Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Oh hey, this is good timing because I just bought a van. Mine's gonna be for motorcycle hauling and camping vs full-time living, so I went... big.

Real big. 1999 E350 extended wheelbase with the V10... bad mileage but it should last forever, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than finding a 7.3 diesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

It can spit out spark plugs if they aren't changed for a long time since they are attached with like 2 threads, but other than that everyone on the FORDTRUCKS DOT COM FORUMS seems to report them lasting 200-300k without any major problems. So, I asked them to do the plugs before purchasing.

It also came with 400 amps @ 12v worth of deep cycle golf cart batteries new in 2015 :getin:.

OP, did they ever get Toyota Siennas in Canada with the AWD? I've read about some cool conversions that take advantage of the extra space gained by removing the hiding folding seats.

Having done some sailing myself I think that the nautical wood aesthetic would be great for a liveaboard scenario on land. Would you keep something like a Thetford portapotty in the van? Any plumbing for water? I'm looking at doing something like this:
http://www.stealthsprinter.com/van-build/water/

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Rime posted:

Guys, I do not know what crack is being smoked by the van market in the lower mainland. What I do know is that 380k and 290k are both at the upper operational bounds for diesel and gasoline engines (respectively) before major work is probably required, and thus asking $10k for a 15-20 year old RWD cargo van is pretty much insane. :stare:

Is that for sprinters, or for any cargo van at all???

I know that sprinters are bizarrely expensive here in the US, even when they are beat to poo poo, but it's hard to picture paying that for an old Ford.

My '99 E350 (106k miles, almost no rust) cost $3500, and came with $500 worth of nearly new aux batteries and a beat up hightop already installed... and I still feel like I didn't get that great of a deal.

• Locked thread