Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Give high-level tinkers the ability to literally just duct-tape two guns together so they both fire when you pull the trigger, at the cost of an accuracy penalty. Why is it high-level? Do you have any idea how hard it is to make proper duct tape in the post-apocalypse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Qud is more like a giant snapjaw and crab ghetto than post-apocalyptic but I agree

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FR: Let the player spray anything they want out of the flamethrower. I want to spray acidic lava onto those jerk Templars.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Let me keep one for the express purpose of spraying saltwater into the wounds of bleeding enemies.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Any good strats to kill king crabs? Those guys are killer.
Besides flamethrower and freezing hands?

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Fill it with wine and have a party.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

amuayse posted:

Any good strats to kill king crabs? Those guys are killer.
Besides flamethrower and freezing hands?

Grenades, firearms, and patience. Unless you're a beefy as hell melee ogre, it's often best to disengage and avoid king crabs until you can safely whittle them down at range. They're exceedingly tough and quite damaging in close combat, and if they manage to swarm you with their li'l crab buddies, you're probably dead. So play it safe, keep your distance, and don't even give them the chance.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Knollworms need to hate crabs more as well.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

What's the fastest nonexplosive way to kill high armor high HP targets? Not just king crabs but even leering stalkers and stuff.

Far as I can theorycraft, the best bet would be Enhanced Speed, Temporal Fugue activated, and dual wielding vibro weapons (or vibrokeshs if you score a clone). If you purpose-built for this, Adrenal Control too, but that kinda sucks and is dangerous with Enhanced Speed unless you pumped toughness.

Also: does str boost vibro damage?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

S.T.C.A. posted:

What's the fastest nonexplosive way to kill high armor high HP targets? Not just king crabs but even leering stalkers and stuff.

Far as I can theorycraft, the best bet would be Enhanced Speed, Temporal Fugue activated, and dual wielding vibro weapons (or vibrokeshs if you score a clone). If you purpose-built for this, Adrenal Control too, but that kinda sucks and is dangerous with Enhanced Speed unless you pumped toughness.

Also: does str boost vibro damage?

You're not going to kill a leering stalker or chrome pyramid without grenades. If they're not EMP'd you won't get close enough to do anything.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
FR: A private pool in Joppa the PC can buy

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

FR: A private pool in Joppa the PC can buy

Sure, you can buy a pool with 5000 drams of water. Just pour it out there on the ground. There's your pool.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

You're not going to kill a leering stalker or chrome pyramid without grenades. If they're not EMP'd you won't get close enough to do anything.

Right, but I mean for the damage itself. THat's what I've been doing, EMPing and cycling with explosives, but I want to try EMP > get close > m@d speed with vibro weapons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

S.T.C.A. posted:

Right, but I mean for the damage itself. THat's what I've been doing, EMPing and cycling with explosives, but I want to try EMP > get close > m@d speed with vibro weapons.

That'll work eventually but you'll have to reapply the emp a bunch because your damage per round won't be too exciting. Quickness tops out at about 200, plus whatever speed reduction you get out of time dilation.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 17, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Can someone post a good purish~ melee build? Do you take low ego / int and take for granted the tiny amount of skillpoints per level and terrible trade prices? Not having Ego boost a bunch of skills also seem like it makes everything a ton more difficult...

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

Can someone post a good purish~ melee build? Do you take low ego / int and take for granted the tiny amount of skillpoints per level and terrible trade prices? Not having Ego boost a bunch of skills also seem like it makes everything a ton more difficult...

I cant't make the build at the moment due to lack of access to Qud, but I can answer your questions.

Yes, you want to go low Ego/Int unless you are making a dodgy stabber, in which you can dump Strength to get points back to even out your Int/Ego to reasonable levels. If you absolutely want Tinkering, be an Artifex True Kin instead so you don't have to invest in Int to mess around with it. If you absolutely want one or two mental powers to back you up, cut only enough strength/agility to bring ego up to 14/15, then level it up like a normal mutation once you hit level 3/6.

You can work around low Int by deciding what type of melee you are doing (two hand, shield, dual wield) and stick to upgrading only those skills (with the exception of either basic Butchery or Harvestry, and maybe Dodging); if you pick Long Blades, you can take the XP you would normally invest in weapons and invest in something else useful.

For low Ego, you work around it by investing in nuggets as often as possible, as well as keeping any carbide or better weapons to sell off (and you can get pickier the less you need water/funds, but always take crysteel). Learn what you absolutely need from merchants, and try to scavenge for the rest. Only buy 'wants' if you are getting weighed down by your nuggets. If you are a tinkerer, the 'wants' are data disks, so pick a good place to stash your excess nuggets/loot in Joppa/Grit Gate next to the tech vendors so you can take everything out at once and trade it without moving (since you will likely be encumbered by how much you need to trade).

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks for the info!

Tho i'm not really sure what you mean by Investing in Nuggets... Do they have a fixed price or something? I tend to keep colored bracelets around if i want to hoard cash (but not drams).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

Thanks for the info!

