Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

tithin posted:

I saw him too, right up until I heckled him and he called me an idiot.

He seemed to be on point.

I've got to know what you said now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The coverage of the refugees in Austria has been amazing. You can really see the differences between different channels and their agendas. They even slip up and call them refugees rather than asylum seekers sometimes!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Digiwizzard posted:

This seems like a bizarre semantic twist. It's very hard to reinterpret asylum seekers into "they're just seeking asylum.. for fun?!" whereas refugee is not only easier to redefine but is already being turned derogatory in the form of the dimunitive "Fugee".

I've never heard that term outside of the late nineties band.

The term refugee implies they're proper refugees, with protected status, and hence we should help them. "Asylum seekers" says :siren: these browns might not be proper refugees :siren: They stopped using "boat people" because they didn't want us to think of them as people either.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So is 'fugees more of an American thing?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Like how else does that phone coversation go outside of "You want me to build a cage for a child?"

"Sure, no problem, I'll build the cage for you."

A few moments later...

"Hang on, you didn't tell us the kid would be white!"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

When was the pool fencing laws introduced? Looking at some of the Royal Life Saving reports - http://www.royallifesaving.com.au/facts-and-figures/research-and-reports/drowning-reports, drownings in general are down.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

jfc

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

The argument isn't that you shouldn't have a fence, it's that if you don't have kids should you still be required to have one?

Is the assumption then that people who don't have children therefore hate children and would never have neices/nephews/cousins/whatever over to have a swim?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anyway, anyone who uses the phrase "nanny state" un-ironically should be run over while jaywalking by an unlicensed driver in an unregistered stolen car running a red light.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm just asking questions man.

Nah I've got nothing, the thread loses it poo poo over bike helmets. I was tempted to see what you could get with pool fences, but my heart's not really in it.

:hfive:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

The smiles evaporating off their faces is gold.

Wait, there's video? Where?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cheers for the vids, the Curb Your Enthusiasm one was amazing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Peter Dutton and Tony Abbott once again prove stupider than the root vegetables they resemble/consume respectively

Unfortunately it's not quite a slam dunk. Dutton could spin it as talking about those waterfront hotels/houses, etc rather than about climate change.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Raged posted:

I will cry, then laugh for days if Abbott survives this.

Best possible outcome. Only heightens the chances that this basket case government will not be returned.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

drunkill posted:

Rudd-Gillard-Rudd

ALL WITHOUT ELECTIONS!

The Gillard lead Labor party won the 2010 election :ssh:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What worries me is the amount of people on twitter saying they don't like Abbott but would vote for Turnbull :smith:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SKY COQ posted:

This is why we have wine

I drink too fast, gotta nurse this shiraz for as long as possible.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wonder if Dutton and Abbott embarrassing us to our neighbours was the straw that broke the camel's back?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Orkin Mang posted:

should i buy a bottle of wine?!?!?

Deffo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tommofork posted:

MMG I'll forgive you if you're not streaming tonight. This is too good.

If they can confirm that the vote will be at 9PM Eastern I could fit an hour in :yayclod:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

Pledging to spend a billion dollars on a road in Adelaide

Meanwhile the train lines remain un-electrified :argh:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Count down to the vote at 9EST with some :bloodborne: http://www.twitch.tv/semirusa

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My avatar noooooo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

YES YES YES :getin:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

WE ARE NOT THE LABOR PARTY

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

prefect posted:

Do you guys make concession speeches for this kind of event?

You betcha. Should be entertaining.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

meanwhile, in bill shorten's office

*sounds of faint sobbing*
Tony, Tony, we could've been so good together

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"As communications minister I found that our NBN was flawed, and will be promising highest possible speed broadband at the next election"

*thousands of self-interested software engineers vote Lib*

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

the informal vote was probably wyatt roy, not being old enough to know how voting works in practice

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bowmore posted:

now Short Bill has to do some actual work

*Bill Shorten rummages through a chest with "Pol-o-cees" scrawled on it in crayon*

"Gay marriage? That won't fly with the base."

"Stop locking up children? Nah, not the right colour..."

"Ah, here we go!" *holds up a fighter jet labelled "double bomb Syria"*

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Systematic posted:

#putoutyouronions

What's double bombing?

Whatever the Libs would've done, but double! :downs:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Truly a momentous night.

... I just effort posted on Facebook.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

oh my word

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:laffo:

Facebook posted:

Are you loving kidding me Turnbuckle is a Labor man through and through he was standing for a labor seat and was rejected we are all hosed

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wonderfully prescient

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bell jar posted:

[nws]http://i.imgur.com/yfd9ye9.jpg[/nws]

Holy gently caress!

...it's bell jar!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Let's go November election so there can be three PMs during my wife's pregnancy.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Negligent posted:

Abbott stares wistfully out at the ocean. The horizon is blissfully unblighted by the silhouettes of boats. He softly whispers to himself, 'LABOR WASTE.'

HookShot posted:

I think my favourite part of the last 24 hours apart that wasn't directly related to any of the politicians (Abbott's speech, him running away, smugface) was the ABC having a pre-recorded 5 minute political obituary ready for Abbott that they aired like five minutes after it came out Turnbull was challenging.

Considering Abbott was nearly ousted in February they probably put the majority of it together back then.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Dude McAwesome posted:

do any of you helpful folks have any resources for debunking that bullshit "refugees in australia earn more than pensioners" meme getting around?

My Aunty posted it last week so I replied with this link: http://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/fact-sheets/myths-about-refugees/hoax-emails/

She actually said thanks and didn't realise it was fake. It was upside down, bizarro-land day on FB.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CrazyTolradi posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-24/senate-inquiry-no-direct-link-between-halal-certification/6801968

When two government agencies report they can find no evidence at all to link halal certification payments and funding to terrorist groups, Bernardi asks them if they were even looking. What a loving turd.

"NO! I abused my privileges to set up this investigation to justify my racist paranoia! NOW GET JUSTIFYING!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Memento posted:

That thread page got a little bit confusing there.

I'm the handsome one.

Blame whoever went av crazy during the spill. Hopefully I should have a new av by Sunday :)

Halo14 posted:

I'm having trouble here parsing this info. WTF is gamergate and why is my comedy forums so slow?

Gamergate/reddit members think we're all a bunch of secret SJWs plotting to take them down (probably because SA has reported horrible subreddits to the authorities in the past) they somehow think archiving all the SA content will prove this somehow, and then Debbie will really go out with me this time, I swear!

• Locked thread