Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010
It's almost like different situations make sense for different buying options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

vyst posted:

All my cars have and will continue to be Ford's

Buying the least-poo poo American doesn't count as a point of pride (unless you include tesla)

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

David Copperfield posted:

Buying the least-poo poo American doesn't count as a point of pride (unless you include tesla)

least poo poo doesn't even include ford at the bottom of the list

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I just bought a honda someone leased new for a year, clean records, and still had the original manufacturer warranties. It's nice as hell

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I just bought a honda someone leased new for a year, clean records, and still had the original manufacturer warranties. It's nice as hell

that is the way to do it

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

Dude in my bldg just bought a new Macan S and I rode in it yesterday. It was pretty nice, possibly more fun than the Cayenne which is kidn of fat. Ill ask him if i can try it out next time and let you know

Noice. I like the Macan but the bitch loves her some Cayenne.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I bought my corolla new because i don't know how to fix poo poo. It's been paid off for a few years and never needed any repairs. It has had 3 recalls so Toyota isn't as reliable as they used to be. Gonna keep it until it dies though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ChairmanMeow posted:

I bought my corolla new because i don't know how to fix poo poo. It's been paid off for a few years and never needed any repairs. It has had 3 recalls so Toyota isn't as reliable as they used to be. Gonna keep it until it dies though.

Toyota hates Americans

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Toyota hates Americans

everyone hates Americans

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
dunno my wife just bought an a6 last year when her rx8 was losing compression again and my wrangler is still going strong do I'm not planning on a car any time soon, but will pay cash for it if I need one just like we always do

if you have to finance a car u probably should not buy new that's my advice

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
99% of cars nowadays get recalled to poo poo, buy a Segway and feel the wind in your beard instead

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I bought a new car.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

99% of cars nowadays get recalled to poo poo, buy a Segway and feel the wind in your beard instead

the reasons were car accelerates on it's own and won't stop, and airbag is full of bits of metal, the other was just the check engine light stays on
the segway seems attractive, and the bugs in my beard can be a good source of protein :)

can I lease a segway?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

jackyl posted:

dunno my wife just bought an a6 last year when her rx8 was losing compression again and my wrangler is still going strong do I'm not planning on a car any time soon, but will pay cash for it if I need one just like we always do

if you have to finance a car u probably should not buy new that's my advice

but if you're rich enough to not have to finance you can actually get crazy good offers on financing (ie pay on a loan less than the bank interest you couldn't compound if you didn't get the loan). Welcome to capitalism, bitch

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

but if you're rich enough to not have to finance you can actually get crazy good offers on financing (ie pay on a loan less than the bank interest you couldn't compound if you didn't get the loan). Welcome to capitalism, bitch

nah we just like not owing money on anything

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If your car detects you accelerating and continuing to drive with your turn signal on it should set off a small explosive charge underneath the driver's seat, killing you instantly.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
I don't know but I leased my car and got some pretty solid rebates and a good deal on it. Close to like 5000 off sticker. Took like two weeks of pitting dealerships against each other through email though. In the end I make low payments for the first 3 years and if I decide I want to keep it it'll only have costed me like 50 dollars more than a straight up purchase, (if I assume 0% financing and similar rebates which isn't what they were even close to offering at the time) so I count that as a win. Also I made no down payment and got my first 2 months of payment covered. Haggle that poo poo like its the end of your life idiots.

Also every loving website ever to talk about leases always shits on leasing but never accounts on the fact that a comparison between 2 36 month leases and a 60 month purchase is pretty much bullshit since you're driving two DIFFERENT NEW cars as compared to one. They also never even consider the buy out option at the end.

Lesson to all: Do the loving math yourself. You can get a good deal if you know what you are doing. You can also get hosed over if you don't know what you're doing.(But lol if you lease higher end cars unless youre rich)

P.S. my company pays for my lease now anyways and I get to pocket the difference.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

yeah actually leasing is for fuckin posers, buying a new car is for scrubs. if all the used cars you've seen are pieces of poo poo, maybe you should check out this automaker called "toyota", they have these cars they call the "camry" and "corolla" and you can buy one from anytime in the last 25 years and it will just go. forever. as long as you change the oil

but see then you actually gotta be a cool and interesting person because people won't gravitate towards you based on your super cool looking bmw or whatever.

Me and my 13 year old Corolla approve this message.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
18-year-old privates

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snatch Duster posted:

Noice. I like the Macan but the bitch loves her some Cayenne.

oh also it has color matched wheels which is either cool or dumb and gaudy as hell, i can't decide which

like the entire wheel is the same bright blue color as the car. it's weird

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Crazy Pigeon posted:

I don't know but I leased my car and got some pretty solid rebates and a good deal on it. Close to like 5000 off sticker. Took like two weeks of pitting dealerships against each other through email though. In the end I make low payments for the first 3 years and if I decide I want to keep it it'll only have costed me like 50 dollars more than a straight up purchase, (if I assume 0% financing and similar rebates which isn't what they were even close to offering at the time) so I count that as a win. Also I made no down payment and got my first 2 months of payment covered. Haggle that poo poo like its the end of your life idiots.

Also every loving website ever to talk about leases always shits on leasing but never accounts on the fact that a comparison between 2 36 month leases and a 60 month purchase is pretty much bullshit since you're driving two DIFFERENT NEW cars as compared to one. They also never even consider the buy out option at the end.

