Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Light Gun Man posted:

I went to that portal area mentioned above and am stuck on a black empty screen, what can I do about that? Playing online, not the server owner.

edit: server owner OP'd me, we tried teleporting me out (can't, it's cross dimensions) and /kill-ing self, respawned in the black void again.

I want to say this is a bug on multiplayer servers from how the nether on it is disabled, but I'm not positive. The people who manage the mod posted about it in the other thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Well he got me out by editing my dimension in my server save or whatever, but I went back and it did it again :v:

Am I suppose to stand on the portal or right click it or what? I've been right clicking it.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Did they increase the drop rate of blood trees from tree bags? I'm not complaining, I love having infinite diamond-tier tools, but I've gotten 4 of those bad boys from >20 bags.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beekeeping and You posted:

Did they increase the drop rate of blood trees from tree bags? I'm not complaining, I love having infinite diamond-tier tools, but I've gotten 4 of those bad boys from >20 bags.

Don't think so, I've never gotten a blood tree OR a slime tree, and I've gotten about 60 bags.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well I figured out I had repeatedly walked by the green mystical flowers. Whoops! I missed the gray flowers, but then I should be in business.

I never did get a poisonous potato.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Well he got me out by editing my dimension in my server save or whatever, but I went back and it did it again :v:

Am I suppose to stand on the portal or right click it or what? I've been right clicking it.

It's a bug with multilayer servers. You can't enter any dimensions s without it making GBS threads itself. To fix it you have to re - enable the nether in the server files but this will also open the nether back up.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Other bug (I think) to report - I don't think Dawn Machines can clean nodes that are inside blocks. I had a sinister node in an obsidian totem get tainted, and sat a Dawn Machine it for a solid couple hours without it getting cleaned, where every other node I've sat a Dawn Machine on has been cleaned within half an hour, tops, and most of them within 15-20 minutes. I could be just getting really unlucky, but when a node goes ~4x as long as any other node I've seen and still won't get cleaned, I get suspicious :shrug:

For replicability, hopefully, it was the sinister node at 721, 1647. I wound up just smashing the thing to free up my second Dawn Machine, but next one I see, I'll cheat in a third dawn machine to set on it indefinitely to see if it cleans it.

E: also, it wasn't pbkac - I had 16 Auram in it.

E2: vvvv What's C2K? Just curious

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 1, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

You have to set allow-nether=true in server.properties. We were using that method to shut off the nether but it's a minecraft thing and apparently it makes all non-overworld dimensions poo poo themselves so thanks forge, thanks a ton.

Magres posted:

Other bug (I think) to report - I don't think Dawn Machines can clean nodes that are inside blocks. I had a sinister node in an obsidian totem get tainted, and sat a Dawn Machine it for a solid couple hours without it getting cleaned, where every other node I've sat a Dawn Machine on has been cleaned within half an hour, tops, and most of them within 15-20 minutes. I could be just getting really unlucky, but when a node goes ~4x as long as any other node I've seen and still won't get cleaned, I get suspicious :shrug:

For replicability, hopefully, it was the sinister node at 721, 1647. I wound up just smashing the thing to free up my second Dawn Machine, but next one I see, I'll cheat in a third dawn machine to set on it indefinitely to see if it cleans it.

E: also, it wasn't pbkac - I had 16 Auram in it.

This sounds like a real thing, I'll investigate it since I'm doing a round of C2K bug fixes.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Would it be simply easier to alter the nether gen to be just void?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Making a portal would genereate a platform floating above the void, which provides enough of a starting point to build a base completely uninvolved with the blight.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

a starting point to build a base completely uninvolved with the blight.

This already exists in another dimension and is intended.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm still really early game (i'm tunneling with a promethium pick looking for goodies mostly unsucessfully) and am dying constantly from getting stuck on blight for a few seconds longer than I intended, and my reputation is suffering. Is there anything that reduces blight damage? Because I can't do any of the scouting missions with the toxic grass everywhere, or dig in the big caverns with toxic rocks. Should I just keep dutifully stripmining directly below my biodome despite it seeming pretty much completely barren of ore? My strategy so far has been to tunnel randomly till I find a big cavern and I've gotten a bunch of elemental crystals which look like they're for thaumcraft, and some promethium, and a lot of high level ore I can't mine with a promethium pickaxe, but not much else.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm still really early game (i'm tunneling with a promethium pick looking for goodies mostly unsucessfully) and am dying constantly from getting stuck on blight for a few seconds longer than I intended, and my reputation is suffering. Is there anything that reduces blight damage? Because I can't do any of the scouting missions with the toxic grass everywhere, or dig in the big caverns with toxic rocks. Should I just keep dutifully stripmining directly below my biodome despite it seeming pretty much completely barren of ore? My strategy so far has been to tunnel randomly till I find a big cavern and I've gotten a bunch of elemental crystals which look like they're for thaumcraft, and some promethium, and a lot of high level ore I can't mine with a promethium pickaxe, but not much else.
Do the scouting missions. If you're in Alpha, tunnel to the river and pop out there. The taint won't cross water, so you'll have a completely taint-free exit. Bring along a stack of boats and just start boating as close as you can get to the mission points and it's usually not too bad of an overland trek to the tree. Once you're there scoop up all the ethereal blooms, and you can use those to expand your base or spot clean whatever you need. Plus you'll get a crapton of rep.