Tho i'm not really sure what you mean by Investing in Nuggets... Do they have a fixed price or something? I tend to keep colored bracelets around if i want to hoard cash (but not drams).

Yep, nuggets are fixed price while other trade goods are based on Ego.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Holy poo poo how did i not notice :xd: Thanks again ^^

e: :stare: i just found 'helping hands' and i already have 4 arms and dual wield... this'll be great

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 17, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
INT is still useful for melee builds. 16 or 18 isn't that expensive and lets you unlock skills a lot faster. Ego is pretty worthless though. Just get used to scavenging the stuff you need instead of buying it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Reasonably high Int is also really nice for melee-oriented characters because it allows them to eventually grab Tinker I, enabling them to recharge cells and assemble basic grenades. There are a lot of places for those skill points to go, but access to recharged energy, scratch-built grenades, and the occasional bit of hand-loaded ammo is a really good payoff for a few hundred of them. Goes a long way towards shoring up any weaknesses your build might have.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I'm also the sort of person who plays through 15 runes of Crawl with no spells as a non-Trog worshipper, so that might explain why I don't value Int or Ego much unless I'm making a build centered around either :v:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Even with the cost reduction to the dual wield skills, you still need tons of skill points so I go 18 int and focus those over tinker.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

14 ego and 16 int is pretty mandatory IMO because melee without mental mirror really sucks due to confusion. The alternative is saving Sphinx salt injectors I guess, though only Mamon is guaranteed to confuse AFAIK vs other random champs with confusion.

Mental mirror means you don't need willpower either. Regen midfight isn't super useful IMO and I play melee, so willpower is always 10 for me and Mental Mirror means that I don't have to care because confusion and sunder bounces off me. I regularly clearing all current content with 10 willpower and Mental Mirror.

Personally I start with 18 ego and 18 int so that at 6 I can take Snake Oiler and never care about money again, but that's optional and cause I tinker. 14 ego works because it means that your mental mirror can be boosted to more than one charge once you're level 12, if you don't care about money and go the nugget path (and before that too I guess but if you're melee you probably have more important mutations).

That all said, I'm going to try to find some way to deviate from my usual 20/18/18/18/10/18 Arconaut build (turns it into 20/20 str/ago) but... Bedlam is out right now...

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I rarely use grenades (I only keep EMP and acid) and I just kill the waydroids at Grit Gate for power cells instead of bothering to recharge them in the early game. It's really easy too, since they don't fight back! I also deal with confusion using sphinx salt or just retreating until it wears off.

...okay, maybe I'm not the best person to take advice from, after seeing everyone else :v:. I'll still build a template when I get home if you want to play as the strongest village idiot.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I like Ego since I always have money and never run out.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Floodkiller posted:

Yep, nuggets are fixed price while other trade goods are based on Ego.

This is denoted in the trade interface by a gold '$' symbol and price (which I think of as meaning hard currency) instead of the usual blue (drams of water barter equivalent).

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Good stuff.

Earlier i had a char that i went full into dodging with, but by the time i got to goatman camps i just got shot to poo poo with desert rifles and sowers seeds. Current char was a bit more tricky to get thru the initial hurdles but it's kinda coming to its own now.

Can't wait to die by walking into a slumberling :newlol:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Here's some of my dumb builds if people want characters that will probably die and be too stupid/ugly to do anything but kill things:
code:
Dodge Tank - BBDWNKKEBKBNBPB1B2CG
Generic Axe Crab #53 - BEQOOGKEBCBIBTEF
Musclemind - BGSKQEKIBEBOBTDCCB
Jack of All Bits - AEOOQJKI
Goku - BFQOMEOIBABEB5DXEC
Okay, Goku is a bit of a joke build, but they've all managed to get to Bethesda Susa's last level (as well as Dodge Tank/Musclemind to the end of the current main quest) by just bum rushing all the early dungeons until after Golgotha, diving Grit Gate to the bottom to pick up some crysteel/a floating glowsphere, then heading straight over to Bethesda Susa. I also usually had enough XP to pick up most of the skills I wanted (except for some of the late game stuff like higher levels of dual wield). That should be good enough proof that they work, I think.

Also, Unormal, I found some glitches while I was saving these builds. The codes on the left are the ones above when I created and copied them over, and the codes on the right are what they turned into in my saved build library:
code:
BBDWNKKEBKBNBPB1B2CG -> BBCYMKKEBKBNBPB1B2CG
BGSKQEKIBEBOBTDCCB -> BGUKQEKIBEBOBTDCCB
BFQOMEOIBABEB5DXEC -> BFSOMEOIBABEB5DXEC
I'm also not sure if the codes on the right are actually valid builds that I could have made, since the numbers seem a bit weird in some cases.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 18, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

I'm also not sure if the codes on the right are actually valid builds that I could have made, since the numbers seem a bit weird in some cases.

Hrm, ok, I'll check it out. Thanks!

e: Yeah had a bug with double-applying mutation bonuses, fixed for tomorrow's build.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 18, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Brought life to some urtime protoqud Freehold-world wikis. Here's one of my favorite slivers.

