Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Mat_Drinks posted:

I want to go on record that I support Adiabatic's EST opening of the September thread and I did the same thing with the August thread even though I live in PST so gently caress THA PO LEASE!

The only people complaining about the prestigious misc chat thread opening time are people who probably haven't contributed any actual loving content that is really car related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Noise Complaint posted:

2000-2001 had the aluminum TUPY head which is prone to cracking and will not stand up to any kind of overheating.

I believe 99+ for the GM's but someone who is more of a GM guy is going to have to answer that for sure. I just know it's a fantastic drivetrain and the trucks are pretty nice.

It's not aluminum, but it's every bit as delicate as you said. Just a lovely weak design with a thin weak spot that loves to crack.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Welp whoever put the head on this old motor stripped two of the god drat head bolts. How the gently caress do you strip a triple square?

Now I get to figure out how the gently caress to get them out.

And also what cams are in it, cause they don't have stock markings.

Any of you VW guys have random poo poo laying around? Trying to source an airbox and an alternator/ps pump bracket.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slow is Fast posted:

The only people complaining about the prestigious misc chat thread opening time are people who probably haven't contributed any actual loving content that is really car related.

hey man i swapped an engine in my car ok

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

Speaking of peeps what happened to West Saab Story: Kindle Edition?

(also I want to say I read SA before joining but I was hardcore into the Megatokyo forums before this and thought SA was for neckbearded people that blow up gamecubes and lose fingats. Yeah, much shame, to this day.)

Oh lord Megatokyo forums.

I never posted there but I used to hang out on IRC with a lot of MTF posters and ex-posters like STL and Uller. I know at least one of them posts here too.

edit: oh lord there's almost nobody in the channel any more

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 2, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sometimes I want a Honda Element.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's not an AI chat thread without a cat. A cat that needs to go on a diet. :catstare:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Chubby cats are the best cats :3:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys why is there ethereal music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0yWq7yhfk

What is going on am I having a stroke?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

She doesn't blink, it's hypnotic.......Totally would.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I guess years of having a 10Kg feral cat has changed what I think of as a cat needing to diet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

Sometimes I want a Honda Element.

This is frequently my problem.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Moog's new car has been revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN7tl7nhV0s

Comments are full of anger, though after all the hints he was dropping about RB26 and the "It was all a dream" episode where he gushed over turbo Nissans it is a pretty unexpected choice.

It's a Mini Cooper :psyduck::britain:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

RillAkBea posted:

Comments are full of anger, though after all the hints he was dropping about RB26 and the "It was all a dream" episode where he gushed over turbo Nissans it is a pretty unexpected choice.

I'm expecting a sportbike engine swap or something similar. Supergramps set the bar pretty high. If Moog is in fact trying to go the same modification route as Marty then that car is going to get it's power to weight ratio greatly massaged.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

RillAkBea posted:

Holy poo poo that thing is gorgeous. I love it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

RillAkBea posted:

I'd like Moog a lot more if he'd gain 10 or 20 pounds.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fjelltorsk posted:

I may or may not have rerouted my crew while driving back from a false alarm to go pick up my new roadbike...

i am a bad man

I may or may not have used a ladder truck drill to fix some bad flashing on my roof.

(you're all good)

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The contractor I hired to refinish the floors on the place I just bought is 10 days late and loving up my entire move in (and move out of rental schedule). I want to be done with him but it looks like I may be taking him to small claims sometime soon. Nobody wins.

OK in other news:

Was chatting with my AI as gently caress neighbor/landlord today. He DDs an MR2 Spyder and was rear ended 2-3 weeks ago. He is not necessarily a fastidious guy as his driveway is full of AW11s, Miatas, and other stuff in various states of moss growth and disassembly, so he surprised me when he said the worst thing about being rear ended was having an accident show up on Carfax, even though the car wasn't totalled. He said he was thinking of unloading the car because of it (this doesn't make sense to me, if it's on the Carfax the damage is done whether he sells now or sells later). It turns out he found an identical car with 31k miles vs his 110k on the other coast and flew out and bought it a couple days ago. Just pulled in today from his 3 day cross country trip with stops at a few famous driving roads and...........he was hit in a motel parking lot in Utah. Front bumper cover and quarter panel are toast. Now he has two MR2 Spyders with accidents on Carfax. His logic is funny but I feel sorry for the guy.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

blk posted:

The contractor I hired to refinish the floors on the place I just bought is 10 days late and loving up my entire move in (and move out of rental schedule). I want to be done with him but it looks like I may be taking him to small claims sometime soon. Nobody wins.

