Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ashgromnies posted:

then what's this poo poo about them having a lifetime warranty and breaking the consumer reports satisfaction scale?

i would absolutely buy a used tesla but our state govt is in the bed with the big three and dealerships and fighting hard to keep them out. they're illegal to buy new here so there are very few on the roads.

lol im so glad i don't live in some shitbird state like this

why are they illegal to buy new? what could possibly be the logic there or did they just straight go 'well we want to stifle competition' in the bill?

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

90s tacomas way better looking

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

WobblySausage posted:

90s tacomas way better looking

yea

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

lol im so glad i don't live in some shitbird state like this

why are they illegal to buy new? what could possibly be the logic there or did they just straight go 'well we want to stifle competition' in the bill?

it involves manufacturers not making direct sales to customers. people blame manufacturers for teslas woes but its really the dealers

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
ayy lmao

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014
I bought my Subaru Legacy used in '08 with 10k miles on it and have no regrets. Then I got married, had a litter of children and got my wife a Sienna. We went new because any late model minivan of reasonable quality and condition for sale was not much cheaper than sticker on a new. In fact, the 0% interest for the new vs the interest rate on a used made the difference maybe only a few hundred dollars in most cases.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

DirtyMick posted:

I bought my Subaru Legacy used in '08 with 10k miles on it and have no regrets. Then I got married, had a litter of children and got my wife a Sienna. We went new because any late model minivan of reasonable quality and condition for sale was not much cheaper than sticker on a new. In fact, the 0% interest for the new vs the interest rate on a used made the difference maybe only a few hundred dollars in most cases.

how does it feel to tuck your izod polo into your jorts sans belt

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

how does it feel to tuck your izod polo into your jorts sans belt

Izod... I wear Lacoste good sir.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

DirtyMick posted:

any car (esp like a kinda boring one) that the market is flooded with will be like this too- I remember that being the case with the Ford Taurus in the mid 2000's

they just could not sell the super-unsexy Taurus new for much more than a used one

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

DirtyMick posted:

Izod... I wear Lacoste good sir.

ill allow it

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
Suppose I should go drain the coolant. I'll save it for some murderous pitbulls terrorizing the cul-de-sac.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Are Toyota trucks supposed to look like little kids toys?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You can legit buy a new Tacoma for the same as one with 150k on it so I guess in that case buying new would make sense. But the last gen ones were better sized and as far as I know the frames will still fall apart if you live in an area that salts but a 6speed Tacoma is the only car I can see myself buying new.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Blue Raider posted:

tacoma my nigga

i can dig it. tacoma sounds like a good option

in general do you guys think newer vehicles are built worse than older vehicles? i think things like safety features have vastly improved

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

A misanthrope posted:

you guys convinced me

any other reliable 4-wheel vehicles?

Tacomas, 4Runners, older Wranglers with the 4.0/AX-15 manual combination. Up until 2000 or so there were actually a lot of Cherokees and Wranglers using what amounted to slightly modified Toyota transmissions paired to a straight-six whose closest living relatives are tractor engines, that's why there's still a ton of them out there 15 years later

Grand Cherokees are a whole different platform than the standard Cherokee so they're capable and comfortable, but not nearly as reliable. A lot of them have full-time AWD systems with negative quirks and long-term problems when compared to the selectable 4x2/4x4 system in the Cherokee or Wrangler, and they were designed around Ram transmissions. That's bad because literally everyone I know that's owned an older GC or Ram has suffered transmission failure somewhere between 100,000 and 150,000 miles, although they do have pretty solid engines and offer V8 options. They're fun if you're mechanically inclined and don't mind the weekend project of swapping in a remanufactured transmission at some point in the future, otherwise they're kind of an annoying money pit