Clan Danneskjold
Boasting some of the last several centuries' fiercest warriors, Clan Danneskjold has stalked the central Sunderlies for nearly six hundred years. Their patriarch was known only as the hunter Danneskjold, the most ferocious warrior to have ever lived. As the story goes, the great clans heard the tale of a voracious warrior squatting in the comb-caves in the heart of the Sunderlies. Each clan sent their strongest man to best in single combat the beast-hunter who called himself Danneskjold. The hunter fought and slew each man in turn. As the last lay dying, he turned to the hunter and asked which of the gods had taught him to fight with such ferocity. The hunter replied, "None. My master Danneskjold taught me. I am his servant, but a tenth the man he is." Clan Danneskjold's sigil is a pair of crossed ashen mauls on a blood red field.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Unormal posted:

Brought life to some urtime protoqud Freehold-world wikis. Here's one of my favorite slivers.
Clan Danneskjold
:black101:

Unormal posted:

, fixed for tomorrow's build.
I put my game on Beta in steam, is that the most recent thing or do i want to put it on Public- 8~ etc?

Floodkiller posted:

Here's some of my dumb builds if people want characters that will probably die and be too stupid/ugly to do anything but kill things:
code:
Dodge Tank - BBDWNKKEBKBNBPB1B2CG
Generic Axe Crab #53 - BEQOOGKEBCBIBTEF
Musclemind - BGSKQEKIBEBOBTDCCB
Jack of All Bits - AEOOQJKI
Goku - BFQOMEOIBABEB5DXEC
I've added some of these to my builds list and had a look at them. Gave me some ideas for characters that are similar but slightly different. :tipshat:

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 18, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I've been having extremely performance problems in Bethesda Susa when I use the flamethrower
And now it crashed

amuayse fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 18, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

amuayse posted:

I've been having extremely performance problems in Bethesda Susa when I use the flamethrower
And now it crashed

Yeah, I had bad performance in Bethesda Susa as well, but usually only when I am using the auto-travel to staircase options. It can start getting that bad in Grit Gate as well.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Feature Friday!

*Added a new weapon: hypertractor
*With Harvest, you can now harvest dreadroot tubers from dreadroot
*With Master Harvestry, you can now harvest yondercane from yonderbrush
*Added fences
*You can no longer sprint through pools of liquid
*Big pools of liquid now (correctly) cost more energy to wade through
*Gave Intimidate and Berate more descriptive descriptions
*Fixed some typos
*Fixed an issue with slowdown when a sparking baetyl is onscreen
*Fixed an issue where loading a character from the character library would sometimes double-up mutation stat bonuses

Humans Among Us posted:

I put my game on Beta in steam, is that the most recent thing or do i want to put it on Public- 8~ etc?

Beta or default (opt out of all betas) is probably best; they're usually the same. Sometimes I put stuff up early on Beta. I really want to retire everything but the public-X, beta and previous stable branch but when I tried to disable old branches people started being like OMG EVERYTHINGS 0 BYTES and hand holding every one through flipping back to default is :(

Unormal fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 19, 2015

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Can someone give me a quick hint on the order in which I should start visiting areas and doing quests? I'm getting murdered everywhere.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What in the hell is a hypertractor.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

packetmantis posted:

What in the hell is a hypertractor.

A tractor beam. Counts as a rifle, does no damage, costs as much to fire as an overloaded laser pistol and teleports whatever you hit next to you. Looks like it could be fun for people who can't stand the idea of doing damage outside of melee.

FR: make hypertractor and freeze ray heavy weapons. They outweigh most of them and sweeping with one sounds amusing.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

FR: make hypertractor and freeze ray heavy weapons. They outweigh most of them and sweeping with one sounds amusing.

Yeah, this is actually planned. We've got a rethink/rework of heavy weapons in mind, when that happens tractor, freezeray will probably become heavy weapons, and flamethrower gets the nerfstick, amongst other changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone give me a quick hint on the order in which I should start visiting areas and doing quests? I'm getting murdered everywhere.

It depends on how vulnerable your character is, but I usually go:
-Pick up quests in Joppa
-Red Rock/Rust Wells (pick whatever one you feel like, but watch out for slumberlings/rustaceans/anything that looks out of place)
-Turn in quests
-Grit Gate
-Rusted Archway
-Asphalt Mines (have spare containers for oil if you managed to get a flamethrower)
-Head to Kyakukya for a last minute check for equipment
-Golgotha
-Grit Gate Lower Levels
-Cure Glotrot if contracted
-Mamon (optional, don't do it if you don't feel like it)
-Bethesda Susa
-Whatever after that

Obviously, if you don't feel comfortable with continuing during any point in that list, just go exploring the wilderness for a while (with caution regards to jungle areas due to goatmen). I'm also much more objective based, so I like dealing with the challenge sometimes of being under-geared, where it would be a smarter option to just go have fun exploring stuff elsewhere instead. Also, sometimes I like taking the long way to Red Rock using the Waterlogged tunnel entrance in Joppa, but that's kind of suicidal for non-good character builds/Espers.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 19, 2015