Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
The precariat has class characteristics: it can be defined in relation to other groups and consists of people sharing three similar class features, all tendencies or trends. First, the precariat has distinctive relations of production, or labour relations. Unlike the norm for the proletariat, the precariat has insecure labour, flitting in and out of jobs, often with incomplete contracts or forced into indirect labour relationships via agencies or brokers.

Of course, there has always been casual labour. This in itself does not distinguish the precariat. The key point is that the precariat is subjected to what I call precariatisation – habituation to expecting a life of unstable labour and unstable living. Breman claims I say men are experiencing precariatisation (although he misquotes the word) as loss of status. But precariatisation refers not to loss of status, but to the opposite of proletarianisation – an habituation to stable wage labour – a much-used concept deployed by historians in analysing what happened in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Precariatisation is about loss of control over time and the development and use of one’s capabilities.

In addition, the modal member of the precariat is unlike the old proletarian in having a level of formal schooling that is well above the level of the job he or she is expected to do. This is historically unique. Unlike the classic proletarian, who at best learned a craft or skill at an early age and if successful could rise from journeyman to artisan to master craftsman or supervisor, the precariat is expected to learn and relearn myriad tricks and develop social, emotional and communication skills that exceed anything demanded of the proletarian.

This is precariat skilling, fleeting, costly to acquire, easy to lose. It goes with lack of any occupational narrative members of the precariat can give to their working lives. Some do not have any occupational identity. Possibly even worse is the situation of those initially set on a course to acquire an occupational identity only to have it snatched away, again and again.

In Marxian terms, one can say that whereas the old proletariat tended to perform labour that was consistent with its labour power, the labour performed by members of the new precariat is well below their labour power, their capacities.

Are you part of the new labour force, the precariat? How does it feel having no prospects, no guarantee what hours you will get next week, nihilistically performing lovely tasks with no holiday pay or health benefits?

Feel free to rant about your frustration here. Well at least you now have a new label

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm white though

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Of course this is mainly a problem for millenials

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
mmm dribble your precariat all over my working class

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just keep holding out. They'll need lots of able bodies for the water wars.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Yesterday I was late for a haircut appointment so I valeted my car at my condo and had them unload my groceries from my car and leave them in my house.

The guy that did that is full time, has healthcare, paid vacation, a 401k and gets a Christmas bonus in the mid 4 figures.

Basically what I am saying is if this thread describes you the guy that parks Three Olives car for a living probably has a better life than you.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Who is Breman?

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
are precariats HENRY (high earner but not rich yet)

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Digiwizzard posted:

are precariats HENRY (high earner but not rich yet)

Basically it's your average p/t barista with a masters in accounting etc. Esp in Britain a lot of workers for the big corporations eg Tesco have zero-hour contracts ie they can be told that next week they aren't working and they can't do poo poo all about it.

The precariat have no rights, no unions and are generally overskilled for the deadend jobs they are (temporarily) in.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

Yesterday I was late for a haircut appointment so I valeted my car at my condo and had them unload my groceries from my car and leave them in my house.

The guy that did that is full time, has healthcare, paid vacation, a 401k and gets a Christmas bonus in the mid 4 figures.

Basically what I am saying is if this thread describes you the guy that parks Three Olives car for a living probably has a better life than you.

impossible since it means he has to deal with you irl

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
As usual Vice has something something to say on the matter

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/what-the-gently caress-is-the-precariat-and-why-should-you-care-293

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm more of a sigma male

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i think it would be cool if the relations of society were centered around human needs rather than exchange ratios between commodities

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

i think prospects for US workers would improve dramatically if the rest of the world bombed their respective industries into the dumpster again

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 29, 2015

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I like not being a poor

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Ocean Book posted:

i think it would be cool if the relations of society were centered around human needs rather than exchange ratios between commodities

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

SirEvelynTremble posted:

The precariat has class characteristics: it can be defined in relation to other groups and consists of people sharing three similar class features, all tendencies or trends. First, the precariat has distinctive relations of production, or labour relations. Unlike the norm for the proletariat, the precariat has insecure labour, flitting in and out of jobs, often with incomplete contracts or forced into indirect labour relationships via agencies or brokers.

Of course, there has always been casual labour. This in itself does not distinguish the precariat. The key point is that the precariat is subjected to what I call precariatisation – habituation to expecting a life of unstable labour and unstable living. Breman claims I say men are experiencing precariatisation (although he misquotes the word) as loss of status. But precariatisation refers not to loss of status, but to the opposite of proletarianisation – an habituation to stable wage labour – a much-used concept deployed by historians in analysing what happened in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Precariatisation is about loss of control over time and the development and use of one’s capabilities.