A misanthrope posted:

in general do you guys think newer vehicles are built worse than older vehicles? i think things like safety features have vastly improved

yes and no? It's kind of hard to make a broad generalization like that given the huge amount of models and years out there. As for build quality I've seen body gaps close up and some interiors get nicer over time while others have gotten cheaper and more pasticky. As for reliability it's a mixed bag, for example long term newer Jeeps are unreliable trash compared to like a 99 Cherokee but they're safer and have a lot more comfort/amenities. JD Power's three-year dependability survey reports that reliability overall has been increasing, but also from what I've seen in the years after that when modern cars break they break hard. Everything is a lot more complex, an older car has a door locks and power windows and an HVAC system each controlled by its own simple circuit while a new one has everything on an interconnected proprietary digital data bus running to a tablet in the dash. The points of failure are more centralized and can even tell you they've failed so troubleshooting can be heavily automated (if you have the right $3000 diagnostic scanner) but failed components cost way more. Cheap and simple DIY repairs are becoming harder if not impossible due to increasing complexity and the requirement for specialized shop tools. Engines and transmissions have gotten more complex too, crash safety requirements have made cars heavier while CAFE and emission standards requirements have made manufacturers resort to every trick in the book ensure a heavy car can make good power and also get good fuel economy. The problems of complexity can be offset by good engineering and QC, but there's also naturally gonna be more potential points of failure in the long run on a DOHC VVT turbo 4 cyl that only makes impressive power at 6500 rpm vs an older and less complicated design. The fleet vehicles that I've seen last forever are basically modernized versions of 60s or 70s technology that barely-literate rednecks could easily understand and fix, ie mechanically simple high-displacement/low compression V8 or I6 engines that aren't particularly efficient or powerful but putter along forever at like 3k rpm

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 31, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

A misanthrope posted:

i can dig it. tacoma sounds like a good option

Nah, we're in another golden age right now for cars. everything from 73-late 90s/early 00s were pretty compromised and flawed with a few exceptions. Right now it's harder to find a bad newer car then an absolute poo poo one outside of Mopar pre-2010 and low cost GMs. Hell Toyota is as reliable as ever but is being seen as a negative because of how much more reliable Hyundai's Nissans and other Asian imports have become. Hell, Merc and BMW have even shaken off a lot of their bad reputations they got from the 80s-to 5 years ago.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Professor Awesome posted:

Tacomas, 4Runners, older Wranglers with the 4.0/AX-15 manual combination. Up until 2000 or so there were actually a lot of Cherokees and Wranglers using what amounted to slightly modified Toyota transmissions paired to a straight-six whose closest living relatives are tractor engines, that's why there's still a ton of them out there 15 years later

Grand Cherokees are a whole different platform than the standard Cherokee so they're capable and comfortable, but not nearly as reliable. A lot of them have full-time AWD systems with negative quirks and long-term problems when compared to the selectable 4x2/4x4 system in the Cherokee or Wrangler, and they were designed around Ram transmissions. That's bad because literally everyone I know that's owned an older GC or Ram has suffered transmission failure somewhere between 100,000 and 150,000 miles, although they do have pretty solid engines and offer V8 options. They're fun if you're mechanically inclined and don't mind the weekend project of swapping in a remanufactured transmission at some point in the future, otherwise they're kind of an annoying money pit

i'm glad i saw this because i was just looking at a grand cherokee

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Booblord Zagats posted:

Girlfriend might be buying a new Fiat 500L this weekend and she's pretty pumped about it

isnt that car basically a yugo. as in literally made in the factory that used to make yugos

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Decrepus posted:

Are Toyota trucks supposed to look like little kids toys?

it's better than the alternative:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jesus Christ posted:

So, who else are buying new cars? Are there really that many people out there -- average Joe Shmoes and Mary Muffins -- buying the 2016 Toyota Corolla instead of a 2013 for half the price? What is the mentality behind that decision? The only thing people ever seem to say is "blah blah blah I like the comfort and safety of a full coverage warranty and... you know, with used cars you never know how the last person drove it!"

Easy, I'm 100% anal and want to know about every lightbulb that's been changed and every curb my rims have scraped up against.

Plus, the trade-in value makes it only slightly less economically sound than leasing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mange Mite posted:

it's better than the alternative:

Holky gently caress.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ashgromnies posted:

then what's this poo poo about them having a lifetime warranty and breaking the consumer reports satisfaction scale?

i would absolutely buy a used tesla but our state govt is in the bed with the big three and dealerships and fighting hard to keep them out. they're illegal to buy new here so there are very few on the roads.

i know a friedn who also bought one and had to bring his in for service constantly. the giant touch screen used to crash and stop working. the stupid motorized door handles kept breaking too.

try driving one and youll see, they're actually not that great if youre used to cars in that price range

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Who drives a car for more than five years anyway? Every loving piece of poo poo my family has ever owned regardless of brand invariably turn to crap around the 130.000 mile mark.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Decrepus posted:

Holky gently caress.

