Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Morning classes congregate on the roof, for easy, universal access and a comfortable learning environment, free of aural distractions, they say. In any case, the elevators brought you up here, same as usual, and whatever grip the long ascent may have had on you on your first day has pretty much melted away. From this high up, people aren't like ants -- they're just not there at all. (Let's face it -- that's probably intentional.)

The roof itself has railings and glass ring structures, weird touchscreens with the texture of windows; no matter where you look, as long as it's not the floor, the sky or your fellow students, you can see whatever's on the "whiteboard." Of course, at this exact moment, the teacher -- Dr. Birdland -- hasn't arrived yet, and so the screens are blank and vaguely luminescent, creating what seems to be an airless void all around you -- but that's ridiculous, of course. Even so, most of the students are keeping their distance from the glass...

Leah: What was the last thing you said to your mom, directly? Also, what, exactly, is this black stain on your desk? ...that's a rhetorical question, because it's huge and horrifying and fascinatingly gross. What do you do?

Victaria: When was the last time you saw Katie? Also, you got a text from David a few minutes back:
code:
That Tanya girl says she's se
That was it. He went offline shortly afterwards. What do you think's going on?

Isaiah: Who here makes you wariest? Whose small open cut can you smell at pretty much any distance?

Erica: What about the construction of this "class space" (classroom isn't quite right) doesn't make sense to you? Who dropped their wallet in the hallway?

Aparajita: You had the dream again the other night, right? How was it different than normal? What is that irritating keening sound?

Ivy: Christ, that test last week was brutal, wasn't it? How do you think you did? What did you do for Icy last night that wasn't all that unpleasant?

Everyone: You've got some free time saved up for this week -- what are you planning to use it on?

Ivy, highlight Erica, and Erica, highlight Dark
    Aparajita, highlight Ivy, and Ivy, highlight Volatile
    Isaiah, highlight Aparajita, and Aparajita, highlight Volatile
    Victaria, highlight Isaiah, and Isaiah, highlight Cold
    Leah, highlight Victaria, and Victaria, highlight Hot
    Erica, highlight Leah, and Leah, highlight Cold

OOC Thread
String Sheet

Seating chart:
code:
[Will  ][Kinsley][Ximena][Tanya ][Arthur][Erica ]
[Ryker ]                                 [Aparajita]
[Scott ]                                 [Ivy]
[June  ]                                 [Isaiah]
[Brantley]                               [Sanya]
[George][Julie ][Vicky ][Brita][Leo   ]  [Leah]
Go nuts, as long as you link to your character sheet in the process.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Hot -1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 2
Harm 0/4 EXP 0/5 Conditions: Nope

Aah ,Tanis! It's such an interesting school, full of mysteries. Some of these are more worrying than others, but all of them interest me, and I'm ready to get right down to them! For example, did you know that the roof isn't on the roof? The roof that the elevators take you up to definitely is not all the way up there. See, I've timed the speed of the elevators at full acceleration between floors, and compared it to the best measurements I can get of the top of the building you can see from outside Tanis. Despite seeing a sky, despite seeing things around you? That's not the 'homeroom' we have. That's not on the roof, we're definitely still inside the building. The measurements don't add up, at the speed we travel, we would have only gotten maybe half way up through the building. I wonder what the reason for this whole complicated dealie is? I mean, like. It's pretty obvious if you pay attention, and what's the point of building an entire fake outside in here, or at least a fake sky and a pretty good fake 'ground' to look down at. I've been meaning to, thusly, travel the upper floors... But it's difficult to get permission, since a lot of that stuff's only for seniors and staff. It's /definitely/ suspicious as hell.

Aaanyways, that's not important right now- I mean, it is, but I've known that for a long time now. What iiiiis important is that I found a wallet! IT's not a super special important wallet, but it is definitely a wallet. It was in my dorm hall, which is weird, because of all the people this could be the wallet of? It's Mr. Birdland's wallet, conveniently indicated by the ID of Mr. Birdland in it. Not to mention the cute family photos! Which, uh. I may have taken one of, just in case. ... And the twenty bucks that was sitting in it. But then I had a wallet, and nothing else I could really use it for now that I have an emotionally charged artifact and snack money, so I sent it back down to the lost and found. So now I have, among my possessions, something I can use to test out science on Mr. Birdland. Awesome. So! First class of the day, the screens are all off (I was impressed by them at first, but then I realized they're pretty much just touch-screens that show video, along with connections to a few doodads the teachers have.), and I have nothing to do at the moment.

So I suppose I should... do that thing. The... social thing. I mean, I still have to make friends here, I suppose. So, I turn over to Ap... Apar... Aparajita , I think? I need to find a nickname for her, I'm not going to be able to remember that, and it's going to be embarassing when I forget. Anyways, I turn to her and give her a grin, nudging her with an elbow. "So, what's up? Think Mr. Birdland's late for any particular reason?" I think I know why, honestly, but... Maybe it's not just getting the wallet, but related to why he was in our dorm at all? That's something I want to investigate, when I've got a moment. The Mystery of What The gently caress Birdland was doing. And also, possibly , what the hell's up with this classroom. Really, exploring in general.

That Leah girl's pretty interesting, by the way. I don't know what it is about her, she's just so Dark and mysterious.

quote:

Name: Erica Granteed
Skin: WitchMad Scientist
Origin: Long Line of Scientists
Look: Coy, Playful Eyes

Stats: Hot - 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 2

Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

 Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
} the casting does you 1 harm;
} the Hex has unexpected side effects;
} trigger your Darkest Self.

Illusions
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

Binding
The person cannot physically harm others.

Sanctuary
You have a secret place for wonder-working. Add 1 to all rolls you make within this space.

Sex Move
After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them.They know about it, and it’s cool.

Darkest Self
The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Nea fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 30, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Hot 1 Cold 2 Volatile -1 Dark -1
Harm 0/4 Experience 0+1/5 Conditions:

Sunlight, sunlight on my skin, refracted and reflected in this weird prism they call a classroom. They really wanted this place to feel like the future, but of course the effect is spoiled a little by all the teenagers in our boringly contemporary fashion living our boring, petty, contemporary lives. I wonder what we were wearing in the concept art for this place - jetpacks and goggles maybe, while we talked philosophy and the imminent revolution. Yeah, not happening.

