Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Negligent posted:

How can a Prime Minister be judged to have governed competently when his or her Party colleagues thought he or she should be replaced, and actually did replace him or her? History will quite rightly judge Labor for Rudd/Gillard/Rudd harshly.

What you can argue as an alternative is that despite the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd flip flops, the Labor party in general and Rudd/Gillard in particular, were able to govern competently, given the metrics used. There was no doubt that the Labor party royally screwed up anything to do with public relations, but there is very little doubt that they managed to achieve quite a lot until they went down in flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Negligent posted:

See the article didn't actually define the criteria for saying "this is the worst government". The implication I take from the list of examples is that a government that gets its key legislative priorities enacted is a " good " one regardless of what those policies are - he says even if you hate the policies a government can still be effective.

By that measure Abbott has been successful. He campaigned on "stop the boats" and "axe the tax" and both things happened. He has successfully built a legal framework for quasi military 'operational' secrecy, continued and expanded offshore detention, while attacking, dismantling and blocking any attempts to deal with the environment or climate change.

He hasn't managed to destroy the poor through IR or welfare austerity but he never said he would. Work choices is dead etc.

What I'm saying is it's a dumb article not that Abbott is a good PM leading a good government btw.

I don't think you can make the "did stuff" = "good government" equivalency. Sure, the LNP did what they promised to do, sort of, but that doesn't make what they did any good. Of course, there are all the things they said they'd do and didn't, along with all the things they never said anything about and did anyway. On all of those measures it's been a crappy two years and I'm surprised we've come out of it as well as we hav.e

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Knorth posted:

Holy poo poo, an actual empathetic human response out of this government, it's been so long...

Jesus loving christ

In the context of "Muslim extremists are coming for them. If they're prepared to kill Muslim civilians, what more against professed Christian civilians?"

In isolation it's not the best argument, better to argue "most needy first" and see where religious persecution puts them.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

katlington posted:

That's what they are of course, they've even taken somebody elses spot in our quota. :xcom:

Looks like it was only a two-flag worthy announcement, too. Budget cutbacks already?

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

freebooter posted:

I don't know what's more annoying - people who whinge about changing PMs without consulting the electorate, or people who whinge about people who don't realise this is perfectly legitimate without stopping to consider whether it should, in fact, be legitimate

What they should think about getting pissed about is when a PM is rolled, how often they then chuck a hissy fit and quit parliament, thus technically screwing over the electorate who voted for them in the first place. Rudd/Gillard would have to be one of the last ones I can recall that didn't quit, and look how that turned out!

• Locked thread