Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Because you're afraid that if you get inside a villain's head you'll start thinking like them for real and won't be able to turn back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
dude all the loving time! lol haha, you read me like a book. (word humor)

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's why I don't write sane characters.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
no applewhite, because I'm not an idiot

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
No? No, I am not worried that if I come to understand an evil person I will become evil, like it's a zombie virus or something. I think you'll be okay.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
no but i once had an idea about a story about an author that wrote some trite lovecraftian garbage who later ended up murdering his wife because the fiction unearthed some eldritch horrors in his brain, maaaaaaan

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

epoch. posted:

no but i once had an idea about a story about an author that wrote some trite lovecraftian garbage who later ended up murdering his wife because the fiction unearthed some eldritch horrors in his brain, maaaaaaan

I think I saw a Johnny Depp movie like that once

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
You did. Secret Window.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

quote:

There have been 10353 posts made by Applewhite, an average of 27.23 posts per day, since registering on Aug 16, 2014.
If you want to be less dumb stop posting in GBS.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

no applewhite, because I'm not an idiot

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

If you want to be less dumb stop posting in GBS.

Wow what the hell? Geez. Who pissed in you guys's cereal?

I only asked because I take a sort of "method" approach to writing where I really try to get into the head of my characters and see things from their perspective when I'm writing their actions/dialogue and I get really uncomfortable writing really dark stuff because I normally prefer not to dwell on that kind of think and I thought "haha, imagine if you could get stuck that way I wonder if anyone else has thought the same thing."

I wasn't expecting the "GBS Treatment" down here in Creative Convention, a place for authors and artists to support one another.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

When I write villains, I write them with an eye towards a materialist conception of history. That is: I work to understand or create (in the case of speculative fiction) the material conditions that lead them to their actions. Someone is a crime lord because they grew up in poverty and other avenues of accruing social status were shut to them; someone is an ultranationalist because of the fragile state of the economy and the need to find a tangible subject to channel their anger at; etc. Understanding them in terms of material conditions allows you to understand the ideological justifications they give in terms of what underlies that ideology, rather than in terms of the ideology itself, which is where the spider's web lies. It's easy to read the manifesto of dudes like Kaczynski and finding yourself nodding your head along, because Kaczynski addresses what something "appears to be" (the ruination of nature and the isolation of human society by technology, etc.) - what we see it as - rather than the actual cause, or "essence," of what is going on (the capitalist mode of production). Understanding the actual "essence" of something allows you to cautiously avoid being sucked into the rhetoric of appearances.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Vermain posted:

When I write villains, I write them with an eye towards a materialist conception of history. That is: I work to understand or create (in the case of speculative fiction) the material conditions that lead them to their actions. Someone is a crime lord because they grew up in poverty and other avenues of accruing social status were shut to them; someone is an ultranationalist because of the fragile state of the economy and the need to find a tangible subject to channel their anger at; etc. Understanding them in terms of material conditions allows you to understand the ideological justifications they give in terms of what underlies that ideology, rather than in terms of the ideology itself, which is where the spider's web lies. It's easy to read the manifesto of dudes like Kaczynski and finding yourself nodding your head along, because Kaczynski addresses what something "appears to be" (the ruination of nature and the isolation of human society by technology, etc.) - what we see it as - rather than the actual cause, or "essence," of what is going on (the capitalist mode of production). Understanding the actual "essence" of something allows you to cautiously avoid being sucked into the rhetoric of appearances.

I like that. It sounds very similar to what I do, which is, rather than write "villains," I write the main characters as mutually antagonistic, but "moral" from their own perspectives (or at least capable of rationalizing their bad behavior). I try to work some of this rationalization in to the protagonist as well, having him behave in ways that might be objectionable but in the big picture he's on the side of "good."

The issue I was talking about in the OP referred specifically to characters with a sociopathic or ultra-nihilistic worldview that cannot necessarily be accounted for in rational terms.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Applewhite posted:

I like that. It sounds very similar to what I do, which is, rather than write "villains," I write the main characters as mutually antagonistic, but "moral" from their own perspectives (or at least capable of rationalizing their bad behavior). I try to work some of this rationalization in to the protagonist as well, having him behave in ways that might be objectionable but in the big picture he's on the side of "good."

The issue I was talking about in the OP referred specifically to characters with a sociopathic or ultra-nihilistic worldview that cannot necessarily be accounted for in rational terms.