It's just as well it's sunny, since I'm still feeling cynical after Mother's email this morning, with her analysis of my last report. Too technical, she said, and too speculative. Fewer maps, more geography. I sent her back the most diplomatic reply I could manage, namely 'whatever', but the criticism stung. It's not the first time she's told me to try harder at integrating socially. And I suppose I'm meant to be in the company of the most interesting teenagers in the country. Well, I've got some free time this week. I suppose I could try to get to know some of them better.

Of course, all of that goes straight out of my head when I reach my place in the corner, and see this... gunk on the desk. What the hell? Nobody else has anything like this on their desk. And what exactly is it? It looks slick but it's matte, not iridescent, and it's completely odourless... probably not oil, then. At least I don't think so. Chemistry was never my strong suit.

I gingerly scoop some up in a tissue. Now what? I could take it to one of the labs, later, but I wouldn't know what to do with it, and it wouldn't solve the issue of my desk being covered in this crap. So what should... ah, of course. Why do this alone? I've got Little Miss Super Scientist in my class, after all. I stride on over to Erica's desk. I think she's trying to strike up a conversation with that Aparajita girl, but I'm sure she'll find this more interesting.

"Hey. Erica? Could you take a look at this? It's all over my desk, and I've got no idea what it is. You ever seen anything like it?"

Shut down Aparajita: 2d6+2 10
Taking a string. Experience for Cold.

Victaria, highlight Dark.

e: adjusted to reflect the prompt about free time

Gato fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 30, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Hot: 2 Cold: 1 Vol: -1 Dark: -1
XP: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions:

What a rotten morning. This school hasn't grown grotesque with time, far from it in fact. The slick corridors and towering buildings add to the pervading sense of wrongness that permeates ever inch of this rotten compound, and the teachers and students are hardly an improvement. Spoiled elitists and lapdogs, near all of them. To make things even worse, I stayed up too late yesterday night, trying to analyze maps of the school, so this morning I am far from relaxed. Even when I'd finally gone to bed, still had to reflect on how to handle the Katie situation. She knows too much I think, but she's not one of us. What to do... I'd planned on thinking about just it this morning, but David's message to me presents a secondary objective. Tanya's se(en) what, exactly? Do I focus on taking Katie off the board, or on Tanya? Staring at my tablet screen, eyes entirely unfocused, hand holding my head up while I contemplate the possibilities, I-

"Morning Victaria!" Brita says as she sits down, disrupting my concentration in a gesture of ritualistic friendliness. "Sleep well?"

"Oh, good morning Brita." I answer, looking exceptionally sleepy - but with such a pleasant smile despite it. Turning towards her, sit up in my chair a little, pulling my hand away from my face. I have to do my best to seem perfectly ordinary, after all, and being on good terms with the people that sit around me in class is always a good idea. "No, I got distracted playing video games, so I didn't get much sleep." I even look a little embarrassed about it, too, though of course it's a lie. "You look great though, must've got the sleep I needed, right?"

Julie and George show up while Brita and I make small talk for a while, and they're both able to feel that I'm not actually paying attention to her at all. I'm trying to plan a revolution, I don't have time to talk to Brita about the weather. It's been two days since I've seen Katie, and she was extra smug last time, so she's planning something - and David's tried to alert me to something, even if his phone's off now. I need to make a decision, what takes priority?

While Brita makes some trite observation about how fast the elevators are here, I glance over at Tanya. What could David have been trying to tell me? Due to our mental connection, I can just read his brain I think, even at this distance. And since his phone's off, might as well contact him this way. Sweeping a hand across my face, ostensibly adjusting my hair, I reach out to David. What has Tanya se [...]?

<Rauri> Gaze about David via Streaming
<godfish> :colbert:
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 4 = 4
<Rauri> eww
<godfish> starting off strong Rauri
Hard move + marking xp.

Isaiah doesn't seem suitable for my cause, but he's definitely still Hot. This is a problem for me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot -1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +1 | Dark +2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: None

I let out a contented sigh and lean back in my chair, maaaybe taking a peak or two and my handsome seat-neighbor as I do. The brisk, rather chilly air up this high is pleasantly refreshing, and the warm air that gets pumped out of the roof floor itself mixes with that to create an interesting mixture of warm comfort and cool awareness. It's certainly help taking my mind away from my studies. The last test was a pain, but I'm fairly confident I'll place in the upper portion of the class- I knew a good chunk of answers, even if it took me almost the entire test time to answer them, and may have copied several more from more studied students nearby, and of course I let Icy take the lead on the multiple choice questions.

Icy seemed to be in a pretty good mood last weekend, not sure why, but what she wanted me to do was probably my favorite thing yet- a little risky, I would have got in a lot of trouble if I got caught, but basically, you know those little janitor-closets on every floor of a dorm, the ones with cleaning supplies but all the wiring and piles and controls and stuff for that floor? Well one of them was unlocked, so she had me sneak in and fiddle with the settings a bit, we found the 'automated fire drill' thing, and set it to trigger around the time most of the dorm is taking their showers. So we had a drill, and everyone had to go run outside, and like, half the guys were half naked, and a bunch of staff had to stop to check what was wrong, so we were out there for awhile. And mMMmmm do we have some good looking guys.

Oh- I was almost drooling there, pull yourself together girl. I flush, and glance between Aparajita and Isaiah to see if anyone noticed. Speaking of hot guys, free time, and Isaiah, I lean over towards him, grinning, my cheeks still a little flushed from my previous thoughts. "So Isaiah, you got any plans for this weekend?"

