Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DRUNK HISTORY SEASON 3 PREMIERES TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1st AT 10:30 PM EST

quote:

http://tvimpulse.com/comedy-central-sets-summer-premiere-dates-for-another-period-the-meltdown-more=40826

“Drunk History” returns for a third season of pairing inebriated storytellers with A-list talent to reenact great moments in history with unforgettable results. Created for television by series host Derek Waters and director Jeremy Konner, “Drunk History” takes viewers on a tour of cities across America, providing a unique take on the familiar and less familiar people and events from our country’s great past. As told by narrators who stumble and slur their way through the re-telling, season two segments featured guest stars including Jack Black, Courteney Cox, David Cross, Charlie Day, Laura Dern, Emily Deschanel, Nathan Fielder, Johnny Knoxville, Nick Kroll, John Lithgow, Jordan Peele, Joe Lo Truglio, Jack McBrayer, Stephen Merchant, Patton Oswalt, Busy Philips, Jason Ritter, Winona Ryder, among many others. This season the show takes on stories about Cleveland, New Jersey, Miami, New Orleans, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, space, inventors, games, spies, and journalism, covering everything from the invention of motion pictures to the rise and fall of the Cocaine Godmother and the truth behind Roswell.

In case you're reading this thread and you're not familiar with Drunk History, here's what you need to know. Our host, Derek Waters, goes to the house of some sort of comedian or writer and plies them with liquor (or beer or wine, whatever's going to go down easiest). Throughout the course of the night, he asks them to recount a story, in their own words, from American History that they've researched previously. They film it, and drinking continues until the storyteller can no longer stand.

They then edit the various retellings together into one cohesive story, typically using the drunkest take each time they can get away with it. (I feel it's important to mention that they do make a concerted effort to make sure the final product is as historically accurate as possible, making the show somewhat educational!) They then have actors portray the actions and dialogue being recounted by the storyteller, using both a pool of talented house actors combined with a very impressive list of guest actors. Seriously, check out the names on the Drunk History Wikipedia page for a full list of actors who have appeared on this show.

Links:

Drunk History official Comedy Central Page - Watch every episode from Seasons 1 and 2, plus some cool behind the scenes features
Drunk History Wikipedia page - Contains a full list of storytellers and actors from each episode
Season 1 archived thread
Season 2 archived thread
AV Club article Parts One and Two - some really interesting insight into the process of filming Drunk History, including detailed notes from Derek Waters and Jeremy Konner on each episode in Season 1

timp fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I am so ready for this.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I am so freaking excited for this to come back.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Somebody needs to have an intervention for Padget Brewster. I think this will be her third or fourth one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

According to Derek Waters one of the story tellers this season (Dan Harmon) gets the drunkest he's ever seen and because Derek tries to match the level of the story teller he ends up the drunkest he's ever been.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes. Yes. This is what we need in our lives.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muscles like this? posted:

According to Derek Waters one of the story tellers this season (Dan Harmon) gets the drunkest he's ever seen and because Derek tries to match the level of the story teller he ends up the drunkest he's ever been.

oh my goddddddd

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I have a friend who insists that they fake being drunk in this show. You know, acting for the sake of being entertaining.

I suspect the Harmon segment is gonna put that to rest.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

I have a friend who insists that they fake being drunk in this show. You know, acting for the sake of being entertaining.

Well there's definitely a spectrum of drunkenness. Jonah Ray (Season 2, Hawaii, Captain Cook) probably got the least drunk of anyone in the first two seasons (they give him a lot of poo poo over it in the DVD commentary and extra features)

But Kyle Kinane (Season 1, Chicago, Haymarket Riot) and Drew Droege (Season 2, Hollywood, Ronald Reagan) stand out to me as just being obliterated, moreso than any others I can recall. If they were faking they sure as hell fooled me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Love the miniature work.

The winds don't care!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drat, Stephen Merchant is tall.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And he did! He did!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Jenny Slate is adorable. And possibly insane.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm the universe. Just suck on it for a second.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

muscles like this? posted:

having alcoholics on the show seems like cheating

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JT Jag posted:

I'm pretty sure they do multiple runs of the story at different levels of drunk throughout the night then edit it to make it the most entertaining version.

