Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The one with the huge city? Really?! The ingredient to gate the normal Botania progression is in the last possible place one would attempt to look without having a ton of stuff already!

30.5, I suspect a lot of the problem with the pack is that the unusually progression is too much implied versus given. Yeah, a copper pick would be the normal thing to do in an Iguana Tweaks progression, but it implies that is the way to do it. I don't know much about Botania, but it looks to me like the normal thing for somebody to do is to make some dayblooms and then start branching off of there. That is effectively blocked in the pack, and it is not clear to me what it is trying to have me do. To even get started with the flowers, I have to end up doing a lot of stuff, to the point where I'm pretty much already set up in a base with just about everything, grinding to get started on it.

Some examples of how this could be adjusted is to, say, have a visit quest to a single block of prometheum that the scanners just happened to find, and maybe just making it real hard for the player not to just trip into a patch of dayblooms somewhere while they roam the island.

Well, the thing is, once you complete the current quest line you're talking about in the paranormalist chain, you get quests telling you roughly where all the flowers are seeded on the map. Failing that, you can also make thaumobotanurgist's essence or whatever it's called, which lets you make any flower.

Also, somewhere on the map is a stack of 12 dayblooms to steal, which are what I used to bootstrap myself into Botania. You can also scavenge a mana pool from another hidden area, though nearly every flower seeded area has a pure daisy near it that you can steal too for making your own.

Botania isn't really meant to be an early-tier thing in Blightfall, considering it is gated behind the translation device and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, I'm torn -- I managed to scrounge enough stuff to spawn and kill a wither, netting me a nether star. Do I spend it on an angel ring, or a beacon for summoning the Gaia Guardian? I don't really have the resources to make another 3 wither skulls (drat exanimis is hard to come by.)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Cursed Soil has Exanimis, so if you can scrounge up a silk touch shovel, do the division sigil ritual and then you can build a 1-high dark room to let the cursed soil spread to normal dirt. It's a fine exanimis farm.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mzbundifund posted:

Cursed Soil has Exanimis, so if you can scrounge up a silk touch shovel, do the division sigil ritual and then you can build a 1-high dark room to let the cursed soil spread to normal dirt. It's a fine exanimis farm.

Oh, hey, that's convenient -- I actually just did the division sigil ritual recently for a mob essence farm. That should be easy.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

Also, I'm torn -- I managed to scrounge enough stuff to spawn and kill a wither, netting me a nether star. Do I spend it on an angel ring, or a beacon for summoning the Gaia Guardian? I don't really have the resources to make another 3 wither skulls (drat exanimis is hard to come by.)

You can also get a cursed spirit sword and just murder undead for their essence, if you really wanted to automate examinis, you can make a mob drop into a puddle of liquid death. Liquid death turns mobs and animals into crystallized essence.

Edit: How did you guys get enough LP for magicans orb (tier 3)?

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 31, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Do the fight with the gaia guardian and bring a safari net, it spawns wither skeletons sometimes. Then you can autospawn them to your hearts content. Also, you can pick up the taint swarm spawners in a safari net and make the worlds easiest spawning room that'll get you basically infinite mob essence as long as you have a little power. Also infinite reputation.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

Health potions. Get a Vial or two from Botania, or just make like 6 of the regular ones. Make 5 or more self-sacrifice runes as well to put on the altar. The more runes you have, the less potions you'll need.

Once you have the magician's orb you can get a well of suffering set up with either witches or cursed earth in it, and never have to worry about LP again.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Daaang going from 5 to 11 Dawn Totems really, really speeds things up. Like it definitely feels more like I just quadrupled my blight clearing power rather than doubled it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

Well, the thing is, once you complete the current quest line you're talking about in the paranormalist chain, you get quests telling you roughly where all the flowers are seeded on the map. Failing that, you can also make thaumobotanurgist's essence or whatever it's called, which lets you make any flower.

Also, somewhere on the map is a stack of 12 dayblooms to steal, which are what I used to bootstrap myself into Botania. You can also scavenge a mana pool from another hidden area, though nearly every flower seeded area has a pure daisy near it that you can steal too for making your own.

Botania isn't really meant to be an early-tier thing in Blightfall, considering it is gated behind the translation device and whatnot.
Yeah I was trying to complete that quest line in order to get the locations, but I think it's not a good design to put some of the most basic ingredients behind a very strong barrier.