6:31:05 PM godfish turn on Isaiah
6:31:09 PM godfish !r 2d6-1
6:31:10 PM Krysmbot godfish, 6-1 = 5
6:31:25 PM godfish knew I should have gone for the bargain :x

Erica, highlight Hot.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Harm 0/4 EXP 1/5 Conditions: Nope

So I was right in the middle of being social and friendly when suddenly Leah approaches, holding some black goop in her hands. Of course, goop interests me, at least goop that appears to be interesting, like this goop. So, I peer down at it as she asks me what it was- I can get back to talking later- and give it a good, long look. So. There's a tissue of black goop, and that goop's... Organic? I think it's pulsing a little, that's always a bad sign. So we've got some sort of organic weird goop, it's moving, and it's definitely not something I've seen before - It's alive, it's probably not supposed to be in here, and if I have to guess it's probably some sort of example that Birdman brought for us. Now, I don't know what Birdlord's purpose is, besides Probably Learning, but it's something /I/ don't know, so he's clearly got something going on. Let's see. Organic, doesn't look like it's breathing, so it's oxygen doesn't necessarily come from breath, just absorption slash osmosis. Anyways. I'm going to need to do /in depth analysis/.

So I look at it. Really hard, and wait for the answer to come to me, as I stare at it's qualities, let myself drift off and compare and think and find... Let the knowledge of ages past and ages future enter my head, let the true understanding of Moldy Black Goop Things arrive in a glorious light!

Or something, anyways.

<Neopie> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Neopie, 7+2 = 9
<Neopie> Well, that's almost a ten.
Gaze into the Abyss- Confusing, please. Taking an XP for it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

I'm still thinking about last night. I still had that dream. Hurting and killing people. But this time...uh, well...Ivy was in it. Sort of. I was making sure no one could hurt her, and it felt great. Not that she'd like that in real life I'm sure! And I kept waking up, which is unusual. Usually I just sleep through it until morning. I...don't know why. Well, maybe I know why I might think about Ivy, but not the other stuff. And right now, there's some noise going on. It's making it a little hard to focus. I thought someone else would say something, but no one is. So...maybe I'm the only one who can hear it? It sounds like a drill, so perhaps some construction is going on? But then why is no one else mentioning it?

I look up as Erica stats talking about Mr. Birdland. I start to respond with "Yeah, it's odd - " but then Leah just comes up and...interrupts! And Erica starts talking with her instead. I frown, but...fine. I look over at Ivy, but she's talking to Isaiah. Well, maybe I can join in? I lean against Ivy for a moment before realizing what I'm doing. I jerk back.

"Oh! Sorry Ivy! Just a little tired."

Turn Ivy On: 2d6+1 5

Ivy is hot and Cold at the same time

quote:

Look: Wiry, Predatory eyes

Origin: Ancestral power

Stats

Moves:

Scent of Blood
Add 1 to all rolls against those who have been harmed in this scene already.

Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self

You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Advances

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Erica: Inspiration shoots through you like a lightning bolt into a church spire. You catch fleeting glimpses of your own ideas -- prevalent among them the dream of a puddle of the same substance on a desk in the middle of an endlessly wide field of probabilities. The black mess shudders and -- in retroactive analysis -- constitutes itself into something about the size of a rat a la nanite-based creation of life, which shrieks with a mouth that is half-formed and runs off into the distance -- at the end of which, choking the divine science, you picture a huge, white wall riddled with black holes.

Victaria: As you think with David's mind, you get the brief sense of peace that accompanies all your forays out of yourself, followed by an abrupt rush of tension and disgust and bone-weariness... oh, and there's the tower of heaven jutting through the remains of the surface of the world in a starburst of little writhing --

[please stand by]

"...Victaria? Victaria, hello? Hello--o?" David -- no, that's Brita, isn't it -- is watching you with an expression of deep concern. "Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you didn't sleep well."

Take the condition Spaced Out.

Ivy: As you lean in and try to deliver your line, Aparajita unexpectedly leans into your lean, throwing you off balance; for a moment, you teeter on the border between staying up and hitting the ground, but gravity wins out even over luck and deposits you on the warm, hard tile. Take 1 harm.

Aparajita: ...well, your timing could've been better. Take the condition Clumsy.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 30, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 2x | Cold 1 | Volatile -1| Dark -1
Harm 0/4 EXP 1/5 Conditions:

I glance at Victaria for the third time this morning. The girl is driven, but... not by anything she talks about. I'd think she was a hunter if she hadn't saved my life earlier this week. But she still hasn't brought up that little incident. I'd have thought she'd have tried to grill me by now. Not that I'd tell her anything important but... still. It was unsettling, waiting for the other shoe to drop. I just hope she does it before the weekend. I've made plans with Leo to go to the arcade, and I really don't want to waste time while I'm in town talking about my ~mysterious past.~

Oh, and June is staring right through me today. But, that's sort of a relief. I mean, she bothers everyone. If she started acting normal, I'd be more worried.

But, the thing that's really got me on edge is Leah. I'm studiously looking anywhere at her, though. I can smell her blood. I don't know what's wrong with her, but she's got some cut on her. And dear Lord, I can smell it from here. I don't know what's different about her, but she might as well be waving it under my nose. It's maddening. I really need to distract myself, and as if right on cue, Ivy leans over to talk to me, . However, before I can answer, she takes a dive as Aparajita leans on her. I see her bounce on the ground, and suddenly she's got a little cut as well!

This is really getting to be too much!

I stand up out of my chair and kneel next to her, saying, "Are you ok?" My eyes quickly look her over (purely for any injury, you understand), and once I see that she's fine (except for the damnable cut she got), I put my arms under her armpits to help her off the ground and back into her chair. Once she's back in her seat, I mention, "Like you asked earlier, I'm planning on hanging out with Leo abit. What about yourself?"

<Capfalcon> Turn on Ivy
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 7+2 = 9

Aparajita really is aggressive. She's got to be less hot under the collar.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 30, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: None

"S'alr-waaah!" My chair was balancing on two legs for a second as I start to respond to Aparajita and reach for the desk to catch myself, but the sudden movement is apparently enough to throw it out of the equilibrium, and I go toppling over.

"Oww..." I didn't land too badly, just scraped my elbow mainly, but ugh thats going to be sensitive all day now. Before I can pick myself up, Isaiah is all over me, making sure I'm alright and giving me a lift up. "Yeah, I'm alright." I barely suppress a shiver as he lifts me up and back into my seat, and I can't stop grinning. Not mad at you at all Aparajita, this is great~ I flash her a smile to let her know I'm alright and not angry, then turn back to Isaiah again. "Thanks Isaiah." Lets get back on track here. "Don't have anything planned yet really, was thinking of going to see a movie..." I let the sentence trail off into an open, obvious invitation.

