Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Val Helmethead posted:

Just stop and think for a moment. Ohio had 7 presidents and the best one was William Howard "So-Fat-He-Got -Literally-Stuck-In-A-Bathtub" Taft.

Ohio is its own punchline when it comes to presidents. Obama isn't insulting them, he is giving them a mercy killing.

TBF it was a really narrow bathtub and by the standards of today he'd only be sort of porky.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

wanna make her my common law wife and film her lifestyle

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Presidential At Every Size

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I have to laugh at anyone bitching about this. If they wanted him to maintain the status quo they should have created a We The People petition asking for it to be changed thereby guaranteeing he wouldn't do poo poo with it.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

LegoPirateNinja posted:

wanna make her my common law wife and film her lifestyle

That's a dude.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

That's a dude.

whats his name?

AlwaysBeSithing
Aug 27, 2015

by Ralp

Hopper posted:

That article had a purpose, and you guys fell for it instantly. He only renamed the mountain to rouse anger in order to make you forget that he does a tour around Alaska warning about climate change and global warning and at the same time gives out drilling permits in Alaska to Shell.

A name is just a name. And can be changed again or you can call it what you will. But a possible oilspill in Alaksa, oh boy. And no one will care bcause so few people live there and it is far away from cosy mainland USA, plus MAH MOUNTAIN NAME!

if theres gonna be an oil spill I'd rather have it hundreds of miles away from where anyone of importance lives. Its a win win

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

dad gay. so what posted:

whats his name?

Bob.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
literally nobody in alaska called it mckinley and the only reason it wasnt officially denali sooner was because of some limpdick ohioans that havent summited anything higher than a speed bump

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

AlwaysBeSithing posted:

if theres gonna be an oil spill I'd rather have it hundreds of miles away from where anyone of importance lives. Its a win win

It took about 20 years for the exxon oil spill lawsuit to get settled, Alaska got 500 million dollars, their CEO retired and got 400 million dollars with their golden parachute and Exxon's net profits were 83 billion dollars, so we got about three days worth of their profits that year. When I was a kid people would get buckets of clams and tubs of shrimp. You'd give out some of your bounty to your neighbors and when they got something they'd share it with you, that became a lot harder to do after the spill and the local economy, which was based on fish prices never quite recovered either. I think it's pretty neat how the media barely covered the deep horizon gulf spill and nobody is talking about the long term effects. Incidentally a law has been passed severely limiting how much you can sue oil companies for when it comes to spills, I think it's down to 150 million or so.

dad gay. so what posted:

whats his name?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Hopper posted:

I didn't say you don't I just said this is a distraction and every body is falling for it.
Plus it is highly questionable whether drilling should take place in such a fragile ecosystem.
But I won't go into a debate about that. You people have the cheapest gas prices anyway and it would be easy to double car mileage with more efficient and less brag-about my bhp technology.
But your president would rather risk killing of a precious ecosystem than to go the other route and people seem to agree with him.

lol

The president should kill off your precious SA posts. For the good of mankind.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

zakharov posted:

It's some for some Ohio schadenfreude

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...0b07ce3e98c3591

gently caress Ohio

:lol: "debating the name for years" As in 40 years? That's a lot of debate!

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
This decision is so bad that Sherman will retroactively join the Confederacy and lead the south to victory.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

T___A posted:

This decision is so bad that Sherman will retroactively join the Confederacy and lead the south to victory.

I don't think anyone wants his glacier renamed though. :confused:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

rename ohio to mckinleystan if they like that dude so much

edit: also rename texas to the great poo poo wastes

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

McKinley's greatest contribution was getting snuffed so Teddy Roosevelt could waltz right on into the office the party had been trying to cockblock him from.

They should carve TR's face into Denali as a further insult to Ohio.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
anything that angers assholes in that dumb lovely state is both cool and good IMHO

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Lord of Pie posted:

McKinley's greatest contribution was getting snuffed so Teddy Roosevelt could waltz right on into the office the party had been trying to cockblock him from.

They should carve TR's face into Denali as a further insult to Ohio.

I bet he commissioned the geological/cartographic survey that confirmed Denali is the largest mountain on the continent. Also, there were the wars of aggression he did. Those were substantial.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
This is p good anything that pisses dumbasses off is good for me.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Runaktla posted:

This is p good anything that pisses dumbasses off is good for me.

The folks getting most pissed off are those upset that it really isn't pissing many of the trolls targets off.

lol that obama's fans think this actually pisses people off. It's pretty much just a "oh look, the troll is trying to troll again".

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Applewhite posted:

So presidents can just change the name of national landmarks whenever they please or how does this work?

Basically yes?
Department of Interior controls landmarks and it's under the President.

Watch for the next Ohio President to rename it again out of spite.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Fog Tripper posted:

The folks getting most pissed off are those upset that it really isn't pissing many of the trolls targets off.

lol that obama's fans think this actually pisses people off. It's pretty much just a "oh look, the troll is trying to troll again".

I'm not mad! I"M NOT MAD!!!

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

So presidents can just change the name of national landmarks whenever they please or how does this work?

Obama needs to rename Mt. Rushmore Mt. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Aug 4, 2010

what the hell, you cant just rename something who does this obama think he is

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Nice try Obama, but you can't troll me. *puts the finishing touches on his "Obama in a Noose" photoshop*

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Obama should add his face to mt rushmore and then name it mt obama

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Fog Tripper posted:

Grrr bad libtard president is bad... oh you think you're clever? No! We don't care.

Emanuel Collective posted:

Nice try Obama, but you can't troll me. *puts the finishing touches on his "Obama in a Noose" photoshop*
^^^^

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Grew up in Alaska and legitimately didn't know it wasn't Denali until I was a teenager. Lol that a bunch of limp--dicked assholes from Ohio think we give a poo poo about their lovely president.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol conservatards wetting and making GBS threads themselves over Obammy's master trolls

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Cancel Ohio's retroactive statehood so everybody knows they only became a state six years before Alaska because Ohioans are dumb.

Then erase McKinley from history, since a citizen of a territory isn't eligible to be president.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
denali just means "heap big mountain" so this was a pretty basic move

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

So does this mean that if Trump becomes president he can rename every American landmark after himself?

The Trump Memorial
Mt Trumpmore
Etc.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
mt. mckinley is a much cooler name so i will call it that still to troll the igloo people anyway

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

jiharlequinade posted:

it almost seems like Ohioans are suffering under some kind of delusion that anyone else in the US gives a gently caress about Ohio or President McKinley

Ohio is so unremarkable that you have to be shot in order to get famous.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
remember 1776?

the new version of that, the most rebellious thing an american will do in his modern life is go 'i am still calling it MOUNT MCKINLEY IN PROTEST!!'

fast food and legal drug addiction tactic has won, rip american dream

time to go see which celebrity died in size 72 font on cnn dot com to be reminded of death daily and feel the need for a comforting cheeseburger and zoloft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

facebook jihad posted:

mt. mckinley is a much cooler name so i will call it that still to troll the igloo people anyway

make way for the badass over here

• Locked thread