Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I met a fabulous ape clothing merchant in a cave and gave him water to befriend him. After that my reputation as a friend to apes prevented annoying monkeys from hurling rocks at me. Offer Gift is a really neat and handy skill for just 50 skill points.

Also I found the Warmonger Amongst the True just hanging out with his buds a few screens north of Joppa :stare: Since I was a True Kin he was willing to sell me some of his crazy strong armour. Always trade with non-hostile uniques!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

:parrot:

It turned out to be pretty laid-back and had some neat items for sale. Good thing its Dawnglider pals were neutral :stare:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, considering that I burrowed holes in their walls to pester their tinker, loot their treasure rooms, and steal their fresh water, they definitely aren't going to care if you just teleport in. That said, I'm not sure if I've ever broken in before getting them to lower the forcefield, so maybe be careful if you decide to do that. I always do the Red Rock quest before heading out there, anyway.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Passing over corpses butchers them with your Butchery skill if they qualify. Snapjaws can't be butchered and are poo poo for nutrition anyway. Bears, goats, knollworms, and crabs are all good candidates for food. You can also buy food from merchants - I recommend vinewafers since they're piss cheap, you can usually get a shitton of them at a time, they weigh nothing, AND they hydrate you when eaten. Try heading to Joppa and talking to the farmer guy at the entrance and the warden by the elder's little manor-hut; they'll trade if asked (use tab) and have at least 100 vinewafers each.

e: Oh, I almost forgot - severed body parts are reasonably light and will be automatically eaten if you get hungry, so pick 'em up and keep 'em for snacks :unsmigghh:

Go talk to Argyve in the bottom left of Joppa. He has another quest for you after you bring him his wire. You have to talk to him again after handing the wire quest in to get it.

You could also talk to the farmer guy for a quest to go to Red Rock and do some stuff there. If you've cleared Rust Wells you should probably be strong enough to handle that. I recommend it; the Snapjaws there tend to have steel equipment, and the reward for completing the quest is quite good.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 2, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Does a force wall count as a solid obstacle?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

In older versions at least, it could also lag your computer to hell if you were on a lousy machine. I had a character use screenwide Clairvoyance in the Tomb of the Eaters on my old junkbox PC (rest in peace you whirring old piece of poo poo), and holy hell that was a mistake. It shouldn't take fifteen seconds to resolve a single turn :stare:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Make the Phase Cannon the new vibro-shotgun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

amuayse posted:

Any good strats to kill king crabs? Those guys are killer.
Besides flamethrower and freezing hands?

Grenades, firearms, and patience. Unless you're a beefy as hell melee ogre, it's often best to disengage and avoid king crabs until you can safely whittle them down at range. They're exceedingly tough and quite damaging in close combat, and if they manage to swarm you with their li'l crab buddies, you're probably dead. So play it safe, keep your distance, and don't even give them the chance.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Reasonably high Int is also really nice for melee-oriented characters because it allows them to eventually grab Tinker I, enabling them to recharge cells and assemble basic grenades. There are a lot of places for those skill points to go, but access to recharged energy, scratch-built grenades, and the occasional bit of hand-loaded ammo is a really good payoff for a few hundred of them. Goes a long way towards shoring up any weaknesses your build might have.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I could see uniques theoretically being almost as deadly in extremely rare cases (I had an instantaneous death that I think was from a unique sightless way dude somehow Clairvoyantly spotting me across the map and then chainsmiting me with Sunder Mind, but I'll never be sure), but even then it would take a ToME-esque level of bullshit hell sorcery to even approach the infinite doom that is the Chrome Pyramid.

Speaking of uniques, I met a unique Great Saltback and gave him water. He sold me some tinkering bits and his turtle buds nommed a couple of knollworms for me. :3:

Unrelated: the portable beehive does Weird poo poo to flower reputation. I put one on and now I'm permanently at -8400 base standing with them. I dunno how I managed to get all the flowers in Qud to despise me with the hysterical fury of a crack-addled elder god on a vengeance bender, but, welp

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Northwest corner of the map, just east of the salt flats. It's right at the edge of the mountains up there. Great spot to find loot, but go prepared for some fairly tough enemies and millions of crabs.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Internet Friend posted:

Has the bug with the stairs to the Asphalt Mines not spawning been fixed? Because that's a real bummer if it gets you the first time you go there. I've seen it happen.