I think the strongest antagonists are those which can be correctly described as "the heroes of their own stories." Villains who are evil just for the sake of it or maniacally insane tend to end up being one-dimensional plot devices and much less satisfying to me both as a reader and author. So I avoid writing them for those reasons, though not because i'm worried about becoming psychotic myself.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Applewhite posted:

Wow what the hell? Geez. Who pissed in you guys's cereal?

I only asked because I take a sort of "method" approach to writing where I really try to get into the head of my characters and see things from their perspective when I'm writing their actions/dialogue and I get really uncomfortable writing really dark stuff because I normally prefer not to dwell on that kind of think and I thought "haha, imagine if you could get stuck that way I wonder if anyone else has thought the same thing."

I wasn't expecting the "GBS Treatment" down here in Creative Convention, a place for authors and artists to support one another.

we all know who you are and it was a dumb question

welcome to creative convention

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

we all know who you are

What does that even mean?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

Because you're afraid that if you get inside a villain's head you'll start thinking like them for real and won't be able to turn back?

No.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Applewhite posted:

What does that even mean?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
:3:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
On the topic of the OP, do you feel like your writing changes who you are? Like, the creative process that goes into shaping a story also shapes you in turn? If so, what would you describe as your most transformative story?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

well I pretty much exclusively write female protagonists and i've turned out to be a trans so u might be onto something OP

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No; no; N/A.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Meis posted:

well I pretty much exclusively write female protagonists and i've turned out to be a trans so u might be onto something OP

Sup, Meis! We haven't chatted in a while! I hope you're well.

Do you find that you prefer to write female protagonists because they are easier for you to sympathize with or because you feel that females are generally more emotive? Or some other reason?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

serious post: writing / RPing as girls did help me come to terms with my gender identity, but me doing so was a symptom, not the cause. I usually play as elves in games but i dont think im an elf irl.

also, like, literally millions of people have written about evil or insane characters without turning evil irl. Or even more realistic things like writing a gay protagonist not turning the author gay or whatever.

You can see why people think your question is stupid, surely? it's a stupid question. sorry.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

No; no; N/A.

I'm surprised you think that way. I would have thought most authors would consider themselves to be themselves changed by the creative act of writing. Why do you feel like your work does not affect you?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Sup, Meis! We haven't chatted in a while! I hope you're well.

Do you find that you prefer to write female protagonists because they are easier for you to sympathize with or because you feel that females are generally more emotive? Or some other reason?

oh hey didn't see this. Back when I was still coming to terms with things, writing girl characters allowed me to express myself in ways I couldn't in my regular life, but that's just me. Without getting too personal, the reasoning was basically like- in reality i was forced to assume a male role against my will, and I'd be damned if I'd do that in fantasy situations. Nowdays I write female characters because I'm a great honking misandrist.

ANYWAYS point I'm trying to make is- the creative act of writing was not the CAUSE of changes in my personality, however it was a reflection of changes that were already happening. So the answer to the OP question is "no".

edit: I'd like to add that the idea of female characters being more "emotive" than males is bullshit. Look up the phrase 'toxic masculinity'

Meis fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 1, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Meis posted:

serious post: writing / RPing as girls did help me come to terms with my gender identity, but me doing so was a symptom, not the cause. I usually play as elves in games but i dont think im an elf irl.

also, like, literally millions of people have written about evil or insane characters without turning evil irl. Or even more realistic things like writing a gay protagonist not turning the author gay or whatever.

You can see why people think your question is stupid, surely? it's a stupid question. sorry.

I don't know if it's fair to dismiss my question out of hand.
Obviously I don't mean that the first time a person writes an evil character the evil thoughts will take over their brain or possess them or something, but thinking about and dwelling on dark things affects you. If a person spends years writing evil characters doing evil deeds, I find it difficult to believe it would not shape their outlook somewhat. It's not unheard of for an author to spiral down into depression or obsessive behavior as time goes on. I think the subject of an author's work creates a feedback loop that can reinforce certain thoughts or attitudes which may be harmful in the long run.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

i think youre getting cause and effect mixed up. I said it like twice already. To use ur example, if someone spirals into depression and is writing evil characters a lot, they're probably writing that way BECAUSE of how they feel.

Look at someone like Jhonen Vasquez and his work, for example.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Meis posted:

edit: I'd like to add that the idea of female characters being more "emotive" than males is bullshit. Look up the phrase 'toxic masculinity'

From a sociological standpoint, men in western cultures are taught to hide their emotions, whereas women are usually not. Consciously or unconsciously, most writers from a western background will probably make their male characters less emotive than their female characters. Therefore a female character would probably offer the writer more freedom to express emotion.
I make no judgments on whether this is right or wrong but it's certainly not unrealistic.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Meis posted:

i think youre getting cause and effect mixed up. I said it like twice already. To use ur example, if someone spirals into depression and is writing evil characters a lot, they're probably writing that way BECAUSE of how they feel.