Lesson to all: Do the loving math yourself. You can get a good deal if you know what you are doing. You can also get hosed over if you don't know what you're doing.(But lol if you lease higher end cars unless youre rich)

P.S. my company pays for my lease now anyways and I get to pocket the difference.

Wow

e: if you aren't paying for a lease that's one thing. But skipping that part: wow

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
Everytime I bought Toyota I got a good deal, and the vehicles were fuel efficient and in varied states of wear or misuse.

I figured after my third that they were a target for vandals and thieves. I would regularly recieve calls from the police telling me my car has been found, since the joyriders got sick of such a low-profile and fuel efficient vehicle. I guess I should've replaced that broken window and the ignition which could be started with a screwdriver instead of being a square and buying liability insurance with the poo poo sum leftover from my minimum wage job.

Protip: Live and learn, then buy a used Ford.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
or save up to move if possible

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i bought a 2015 Mazda a few months ago it was only like $22k or so

was just tired of dealing with mechanics and break downs all the time

rabble rabble posted:

I've only got what, like 5 cars left i'm gonna own until i die/don't give a poo poo anymore? may as well not drive around in a piece of poo poo

also this

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A very large percentage of brand new 2015 model year cars are included in my definition of "piece of poo poo," because new does not equal good and in fact is often vastly inferior. Especially when talking about American cars.

Mazdas are cool though. As long as you like rust!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

A very large percentage of brand new 2015 model year cars are included in my definition of "piece of poo poo," because new does not equal good and in fact is often vastly inferior. Especially when talking about American cars.

Mazdas are cool though. As long as you like rust!!

good thing i live in CA where it's 70-85 degrees and sunny 95% of the year

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Just hope you don't need to fill your radiator!!

That's a water joke. Because you don't have any.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

FIRST TIME posted:

Certified pre-owned all day, every day.

Buy just off lease luxury cars with a warranty and laugh at retards that buy new.

I started doing this. CPO makes everything better. 2-3 year old cars, low teens for mileage, dealer takes care of issues. Trade it in when the warranty is going to run out. It's not the cheapest way to go (old high mileage toyotas rule for this), but I am an old and prefer to pay more for a nice car I don't have to fix, and that (mostly) doesn't strand me anywhere.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my bicycle is worth as much or more than a new kia or lovely mitsubishi

my legs and rear end are really nice you can grope them if you want

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Decrepus posted:

If your car detects you accelerating and continuing to drive with your turn signal on it should set off a small explosive charge underneath the driver's seat, killing you instantly.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I bought a new VW Polo in 1998 cash, gave it to my mom in 2007 who's still using it for mom things.
No major repairs, she paid some redneck 200$ this year to weld some rust spots or whatever it is these people do to keep cars running.
She has 10k saved up to buy a new little Romanian Chevy/Dacia for when it finally breaks down, if ever. :shrug:

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

buy a $500 used car, just walk away when it breaks down in traffic :feelsgood:

I've done that with two cars so far ('85 Volvo 240DL Wagon and a '94 Ford Ranger). Both were ~$600, bought 'em just to use as secondary functional useful dirt cheap cars for moving poo poo around, drove 'em into the ground over a few years, then ditched them when it just wasn't worth having them anymore and felt no guilt or remorse.

Infidel Castro posted:

The nice thing about buying new is you can get the exact car you want 99% of the time. The interest rates on a used car loan are higher than a new car, too.

lol if you're buying what is effectively a disposable commodity on a loan

Jesus Christ fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 31, 2015

Hamish Campbell
Jan 2, 2006

At least we didn't get dressed up for nothin'
When your credit is good and you're at the point in your life/career where you can manage it, buy an affordable new car at the lowest interest rate possible. Take advantage of seller rebates or 0% offers. Drive your new car for 8-12 years (or longer if you want). Take care of it. Have it serviced regularly. Keep it clean. Don't crash into other cars with it. Drive safely so your insurance rates are low. Enjoy your status as a 5%er.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
some girl on my Instagram made a big proud post about having a job since she was 14 years old and now in her early 20s she finally decided to get a new car with HER MONEY. it's a brand new kia soul.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I'm going to be buying a car new pretty soon. Buying used off CL and from dealerships seems like such a crapshoot and not all that cheap for something decent. Buying from friends and family is the best, but I have none of those. My job is physically, mentally, and emotionally draining. I barely have the energy to jerk off. The last thing I want to do is gently caress around with cars and worry if I can make it to point B. Anyway, you can get something like a Hyundai Accent or Nissan Versa for pretty cheap, even in automatic. Neither are going to be especially fun to drive, but driving for fun is a luxury. I am a mere peasant.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Why would buying from dealerships be a crapshoot? I would think it would be miles ahead of cragslist at least.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Got my 2 year old F150 for half price. Only had like 25k miles too. Now I can spend the money I saved on more cigarettes, lotto tickets & beer.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Why would buying from dealerships be a crapshoot? I would think it would be miles ahead of cragslist at least.

Just because it's not that much cheaper than buying a new low-end car and you don't have a warranty or knowledge of how the previous owner treated it. I know they sell certified pre-owned with a bit of warranty, but cheap ones usually sell for roughly the same prices as low-end new cars like the Versa and Accent.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ran Mad Dog posted:

yeah a dealership would never cheat their customers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
having to own a car is awful

america is a shithole

• Locked thread