Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Kittens!

First Dog!

More Kittens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

You realise it's been spring for 4 weeks now right? Or your Canadian sensibilities are too precious for Australia.

Wasn't it September 1st instead of the spring equinox on I want to say the 22nd but it might be the 23rd this year I can't remember. Spring definitely doesn't start in August though, according to either the Australian calendar or science.

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011

HookShot posted:

It's not loving spring yet, I can't believe Australia decided "oh no people are too dumb to have the seasons change when they actually change, we'll just move them to the beginning of the month instead and tell people Sept 1 is the first day of spring when it's really three weeks later"

I only found out last year that other countries don't celebrate change of seasons on the first of the month. I've never seen the problem; of course the seasons don't actually change on the first of the month, I've never seen them change on the same date every season, it's just easier to pin the official start to the first of the month.

Besides, it's been warm where I am.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Meanwhile, in Canberra...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9nD-DICyU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I heard part of his interview. Never really heard much of this man outside of soundbites. God he has awful interview skills.

HookShot posted:

Wasn't it September 1st instead of the spring equinox on I want to say the 22nd but it might be the 23rd this year I can't remember. Spring definitely doesn't start in August though, according to either the Australian calendar or science.

I was wondering when the Hookshot Cananananananananda experience was coming back :v:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

HookShot posted:

I just meant it's been mid 20's and sunny for weeks where I am now and seasons don't mean poo poo. poo poo 'wattle day' is the first of August because it's when wattle is meant to be out in full force and the bloom was almost over by then this year.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
In proper auspoo stuff

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Pretty telling if even The Australian newspaper media was initially snubbed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

First Dong!

:nws:

http://i.imgur.com/XuowMAy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BX9Vvju.jpg

:nws:

I've been away for a week because my old computer finally gave up the ghost and I had to build a new one. Which sucked and was expensive.

But now I'm using Windows 10 and I have to say, goddamn does the new spartan colour scheme suck. It's whiter than Tony Abbott's dreams for Australia.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 2, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I can't believe "partisan" isn't in the word cloud. I'll have to try harder next time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
hey, weird, it's almost as if a politician has no power over the media if they don't give a poo poo about access journalism.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Amethyst posted:

I can't believe "partisan" isn't in the word cloud. I'll have to try harder next time.

It was ranked very highly for the month - about the same score as "bias" and "border". Sometimes words aren't included even though they rank highly because the don't fit.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

HookShot posted:

It's not loving spring yet, I can't believe Australia decided "oh no people are too dumb to have the seasons change when they actually change, we'll just move them to the beginning of the month instead and tell people Sept 1 is the first day of spring when it's really three weeks later"

Neither would really work in places that have distinct season though. In my experience in Adelaide and Melbourne winter and summer both last like 4-5 months and the transition seasons are pretty short.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HookShot posted:

Wednesday, 23 September 2015 at 6:22 PM, AEST!

Anyone who doesn't spend that night dancing around a bonfire -or interesting looking large rock- naked, drinking the cheapest wine available is un-australian.

Praise Eostre the rad!

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 2, 2015

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Is the blue body paint and antlers still compulsory or can I go casual

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Meteorological seasons begin on the 1st of December/March/June/September in all countries. Astronomical seasons begin on the 20th of December/March/June/September in all countries.

So in one sense we're all correct, but in another (better) sense Australia is correct, because any child can tell you what the most obvious difference between summer and winter is and it's not the time the loving sun goes down.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Australia doesn't have a spring though. Autumn lasts one week as well.

"OK leaves are shed, pack it up, it's winter*."

*"winter" does not occur in 4/8 states and territories. Seriously, Western Australians consider 25 degrees to be "cold"

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 2, 2015

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

For all the arguments you can make about the temperature barely changing, you can say the same for the fact that the difference between winter and summer sunsets barely changes.

When I was living in London and putting up with a constant smarmy barrage of "hehe COLD ENOUGH FOR YA" from friends and family back home, it was difficult to explain to them that it wasn't so much the cold sapping my will to live - it was the dark. The horrible dark. The torpid days where the sun skulks along the horizon for a few hours and then goes back down.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Preggers french girl was marketing stunt hoax

Water wet

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lid posted:

Preggers french girl was marketing stunt hoax

Water wet

Marketing for getting pregnant?

drat youth of today, won't even get pregnant unless an ad tells them to. Back in my day people drat well knew how to get pregnant as a teenage without being told to by some drat advertising suits.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kat Delacour posted:

Is the blue body paint and antlers still compulsory or can I go casual

Go with what ever your heart tells you to! Although sandals can be good if you think they're may be glass about.