8:38:56 PM godfish turn on Isaiah!
8:38:59 PM godfish !r 2d6-1
8:38:59 PM Krysmbot godfish, 7-1 = 6
8:39:02 PM godfish hahahaha
8:39:03 PM godfish :X

Offering what she thinks (hopes) Isaiah wants, a date.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 30, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 0+1/5 | Conditions: Clumsy

Oh no! At least she's all right? But she is bleeding. Which I can't help but notice. "Here, let me help." I take out a handkerchief and hold it to the wound.

Turn Ivy On: 2d6+2 6 Includes +1 from Scent of Blood

Marking XP for rolling Hot

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Harm 0/4 EXP 2/5 Conditions: Nope

Oh my god. No loving way, if that's real- no, it can't be, I couldn't even make this junk, and my family's the best in the world! This can't possibly be that- Biological nanites? Shifting and changing and reforming, creating new techniques and new things and- oh, wow. This is awesome, this is amazing! But there's no way Leah'll believe me when I tell her. I mean, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't just seen it! Ooh man, ooh man. I need a sample of this, I'll have to ask Birdmeister later. This is /freaking cool/.

"IT's, uh. How do I explain this? It's a sort of biological clay. It can turn into different things, be molded into different shapes and remain alive. Careful, though, I don't know what it eats." I say, while poking a finger at it. Wow. Tanis has much more advanced technology than I thought- now it's /imperative/ that I break into their labs and find their secrets. /So rad./

"Does that make any sense? I think, theoretically, it's supposed to be able to change into other substances too, but, uh... It's experimental, pretty recent. You have to follow a lot of science journals to know about it, I don't know how much the school must have spent to get a sample." I hope they can't tell I'm lying, trying to explain that away without, uh, mad science powers. I don't think it was a very good lie, though.

ANYWAYS! That's completed, now to do my SOCIAL THING again! So I turn back to Aparajita and oops she's staring at someone else, who is now on the floor... And then they're back up and they seem fine! Perfect. So I give them a big large smile, and rub the back of my head. "Um. Sorry about that, ehe. Didn't mean to get distracted on you!"

I hope my smile's not too weird.

Turn On Para
<Neopie> More hard moves?
* Nown|Phone has quit (Connection reset by peer)
<Neopie> LET'S loving FIND OUT
<Neopie> !roll 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Neopie, 6-1 = 5
<Neopie> YEEEAAAAH
marking xp

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Ivy: Today is seriously not your day -- and, besides, Aparajita's got her handkerchief against your face as you speak, squishing your cheek in a distinctly unattractive way, like she's actively conspiring against you. Behind Isaiah, Sanya watches you, faintly puzzled by what seems to be a Two Stooges act. Sanya takes a string on you.

Aparajita: You push Ivy out of her chair again.

Kidding! But -- for whatever reason -- you have difficulty pulling your handkerchief away from Ivy's face, like it were stuck in or impaled on... something. And your fingers feel faintly cold... The Daughter of Hoarfrost and Starlight takes a string on Aparajita.

Erica: Thinking about the apparent nanite substance has apparently consumed more of your concentration than you know, because your smile is sort of... skewed, like you're trying to make it through a film of conceptual glass; a few people near Leah subtly shift away from you. Take the condition Strange-Looking.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 30, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

XP: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Spaced Out

That was certainly odd, and more than a little worrying. Still, have to react to Brita being right in my face before I can ponder it more deeply. "Yeah, guess so," I respond abashedly, rubbing the back of my head with my hand and closing my eyes to emphasize just how sleepy I want her to believe I am. Heck, I even add on a big faked yawn too, which makes Brita giggle once so I guess she bought it.

Lapsing into silence, I keep my eyes closed and try to focus on what I'd just seen. What was that? Why did it... feel wrong that time? Something to do with the school? Or David - and is he alright? Sharing a glance with Julie, she can feel my concern and confusion through our mental link, and I may need her help in a moment or two.

Flipping to my homework on my tablet before turning back to Brita, who seems to be finishing hers, I'll at least figure out what's going on with Katie before class - and as luck would have it, she and Brita get along. "Brita, you're friends with Katie right?" I don't know if Katie thinks that's true, but Brita does, and hearing it from someone else should reassure her. "I think she's planning something, do you know anything about it?" I ask, as if I'm just curious about it, some random detail I'm idly inquiring about.

"She's trying to prank Victaria." Julie chimes in over my shoulder, like I wanted her to. Since I didn't mention it, it doesn't look like I knew - and it's a very reasonable explanation for wanting to know the details of her friend's activities.

Rolling my eyes in pretend-irritation at Julie having given that 'secret' away, I nod in reluctant affirmation. "Yeah... c'mon Brita, could you just, maybe give me a hint or something?

<Rauri> Manipulate Brita
<Rauri> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5+2 = 7
What do you want to reveal Katie's activities to me?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 Experience 1+1/5 Conditions:

Erica spaces out and stares at the stuff for a few moments. That's a pretty convincing super scientist act she's got. Anyway, she says it's... biological clay? That can change shape and... eats stuff? What. Does she mean some sort of nanotechnology? I'm not completely ignorant, but I thought that sort of tech was firmly in the science-fiction section. It's experimental, apparently (well, duh, people would be out in the streets if this sort of thing were made public) but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised Erica's up to date with the cutting edge. Well, I'm sure she'll appreciate it if I leave the sample with her, then.

"Uh, thanks, Erica. Now I just need to get it off the desk..." I trail off as Ivy and Aparajita tumble onto the floor, followed by Isaiah diving to the rescue. Guess chivalry's not dead then. I roll my eyes and head back to my desk. Sanya's watching the circus act - I shrug as I pass her. "I don't even know." I sit in the chair, carefully avoiding the nano-gunk on the desk. If it eats stuff, I don't want it anywhere near my skin, especially not with this drat cut on my hand, the one I got rummaging around in a blind panic when my bracelet was stolen. Dammit, I don't want to think about that... I need to distract myself. "So who do you think's after what?" I mutter to Sanya. "Let me know if anything interesting happens."

