Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I work in MD as a programmer and happened upon a pretty uncomfortable situation in a meeting with a higher up. In this meeting we were discussing the next cycle of development (i think 5 of us) and the "higher up" mentioned some reward if the team gets the next cycle done on time. He mentioned this reward to the team (basically a trip somewhere) and then said: "I'll even bring you're sorry rear end" to me. Now I dunno why he chose to say this, I've done a great job according to my direct boss, even got a raise a few months in and this higher up guy doesnt even know my name as far as I know, and knows nothing about me. Now normally, this kind of thing wouldn't bother me at all - its just banter between colleagues/friends or whatever. But over a week or so I just can't stop thinking about it - it frustrates me that he talked to me in this manner in a professional setting in front of other people when he's basically never even had a conversation with me before. There have been other issues I've had with the workplace, mainly about how I've seen a different managers in the company treat another employee who happened to be Indian with an incredible amount of disrespect and unfairness for no reason that I can think of other than the fact that he was indian. Never anything specifically racist, just treating him like poo poo, giving him a hard time for asking questions, etc. He was later fired for finally speaking up when he was made to be frustrated enough to not keep his cool.

All this and other uncomfortable but never explicit discriminations have really got me not wanting to work for this place anymore. I know the laws in maryland concerning employee rights are basically nothing (right to work), so is there anything I can do about this other than stick with it and hopefully find employment somewhere else, then leave? I read some of the online docs on workers rights in maryland but it seems the only way you can actually legally defend yourself is if the harassment was based on something like race/sexuality/etc. Do I have any options? I feel like its only going to get worse from what I've seen here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread