Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

quote:

RED LAKE FALLS, Minn.—Jim Benoit wears his pride for his hometown across his chest—a pride that remained steadfast in the wake of an unflattering assessment of the city and surrounding county.

In an article published earlier this week by the Washington Post, Red Lake County was named the ugliest county in the entire contiguous United States.

"It's a great place to live," Benoit said, sporting a white shirt emblazoned with "Red Lake Falls, Minnesota 56750" in black lettering.

And he's not the only resident in town unhappy with the distinction.

"Everyone in town is insulted," said Gail Healy, who works at Wright's Everything Consignment in town.

The designation sparked protest on social media, with some posting photos of the county's landscape.

Even U.S. Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., was not pleased to see a Minnesota county ranked last.

"A survey taken in the Franken office determined that the least desirable place to live in the county is actually inside the Washington Post's headquarters," Franken told the Washington Post.

Residents such as Benoit are skeptical of the methodology the Post used that plunked their county at the bottom of the list.

"If they wrote that, they must not have visited," he said. "We've got a beautiful town. When we saw that come out, we were like 'Whoa, where did that come from? What are they using to gauge this?' "

The widely known newspaper devised a measure of the best and worst places to live in the country based on scenery and climate. Those criteria combine "six measures of climate, topography and water area that reflect environmental qualities most people prefer."

Those qualities, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture "include mild, sunny winters, temperate summers, low humidity, topographic variation and access to a body of water."

"We might not have a lake, but we have two rivers," Healy said. "There's no way you can go there and say that it's not pretty."

Red Lake Falls sits near the intersection of the Red Lake and Clearwater rivers.

Much of the county is rural. It boasts a population of about 4,000 people, making it one of the least-populated counties in the state. It's so small there is not a single stoplight in the county.

Before this week, Red Lake County's claim to fame was that it is the only landlocked county in the U.S. that is surrounded by just two neighboring counties. Thanks to the Post's analysis, though, that's changed.

"One of the reasons I like it here is because there's no notoriety," Healy said before chuckling. "I guess that's not the case anymore."

Other counties in the Red River Valley didn't fare much better in the study. Among the 3,111 counties studied, the Post named others with "extremely low natural amenities:"

• Cass, 3099;

• Kittson, 3,101;

• Pennington, 3,102;

• Grand Forks, 3,103;

• Traill, 3,105;

• Pembina, 3,106;

• Norman, 3,108;

• Wilkin, 3,110.

Ventura County, Calif., was listed as the most desirable place to live.

Denny Wynne of Grand Forks said he doesn't understand how the area, and particularly Red Lake County was ranked so low either. Clearwater River is one of his favorite fishing spots in the state.

He spent his day off Thursday fishing along the "picturesque" banks of the river.

"There's no way you can come out here and call this place ugly," Wynne said. "To me, this is one of the prettiest places in the area. I love coming over here."

Obviously they heard about this secondhand because I don't think the residents of Red Lake would read a "fancy city folks paper for feggits" Anyways the outrage was enough that the writer of the piece came to Red Lake and gave it some stellar reviews

http://www.startribune.com/washington-post-detractor-gets-tour-of-ugliest-red-lake-county/323167281/

quote:

“If this is such a bad place,” she said, “why do people stay here?”

look at the view!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Lol Ventura county desirable. Lemme live in Oxnard lol.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
do not care about this; didnt read

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Bip Roberts posted:

It's like exactly the same as Santa Barbara except with cheaper housing prices and less fraternities, what's the problem?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I'm Offended.

Now make the world conform to my every whim.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
to be fair, thats a really loving retarded and pointless article to write

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
If you ever wonder why rural people complain about ivory tower over-educated liberals from big cities it's pretty much because of stuff like this.

Mutual hostility.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Hobohemian posted:

It's like exactly the same as Santa Barbara except with cheaper housing prices and less fraternities, what's the problem?

Ventura is garbage, Oxnard smells like fertilizer, TO is the worst suburbia in southern california and a trillion degrees, Simi is somehow worse than TO, never been to Ojai.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Agreed. Also seems classist to me.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Just checked it out on google maps, the town has a store called "Thrifty white drugs."

Doesn't seem that bad though, I'm sure Detroit is a worse place to live.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

minnesota is poo poo hth

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Obviously they heard about this secondhand because I don't think the residents of Red Lake would read a "fancy city folks paper for feggits" Anyways the outrage was enough that the writer of the piece came to Red Lake and gave it some stellar reviews

http://www.startribune.com/washington-post-detractor-gets-tour-of-ugliest-red-lake-county/323167281/

look at the view!

thanks for bolding parts in your article about dirt farms ill be sure to read this entire thing

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
How do you farm dirt?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

symbolic posted:

minnesota is poo poo hth

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

psyopmonkey2 posted:

How do you farm dirt?

it does most of the work itself ya just gotta make sure the land isn't sour

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I'll take you to a place you've never been: Oxnard
Then make you suck a bull's nut: Oxnard
-lonely island

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Universe Master posted:

I'll take you to a place you've never been: Oxnard
Then make you suck a bull's nut: Oxnard
-lonely island

theres a reseller on amazon called oxgord i thought it was oxford and they typod but no its a legit brand what the gently caress is an oxgord

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Roy posted:

Just checked it out on google maps, the town has a store called "Thrifty white drugs."

Doesn't seem that bad though, I'm sure Detroit is a worse place to live.

its a chain of drug stores. they suck, but thrifty does not have as much of a negative connotation up here

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TwoFire posted:

theres a reseller on amazon called oxgord i thought it was oxford and they typod but no its a legit brand what the gently caress is an oxgord

Oxgord website posted:

Welcome to OxGord.com, also known as the worlds leading manufacturer and distributor of high quality Auto Parts & Accessories, Pet Supplies, and Home, Garden & Tools.
what the gently caress kind of company makes car seat covers as well as training collars??