If HQM were in a text-based format, I'd just submit patches for some augmentations I think would help, but outside of that, I can just give some suggestions in the thread.

An early-game quest could be basically "Hey, our scanners pick up a very faint copper signature at X, Y, Z" and it could just be some spot near alpha dome in the caves underneath. The other domes don't need a location because it assumes more advanced players are using those domes instead. It can lead to a single copper ore, or perhaps a weak copper ore that doesn't even yield enough to make a pick, but have some prometheum stuffed around it. So the next part can be mostly "Wait, what's this stuff? We should start looking out for these crazy fantasy metals!" This could remove the "false" HQM quests to advance in pick technology levels.

I never found the dayblooms, or I did not know at the time to nab them, so I lost that chance. The location for some of them could have been put in the paranormalist quest plot line. It looks like Dr. Sprouse has a thing for the strange effects happening around Homeworld enchanting tables, so he would probably point out where he senses a lot of those "spooky effects" happening at some point. I managed to translate the Botania book after visiting two towns, and I would think at that point, it would be a good time to start trying to make some mana.

I think a neat alternative for opening up the flower quests--that I unfortunately don't think HQM can manage--would be after submitting thaumium and those enchanted stones, plus something else, to the geologist. The quest text talks about him having some discussions with the paranormalist over them, so you'd think after doing a few of those, the geologist would catch on, and maybe they'd both start hammering on getting to the scanner room. It may suffice to just move those quests to the "complete any 3" gating quests.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

Lifesteal. Easiest way is to lure some taint swarms to nearby your altar where there is a wall with 1x1 holes. They can't get through so you can just get a bunch of health from them.

Also you can abuse a bug by capturing a custom mob in a safari net and autospawning as a non-exact copy you'll get a mob who is invincible and never moves, yet you can lifesteal off of. The autospawner and MFR in general give you quite a few exploity shortcuts

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
After realizing that the island lab is basically a sad botania explosion flower story and not much else I wondered about a potential mini dungeon inside the thing. Covered in warded blocks to prevent entrance except a key found somewhere to open the door. Lots of thaumcraft goodies inside including an exploded infusion altar. Included is a new thaumcraft infusion recipe to make a tainted node, with said node in the middle of the infusion altar.

The place where research was done on the bioweapon and things went horribly wrong

hardcore mode: research lab is gutted by a created hungry node

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What helps best with passive regeneration of research aspects?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

After realizing that the island lab is basically a sad botania explosion flower story and not much else I wondered about a potential mini dungeon inside the thing. Covered in warded blocks to prevent entrance except a key found somewhere to open the door. Lots of thaumcraft goodies inside including an exploded infusion altar. Included is a new thaumcraft infusion recipe to make a tainted node, with said node in the middle of the infusion altar.

The place where research was done on the bioweapon and things went horribly wrong

hardcore mode: research lab is gutted by a created hungry node

I'd love to see a hungry node research lab somewhere, with the node shielded from the taint so it doesn't just wimp out before you even reach it. It doesn't even have to be a gutted workshop, I mean the first thing a sane mage would do when experimenting with hungry nodes is make an obsidian cage for it. Of course, if the mage isn't smart they might leave gaps in the cage for "observation", which the node could eat blocks through.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Turtlicious posted:

What helps best with passive regeneration of research aspects?

Crystal clusters, made from six shards of the same type or one of each type of shard. I also think having bookshelves nearby helps a bit, but I may be mixing that up with the vanilla enchanting table.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you haven't, make some Golden Bags of Holding. All the different mods and toolkits in Blightfall eat up a ton of inventory space, and a bag of holding really helps. A Satchel just wasn't enough for me, personally.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Okay, where are the drat white flowers? I've been all over this city and I can't find them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
White Flowers are at the top of the tallest tower, above where the Tainted King spawns

Also once you get Purple, Lime, and Green petals, you can make a Jaded Amaranthus and feed it mana from the Dayblooms you can scrounge up from somewhere. Or if you also get Red, Light Gray, and Brown you can make Endoflames to power it. Once you get some power source and the petals to make an Amaranthus, getting all the flowers is trivial.