OK in other news:

Was chatting with my AI as gently caress neighbor/landlord today. He DDs an MR2 Spyder and was rear ended 2-3 weeks ago. He is not necessarily a fastidious guy as his driveway is full of AW11s, Miatas, and other stuff in various states of moss growth and disassembly, so he surprised me when he said the worst thing about being rear ended was having an accident show up on Carfax, even though the car wasn't totalled. He said he was thinking of unloading the car because of it (this doesn't make sense to me, if it's on the Carfax the damage is done whether he sells now or sells later). It turns out he found an identical car with 31k miles vs his 110k on the other coast and flew out and bought it a couple days ago. Just pulled in today from his 3 day cross country trip with stops at a few famous driving roads and...........he was hit in a motel parking lot in Utah. Front bumper cover and quarter panel are toast. Now he has two MR2 Spyders with accidents on Carfax. His logic is funny but I feel sorry for the guy.

Sounds like he's got one with front end damage, and one with rear end damage.

Make one good car, and then turn the "bad halves" resultant car into a lemons car :q:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Raluek posted:

Sounds like he's got one with front end damage, and one with rear end damage.

Make one good car, and then turn the "bad halves" resultant car into a lemons car :q:

That's actually what I suggested

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not all accident shows up on Carfax.

I rearended someone in my old Accord, then a year later it was totaled by vandalism. Carfax still shows it as having a clean title and no incidents beyond failing emissions once (passed on the same day 20 miles later, so I guess they'd just replaced the battery).

Computer bitching: I got sick of Windows 10, and chose the "Downgrade back to Windows 8.1" option. Well, it downgraded fine. It boots fine, but Explorer.exe (the desktop) never loads. I even tried launching it from task manager, tried opening a cmd.exe windows and launching it from there, tried safe mode.. nothing. No desktop ever comes up.

Thankfully my desktop runs the same version (8.1 Pro w/Media Center), so I made a USB recovery drive from that. Figured I'd be able to use startup repair, but it didn't do poo poo. And it looks like Windows 10 removed all of the system restore images. :argh: So it looks like I get to play some command prompt shenanigans and see how much more I can break it. At this point, worst case, I reinstall on top of the existing OS and do it as an "upgrade".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Not all accident shows up on Carfax.

I rearended someone in my old Accord, then a year later it was totaled by vandalism. Carfax still shows it as having a clean title and no incidents beyond failing emissions once (passed on the same day 20 miles later, so I guess they'd just replaced the battery).

Computer bitching: I got sick of Windows 10, and chose the "Downgrade back to Windows 8.1" option. Well, it downgraded fine. It boots fine, but Explorer.exe (the desktop) never loads. I even tried launching it from task manager, tried opening a cmd.exe windows and launching it from there, tried safe mode.. nothing. No desktop ever comes up.

Thankfully my desktop runs the same version (8.1 Pro w/Media Center), so I made a USB recovery drive from that. Figured I'd be able to use startup repair, but it didn't do poo poo. And it looks like Windows 10 removed all of the system restore images. :argh: So it looks like I get to play some command prompt shenanigans and see how much more I can break it. At this point, worst case, I reinstall on top of the existing OS and do it as an "upgrade".

install gentoo

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
What, you installed an untested new OS without taking a disk image first? :newlol:

Out of curiosity, what did you hate about Win10? It seems like a pretty solid improvement over 8.1 to me. Not sure yet if I like it better than win7, though.