I think if people are watching just trying to poke holes in how wasted someone is, they're just wasting their own time. I generally don't watch every episode in a season but it's such a great concept, and what I saw of the UK version managed to gently caress it up so insanely badly that I've managed to blur it out of my mind. With alcohol.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm pretty sure they do multiple runs of the story at different levels of drunk throughout the night then edit it to make it the most entertaining version.

I think if people are watching just trying to poke holes in how wasted someone is, they're just wasting their own time. I generally don't watch every episode in a season but it's such a great concept, and what I saw of the UK version managed to gently caress it up so insanely badly that I've managed to blur it out of my mind. With alcohol.

How did the UK version gently caress it up?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm honestly not lying when I said I've somehow managed to force it out of my memories. What I recall though from what I saw, was a Xmas episode that started it off and had someone essentially reciting a standup routine about the birth of Jesus. They were telling jokes and doing voices from memory.

It was probably someone awful like Russell Kane or Russell Howard or something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Just found out Tess Lynch is Jane Curtin's daughter. It's uncanny, really.

And to give an idea of the lead time on this show, she's now nine months pregnant.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

EL BROMANCE posted:

From what i remember they do a "dry run" totally sober to establish a base line, then a pretty drunk run, then a totally wasted run. I imagine they mainly like to use that last one, but need that second run for any spots they literally can't speak.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Just found out Tess Lynch is Jane Curtin's daughter. It's uncanny, really.

And to give an idea of the lead time on this show, she's now nine months pregnant.

I had to google it when I was watching because she looks exactly like her mother.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

How did the UK version gently caress it up?

I think there are a few vital components to Drunk History:

1) Sincerity. The drunk person must legitimately want to tell the story and legitimately like the story. That leads to them getting excited about it.

2) Commitment to the warped verisimilitude: The re-enactors must commit to essentially being marionettes of the narrator. They should go along with the slurring, the forgotten names, and the cultural anachronisms, and only express confusion when the narrator themselves is confused.

I think I ever saw the UK version, I think I just read reviews - but I think they at least got these things either partially or completely wrong.

Edit: Also, the presence of Derek or someone like him is vital - someone who serves as a bit of an anchor in the drinking scenes, and acts as the audience's surrogate in asking questions and for clarifications of the crazy poo poo that comes out of people's mouths.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 3, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Miami tonight!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay this started slow but I like where it ended up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And now Dan Harmon

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Maya Rudolph is a goddamn natural at this

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm going to need Maya doing cocaine as a gif Stat.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
"I can't see you"
"I can see two of you"

2012 2004

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That would be like... Thomas Edison, after his long career... getting strangled in his sleep by a light bulb.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm going to need Maya doing cocaine as a gif Stat.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

:hellyeah:

I will definitely be adding any gifs posted in this thread to the OP so throw em up if ya got em! This is quite possibly the most giffable show on TV right now, especially when subtitled.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:swoon:

That is everything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ashpanash posted:

I think there are a few vital components to Drunk History:

1) Sincerity. The drunk person must legitimately want to tell the story and legitimately like the story. That leads to them getting excited about it.

2) Commitment to the warped verisimilitude: The re-enactors must commit to essentially being marionettes of the narrator. They should go along with the slurring, the forgotten names, and the cultural anachronisms, and only express confusion when the narrator themselves is confused.

I think I ever saw the UK version, I think I just read reviews - but I think they at least got these things either partially or completely wrong.

Edit: Also, the presence of Derek or someone like him is vital - someone who serves as a bit of an anchor in the drinking scenes, and acts as the audience's surrogate in asking questions and for clarifications of the crazy poo poo that comes out of people's mouths.

I'm watching the UK version right now.

- Yeah, they need an anchor like Derek. There's an unstated premise in the original version that Derek is on a journey around America to learn about history from the locals. Also, Derek's presence is really important for the storyteller to talk to and make everything feel like a genuine conversation. Moments like Paget Brewster putting her grandma's dress on Derek Waters or Jen Kirkman crying on Derek's shoulder about the injustice of Mary Dyer's execution is the sort of thing that makes the recording sessions feel like a couple of friends just hanging out, compared to the clinical feel of the UK version where they're just talking to thin air. It's a very subtle thing, but when the US storytellers are looking off camera, you know they're talking to Derek and it feels grounded. In the UK version they also don't look straight at the camera, but you wonder who or what they're talking to. The audience? Jimmy Carr? A producer?

- The UK version isn't based around locations, which feels like it's missing some secret sauce compared to the US version. It ties all the stories together into a theme (and even if there are a couple US episodes which aren't location-based, at least they pick a theme, like women or athletes). The intro the US episodes do where they walk around joints in the city and get to meet the locals does a fantastic and under-recognized job of prepping the audience emotionally for the stories. Despite telling stories drunk off their asses there is some genuine sense of respect and awe about the history of Atlanta, Boston and Washington, etc.

- Jimmy Carr goes overboard in hyping up the segments. Listing off what the storytellers drank on screen, and even telling us what the story's going to be about before the storytellers get to tell their story kind of feels like the show is spoiling the moment for the storytellers. Let them tell the audience how much they drank. Let them introduce the story. It's such a minor thing but it makes a huge difference to hear Amber Ruffin introduce the topic of Claudette Colvin rather than hearing Jimmy Carr tell you what the next story is going to be with a comic doodle on a yellowed textbook page.

- I dunno if it's the editors or if they just have better storytellers, but the US version seems to have better stories where each segment has some great dramatic irony or some moral of the story. The UK stories kind of feel like "a bunch of stupid poo poo happened, the end." Not all the time, but generally the UK stories feel more meaningless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fpok24QaAU

edit: Also, the US storytellers seem to get drunker. The UK storytellers don't seem to struggle with slurred speech and mistakes as much.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 10, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steve Yun posted:

I'm watching the UK version right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fpok24QaAU

Sheesh that's just weird, like the concept doesn't work at all.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
I guess that I expected too much from the Harmon hype, I enjoyed it.. but wasn't blown away from what I thought it'd be.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wagnike2 posted:

I guess that I expected too much from the Harmon hype, I enjoyed it.. but wasn't blown away from what I thought it'd be.

Considering Derek had mentioned before the premiere that his interview with Dan Harmon was the drunkest he's ever been in his life...yeah, I was expecting something really crazy. It was a good segment, definitely funny, but not off the rails like an evening with Kyle Kinane or Jen Kirkman.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Steve Yun posted:

Derek's presence is really important for the storyteller to talk to and make everything feel like a genuine conversation.

Absolutely. I saw the clips of the UK version and it's pretty amazing how critical a role Derek plays. The framing of the storyteller needs to be such that you feel as if you are vicariously part of the conversation. The storyteller needs to be at ease and comfortable, with the vibe of telling a story to a friend, not giving a lecture. This leads to a playful atmosphere, with both absurd embellishments and glossing over of details of the story, which add to the fun. (I'm thinking of the names of the balloons in the first episode as an example - also a situation where the set design/art direction of the American show is far superior, in that they take those weird idiosyncrasies and add them to the story.)

In addition, it's less of an important point but it's still noticeable, having Derek in both the interview and the re-enactment acts as a kind of bridge between the 'worlds' - it's equivalent to the viewer imagining themselves in the story.

Also, one thing I noticed is that they added some sound effects in the UK version? No! All diegetic sound should come from the interview. Any incidental sound should play a role in the re-enactment. It's a very effective way to add to the silliness. Adding sounds to the re-enactment (like crunching the apple) just ruins the joke.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A year ago Derek Waters was on the Sklar Brotherss podcast where he talked about the show. Yes, the people are really getting drunk and aren't faking. As a result, he said every single storyteller on the show has contracted him the following day, and apologizes to him for not being able to go through with it. He then has to reassure them that no, you actually did get the story told.

The podcast in question: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/sklarbro-county-119/

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I still think one highpoint was the Dolly Parton story, where the storyteller (and I honestly forget who it was) "sings" "I Will Always Love You", and is so completely off that their lawyers told them not to worry about getting the rights because it clearly is not the same song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
drat Tosh.o is a loving terrible lead-in.

• Locked thread