Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

that's right, Jason Segal has been cast as DFW in the new film The End of the Tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBk1Mrb4RyM

i dont know what to expect or how to feel. Wallace's words have moved me in a unique way for an author.

i'm excited even though the prospect of Wallace on screen has such a feeling of stinging irony to it. Wallace was notoriously uncomfortable in front of a camera and his writing on cameras, film, and television seems to exemplify this tension.

regardless, i'm curious to see how Mr. Segal is approaching this role so here is a wonderful interview with him exploring just that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xslLdC3hPjo

i love that he mentions the video phone part in infinite jest, as i absolutely loved that and tried in futility to explain this to all of my friends when i read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
rip dead bandanna man

i have never read your book but i looked it up on wikipedia and it doesnt make a bit of god drat sense

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

he's not a bad actor but dfw's family/friends didn't want a movie made so that's lovely i guess

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
sounds like a pos. peace out

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Planarch posted:

he's not a bad actor but dfw's family/friends didn't want a movie made so that's lovely i guess

hitlers surviving relatives didnt want a movie made about him either, so :shrug:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Planarch posted:

yeah...

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

hitlers surviving relatives didnt want a movie made about him either, so :shrug:

a good point, and one i had not considered

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

yeah...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
isn't Jason Segal just an alias for Jason Bateman?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

isn't Jason Segal just an alias for Jason Bateman?

get that bologna on white bread outta here

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

the interview with Segal talking about Wallace is making me feel better about the film than i did when i first saw the trailer :gbsmith:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
jason, what did you think of infinite jest the first time you read it?

"i thought it was gay and dumb"

cut. jason that's probably not the best way to sell this movie, let's take that again

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shiksa posted:

cut. jason that's probably not the best way to sell this movie, let's take that again

that was a thomas pynchon novel you rear end

"foster" wallace wasn't fit to lick pynchon's boots

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

shiksa posted:

i dont get this at all. maybe it just depends on the set and setting when you read it, sort of like doing really good drugs, but i was taken away on a magic carpet ride from the very first chapter

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

segal describes book clubbing with infinite jest as the coolest thing he ever did as an adult and how spot on the book predicted cultural trajectory towards today

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
i saw him on conan and they played a clip and it looks like he does a bad job and makes dfw look like an even bigger neurotic self absorbed dweeb than dfw does himself

and i say that about dfw lovingly but the performance looked bad

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

mdm posted:

i saw him on conan and they played a clip and it looks like he does a bad job and makes dfw look like an even bigger neurotic self absorbed dweeb than dfw does himself

and i say that about dfw lovingly but the performance looked bad

that's hard to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkxUY0kxH80

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i read that david foster wallace had that napkin on his head to mop up his drool, because he was retarded. is that true?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

seriously and then in the clip segal says "man" like a stereotypical stoner and it was just painful to watch

the movie is getting good reviews though I guess so maybe it isn't bad?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Orkin Mang posted:

i read that david foster wallace had that napkin on his head to mop up his drool, because he was retarded. is that true?

it was to mop up the cum from all the liberal arts poseurs jacking off to his books

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i struggle really bad wit this neurosis about my words expressing exactly what i mean even though i always knows that's impossible and i have severe anxiety disorder and i drug myself a lot to combat it and watching/reading DFW makes me feel so much better and less lonely :sigh:

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i struggle really bad wit this neurosis about my words expressing exactly what i mean even though i always knows that's impossible and i have severe anxiety disorder and i drug myself a lot to combat it and watching DFW makes me feel so much better and less lonely :sigh:

centuries ago you'd have died in childhood and the world would have been better off for it :)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Horniest Manticore posted:

it was to mop up the cum from all the liberal arts poseurs jacking off to his books

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im probably never going to read a dfw book in my life. he sounds like a fag who tries too hard. so why would i see a movie about him? it makes no sense.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

centuries ago you'd have died in childhood and the world would have been better off for it :)

i could still kick your rear end tho :shrug:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

im probably never going to read a dfw book in my life. he sounds like a fag who tries too hard. so why would i see a movie about him? it makes no sense.

oh word?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

i could still kick your rear end tho :shrug:

how long did it take you to type that? "eh! eh! my anxiety! people are constantly judging me! help me, footnote man! make me feel less gay!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Orkin Mang posted:

imagine a guy who tries all his life to be the new thomas pynchon, but fails because the real thomas pynchon won't let him

that's dallas fort wallace

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

i like DFW but refuse to admit it to most people because he's so popular with the "bros who read" crowd

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i only read explicitly marxist writers

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

TEAYCHES posted:

what about gay writers? lotsa those

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Oh Hell No posted:

i like DFW but refuse to admit it to most people because he's so popular with the "bros who read" crowd

this is problematic

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i met someone who was a dfw fan. they told me to read something he wrote about lobsters. it sounded like total poo poo to me and i never read it. im never going to see this movie.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

what about gay writers? lotsa those

well i only read trotskyists, synonymous with gay

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

you could claim that Jesus Christ read Marx in the sense that zizek says something something something

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

you could claim that Jesus Christ read Marx in the sense that zizek says and so on and so on *snort*

ftfy

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They should just stop the movie all the goddamn time so you can read some overdone footnote in the back on the bottom of the screen.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

They should just stop the movie all the goddamn time so you can read some overdone footnote in the back on the bottom of the screen.

or have some hipster rear end in a top hat stand up and give his tedious running commentary at the same time the film's running. a better approximation of reading bananas foster wallace, imo

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
whats everyones favorite dfw footnote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
was david wallace a communist

• Locked thread