Manipulate Sanya: 2d6+1 8
What will it take to get Sanya to keep an eye out and give Leah her impressions?

I don't wait for an answer, but take my tablet out instead. I take a quick picture of the crap on my desk with my Glass and feed it into an image search. Then I start my search algorithms running on the tablet, starting with some of the words Erica used vs anything with the nano* prefix. Tabs blossom across the screen like flowers unfolding, while abbreviated headlines cascade past my eye.

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6-1 8
What is the black gunk? Confusing and alarming please. Experience for Dark.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Victaria: Brita seems intrigued at first, but her face sags a little when Katie mentions the "prank" aspect of it. "I hate pranking. It seems like such a waste of time and effort just to ruin someone's day..." Abruptly, she brightens up. "...but if I tell you what I've seen, and then I tell Katie that I told you, then the whole affair is off! Alright?" She'll tell you if you'll give her permission to tell Katie that you were asking after her.

Leah: Sanya gives you a hesitant thumbs-up. "Got it... and, um, would you mind talking to Ivy for me? I've still got a few problems left to do, and this is sort of distracting." That's the deal.

You're not paying too much attention, though -- instead, as you stare at your Glass, watching search spikes and flares of information coalescing into a semicoherent image, a huge black sea of pure junk information. At the bottom of the spire, the sludge, flickering with internet noise and futurists' technobabble, coheres and spirals up into an indistinct living creature -- beaked, horned, shelled? -- that flaps into the air before screeching and decaying back into nothingness, splattering into the now-dark Glass screen.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 2x | Cold 1 | Volatile -1| Dark -1
Harm 0/4 EXP 1/5 Conditions:

I can't help but smirk slightly as Aparsjita dotes on Ivy. I say, "Well, if you manage to detach yourself from Aparsijta without ending up in the infirmary, I think that sounds like fun." Ivy is pretty cute. She'd be fun to hang out with.

As I'm talking, I turn so I can put an arm over the back of my chair and lean on my hand. Which means that when Erica moves the glass again, she's looking right at me.. The glass works both ways, slightly distorting my features into something much sharper and predatory.

<Capfalcon> Shut down Aparsjita
<Capfalcon> Tagging clumsy
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 4+2 = 6
<Capfalcon> Well, I don't want to join the fail train, so I'll spend a string.

Aparsijita can take clingy and give one back.

<Capfalcon> Turning on the strange looking Erica
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 8+3 = 11
Take a string on her

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Clumsy, Clingy

I yank back the handkerchief as my fingers get so cold. What...? Before I can think about that anymore, Isaiah starts making fun of me! I glare at him.

"I was only trying to help, you don't have to be rude about it!"

Giving Isaiah the condition Rude

I can feel an urge to just...shove him against the floor. Teach him not to do that again. Instead I just grip my desk. "It's not like you weren't trying to help either so I don't know why you're insulting me."

Shut Isaiah Down: 2d6 6 Includes +1 from Rude

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Aparajita: Freaking Isaiah. Doesn't know how pretty he is and thinks he's above the rules, or some poo poo like that -- well, you know that no one is above the rules. Sink or swim on your own merits, right? Win or lose. Strike or be struck! Kill or be killed!

...there's a thin, quiet crack, and faint but unmistakeable grooves and hairline fractures in the desk where you've been gripping.

Take the condition Don't Know Your Own Strength.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 Experience 2/5 Conditions:

As I expected, I simply don't know enough science to be able to research this properly. I can't penetrate the actual technical references, and useful lay-oriented information is drowning in a sea of fearmongering and speculation. The image that coalesces is terrifying, the collective nightmare of an imagined future, wrapped around the word alive. Which is all very intimidating, but there's an obvious disconnect between this horrifying vision and the mundane, if gross, stuff on my desk.

I sigh. Need to get some space between me and the problem. Or just wait for Birdland to sort it out. I turn back to Sanya and nod. "Sure." I suppose I can't blame her for not wanting to get involved in... whatever's going on. I raise my voice sharply. "Hey, could you all simmer down over there? Not everyone signed up for drama club." My gaze lingers on Ivy in particular. She started the whole mess, I think, and I know she likes the attention.

Shut down Ivy: 2d6+1 11
Giving her the condition Attention Seeker.

I look back at Sanya. "You alright? So what did I miss?"

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Harm 0/4 EXP 2/5 Conditions:Strange-Looking

Aaand she's not paying attention to me! Well, I suppose fair's fair , I did in fact not pay attention to her. So anyways, uuugh. Socially failed! But on the bright side, Birdbird should be here soon, and then I can ask him about hard data on this stuff, assuming it's here on purpose. So! What to do now? Oh! There are people looking at me. Sure, some of them don't look so happy but then there's Isaiah who- WOOOAH. What the actual hell? He looks... distorted. Large, open mouth, jutting teeth, and weird, slitted eyes- and then suddenly he looks normal again. Huh. Not really like me to hallucinate, did I not get enough sleep? Well, I /never/ get enough sleep, but who needs sleep? No sense sleeping when there's television, games, and science to do.

So I smile back, trying not to gently caress it up /again/ , and give him a little wave. "Heeey, there! Uh, what's going on with you, heh?" Wow. What a stunning display of Social Prowess. I deserve a gosh-darned /medal/. Anyways, I turn towards him, and grin, my glasses glinting in the school's light. "So, /class/, am I right?" Class. Definitely class.

<Neopie> Okay, I need to make MF cry. Dice, do it.
<Neopie> !roll 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Neopie, 10-1 = 9
<Neopie> Damnit!
<MetalForehead> HAHA
<MetalForehead> THANK YOU, KRYSMBOT
<MetalForehead> A PRINCE AMONGST BOTS
Turn on Isaiah! String, promise, give?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Harm 1/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Attention Seeker

This is getting ridiculous, is Aparajita trying to throw off my chances with Isaiah? But even if she is it doesn't matter because I think he just accepted my invitation to go watch a movie this weekend -hell loving yes! Day is turning up Ivy after all. "Great!" Oh yes, oh yes~ Beaming at him for a moment, I turn back to Aparajita, and gently take the handkerchief and dab it against my elbow a couple times, cleaning up the second scrape.