Yeah but you can just bind the "phase down one level" debug command and use that. I mean, it's a bug. Just use the feature expressly intended to be of use in debugging bugs like that one.

e: I figured out why plants hate me so much. I have Temporal Fugue and Burgeoning, and whenever I summon my time clones, they immediately fart plants everywhere. The plants do not fully grasp the concept of time clones, and so the time clone plants fight the other time clone plants, the time clones, and me. Every time one of the plants dies in the ensuing clusterfuck, I am blamed for the brutal, unprovoked murder of an innocent flower. Therefore, I am at -66,200 reputation with flowers. :eng101:

e2: I gave some dead pygmies to a baetyl and it rewarded me with a humongous boost to my Machinimist reputation. It's pretty neat walking through Bethesda Susa with all the Rummagers and Psyberneticists happily helping me waste Cragmensch all over the place. It says I'm welcome in their holy places - I wonder if their high priest endboss will greet me with a handshake and let me address the baetyl in peace?

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 20, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Turns out the Mechanimists really did welcome me with open arms. Sadly I was unable to Proselytize any of their awesome elite dudes, but a Cyberneticist happily came with me. They didn't mind me looting all their chests, and even murdered their Sightless Way guest on the spot when he confused me and hit me with an axe. Pretty nice guys, those Mechanimists :)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Activated freak-out-and-kill-everything buffs are the best. Berserk is loving awesome for that since it lets you decide a guy needs to be in a million pieces because gently caress that guy. Using it on Jotun is funny as hell.

Please give bludgeons an activated megaskill that's basically the "knock a guy back" skill on combat drugs. Just run up to that Sawhander and Homerun Bat it like fifteen squares with a satisfying SMAAAAASH!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

While we're on the subject, is there a keyboard command for "forget about the thing you're targeting?" Because it's really annoying to perpetually autoaim at that angry plant you took a single potshot at (on the other side of the map, 500 turns ago) when you're trying to fight the evasive ranged enemy that came along and interrupted your plant-shooting.

Also, do clones actually do anything with items in inventory? Mine always seem to run out of ammo and then just close to melee, and they definitely never pull out and use any grenades or other weapons I have on me.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Why does Mehmet keep getting vaporized by the warden's laser rifle this happens 3 out of 4 games I start

I think it started as an unintentional side effect of the faction system and then stayed in because it's hilarious. Is it still possible to get/do the Red Rock quest without Mehmet?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It is nice for guaranteed access to an ubernostrum injector, though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

There should be a rare tinkerable type of vinereaper: the autoreaper, a powered, two-handed axe bound in whirling chain that chews through vine and flesh alike :black101:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Two guns, actually. In its faces. Because it's faces are guns.

Slugsnouts are really, really nasty to fight at very low levels.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I wonder what happens if you spritz a little neutron flux into the oil you're using to feed a flamethrower?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Well that's unacceptable. How am I going to douse people with magmatic oil from afar then :mad:

dis astranagant posted:

You die because anything that involves pouring flux kills you.

I wonder if time clones would throw neutron flux if you equipped a flask of it as your thrown weapon.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yes! Yes!! Magmatic Acidthrower, here I come!

dis astranagant posted:

They'd throw the flask but I'm not sure that would accomplish anything.

It'd accomplish some real interesting poo poo in conjunction with pyrokinesis, I bet :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I don't think there is anything deeper. I've gone to Swilling Vasts floor 100+ and it's just more ants and magma crabs.

e: once you get atrociously deep you should just end up in the planet's loving mantle and it's full of terrifying gigantic nightmarish lava leviathans

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I made the mistake of choosing Evil Twin for a high-Ego, low-Willpower character with Sunder Mind and Temporal Fugue once. :gibs:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I thought someone did some testing and found that brackish water sometimes contained putrescence (i.e. pure Glotrot sadness). If you really can purify brackish water with a desalination pellet or two, welp, time to start actually buying mega-expensive stuff on my hideous fart ogre melee characters.