In addition, the modal member of the precariat is unlike the old proletarian in having a level of formal schooling that is well above the level of the job he or she is expected to do. This is historically unique. Unlike the classic proletarian, who at best learned a craft or skill at an early age and if successful could rise from journeyman to artisan to master craftsman or supervisor, the precariat is expected to learn and relearn myriad tricks and develop social, emotional and communication skills that exceed anything demanded of the proletarian.

This is precariat skilling, fleeting, costly to acquire, easy to lose. It goes with lack of any occupational narrative members of the precariat can give to their working lives. Some do not have any occupational identity. Possibly even worse is the situation of those initially set on a course to acquire an occupational identity only to have it snatched away, again and again.

In Marxian terms, one can say that whereas the old proletariat tended to perform labour that was consistent with its labour power, the labour performed by members of the new precariat is well below their labour power, their capacities.

Are you part of the new labour force, the precariat? How does it feel having no prospects, no guarantee what hours you will get next week, nihilistically performing lovely tasks with no holiday pay or health benefits?

Feel free to rant about your frustration here. Well at least you now have a new label

lol i work for an ultra powerful university so, while i have no prospects and no set schedule, i have holiday pay and health benefits

suck it, the rest of the precariat

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Ocean Book posted:

i think it would be cool to go the moon

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

as a member of the precariat, just having health benefits is enough for me to say "gently caress you got mine"

looooool

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
im just glad my contracts last for a year or so at a time

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nomadologique posted:

lol i work for an ultra powerful university so, while i have no prospects and no set schedule, i have holiday pay and health benefits

Have fun when that bubble bursts two years from now. Also get ready for the water wars.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I was a labour aristocrat until I quit my job and took a year off to jack it. I'm told that, if I was to bother to try to go back to work, my CV would secure me a zero-hours contract in a warehouse at best. So in answer to your question OP I would be a member of the precariat if i wasn't a proud lumpenprole.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

lol

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://vine.co/v/ejau7z2ZXHZ

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
well we could rise up and demand a guaranteed income, redistributed from the highest earners

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

im actually the lumpenproletariat

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
porkariat :btroll:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

nomadologique posted:

my university sent me a letter yesterday reminding me that as a TA i am not entitled to any kind of healthcare benefits lmao anyway bye im gonna kill myslef

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I applied for a job recently that promised a 35k-40k salary for entry level management training. Went for an interview, got called back for the second interview which was actually spending 8 hours with someone doing the job.

Got told before they offered me the job that 6 months of my "management" training would be selling door to door on a commission only contract, and also i had to supply my own tablet, and my own car, and make my own social security and medicare contributions through self-employment tax and also i'd have to train their new staff and interview people for the privilege of being able to sell door to door on commission for them.

I am the precariat :smith: I told them to gently caress off though and have an interview for an actual job tomorrow.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
america deserved 9/11

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
i had to leave my last job which i was really good at and making good money at because there was a change in management and the new managers were dicks who cut my hours in half and said we'd have to start paying outrageous prices for staff meals

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

The Saurus posted:

I am the precariat :smith: I told them to gently caress off though and have an interview for an actual job tomorrow.

With Über?

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

Harald posted:

america deserved 9/11

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Heh. No a job with an actual 40 hour work week and 401k and healthcare.

one of the red flags for me with the other job was that i was the only white person in the entire building, including employees and interviewees. that usually means that they're getting oppressed to gently caress.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

the wobblies got a fair shake for Spanish cleaners in london who were being paid dirt and treated like chattel but apparently the employers ratted to the DWP and now they're looking into ways to crack down on employees leveraging their labour power to reduce employers' "flexibility", which is a keystone of Britain plc.

personally i hope britain plc goes bankrupt and its board hangs itself while the place burns down.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The best part of my day is every time I realize I'm a middle class white male. I get so euphoric.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

vyst posted:

The best part of my day is every time I realize I'm a middle class white male. I get so euphoric.

so you're just successful enough that the poor have misconceptions of you and hate and might murder you, but not wealthy enough to be in the lifestyle of the actually successful people who look down on you?

no thanks american dream, i'll keep eating fish i catch myself and collecting mason jars for foods i dont yet know how to make

naem
May 29, 2011

I've had a couple of these jobs temporarily while working my way through school, and the look on various middle manager faces as I Pokemon evolved beyond their sphere of influence was hilarious like NO ONE ESCAPES MY CALL CENTER!! NO ONE!!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
ya it's pretty awesome when an at-will employment place genuinely needs you and then you just quit before a really busy period and gently caress everything up and make them look bad

like dude, it's at-will. you weren't gonna give me a week's notice if you fired me so gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8i5NLyXZdc

• Locked thread