Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Crazy rear end Goon Monologue Intro
Awww yeah, finally doing this poo poo. Roomates? Rent? THE MAN?!?. Nah, done. Out of it. Returned from the Caucasus with a cultural awakening, bitches. Tired of paying a quarter of my paycheque to split a rotting dive with four other assholes. Tired of being tied down to one city for work unless I slay myself packing and unpacking a mountain of boxes while scrambling to find some dive to rent in the worst rental market in North America.

Considered a boat for a few years, but boats are bloody expensive. And damp, very very damp. I'm not rich or patient enough for that poo poo, and while I can't drive a boat up a mountain I can certainly mount a kayak on a van.

So, fed up with the suffocating decline of western society and fliff with mountains of cash: I'm buying a van and building the most baller mobile hippy space that I can dream up inside it. Then I'm going to live in it, on the mean streets of British Columbia, for at least three years. I considered posting this in GBS, but since it's a multi-month project to get this poo poo built I figured it would end up archived or drowned in pages of one-word shitposts before it ever got finished.

The Inspiration:

Each of those is a hyperlink to the respective builds. You can see that my ideology here follows build it like a yacht inside and you won't hate living in van.

The Bare Platform:
Coming Soon! Off to a wrecking yard to get a feel for various vans this week. Goal is to have some rolling deathtrap that I can start slicing up and welding back together by the start of October. Preferably 4x4.

Lol, U gon poop in a bucket / get stabbed / rape van
IDGAF what you have to say and I'll be updating this on the reg. Come at me. :colbert:

Rime fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dannywilson posted:

What are you going to do about toilet/showers? Cheap 24 hour gym membership? It may be in your interests to find a cheap Toyota Dolphin and gut/redo the inside to fit your yacht motif.

I'll put a little QA in the opening post with those common questions but yeah, basically a community gym pass does the job when you're in civilization. Living out of a backpack made me realize how flexibly you can work around things if you're savvy enough. Walk into any hotel like you own it and the bathrooms are yours for the taking.

Dolphins are exorbitantly too large. Frankly the extended GMC Savanah in that first link is too large for my tastes, as is your usual Class-B conversion by GetAway. The VW Transporter in the third link is my ideal size and layout, despite the sliding rather than suicide doors, but I don't think any were ever imported to Canada alas.

I'm going light, minimal, something that has enough room for my hobby gear and which I can winch out of some decades-abandoned logging road that I should never have driven up in the first place. I'd happily build up inside an 8-seat Delica if they weren't close to 20k here.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oh boy. Nah, 22ft is a bit longer wheelbase than I'd like to be handling in the bush and that 5.4 gets rough milage. Right now an early-2000's Astro with a custom mid-top & sleeping platform is my ideal in terms of price, size, and versatility, preferably with dutch doors (although those seem extremely rare up here for some reason).

The goal is to keep van + outfitting under $8k max, which puts me at about $6k for the vehicle tops. Thankfully I am a member of an industrial wood & metal makerspace, so doing everything myself is only limited by my own skill level and free time.

Advertising on Youtube was my career for six years, trust me, ain't nobody getting rich off welding tutorials on there. :v:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder if Harper's home renovation credit will count for van mods?

With the number of well paid, sane, and clean-cut professionals I know making this same move because they can no longer justify the ludicrous cost of living in Canada, it'd drat well better. :argh:

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 31, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oh man, there's a couple hundred people living in downtown Vancouver in just the rattiest RV's and high-tops you could possibly imagine. Rust and moss and haven't moved in all the years I've been riding past them. The VPD just truly does not care for some reason.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Being a visionary and the creative voice of a generation, I'm ahead of the game right now and leading the pack towards the work future of most Canadians: perpetual unemployment.

I groundfloored and subsequently cashed out of a tech startup so absurd that it makes JPOD look banal, played a long-con for a year and a half until they had no choice but to lay me off, and am now cruising on that sweet sweet severance and waiting for my EI to kick in.

Had I not been on the losing end of office politics early in the companies career, I'd be moving onto a Nor'Sea 27 rather than building a hippy wagon. :suicide:

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Van prices can only go up!

You joke, but Westfalias and Delicas increase in value YoY for no reason beyond hipsters. :stare:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Having done some sailing myself I think that the nautical wood aesthetic would be great for a liveaboard scenario on land. Would you keep something like a Thetford portapotty in the van? Any plumbing for water? I'm looking at doing something like this:
http://www.stealthsprinter.com/van-build/water/

I'm not big on the bulk and hassle of installing sewage, however down the road if I can get my hands on a Dometic/Cramer/SMEV sink & stove combo then I'll do some minimal plumbing to facilitate the use of it. Like so:

The problem is that these seemingly do not exist in North America in any model, period, so the price will be excessive to acquire and I don't like that at all. As such I'll build around the dimensions of the one I want but leave it as a slot-in upgrade down the road as finances allow for. :argh:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Guys, I do not know what crack is being smoked by the van market in the lower mainland. What I do know is that 380k and 290k are both at the upper operational bounds for diesel and gasoline engines (respectively) before major work is probably required, and thus asking $10k for a 15-20 year old RWD cargo van is pretty much insane. :stare:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Whoa, crazy week. Actually started looking for gainful employment again since waiting for EI is pretty boring.

The van market here remains crap. A decent looking '97 Dodge Ram 2500 showed up for $3k, and only 72k on the clock, however it's so cheap that it's honestly concerning and it's an extended body so I'm not too keen on the size. I'm checking it out on the weekend anyways, mainly because this showed up recently.

Also on track to get my drivers license by the end of the month, which is rather central to this whole plan. :v:

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The prices in this town. :negative:

• Locked thread