

the midwest's main export is people who wish they could be somewhere else.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Oh yeah, Iowa is an ABC state so if you want to buy good liquor at a reasonable price you are just poo poo out of luck, the selection is piss poor in 99% of all liquor selling establishments. If, however, you want to stumble into a Kum & Go at 1:47AM for a $13 plastic 1.75 liter of Hawkeye Vodka you'd be drinking like a true Iowan.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

And God Forbid you would want to smoke a joint now that there would be illegal my friend what do you want kids to get hooked on this stuff what kind of monster are you? Meth is super easy to score though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The French Army! posted:

Also this person speaks the truth. Especially about the new midwest mecca poo poo. Its very funny the sorta blinders iowans throw up about their poo poo culture vacuums

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Last Chance posted:

The French Army! posted:

Iowa killed Buddy Holly so checkmate.

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
wow two of the wors tposters in gbs in one thread im sure its really good *shits all over my balls and on the ops chest*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i dunno i guess des moines has a funny bone and some comics i like actually perform there sometimes. fair is fair, jastiger. that's at least one decent thing about des moines.

• Locked thread