Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What's your budget?

There's a van in ritchie bros with half the hard work already done. the 2 valve 5.4 is a pile of dogshit, but something like this won't leave you on the side of the road for at least another 30,000kms and you'll be able to buy parts for it anywhere. a couple like it went for about $16,000 in the RB auction in alaska a few months ago, but the canadian market is very different and i'm not sure what the dollar is gonna do to all of this. It has the added benefit of looking like every other van in the city, so you could put a sign on the side like "flowers by irene" and it would suddenly turn invisible. some municipalities are going after parking lot camping.

https://www.rbauction.com/2012-FORD-E350-XLT-12-Passenger-4x4?invId=8584251&id=ci&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2015162

The express came in AWD, but only in the short wheelbase, which is going to be super tight. A lot of them were also made with the 4.8 which destroys fuel like nobody's business.

pretty much anything else awd/4x4 is either going to be a lot of work, or a potentially sketchy conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rime posted:

Oh boy. Nah, 22ft is a bit longer wheelbase than I'd like to be handling in the bush and that 5.4 gets rough milage. Right now an early-2000's Astro with a custom mid-top & sleeping platform is my ideal in terms of price, size, and versatility, preferably with dutch doors (although those seem extremely rare up here for some reason).

The goal is to keep van + outfitting under $8k max, which puts me at about $6k for the vehicle tops. Thankfully I am a member of an industrial wood & metal makerspace, so doing everything myself is only limited by my own skill level and free time.

Advertising on Youtube was my career for six years, trust me, ain't nobody getting rich off welding tutorials on there. :v:

With the number of well paid, sane, and clean-cut professionals I know making this same move because they can no longer justify the ludicrous cost of living in Canada, it'd drat well better. :argh:

An AWD astro would be nice, but they're all getting pretty well worn out.

The big problem with a mid-top is that it's the universal sign for "i'm camping here" which is illegal and enforced in a lot of places.

Reseaching this stuff for my own means a while back, i came upon this company called flip pac that makes these campers. you could probably make your own with a cheap tonneau cover off kijiji and a 6 man tent from walmart. just make 2 or 3 ribs and have it open like an accordian when you flip the top over. a couple bars on the bumper to support the top at full open and a large hinge at the front, and you're set. you do lose the roof as any kind of storage option though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

You know, going all over the downtrodden parts of the former Soviet Block between the Black and Caspian was probably cathartic as gently caress but paying a bunch of money to reno a van, IDK man.

Maybe buy yourself a used pickup with a slide in camper and try it out for a while before you go building a tiny home on wheels.

If he does it right, he could actually be increasing it's value. Prepare to be bamboozled by prices.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/preowned-sportsmobile-west-inc/

He could then roll that money into a larger van and do it again. Eventually he could own vans all over the city, paying for themselves with rental income.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I thought you wanted to live on a boat. Will the van be equipped to at least cross rivers?

i've looked up the boat thing too.

If you're living and working somewhere, you have pay for mooring at a marina somewhere. you might as well be paying rent.

If you're sailing, you really need somebody to sail with. you need somebody else with nothing to do, who you're fine with being confined in a small box with for a few weeks at a time. a cellmate. You COULD sail solo, but there's a lot of risk there, and it turns a few days into a week pretty easily. you still need transportation in land in a lot of places too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's the chinese buying all the vans as investments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Blitter posted:

I'm confused; there seems to be lots of vans in western Canada for reasonable prices; why not get it inspected, and go pick it up?

Or, just buy this local to you extended e350 for $5500?

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/AdDetailInfo.aspx?srcID=19&frnID=8982760

This is a 20 year old van with 244,000 kilometers. A $600 van at auctions here.

Looking through the auction results for the local auctions here, for that same price, you can get an 08-12 chevy with 150,000kms. For $8000, you could get a 2012 ford passenger van with 50,000kms.

This is stuff from the auction in edmonton on september 27th.

This should go between $2000 and $4500. there are 4-5 similar ones there.
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5Edc5b437814ed4fea88d014fe2bcd9e7c

These things used to go for ~$6000 a year or two ago, you're obviously not getting too deep into the woods with it, but it's the only option that will see over 20mpg ever
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5E74a984a56e494863addc4ed1987d7046

and hey, what's this? it's a low mile AWD dutch door safari! I would expect between $3000 and $5000
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5Eff5743407b76481093c770770bf194a5

edit: bonus. it's one of the last vehicles of the day, so it should go cheaper, and going through the truck lanes so you can bid online. It's meant to be.

Don't you want to tell your kids about that time you bought a van at auction 10 hours away sight unseen, and took a 24 hour bus right through the mountains with a license plate in your pocket and drove it back?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 18, 2015

• Locked thread