"Thanks Aparajita, so what were- Hey Hey!" I hold out my hands peaceably, as she lashes back at Isaiah, I guess he was being a little rude, but I think it was supposed to be a joke, I don't want them fighting! "Calm down Apa, it was just a joke. You're both my friends," Erica takes the moment to start talking to Isaiah, so I keep focused on Aparajita, hopefully it'll simmer down now. "So, what-" And I'm cut off again this time by Leah who apparently decided that I was the one causing all this silliness! I turn to glare at her for a moment, pointing to myself and mouthing 'ME?' really obviously, trying to play up the injured innocence. Which I AM!

12:43:56 PM godfish shut down Leah
12:44:18 PM godfish !r 2d6-1
12:44:18 PM Krysmbot godfish, 6-1 = 5
EXP for Cold

GodFish fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 30, 2015

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Leah: Sanya starts for a second, then smiles, vaguely embarrassed. "Well, erm... I think I overheard Victaria talking with Brita about some kind of prank a little while ago, although I don't know how relevant that is to what you're asking. I'm pretty sure someone broke something, too, although I don't exactly know what -- couldn't pinpoint --" Then Ivy mouths something at you, with emphatic gestures that Sanya apparently is taking personally -- she shrinks back and says nothing more.

Ivy: Apparently, your angle's off -- Sanya catches a glimpse of you and winces, a little, as if you're intentionally antagonizing her, which you're clearly not -- but since when has that ever stopped her from taking things personally? Take the condition Antagonistic.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Yes! Brita's agreed to do exactly what I wanted her to do. I'll learn a bit about what Katie's up to, and what's more - she'll report to Katie what happened, who'll then either have to put her plan into action immediately, or modify it greatly. And all because Brita's decided to be such a useful pawn.

Still, not exactly going to say any of that. Instead I just smile tiredly at her, looking as if she's doing me some huge favor. I need her to think I'm incredibly relieved. "Yeah Brita, thanks. That'd really help me out; I can't stand pranks either."

<Rauri> Turn on Brita
<Rauri> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6+2 = 8

Tell me everything, Brita. And while you do, perhaps I'll modify your brain - just a little of course - so I can listen to your memories of talking to Katie about her plan.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 2x | Cold 1x | Volatile -1| Dark -1
Harm 0/4 EXP 2/5 Conditions:

When Aparajita snaps back at me, I don't even look away from Ivy, but then I hear the desk crack. Which... uh... is a bit worrisome? I mean, I must have really gotten under her skin. Also, dear Lord is she strong. So, I trying to mollify her, saying, "Oh, I was just playing around. Sorry that it came out the wrong way." I give her a charming smile. Ivy seems to be trying to calm her down too, so I don't feel bad talking to Erica when she walks up to me.

Which, my first step is not laughing at her. I mean, I know she's a bit of a dork, but what do you even say to a line like, "So, /class/, am I right?"

But, what can I say? She's charming in her own earnest dorkiness.
Take a string

I chuckle and say, "Yes. Class." I tell her, "Oh, you know, the usual. Keeping on top of work. Just whiling away the hours until we're all huge successes, just like the other graduates." I mentally add, Or disappear off the face of the Earth like the ones they don't talk about. I say, "So, what project are you working on now?" I gesture towards the ooze she's holding and give her my undivided attention. Now, closer, I look much more normal. Well, normal is underselling it. I know that I'm quite handsome. I lean in, looking at the ooze she's been playing with, honestly curious about it.

<Capfalcon> Turn on Erica
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 7+2 = 9

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Clumsy, Clingy, Don't Know Your Own Strength

When I hear the desk cracking, I freeze. Okay, okay, just...calm down. I let go of the desk.

"Yeah, okay. Sorry." I smile back at Isaiah to let him know everything's fine before he starts talking to Erica.

Turn Isaiah On: 2d6+1 7
Self/Promise/String

Meanwhile, it looks like Ivy and Leah are glaring at each other? I don't know what happened, but I bet Leah did something to start it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Harm 1/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Attention Seeker, Antagonistic

Aparajita's calmed down at least, so that's something, but somehow trying to communicate with Leah has freaked out Sanya for some reason? Ugh. Whatever. I've had enough of this, so I turn back towards Isaiah, just in time to see him and Erica sharing what looks like flirtations. Nope! Not happening, not right after he accepted my invitation for a date, back off girl. [Icy, could use a hand here on the landing~] I start leaning my chair back again, looking over at the two of them, "What's that goo stuff Ericaaaaah!" And I fall over, me and my chair smacking into Erica. Whoops~

6:48:09 PM godfish lash out physically
6:48:11 PM godfish !r 2d6+1
6:48:12 PM Krysmbot godfish, 7+1 = 8
I'll deal one harm, and Erica can lose a string on me. Which she doesn't have. Oh well :v:
Experience for Volatile roll

Also going to give Icy a string to use Elsewise Power, to take Primal Dominance and gain a string on Erica

GodFish fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 31, 2015

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Victaria: Brita smiles back, matching your exhaustion with energy -- and is that a faint blush? "Happy to help, Victaria! I saw Katie a couple of days ago, around the, um, biology labs, I think? Not very well, though -- just for a few seconds -- I think I saw her duck into one of the labs, and when I saw her next, she had a cardboard box. I offered to help carry it, but she said it was going to the teachers' lounge and she'd catch up with me later." (Mental imaging, your psyche between her ears, mostly confirms this -- and leaves you a nice little inroad for later.) Take a string on Brita.

Everyone: There's a soft, but omnipresent "ding" -- something about the acoustics up here magnifies the arrival of the teachers' elevator. Dr. Birdland will be here in less than a minute -- and you know how he expects people to be seated punctually and neatly.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Harm 1/4 EXP 2/5 Conditions:Strange-Looking

"Oh, uh, this? This isn't actually my own project, but rather something Leah showed me. It appears to be some sort of biological clay, if you will, that can be molded into different types of creatures, or will be once it's done being iterated ecetra ecetera. Are you interested? If you want to hang out sometime, I can show you all sorts of stuff like this! I mean, it's my favorite thing, so I'll make time for it."
Promising to Nerd Out with Isaiah sometime- not a date, she's just honestly interested in sharing science with him.