Pham Nuwen posted:

install gentoo

See me after class!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Coredump posted:

I'd like Moog a lot more if he'd gain 10 or 20 pounds.

I'd like him a lot more if he studied music theory and actually had knowledge of the genres he tries to make as his attempts always come across like he heard one song and assumes that's what it all sounds like.

...and also if he'd gain 10 or 20 lbs.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Re: fallout shelter, I got kicked about by raiders in my first shelter so I abandoned it and started another, the "free" rare card was a minigun so I stationed that in the room nearest the door. Send explorers out in the morning, recall them when they run out of stimpacks or when I go to bed, build luck, equip everyone with guns. I got my first deathclaw attack yesterday, minigun guy and the other 5 people in that room took care of them pretty drat quickly. I lost a couple of people who weren't as well armed but they were cheap to revive.

Basically I'd have got bored of being kicked if I hadn't got that minigun.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

install gentoo

I'd love to, but this laptop absolutely has to run Windows due to ~school poo poo~.

If you can find me a way to install a reasonably lightweight RECENT Linux distro on my Chromebook without having to boot ChromeOS first though, I'm all ears. (or if someone wants to buy a Chromebook, I'm also all ears) CruBuntu was a miserable failure on it, with constant CPU temp warnings and nonstop disk thrashing. Most other replacements seem to run as a VM within ChromeOS.

Raluek posted:

What, you installed an untested new OS without taking a disk image first? :newlol:

Out of curiosity, what did you hate about Win10? It seems like a pretty solid improvement over 8.1 to me. Not sure yet if I like it better than win7, though.

Yes and no. I upgraded to a SSD shortly before installing Win10 (and just cloned the existing install), and have the original HDD sitting on my desk. So I literally have a physical disk sitting here, with the original install + all of my data/software on it, except it's about 3 weeks out of date. I've been on a medical leave of absence from school for over a month at this point, so it's not like I'm losing anything if I swap back to the original drive.

Honestly, I really like Win10, it just seems a lot more sluggish on my laptop than 8.1 did, and I've had a few BSOD's. Laptop is a low to mid range consumer laptop, but with a little more RAM - i5 dual core (think it's an Ivy Bridge), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD.

I gave up trying to downgrade back to 8.1 though, and just reinstalled 10 as a clean install. All of my VMs are still there (buried somewhere in Windows.Old), and I really didn't have anything (beyond the VM images) that wasn't already backed up to OneDrive. From what I've heard, at least from friends who have upgraded (including IT pros), lots of upgrades have had issues with BSODs, but were easily fixed with a clean install.

My only real annoyance with 10 is there's no Windows Media Center. I have 6 TV tuners on the LAN, and have all but eliminated cable boxes in the house (gently caress paying :10bux: a month per TV for a basic cable box, more if I want DVR service). I have no way to use them with 10, unless I find a channel marked "copy freely" (and TWC marks everything "copy once" except for OTA stuff). So my desktop, along with a couple of other PCs in the house, will be forever stuck on either 7 Home or 8.1 Pro w/Media Center. WMC is ancient, but it's drat good at live TV and DVR stuff. Pretty pissed WMC is removing Netflix support in a couple of weeks, that means I'll probably be forced to get a Roku for my bedroom. Or just use the Chromecast to cast it to the TV, but the picture quality isn't nearly as good that way.

Slight distraction: I wonder if I can use my Win 8.1 Pro + Media Center keys on another PC now? The laptop originally shipped with Windows 8 Home, then I got an upgrade to 8.1 Pro (free thanks to Dreamspark), then bought the Media Center pack. I have a spare 8.1 Pro + Windows Server 2012 key either way, but I'd like to keep the 8.1 key available for another PC (I was hoping to reuse my Pro + Media Center pack key on my mother's PC - she also uses her PC as a TV, except with a single monitor instead of 3). I've found MS gets bitchy about how you use Media Center keys once they've been used on one PC.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 2, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Slow is Fast posted:

I can only speak for myself, but not a lot of it is really worthy of an AI post unless you guys want to hear about "misc. small engine repair" or "I took all of 5 mins to replace the fuel filter on a '60 corvette" or "this is how you clean the air filter, and grease every nipple on a Komatsu backhoe"

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
"misc small engine repair" could actually be an interesting thread

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Even the most menial of tasks are thread worthy with a few good pics and decent narration, IMHO.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

literally a fish posted:

"misc small engine repair" could actually be an interesting thread

This snapchat pic is literally the only picture I have of it because I thought nobody would care.