Hay guys buy a toyota

or if you can afford it and want understated luxury, a lexus

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
We bought a new Yaris a few years ago. Since we have good credit we got real actual 0% financing and there was some nice rebates to bring the price down. We compared with 3 or so years old cars of the same model and once you factored in the interest rates the difference in price was marginal. We have one car for 2 person and plan on keeping it for a solid 10 years /until repairs cost too much.

Next time we buy a car we'll probably do the same (look for 2-4 years old model and compare it with the price of a new version of the same model) and buy whichever seems more advantageous. If we happen to have enough cash saved to buy the used one cash we'll probably go with that since it's really the interest rates that made it a not so good option for us back then.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Who drives a car for more than five years anyway? Every loving piece of poo poo my family has ever owned regardless of brand invariably turn to crap around the 130.000 mile mark.

My parents and my girlfriend parents both keep cars for at least 7 years. My parents have kept some for 11-12 years (they always buy toyotas). My girlfriend's mom had her last mazda for 7 years and a little over 300 000km on it.

We live in the worst place ever to keep cars too (snow and salt on the road for half the year).

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 31, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mange Mite posted:

isnt that car basically a yugo. as in literally made in the factory that used to make yugos

Yeah, back abut 35 years ago it was a Yugo plant, before that it was a plant for making unlicensed Willy's and Chevy deuce and a halves, and before that they made bolt action rifles.

Neat stuff.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

buying a new car or leasing a car is dumb and bad with money. also trading in a paid off car for another vehicle is dumb and bad with money. regular people don't become wealthy by being bad with money.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Stealthgerbil posted:

buying a new car or leasing a car is dumb and bad with money. also trading in a paid off car for another vehicle is dumb and bad with money. regular people don't become wealthy by being bad with money.

i guess this would be true if youre poor

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you're so broke you're worried about the difference between a new car at around $22k and a same model but older and used one that is $15k or whatever odds are you aren't becoming rich anyway

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stealthgerbil posted:

Agreed. Best to buy a car that suits your needs forever, and just keep replacing every part over and over while mechanics openly make fun of you.

Also this:

Moridin920 posted:

if you're so broke you're worried about the difference between a new car at around $22k and a same model but older and used one that is $15k or whatever odds are you aren't becoming rich anyway

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Actually who buys a car at all? That's right, someone that doesn't have respect for mother earth. Maybe it's time you started giving a poo poo about your carbon footprint and walked/cycled/skateboarded etc.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Booblord Zagats posted:

Girlfriend might be buying a new Fiat 500L this weekend and she's pretty pumped about it

is she brain damaged

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shirley Crabtree posted:

Actually who buys a car at all? That's right, someone that doesn't have respect for mother earth. Maybe it's time you started giving a poo poo about your carbon footprint and walked/cycled/skateboarded etc.

*rolls coal on u*

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
I want to buy amphibious car. What's goon recommendations?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Section 31 posted:

I want to buy amphibious car. What's goon recommendations?

Did they do Ted Kennedy's estate sale yet?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

A misanthrope posted:

i'm glad i saw this because i was just looking at a grand cherokee

Yeah you definitely don't want a grand cherokee. Or really any other chrysler product. A wrangler from the 90s could be good but unless you are trying to go wheeling they are too small for DD use and cost way, way more than a cherokee.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
Would you buy a new movie, lease it on Netflix, Score it at a used record store, or use a p2p interface to duplicate said commodity without depriving the original author use of their movie, all achieved for the mere price of electricity? I mean, gas prices are going through the roof. Like, you know, WHOA!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

Did they do Ted Kennedy's estate sale yet?

boo this man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

hackbunny posted:

is she brain damaged

Maybe somebody should let this guy in on the worst 2 car manufacturers, worldwide, for reliability.

It's fiat and dodge/jeep/chrysler. And fiat owns dodge/jeep/chrysler.

• Locked thread