E: vvv that might be it, though in the end there's a billion options for power generation and it takes like 5-6 colors of petals out of all 16 to make and power an Amaranthus.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 31, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I think there's supposed to be hydrogenaes or something in the dirt spots around the underwater base?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you get the petals you need to make an Amaranthus, making a Nightshade is really easy - you just need Black and Gray petals, Black petals are an easy to get to and entirely noncombat trip, and gray petals are right on top of a scout location you'll want anyway. To be fair, some of the Amaranthus petals are tough to get!

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 31, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

I think there's supposed to be hydrogenaes or something in the dirt spots around the underwater base?

They weren't there when I went there. I think it's just infrastructure you can either scavenge or refurbish. Putting hydroangeas there, at least in the spots where they actually work, shows off what that setup can do. Personally I just tore up everything and claimed it for my own.

Magres posted:

If you get the petals you need to make an Amaranthus, making a Nightshade is really easy - you just need Black and Gray petals, Black petals are an easy to get to and entirely noncombat trip, and gray petals are right on top of a scout location you'll want anyway. To be fair, some of the Amaranthus petals are tough to get!

Oh, hey, since Nightshades don't require mana petals, and the colors required are much easier to get than those for daybloom, you can start mana generation with those if you don't find the dayblooms hiding in the world. Unconventional solutions, eh?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 31, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Something worth noting, cause people have been talking about ocean floors being impossible to clean - Dawn Totems can be placed underwater, and a Ring of Chordata solves all your underwater travel problems. With a dozen Dawn Totems, leap-frogging your way across the ocean floor with a chunkloaders and a bunch of totems might make it one of the easier (if enormous) areas to clean.

Also you can screenshot the taint scanner on The Jaded when all the taint is lit up bright pink and use it as a roadmap for where you need to clean. It really helps with 100%ing areas too.

E: Yeah you can just slap Dawn Totems on the ocean floor and they go to work, I just tested it. Cleaning the ocean out should be pretty easy because of it. I might actually do the Floating Islands by just leapfrogging totems across the bedrock far below them. Way easier than trying to clean them directly. And one Chunkloader can support... uh... something like 36 separate Dawn Totems if you max it out on radius on a square chunkload and somehow find the couple hundred ordo shards it takes to make that many Dawn Totems.

(anyone know any good ways to find Ordo Shards by the stack?)

For reference and scale, the area of a 10 radius square chunkload. It's enormous. Apologies for the messiness of my waypoints, it's how I track nodes I need to throw my Dawn Machine at and where all my Totems are (also pictured: totems doing work on ocean tainted areas)

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 31, 2015

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Now that I've nearly set everything up perfectly in Beta Base, I am overwhelmed with the temptation to start coring out the Mountain and building my gigantic cave lair in there.

Pros:
* Near a huge node with Fire and Earth vis, augmenting the Water and Order vis that's easy to find in ocean nodes
* On top of a ton of post-diamond materials
* Would eventually allow for the perfect place for an airship tether, and I'm led to believe airships are a thing?
* Have just gotten into a position where I have the resources to begin building farm and ranch automation, so I could build better for that, setting up a reactor to power the whole planter/harvester/sewer/breeder/slaughterhouse thing
* Have just gotten into alchemy, so I could better design for the space that it needs
* Gigantic spires overlooking the landscape feel so right

Cons:
* Would need to spend a shitload of rep to get animals up there
* Not much above-ground space for tree growth or flowers
* Would probably mean putting forty hours into digging the place out and moving everything over and not actually doing anything new and progressive while the world dissolves into purple goo around me

Thoughts?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

trees grow underground just fine, as long as they have the necessary room and you use torches/glowstone/jack-o-lanterns/whatever to keep the light level up

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The world only dissolves into purple goo while it's chunkloaded, so really only the trees near where you're working will dissolve.
Space for planting won't be a problem as long as you're willing to cut out a dirt-topped terrace, or alternately, as GoA said, a cavern large enough for tree growth. Trees don't need sunlight, just light.

Boredom would probably be an issue, and you might not want to start a large-scale excavation project until you get better tools. Have you got an excavation focus with the Enlarge upgrade on it?

As for animals, do you already have some down at beta base? you wouldn't need to spend any rep if you have a little slime and leather you can make some one-shot safari nets to carry your critters in.