Our power has been out for 3 days because of a massive windstorm which took out 440,000 people's power. After 2 days of living without power, I had decided that enough was enough =. I went to my dad's place and picked up his cheap, Chinese knockoff, 8.5kW generator. This is a generator that my father bought at a Richie Bros. auction for about $300, not including the obscenely cheap price he paid for the follow up item which was a cheap Chinese knock off ATV (I believe it was called a Shineray? But that's another story). Anyways, he brought home this generator and was very clearly impressed with his frugal purchase. I immediately pointed out that they spelled "Yokohama" wrong, and expressed my suspicions that this was an item not from the glorious Nippon but rather from "The Alabama of Asia". These thinly veiled insults washed over my father (who I suspect didn't quite get it), and we moved the generator into storage, where it sat for the next 10 years.

That brings us to today. I am a man without power. And because I live out in the sticks, I have well water. Which means I don't have water either. So out I trek to my dad's shop to retrieve the only generator that I know of big enough to power a house. But the problem is it hasn't been started in about 10 years. I go through the usual checks: change the oil, add fuel, pull startx6. Nothing. "Maybe the fuel hasn't filled the float bowl yet." I think so I wait a few mins and try again. Still nothing. I check the air filter, it's all clear. I start to go through the checklist: fuel - check. air - check. spark - hmmm.....

So the spark plug gets pulled and lo and behold the motherfucker is corroded to the block. It carefully gets pulled out, the threads are cleaned, and a new plug (stolen from the lawnmower ( :ssh: don't tell anybody) is inserted. I try the pull start again and...Success! It fires up on the first pull. I throw the switch on the surge protector and hear a squeak but the voltmeter begins showing 120V. I think I have this thing fixed. Feeling victorious I loaded the generator into my truck and take it home, ready for it to generate power for the house. As I get home I notice BC Hydro pull out and the lights in the house are on. I'm too late. The power has been restored. All of my efforts are for naught. I wheel the generator into the garage in the hopes it can one day prove itself.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 2, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Last time I used the Windows Media Center Netflix app it was buggy as poo poo. Have they updated it in the past 5 years?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Sounds like you're better off doing a clean install if you can.

I get to install Windows 10 at work today. Nothing is tested yet in Windows 10. I expect a lot of things to be broken.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Slow is Fast posted:

Did you just complain about people chatting about miscellaneous stuff in the miscellaneous chat thread? That's getting deep.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
hello everyone the weathers getting colder already but I'm actually looking forward to autumn this year for some reason

what about everyone else? 😗

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

corn in the fridge posted:

hello everyone the weathers getting colder already but I'm actually looking forward to autumn this year for some reason

what about everyone else? 😗

I'm torn between being ready for the heat/humidity to gently caress off and wanting it to last a little longer. I didn't go swimming this summer at all :saddowns:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

You mean boost season?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm torn between being ready for the heat/humidity to gently caress off and wanting it to last a little longer. I didn't go swimming this summer at all :saddowns:

where do you usually go swimming?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Summer needs to arrive first before we have autumn. It's the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm itching for a new beater vehicle and my wife wants something 7-passenger to use to haul scouts around. I've had my eyes out for another XC90, but I stumbled on a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero nearby for dirt-cheap.

Except it's on craigslist. And there's no contact information for the seller. No phone number, no email, nothing through cl.

So I went to the address shown on the ad and it was there. It's pretty beat, but I'd be able to clean it up nicely. I left a post-it note on the side window asking them to call me.

I may go stalker on this damned thing.

• Locked thread