Safety first!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Birb Katter posted:

In proper auspoo stuff

That is a very telling article, and not in the least surprising. I was wondering if anything like this were going on whilst all those photos were popping up in news articles.

I'm sure it's safe to assume it's the same just about everywhere he goes?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Auspol September: A Handmate's tale.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dr_rat posted:

Marketing for getting pregnant?

drat youth of today, won't even get pregnant unless an ad tells them to. Back in my day people drat well knew how to get pregnant as a teenage without being told to by some drat advertising suits.

"Come to the Gold Coast, Get Knocked Up"

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

Atm the polls say 50/50 but some preference whisperer bullshit will probably happen.

David, have you done any polls in Canning lately, what's the word?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Australia doesn't have a spring though. Autumn lasts one week as well.

"OK leaves are shed, pack it up, it's winter*."

*"winter" does not occur in 4/8 states and territories. Seriously, Western Australians consider 25 degrees to be "cold"

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_009225.shtml

you have to so you acclimatise to 40° highs.

30°C in the UK and nannas die. That's half the year in the south west.

oh balls it's like humans adapt to their surroundings.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You Am I posted:

"Come to the Gold Coast, Get Knocked Up"

"The Gold Coast - The only fucks given are by horny backpackers!"

Too classy?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Birb Katter posted:

In proper auspoo stuff

"Don't take any pictures of the Prime Minister eating"

hahaha

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Kommando posted:

David, have you done any polls in Canning lately, what's the word?

quote:

An Essential Research poll, commissioned by advocacy group GetUp, has the coalition leading Labor 51-49 per cent after preferences.

First preference support for the Liberals is down 15 points from the federal election two years ago to 36 per cent, backing for Labor is up five points to 31 per cent while 15 per cent of voters are undecided two weeks out from polling day.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

In proper auspoo stuff

constant supervision.

starkebn posted:

"Don't take any pictures of the Prime Minister eating"

hahaha
he does have a tendency to put strange things in his mouth.

"Abbott might eat another onion, don't let anyone photograph that."

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 3, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Australia's top CEOs earn 72% more than declared, research shows

Stock options among factors that took incomes of ASX100’s 10 highest paid chief executives to a cumulative $171.4m in 2014, against the $99.6m reported

The rules governing Australia’s biggest companies may only reveal “the tip of the iceberg” when it comes to senior executive pay in Australia.

The collective pay packet of the ASX100’s 10 highest paid chief executives was more than 70% larger than the pay declared in their companies’ 2014 financial reports, the Australian Council of Superannuation Investors says.

Shares awarded in previous years under long-term incentive plans, and chief executives exercising rights to shares as performance hurdles are met, are among the factors that took income to a cumulative $171.4m, 72% more than the $99.6m in reported earnings.

Chris Rex, who leads Ramsay Health Care, tops ACSI’s top 10, with his $9.1m reported income leaping to $30.8m when all other share-based considerations are included.

Peter and Steven Lowy of Westfield are in second place, although more than 90% of their $24.4m total was reported in the company’s annual report.

Some chief executive pay had also been overstated by conventional reporting, owing to companies failing to meet performance targets that allow equity awards to vest.

ACSI said the average cash bonus in the ASX100 in 2014 was up more than 10% to $1.35m, and average realised pay of $5.63m was up from $5.01m a year earlier.

ACSI’s chief executive, Louise Davidson, said there was nothing untoward about the way in which earnings are declared but shareholders might welcome another way of judging whether rewards are excessive compared with the return on their investments.

“Statutory reporting is, perhaps, disclosing only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the wealth accruing to senior executives,” Davidson said.

“While the packaging and disclosure of CEO pay has undoubtedly become more disciplined in recent years, thanks to legislation like two strikes and termination pay as well as challenging scrutiny from ACSI and others, company investors and owners cannot afford to lose sight of the quantum of reward being delivered.”