Just watch out for ?'s on your map (these are usually tainticles) and tainted NPCs. They're all really mean.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

You'll have to visit the other scouting locations to get different ores. Like oureclase is under the swamp. I basically just strip mined at the appropriate Y levels staying within the node/bloom protection area (use the biome overlay option on the map to see the exact bounds). If you read that green book labeled one it'll tell you where each ore is found in the world. To get through the tainted areas bring extra food and sprint & jump constantly. Use the water as much as possible (take the long way around using a boat to have a shorter sprint over land). Use the map 'M' to plan your route. Create a waypoint for where you want to go with 'B' (the scouting missions give you the coordinates). Once you make it to an area you'll be able to warp back there, just right-click the transporter to activate it.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a basic botania tutorial anywhere? I hear people talking about how cool it is, but I'm not really sure how to get started.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Beekeeping and You posted:

Is there a basic botania tutorial anywhere? I hear people talking about how cool it is, but I'm not really sure how to get started.

The Lexica Botania has instructions on how to use the mod. In Blightfall, you need to translate the alien grimoire with a yellow book icon in order to unlock it. When you do get one, pay close attention to the entries with italics first, as they are the most important ones to get started.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Finally got over to the swamp, though I ended up dying a few times after to cancel out any good will I might have gotten :ssh:, though these blooms are handy. To start messing with the thaumawhatsits I need paper, is the only way to make it at this point really just sugar cane? Haven't seen any yet.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Wolpertinger posted:

Finally got over to the swamp, though I ended up dying a few times after to cancel out any good will I might have gotten :ssh:, though these blooms are handy. To start messing with the thaumawhatsits I need paper, is the only way to make it at this point really just sugar cane? Haven't seen any yet.
There should be some if you run along the coast in the swamp. Alternately, I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like you can use a presser from Pam's to press logs into paper.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wolpertinger posted:

something that helps when you're crossing blighted terrain is to run and constantly jump

while you're airborne you can't be infected by taint poison

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Those wobbly 2m tall tentacles that stick up out of the taint are very dangerous - they spawn mini tentacles underneath you very quickly as long as you are standing on taint - don't move too close to the big tentacles and you will take far less damage crossing tainted terrain.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Also make sure to carry a longsword and use the lunge to get up on top of trees. Taint doesn't grow on leaves, except sometimes in the taiga on those snow covered spruce (which are pretty dangerous to cross anyway since they're really tall and mostly vertical).

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is there a way to get rid of Tinker's Construct tools? The recipe for the Trash Can appears to be disabled for some reason.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah I'm confused about that as well. I eventually found and stole a trash can out of the flying city, but it seems really odd for a trash can to be such a precious thing to loot.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You can use a Nullifier to destroy tcon tools.

Wolpertinger posted:

If your health gets low, you can punch/slice fibrous taint and then put a couple of blocks there to stand on and regenerate. In a cave this doesn't work so well since there's fibrous taint on the walls and ceiling you have to get away from too. In that case, you should dig into a wall for a few blocks. The tunnel will stay clean long enough for you to heal.

Longswords ARE really the best for exploration though. Eventually you'll want to replace it with an enchanted sword of the zephyr, but a longsword made out of even the shittiest materials will last you a good while.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also you'll want to sprint for the swamp to get that waypoint and get Oureclase, which will let you mine gold and iron and really opens up the game.

Seatox
Mar 13, 2012
Fibrous taint can't grow on halfslabs or stairs. Carry a stack of them and lay them down if you need a spot to stop and regain health. I built a halfslab path between the marble shine and dome alpha, and from alpha down to the river. You can get taint poisoning if you touch the growth on either side of a one block wide path, though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hey Magres, wheres your post about breaking down different compound aspects to get all the stuff you commonly need to either build totems of a dawn and the other to feed a dawn machine? I'm sure you had a big post about it in the other thread... :raise:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

Also make sure to carry a longsword and use the lunge to get up on top of trees. Taint doesn't grow on leaves, except sometimes in the taiga on those snow covered spruce (which are pretty dangerous to cross anyway since they're really tall and mostly vertical).