Airships are indeed a thing, and are really cool. Research Infusion if you haven't yet, and get the Ship Helm infusion.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Why don't potions show up in NEI? Is there something changed about them for this pack? I know it's not complicated and I can use the minecraft wiki, but normally I would look up the ingredients in NEI instead. I got a brewing stand from that underwater infusion altar.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Gotta agree with Rocko about Botania... I mean i found a bunch of the flowers at random by exploring but it's been a while now and i still haven't unlocked any of the Botania related quests. I have the book and made a bunch of runes and am producing mana diamonds and manasteel, got a tectonic girdle and such. Basicly just ignoring the quest book botani stuff cus i can't get to it and i don't care for the Gate-quests that all require silly bullshit to complete :P

I mean sure there's some fun stuff in that gate, still it's annoying to find a bunch of flowers and wanting to get started and not being able to because you don't know how it works.
Looking at internet guides and just got started regardless... Seems like that kinda defeats the purpose of the quests.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well the Botania quest is not fleshed out in the slightest. It's there to tell you where to get the flowers, the fact that Thaumcraft can provide you with super floral fertilizer and checks to see if you can make an ethereal bloom. That's it. I'm assuming that the Botania book is enough of a tutorial on its own that doing it all up in HQM would be redundant.

VegasShirtGuy, they're disabled in NEI. So far as I can tell they aren't changed from their usual recipes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, the Botania stuff isn't supposed to be available at the very start of the map. You need to do a significant chunk of exploration and find out stuff about the world before you can really do anything substantive with it. Like the whole food variety thing, it's supposed to be a reward for and an impetus for exploring the map. It is a recurring theme in Blightfall -- staying holed up in your dome is dissuaded heavily.

It also reinforces the fact that Thaumcraft is supposed to be your go-to solution for most stuff. I think the reason most people are so hung up on Botania in Blightfall is the fact that the Mana Fluxfield exists and is the best choice for power.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Well the Botania quest is not fleshed out in the slightest. It's there to tell you where to get the flowers, the fact that Thaumcraft can provide you with super floral fertilizer and checks to see if you can make an ethereal bloom. That's it. I'm assuming that the Botania book is enough of a tutorial on its own that doing it all up in HQM would be redundant.

VegasShirtGuy, they're disabled in NEI. So far as I can tell they aren't changed from their usual recipes.

Cool, but the HQM doesn't tell you how to get the book, or that translating seemingly random tomes is going to net you the Botania Manual. Apart from that, you don't need to get the manual if you know how it works, saving you a bunch of time doing things that might not even be related as far as i'm concerned. I would never have found out how to get translation device or that i even needed to do that if it wasn't for goons telling me about it :D

What i'm trying to get at is that to me it felt like i needed to 'stumble' into it by accident OR just know in advance what i was supposed to do. The other things tend to be actually locked / proper gated, but with Botania it's just a matter of knowledge.

:shrug:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I had the opposite experience. I was excited when I got the translation quest because I had already found the first few language scraps. The Botania book was the first one I translated because it was the most interesting looking.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ok, so I'm still a bit confused by Centivis. Say I've got a node that's 51 Aer and 55 Superbia; how do I work out what essences I'd get from that, assuming it doesn't go Pale on me?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Ok, so I'm still a bit confused by Centivis. Say I've got a node that's 51 Aer and 55 Superbia; how do I work out what essences I'd get from that, assuming it doesn't go Pale on me?

You'll get 7 Aer and 7 of everything that's part of Superbia. Compound aspects break down into all their component parts. Number-wise, your current is equal to the square root of the value, rounded down, with a 20% bonus/penalty for bright/pale. Not sure how rounding with the 20% works

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Superbia's got Volatus and Vacuos, though, each of which contain Aer; Volatus itself contains another Aer! Does all that stack?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Any compound vis gets broken down to their primal essence, so if they provide all six of them, then that compound vis' number is the amount you would get square rooted. As well, the highest total for a primal is counted.

For your example, you would have 55 Aer (Superbia breaks into Volatus and Vacuos), Ordo (from breaking Volatus into Motus), Perditio (Vacuos)...and that's it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Superbia's got Volatus and Vacuos, though, each of which contain Aer; Volatus itself contains another Aer! Does all that stack?

Afraid not, only the biggest aer you have counts.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Mzbundifund posted:

The world only dissolves into purple goo while it's chunkloaded, so really only the trees near where you're working will dissolve.
Space for planting won't be a problem as long as you're willing to cut out a dirt-topped terrace, or alternately, as GoA said, a cavern large enough for tree growth. Trees don't need sunlight, just light.