Top 10
1. Chris Rex, Ramsay Health Care, $30.8m v $9.1m

2. Peter and Steven Lowy, Westfield, $24.4m v $22.1m

3. Louis Gries, James Hardie, $20.8m v $12.6m

4, Andrew Bassat, Seek, $17.9m v $4.2m

5. Andrew Mackenzie, BHP, $15.6m v $7.8m

6. Colin Goldschmidt, Sonic Healthcare, $13.4m v $3.8m

7. Gail Kelly, Westpac, $12.9m v $11m

8. Ken MacKenzie, Amcor, $12.7m v $8.4m

9. Mike Wilkins, IAG, $11.5m v $7.5m

10. Nicholas Moore, Macquarie Group, $11.4 m v $13.1m

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/sep/03/australias-top-ceos-earn-72-more-than-declared-research-shows

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Macquarie group over reporting the CEO's income?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

-----------------

Millionaire's wife jailed for Centrelink fraud

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/29415107/millionaires-wife-jailed-for-centrelink-fraud/

quote:

The wife of a millionaire resources boss has been jailed for nine months after admitting claiming tens of thousands of dollars in Centrelink payments while he was earning up to $1.8 million a year during the mining boom.Julie Bohannan married the former chief executive of Bathurst Resources Hamish Bohannan in 2006, the year after he had made just over $1.8 million in taxable income.
But the Perth District Court was told that for years afterwards she claimed benefit payments under another name, consistently lying to Centrelink about where she was living, to whom she was married and what they were worth.

More than $65,000 was fraudulently claimed over eight years, until a tip off led to Centrelink investigation.
Mrs Bohannan also avoided Centrelink appointments while she was pregnant, and deliberately lied about property ownership and her marriage.

Her lawyers had asked Perth District Court for a merciful sentence, pointing out the debt had been paid more than four years before she was charged with the offences - and outlining her eldest daughter's severe intellectual disability.

But Judge Andrew Stavrianou said the frauds were planned and deliberate, and therefore an immediate prison term was required to punish and send a message to the community.
"You were not forthright, you were not truthful and you were deceitful," Judge Stavrianou said.
The court was told Mrs Bohannan claimed more than $65,000 in fraudulent payments up until 2009, despite her husband earning nearly $3.8 million in the preceding five years — a fraud Commonwealth prosecutors said was motivated by “greed not need”.

Prosecutor Sarah Oliver said Mrs Bohannan had begun falsely claiming before she had met Mr Bohannan. In 2004, when they moved in together to his luxury 20ha home, she continued to tell Centrelink she was a single mother, living with her parents with no other source of income.
This included falsifying forms and avoiding Centrelink appointments after she became pregnant again. After some payments were stopped, Mrs Bohannan began claiming family tax benefit for her new daughter Ella, despite her husband’s six-figure salary.

“This was motivated by greed, not need — this is a sustained, deliberate fraud motivated by greed with a high level of deception,” Ms Oliver said.
Defence lawyer David Edwardson pleaded with Judge Andrew Stavrianou to impose a “merciful” sentence on the 42-year-old, describing how she had suffered a chronic depressive illness having cared for her severely disabled daughter for many years.

Mr Edwardson said Mrs Bohannan’s first daughter Georgia was born with severe epilepsy, which at first was thought to have been caused by tuberous sclerosis, a rare multi-system genetic disease that causes benign tumours to grow in the brain and on other vital organs.
Now aged 17, she still needs constant care.
Mrs Bohannan's family was in court to hear the sentence.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 3, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think my outrage is somewhat eclipsed by my confusion at why someone would subject themselves to dealing with centrelink for what amounts to pocket money compared to their family's existing income. Maybe the husband was abusive by means of financial control?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Halo14 posted:

But Judge Andrew Stavrianou said the frauds were planned and deliberate, and therefore an immediate prison term was required to punish and send a message to the community.

Good thing that menace is off the streets and we can feel safe again.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dear future OPs please include the Loon Pond in your lists of resources. They most definitely have a lefty bias but their value consists in good clear resources for their pieces, often making useful pictures of political history for backup. Such as today's piece which includes a very entertaining Nikki Savva column (as well as a handy chart for understanding Liberal political policy).

Just one gem in the column: they tried to organize a fundraiser in Perth to get at least 10 people paying 20k to meet Tony Abbott. They got 4 possibles but 2 didn't want to front up. So in desperation they were offered half the cost which pissed off the other two who had already paid in full and wanted the same discount. So it's not just the Victorian and Qld branches that are hopeless.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

open24hours posted:

Good thing that menace is off the streets and we can feel safe again.

What in your opinion is the correct sentence for this? Right or wrong, our justice system is based around punishment and deterrent rather than rehabilitation. What deterrent would you suggest is effective in this case? A small fine?

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 3, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Probably to pay back the money plus any administrative costs and legal fees and a fine. It depends on her reasons for doing it I guess. Prison should only be for people who are an actual threat to public safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

• Locked thread