Look at someone like Jhonen Vasquez and his work, for example.

I think mood is a little easier to reinforce through behavior patterns than something like, say, sexual orientation, which is one of the examples you gave.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Applewhite posted:

I think mood is a little easier to reinforce through behavior patterns than something like, say, sexual orientation, which is one of the examples you gave.

in the post you're quoting i'm literally only talking about mood.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Meis posted:

in the post you're quoting i'm literally only talking about mood.

Well then I disagree. I think the creative work we do does affect our mood even as it is also a product of it. You might start out making a particular work to express a particular emotion, but as the work gives you catharsis, your attitude will be changed. This in turn affects your next work and so on.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
so what kind of catharsis did space tits and rear end give you

how was your life changed by drawing weird fetish "humor"

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I drew a man running and then I felt tired and sweaty so I took a two-hour long shower, after which my fingers were all prune-y so I couldn't hold anything without my fingertips feeling funny, and I believe this is a clear example of a drawing affecting the physical world that makes absolute sense. You know, from a psychological point of view.

Incidentally, maybe people wouldn't think you're posting just for the sake of it if you made a habit of editing your older posts to respond to posts you missed, instead of double and triple posting like a bandit. Hope that helps!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

I'm surprised you think that way. I would have thought most authors would consider themselves to be themselves changed by the creative act of writing. Why do you feel like your work does not affect you?

Sometimes a gay Rebulican werewolf is just a gay Republican werewolf.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

so what kind of catharsis did space tits and rear end give you

how was your life changed by drawing weird fetish "humor"

I was happy to finally bring life to a character design that had been rattling around in my head for a while, and I think it found satisfactory expression. I was able to workshop some sci fi ideas as well. "Space Tits" was more an essay in the craft of running a CYOA than what I would describe as a "serious" work. I think I also learned a lot about the kind of emotions the eroticized female form can evoke in a broad audience (as opposed to the narrow one that usually seeks out such content).

I think if I were doing the story over again, I would have made the artistic style a lot more abstract. While the "cheesecake" art was certainly entertaining in its own way, I think it was a distraction from the central themes I was trying to express.

It definitely affected my creative life a lot and I think it has improved my consciousness quite a bit when it comes to producing more generalized content and audience selection.

What about you? I'm interested in hearing how my work has changed your life.Space Tits seems to have had a great effect on you if it provokes such an emotional reaction after all this time.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I drew a man running and then I felt tired and sweaty so I took a two-hour long shower, after which my fingers were all prune-y so I couldn't hold anything without my fingertips feeling funny, and I believe this is a clear example of a drawing affecting the physical world that makes absolute sense. You know, from a psychological point of view.

Incidentally, maybe people wouldn't think you're posting just for the sake of it if you made a habit of editing your older posts to respond to posts you missed, instead of double and triple posting like a bandit. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tip. I'm sorry if I do things differently. I know CC has evolved a slightly different posting culture than GBS.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Applewhite posted:

I was happy to finally bring life to a character design that had been rattling around in my head for a while, and I think it found satisfactory expression. I was able to workshop some sci fi ideas as well. "Space Tits" was more an essay in the craft of running a CYOA than what I would describe as a "serious" work. I think I also learned a lot about the kind of emotions the eroticized female form can evoke in a broad audience (as opposed to the narrow one that usually seeks out such content).

I think if I were doing the story over again, I would have made the artistic style a lot more abstract. While the "cheesecake" art was certainly entertaining in its own way, I think it was a distraction from the central themes I was trying to express.

It definitely affected my creative life a lot and I think it has improved my consciousness quite a bit when it comes to producing more generalized content and audience selection.

What about you? I'm interested in hearing how my work has changed your life.Space Tits seems to have had a great effect on you if it provokes such an emotional reaction after all this time.

:rolleyes::fh:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Well done goonsir. Yes. "Fap" indeed. "Fap" indeed.

E: But seriously, you asked the question.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 1, 2015

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
mods please change my name to the kind of emotions the eroticized female form can evoke in a broad audience

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

mods please change my name to the kind of emotions the eroticized female form can evoke in a broad audience

What answer did you want to hear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Applewhite posted:

What answer did you want to hear?

that's exactly the answer I was expecting from you

essentially acting like your fetish art isn't just j/o material but some boundary pushing social experiment. that kind of attitude is very common around these parts and I'm getting pretty fatigued by it tbh

• Locked thread