But then something goes /wrong./ There's a crash, as a chair falls towards me in slow motion, that person inside it grinning all the way- yes, Ivy, falling towards me! Unfortunately, it has never been said that I have great reflexes, and I go down with it- that chair smashing into my legs, and sending me tumbling onto the floor- jebus- I would have expected it was an accident if not for that smile, but it doesn't matter because /ow/. That's my legs, and they appear to be bruised. Also, I appear to be on the ground, and in pain. Great. At least I've still got my glasses, I suppose. So I slowly crawl out from under the desk, and get back to my own. Whatever, I can hear his response from my desk anyways.

But Ivy? She's going to suffer. I give her a long glare, making eye contact with her, as I fumble with something in my pocket- the EEF, of course. I just stares and stare and wait for this gosh darned thing to turn on already- and eventually, I've made enough of a connection to where it does. I can feel the power flowing through the air, but I'm going to need to say the activation phrases, without a token. The connection isn't qiute strong enough to get a targer, otherwise. So I mutter "TRANS-WARP SUPERFICIAL DISTURBANCE, QUANTUM SINGULARITY, SUFFERING AND HAPPINESS, TIME-MATTER FIELD-" Of course, none of these words mean anything. But they don't have to. They just have to mean something to me, I think. And, well, I grew up on sci-fi. The words don't have to mean anything, they just have to symbolize their aim- a brighter future, or in this case, loving over Ivy, just a little bit! I mean, I probably shouldn't, I kind of like her and I /definitely/ need to figure out what's up with her head, but...

<Neopie> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Neopie, 9+2 = 11
Hex Ivy. Illusions, non-existent subtext.

Come to think , in all the confusion, I'm not quite sure where the goo went...

Nea fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 31, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 2x | Cold 1x | Volatile -1| Dark -1
Harm 0/4 EXP 2/5 Conditions: Rude

I look over to Aparajita when she apologies and, smiling, say, "Good to hear."
I really did luck out, being in class with so many pretty girls. ...Even if half of them are a bit scary.

Have a string.

I look back towards Erica. Is... she hitting on me? I'm not... opposed to the idea, but it's more of a general question. I genuinely have no idea! I half answer, saying, "Well, if you don't-"

*CRACK*

I blink in surprise a few times, but by the time I figure out exactly what happened, Erica's already back in her desk, muttering something under her breath and glaring at Ivy. Reasonable, I guess. She looks like she bruised her knees pretty bad. ...Except it sounds like she's muttering technobabble. Um... Ok.

...And of course she's bleeding a little. Why wouldn't she be?

Still, I give her a sympathetic wince from across the room.

I look down at Ivy, who took the tumble. She's pretty clumsy. ...I think, anyway. She looks fine, though. I wonder... No, that's not very charitable. She just wanted to join the conversation.

Leaning down from my seat to give her a hand, I gently help her back to her feet as I tell Ivy, half jokingly, "Hey, let's just keep all the chair's legs on the ground from now on. Don't want you taking anymore tumbles."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Harm 1/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Attention Seeker, Antagonistic

I start picking myself up gingerly, forcing an expression of concern onto my face as I look at Erica, "Oh poo poo, sorry Erica." Not sure that was totally convincing though because she's glaring pretty hard at me. Oh well I don't really care if a thief thinks I intentionally hit her or not, its Isaiah I'm interested in, not her. I almost turn away, but I can hear her muttering something, and as I listen, I can catch a few words... it sounds like a bunch of sci-fi catchphrases? What a nerd.

"Yeah, yeah I'll go trans-warp myself, sorry for falling over." I make a face, then look over at Isaiah, and do my best rueful grin. "yeah, probably should. This morning anyway."

10:36:17 AM godfish shut down Erica
10:36:19 AM godfish !r 2d6-1
10:36:19 AM Krysmbot godfish, 3-1 = 2

GodFish fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 31, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Always good to have a vague idea what's going on around you. Target fixation is a very easy trap to fall into. I should let Sanya know I appreciate the effort: "No, that's good to know, thanks for keeping -" but of course Ivy won't just shut up like I wanted her to. She's retaliating, escalating even, and poor Sanya's looking distinctly unhappy with it. Ugh. I'd love to keep trading insults with her, but the whole point of this was to get Sanya some peace.

I tap her on the shoulder. "Ignore her. Guess we missed the memo about International Clown Day." Out of the corner of my eye I can see something starting with Erica, Ivy and Isaiah, but nope, not getting involved. "You ok? Sorry I couldn't do more." My hand's still hovering awkwardly, so I rest it on her shoulder. A gesture of affection, to remind her how we depend on each other. That's basically how friendship works, right? "Don't let it get to you."

Turn On Sanya: 2d6+1 10
Taking a string.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Clumsy, Clingy, Don't Know Your Own Strength

I don't know what Erica is muttering or why she's saying...whatever it is so angrily, but for some reason she's blaming Ivy for falling over?

"Erica it was just an accident, you don't have to get mad at her for it." I turn to look at Ivy. Guess she's okay, so that's good.

Shut Erica Down: 2d6 4 Includes +1 from Scent of Blood

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 31, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

“Oh, well thanks for telling me Brita.”

Oh yes, thanks indeed… So Katie’s taken something from the biology labs? Given how bizarre this place is, that could be pretty bad for me. Is she actually trying to hurt My Cause, though, or just mess with me – even flirt with me? I suppose there’s a few ways to find out, but let’s take the easy one.

While it looks like I’m rubbing my right eye with my hand, that’s merely a pretext. It takes a second to activate Psyche projection, and eye contact certainly helps with it. She fixates, as I assumed she would – and then I stop, grinning at her as I send a copy of some of myself into her brain. There’s some rewriting involved that I can actually feel, even though it’s in her brain and not mine, and now… Welcome to the Cause, Brita.

Spending my string on Brita to give her the One of Them condition. Brita's designation is Pawn.