How can you use the lunge to get on top of trees? it seems to barely launch me any distance at all upward, even if i try to use it mid jump.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Hey Magres, wheres your post about breaking down different compound aspects to get all the stuff you commonly need to either build totems of a dawn and the other to feed a dawn machine? I'm sure you had a big post about it in the other thread... :raise:

I don't think I ever made one particular big post, but I speculated in a couple different about processes. I can post a list here though! The most work intensive parts are setting up a stable supply of Mana and setting up an automated alchemical furnace. I'm planning to do things the hard way and transduce another node to power an advanced alchemical furnace and automate that. A couple Magic Mirror sets will let you feed everything in from long distance, and some golems and an AE2 network with Thaumic Energistics will automate output. I'm still working on digging up the motivation to reorganize my base (ugh) and build a system to automate breaking things down into essentia (uugghh) and building an AE2 network (uuuuuuuuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhh). I don't know why but I have a strong aversion to learning how to actually work AE2. I gave it a whack in Agrarian Skies 2 and just went "oh, that's kinda nifty. Really not worth what a bitch this mod is to work with though :shrug:"

Dawn Totem Essentia:

Auram - Wispy Essence (Euclidaisy or steal a spawner and make a grinder)
Lux - Torches
Ordo - Centrifuge Potentia, Vitreus, or Sano
Sano - Milk
Tutamen - Leather (throw rotten flesh in a mana pool with an alchemy catalyst)
Victus - Barley, Centrifuge Sano

Dawn Machine Essentia:

Aer - Sugar Cane
Arbor - Logs
Auram - Euclidaisy or Wisp Spawner
Cognitio - Paper (either harvestcraft press logs or use sugar cane)
Herba - Sugar Cane
Ignis - Charcoal, Centrifuge Potentia
Machina - Stone Buttons (Igneous Extruder the smoothstone)
Ordo - Centrifuge Potentia, Vitreus, or Sano
Sano - Milk
Vacuous - Wooden Bowls

For a renewable source of Vitreus, Igneous Extruder Cobblestone, Pulverize it into Sand, and smelt it into Glass. For Potentia, use Charcoal.

For actually making the Machines, the easy way to skip Blazing Pyrotheum is to use a Magma Crucible outputting into a tank, then cart the stuff over to your old, now nearly abandoned smeltery, and input the liquid redstone/glowstone into the smeltery and add the appropriate stuff to make the lumium and signalum, then pour it out. Not dealing with blazing pyrotheum makes it a lot easier.

Honestly the hardest part of the whole process for me has been getting enough Tutamen to make the Totems. I'm working on making a set of 8 of them right now (gonna turn 2 of them into Dawn Machines #3 and #4 because I have a sizable backlog of nodes that need cleaning) and rustling up 256 points of Tutamen is definitely the hardest part here. That and Ordo Shards are usually my chokepoints in production.

Wolpertinger posted:

How can you use the lunge to get on top of trees? it seems to barely launch me any distance at all upward, even if i try to use it mid jump.

Are you holding down right click? The lunge charges up over a second or two and goes from a tiny hop to a sizable leap.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 2, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Earlier I finally realized that when I get the message 'Tainted slime or tendril dissolved and infected me with taint' and start taking damage, it's the mob drop IN MY INVENTORY decaying.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you throw them in a Satchel, they won't dissolve in there. It's really helpful.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

You have to set allow-nether=true in server.properties. We were using that method to shut off the nether but it's a minecraft thing and apparently it makes all non-overworld dimensions poo poo themselves so thanks forge, thanks a ton.
You can use /cofh tpx to get them out as well.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Use a botania alchemy catalyst under a mana pool to convert rotten flesh into leather for easy tutamen.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy poo poo, thank you! Makes life so much easier.

Now I just gotta go clean off the Blood Magic tower and make a mob grinder in there and INFINITY TUTAMEN :science:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
As a Sunless Sea player, whenever I see Dawn Machine, I think of something... slightly different.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

:stare:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fun fact about the sunless sea's dawn machine 1: It's an artificial sun in a giant underground cave.
Fun fact 2: Stars in the sunless sea setting are literal gods capable of enforcing their will on anything their light shines on.
Fun fact 3: The Dawn Machine is insane.
Fun fact 4: E SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN TH

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I kinda want to rename the thread (Minecraft) Blightfall: THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Whats the best way to charge staves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Reason posted:

Whats the best way to charge staves?
If you make a vis pendant it'll charge via centi-vis and then charge your staff while you hold it. It's not fast but it beats node-hunting.

• Locked thread