Boredom would probably be an issue, and you might not want to start a large-scale excavation project until you get better tools. Have you got an excavation focus with the Enlarge upgrade on it?

As for animals, do you already have some down at beta base? you wouldn't need to spend any rep if you have a little slime and leather you can make some one-shot safari nets to carry your critters in.

Airships are indeed a thing, and are really cool. Research Infusion if you haven't yet, and get the Ship Helm infusion.

I didn't even think about growing trees underground - that makes the mountain even more likely, as I'd have 180-some levels to play with, so a couple of 12-block high rooms just for trees would work fine. I have animals at the beta base (which is why I'm not worried about bringing chickens up; I'm drowning in eggs), but I've never seen a slimeball.

I don't have an excavator, but Tinker's Construct is new to me so I haven't thought through all of the ways I can make it awesome. I'm sitting on like 60 iron blocks and 600 redstone, so I've got plenty of resources to build a Tool Bench and an Excavator with some serious speed upgrades attached. How do I get an Enlarge upgrade?

Thanks for the advice!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The Enlarge upgrade is for your Excavation Focus in Thaumcraft. There's a Foci Manipulator you can build that allows you to enchant different foci for centivis and experience.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Eschers Basement posted:

I didn't even think about growing trees underground - that makes the mountain even more likely, as I'd have 180-some levels to play with, so a couple of 12-block high rooms just for trees would work fine. I have animals at the beta base (which is why I'm not worried about bringing chickens up; I'm drowning in eggs), but I've never seen a slimeball.

I don't have an excavator, but Tinker's Construct is new to me so I haven't thought through all of the ways I can make it awesome. I'm sitting on like 60 iron blocks and 600 redstone, so I've got plenty of resources to build a Tool Bench and an Excavator with some serious speed upgrades attached. How do I get an Enlarge upgrade?

Thanks for the advice!
I haven't seen one yet, but apparently you can get slime saplings from the sapling bags.

For the TCon tools, you're probably actually looking for a hammer. That's the wide area pick. Excavator is a wide area shovel, which is still really useful for getting stacks of sand and such.

To make the tools out of iron, you'll need a smeltery and some gold or copper+aluminum for casts.

Honestly I think the vanilla/tech metal route is probably the toughest way to progress your mining ability. I've found the nether woods from the sapling bags to be the easiest.

Enlarge is an enchant for the excavation focus.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sure thing!

The excavator focus I was talking about is a focus for your wand. If you research the fire wand focus on the thaumaturgy tab of your thaumonomicon, it opens up a bunch of cool attachments you can swap on and off your wand at will. The Excavation Focus fires a green laser that works like a super-pickaxe with infinite mining level that runs off Terra vis from your wand instead of tool durability. It's incredible, but getting the vis for it would probably be an impossible pain unless you have an energized node already feeding you infinite CV. You can upgrade wand foci by making an upgrade table, also on the Thaumaturgy tab. It's a branch off the node energizer research.

If you haven't yet, you absolutely owe it to yourself to energize a node and get yourself infinite wand vis. It opens up so much power and so many options you wouldn't believe it. What sort of wand(s) do you have?

If you don't have slime for one-use safari nets, you can request a ghast tear and four ender pearls to make a reusable safari net. You'd need to make multiple trips since it can only carry one animal at a time, but it doesn't get used up so you only ever need the one.

There's a thaumcraft alchemy reaction that uses aqua and victus to clone slimeballs, so once you get your first slimeball you can get infinite of them. The easiest but possibly most frustrating way to get your first slimeball would be to request mob bags until you get lucky and pull a slime one. I also happen to know there's a slimeball in one of the crates on the north airship dock of the flying city on the east edge of the map. You'll need a form of flying or a truly titanic nerdpole to get up to it, and it's full of tough enemies and a boss, but if you just explore the dock it's not too bad. There's a warp point on the north edge of the dock as well, so once you get there once you can warp back as much as you want.

There's also a complete airship you can steal

e: fast moving thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Glory of Arioch posted:

I think the reason most people are so hung up on Botania in Blightfall is the fact that the Mana Fluxfield exists and is the best choice for power.

i'm hung up on botania because it's not a janky piece of poo poo, unlike a fair amount of thaumcraft

• Locked thread