“Good luck in convincing Katie to put a stop to things, Brita.” I tell my newest pawn with a grin. I’ll just watch her memories of how things went later, see if I can’t figure out what Katie is really up to. The bell dings, indicating the teacher’s arrival in a minute or so. Pulling my homework back up on my tablet, I look over towards an impressed Julie and bemused George with an inscrutable expression, though they can surely feel my satisfaction. This morning’s started going a bit better – now, to figure out what’s up with Tanya and David next.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 31, 2015

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Ivy: Pretty nice to have Isaiah helping you up, right? "Don't go taking any more tumbles," he says, "unless you want to crack yourself like an egg on the asphalt. Though that would be funny." What? What the hell kind of sentence was that? It didn't sound like him, either -- sort of a thin voice, like someone subvocalizing inside your ears. Did you even hear that? "drat funny," says the wheedling voice, and you can hear a chorus -- "drat funny," "drat funny" -- all around you... time to hold steady.

Leah: Sanya seems... well, kind of comforted, really, which isn't a standard reaction to physical contact for her. Maybe you're getting better at this weird human pastime called friendship. "Don't worry about it... I'll manage."

Aparajita: No one's listening to you, apparently -- though you catch a little of Erica's weird mantra amidst the tumult and the sound of the bells. Sounds like... uh, science fiction jabbering, and also... veiled threats. Anger? Insinuations of violence? Except those clearly aren't the words you're hearing... and they're making your hackles rise. Hold steady.

Victaria: Brita's psyche-fragment eases into her mind, slowly and softly, and she blinks once or twice, dealing with a sudden influx of cognitive dissonance. "...Of course, Victaria," she says, hurrying to her seat, sounding not quite present. "We're all on the same side here." After the briefest of conversations, she's sitting straighter, with her mind open like a cathedral... you're pretty lucky, aren't you? Who here have you controlled before?

Everyone: Finally, Dr. Birdland arrives -- a stout man in his forties with a smile like a stock photo. "Apologies, everyone," he says, on just the far side of casual. "Lost my wallet this morning -- but I'm certain it'll turn up sometime soon." He glances around, confirming the class is all in attendance, then taps at his console, triggering the weird, vaguely nauseating minimalist-kaleidoscope designs that accompany the boot of the screens. "I'm assuming everyone's done the readings -- so, if you will, take out your copies of The Politicization of Disbelief."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Harm 1/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Attention Seeker, Antagonistic, Terrified

What! No- Isaiah wouldn't say that! He wanted to go see a movie with me, he wouldn't! I stare at him for a second, then look around me in a bit of a panic at the other voices, what was going on?! What was going on? Practically shouting my thought, I turn inward, to Icy's comforting presence. [Icy, what the hell is going on?!]

2:42:18 PM godfish_ hold steady (+2 from the power flows within you)
2:42:20 PM godfish_ !r 2d6+1
2:42:21 PM Krysmbot godfish_, 7+1 = 8
I'll take Terrified, give Icy a string on me, and ask the MC/Icy a question, what the hell is going on?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Birdland barely registers any of us before he pitches into the lesson. On the one hand, at least he's in the dark about the whole mess to my right. On the other hand, I really need this stuff off my desk. I don't bother raising my hand - it wouldn't hurt to draw a little more attention to this anyway.

"Dr Birdland? There's some... uh, unusual matter on my desk. Is there anything you can do about it?" I look around theatrically. "Seriously, you guys should see this stuff, it's gross." I don't say it to anyone in particular, but throw it out there, promising imminent disruption unless the good doctor takes charge right away.

Manipulate Dr Birdland: 2d6+1 10
The motive/threat is the possibility of the class derailing if he doesn't handle it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 1+1/5 | Conditions: Clumsy, Clingy, Don't Know Your Own Strength

What? What...what is Erica doing? I...don't know, but I have to stop her!

Hold Steady: 2d6 10 Includes +1 from Scent of Blood
Removing Clumsy

I jump up and tackle her to the ground, pinning her there. I hiss out, "What did you just do?!" She better answer me.

Lash Out At Erica: 2d6+3 7 Includes +1 from Scent of Blood
Erica takes 1 Harm and can deal 1 Harm back, Aparajita gets a String on her from Primal Dominance
Marking XP for rolling Volatile

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 31, 2015

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Harm 0/4 EXP 0/5 Conditions: Nope

Haha! Okay, wow! She's already freaked out, and that's just fine by me. I'll unhex her a bit through the class period, because I am absolutely enjoying my petty revenge but it's /morally wrong./ Whatever, no one's going to be able to figure it out, I used a tiny bit of subtlety. Anyways, Aparajita was saying something to me, so I turn to her. "Oh, well, I'm not that mad, don't worry about it." And then the elevator dings! Birdlord's here, thank god, time for /learning./ I guess I can get my social activities in later. And Leah's talking about the goop, and I'm all ready to hear him at least explain, or else dodge the question in an impressive manner. Either way, I'd learn something.

And then I'm on the floor and my head is pain. Well. My vision is going double a bit, I think I may have fractured my shoulder judging by the intense pain in it, and there's a large, attractive woman standing on top of me now. That, if I had to guess, would be Aparajita- and it's pretty much confirmed when I hear her hissing in my face 'what did you do'. And considering I'm pretty sure no one should be able to tell I did anything, this is a bit worrying! Also, I can't just say 'gave her the BRAIN PROBLEMS and the paranoia' or whatever I did, because she wouldn't accept that. So. Uh. NEW PLAN. First of all, let's slide out from under her a bit- with luck, the way she's been going, this will cause her to smack something onto the floor rather hard. Second...

"HELP! GET HER OFF OF ME! poo poo, OW, THAT HURTS, DANGIT!" Hopefully, calling out for assistance will get her the heck out of here...

MANIPULATE + STRING
<Nea> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Nea, 7+2 = 9
Expending my string on Dr Birdland, my goal here is 'GET HER OFF OF ME' and preferably to some sort of punishment.

Nea fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Of course, disruption is what I get anyway. Dammit. This is going to take up all of Birdland's attention, isn't it? I sink back into my chair, exasperated. I can't be bothered to work out what's going on - maybe I'll ask Sanya about it later if I still care. My eyes go left instead, and meet Victaria's gaze. Here's a shining example of human nature for our would-be revolutionary. I gesture at the Aparajita-Erica-Isaiah-Ivy mess and grimace. What the hell? I mouth. What indeed. What's your plan for this, Victaria?

• Locked thread