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

symbolic posted:

what the gently caress kind of company makes car seat covers as well as training collars??

one after my heart, thats for sure.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Jim Benoit, lol.
Hi there, my name is Jeff Hitler.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Eh, I've been through the Red River Valley a bunch of times, it's no worse in terms of beauty than about a trillion other Midwestern rural counties.

That's the problem with poo poo-stupid lists like this - some poor undeserving bastard's gonna end up dead last because the lazy fucks at the magazine are just plugging weather and topography info into a spreadsheet. None of them have ever been to 95% of the places they're judging.

Meanwhile, pig-ugly places like Fresno, Palmdale and Barstow aren't even mentioned - probably because average winter temperature isn't as low.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are dairy farms supposed to be ugly? Personally I can find beauty in a system like a well-run farm.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
FYI: no farms, no food.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
why does anyone care if farm country is ugly or not. if it grows food, its good

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

That's the problem with poo poo-stupid lists like this - some poor undeserving bastard's gonna end up dead last because the lazy fucks at the magazine are just plugging weather and topography info into a spreadsheet. None of them have ever been to 95% of the places they're judging.

I doubt they did that much. They probably had 50 places that were within a hundredth of a percentage point in difference and some loser says, "Oh that place? I got dumped by a girl who was from that place. pick that one." So they do.

There's a county in the middle of Arizona with a long valley with a prison right in the middle of it, along I-80 (or 90? I forget). It looked like literal hell on Earth. No way that place in the middle of Minnesota is worst than that place, living-wise.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GORDON posted:

Are dairy farms supposed to be ugly? Personally I can find beauty in a system like a well-run farm.
then you catch the smell of a well-run farm

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

symbolic posted:

then you catch the smell of a well-run farm

The farmers I used to know would say, "That's the smell of money."

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

GORDON posted:

you sound like you'd be loving ecstatic if someone showed you a train-yard

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yes i love seeing chickens in tiny cages pooping eggs nonstop

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bip Roberts posted:

I got pulled over for going five over. Ventura cops can get shot in the face

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
Works Cited

Anno Hideaki. Kareshi Kanojo no Jijo. Musashino: Gainax Studios, 1998-1999.
Anno Hideaki. Neon Genesis Evangelion. Musashino: Gainax Studios, 1994-1996.
"Jacques Lacan." Internet. Accessed 3 May 2001.
"Please Listen to Me, Mr. Anno!" Mainichi Intermediate-School News, 1998.
This paper was not a work of written sources so much as it was a work of oral ones. The bulk of the ideas presented are not the result of reading but of discussion; they are not cited in footnotes but in direct references within the text. Listed here, in no particular order, are the people to whom I am most deeply indebted, for having lent their knowledge and expertise to my writing. Names have been initialized for privacy.
L.-W.K., for her insightful criticism which allowed me to improve this paper greatly.
A.Y.L., for his knowledge on Freudian psychology and its applications to Evangelion.
J.S., for his insights on psychology in Evangelion.
I.W., for providing numerous sources and much knowledge on psychological analysis.
K.G., for his vast expertise on Evangelion.
S.J.H., for her ideas on self-perception and its effects on an audience.
Prof. Susan Napier, for providing background into Anno's life and for animation in general.
Prof. Daniel Botsman, for his teachings on the effects of the Meiji Restoration on modern Japan.
Notes

"Jacques Lacan," internet, http://www.colorado.edu/English/ENGL2012Klages/lacan.shtml, accessed 3 May 2001.
Anno Hideaki, Kareshi Kanojo no Jijo, episodes 3, 18.
Kare Kano, episode 3.
Anno Hideaki, Neon Genesis Evangelion, episode 1.
Evangelion, episode 1.
Evangelion, episode 12.
Evangelion, episode 20.
A.Y.L., personal discussions.
"Jacques Lacan."
Evangelion, episode 1.
Kare Kano, episode 1.
Evangelion, episode 12.
Evangelion, episode 25.
Kare Kano, episode 1.
Kare Kano, episode 3.
Evangelion, episode 18.
Evangelion, episode 24.
End of Evangelion part 1.
End of Evangelion part 2.
"Jacques Lacan."
"Jacques Lacan."
Evangelion, episode 24.
Evangelion, throughout.
Kare Kano, throughout.
Kare Kano, episode 3.
End of Evangelion.
Kare Kano, throughout.
End of Evangelion.
End of Evangelion.
Interview with Fujimi High School, part 4, "Please Listen to Me, Mr. Anno!" Mainichi Intermediate-School News 3 Sept 1998.
Prof. Daniel Botsman, Historical Study B-67, lecture 1.
Prof. Susan Napier, Japanese Literature 135, lecture 9.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Ventura is garbage, Oxnard smells like fertilizer, TO is the worst suburbia in southern california and a trillion degrees, Simi is somehow worse than TO, never been to Ojai.

Born and raised in Camarillo. We're pretty awesome, especially if you like old people, lovely drivers, and outlet malls.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

worst? ugly? boring? how did bakersfield and sunnyvale not tie for first - Allan Carolla, star of Lifeline

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
I call bullshit.

Dirt doesn't grow on farms, it comes from dirt mines.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Red river valley is boring but not any worse than say north dakota, south dakota, oklahoma, nebraska, kansas, etc.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I thought this was going to be another jastiger-bait thread.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Looks like someone's never driven through Texas.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Why do they even care, is this going to mess with Shithole, Nowhere's important tourism industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

from watergate to 'top 10 ugliest counties, #3 will make you poo poo!!'

well done washington post

• Locked thread