Although physically carting all that water up to a merchant, oh god :negative:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I can just picture some fledgling tinker poking and prodding a mysterious little tablet, thinking "what the gently caress is this thing :confused:" until she accidentally drops it on the ground and sits there going :stare: as a good portion of her mud floor turns into a pool of cider or something.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Also you can usually collect a fair amount of steel weaponry there, and unless your Ego is really bad, that'll net you a quite nice windfall when traded to your friendly local Dromad. Shotguns aren't a guaranteed drop by any means, but there is a reasonable chance of encountering Snapjaw Shotgunners in the tunnel, and they always have a pump-action.

The sphere of negative weight is the best treasure in there and it's guaranteed to show up. The miner's helmet is also useful early on and a great convenience for many characters. Apart from that, you'll mostly be hoarding steel weaponry and whatever artifacts/trinkets/trade goods you happen upon. You do tend to find a handful of chests scattered along the way, so it's definitely a good payoff for any character tough enough to survive the trip.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Feature request: "multi-barrel" shotgun descriptor that increases ammo capacity and burst size by one per rank.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Unless you have Burgeoning and Temporal Fugue, in which case it's still one of the best back-slot items but flowers everywhere will soon hate you more than anyone has ever hated anything :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Feature request: Can we put in notes in the world map so we can mark where we find encounters or lairs and stuff?

Yes, please. Let me mark where I found that baetyl and what it wants.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Please make sunglasses a rare and puzzling face-slot artifact that raise Ego because they make you look cool, and grant a tiny amount of laser resistance because they are sunglasses.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

MrWillsauce posted:

Kill your evil twin and wear your own face.

You. I like you.

dis astranagant posted:

New goal: wear a Chrome Pyramid's face.

And you.

I'm gonna make it a goal to wear the face of one of the major bosses, personally. Maybe Jotun's. Or Haggabah's, because gently caress Haggabah. Also because I'll be able to constantly make jokes about "the Emperor's new face" and if I get hungry I can eat the invisible face on my face.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

:golfclap:

MartianAgitator posted:

So do you pronounce it glot-rot as in "dissolving the ability to understand language" or glo-trot as in "radioactive diarrhea"?

I always interpreted it as "rotting of the glottis."

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It's actually pretty easy to get into. You'll die a lot, but it's a roguelike, so...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

They have Pyrokinesis, prolonged exposure to which can and will destroy just about anything short of solid stone or indestructible alchemist flasks or whatever.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Step 1: get the Offer Gift skill

Step 2: go to the Six-Day Stilt

Step 3: share water with the Warden lady and the Mechanimist high priest guy

Step 4: you're now pals with the Mechanimists! Chuck some lovely gadgets down the well for luck and go on your merry way.

e: I hope this is working as intended, I think it's really cool that I can become friendly with a relatively major faction by making a dangerous pilgrimage to their holy grounds and then making symbolic offerings to the right people. It reminds me of Morrowind a little :)

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 7, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Awesome. I've already found a few random Mechanimist heroes and shared water with them, so I'm already revered and haven't even been to Grit Gate yet. The Putus Templar utterly despise me even more than usual, but there's no pleasing those dicks anyway.

Is it supposed to be possible for animals to convert to Mechanimism? I keep seeing leech, turtle, and knollworm converts milling around, and they yell religiously if I talk to them.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 7, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

True Kin could really use a special application for Ego/Willpower beyond skill qualifications and their Rebuke Robots ability, so some of their backgrounds are a bit more robust and those extra starting stat points feel a little more meaningful.

Or, hell, maybe Rebuke Robots could have an additional passive effect that gives robots and turrets a small chance to briefly bluescreen and lose their attack each time they try to hurt a True Kin, as their time-corroded Laws stir in protest. Some of the nastier enemies are mechanical; that would buy TK characters a little breathing room, particularly with regards to turrets.

amuayse posted:

This game needs more cliffracers

We have those already, they're called Dawngliders

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Feature request: a 12-point physical mutation, Steaming Hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Anything really beefy and durable is a pretty good call, since you can hide behind it in an emergency. Anything with a built-in ranged attack (like a Slugsnout or whatever) is also a good bet but watch out for friendly fire.

Electric allies are strong, but a little hazardous - their lightning can arc to you sometimes.