Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MustardFacial posted:

I can only speak for myself, but not a lot of it is really worthy of an AI post unless you guys want to hear about "misc. small engine repair" or "I took all of 5 mins to replace the fuel filter on a '60 corvette" or "this is how you clean the air filter, and grease every nipple on a Komatsu backhoe"

Misc small engine repair and over priced parts incoming.

Just bought this! Runs decent, but carb could use some cleaning, but it has a Kohler K341, so it will be running for ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

I'm itching for a new beater vehicle and my wife wants something 7-passenger to use to haul scouts around. I've had my eyes out for another XC90, but I stumbled on a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero nearby for dirt-cheap.

Except it's on craigslist. And there's no contact information for the seller. No phone number, no email, nothing through cl.

So I went to the address shown on the ad and it was there. It's pretty beat, but I'd be able to clean it up nicely. I left a post-it note on the side window asking them to call me.

I may go stalker on this damned thing.

Aren't monteros plagued by piston ring issues causing them to smokescreen constantly? My Dad had a 98 montero and it was pretty alright at the time.

I have to say, I love subaru AWD in houston rains. It just doesn't give a poo poo. With my old focus, I'd spin front tires on road paint. In my Miata, I'd have to make sure I watch the revs because vtak would try to kick in, yo. With this subie, it just goes. Awesome.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Small engine repair would be interesting. I have a Kawasaki FC420 on a walk behind I haven't figured out yet. It starts great and runs OK until it warms up, and then it starts missing and knocking. Parts are stupid expensive, so far I have removed and cleaned the carb, adjusted valves, gapped the coil, wrapped up the plug wire in heat resistant electric tape, and power washed off the cooling fins. It's a little better, but still acts up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Coredump posted:

I'd like Moog a lot more if he'd gain 10 or 20 pounds.

WTF is this poo poo? He's a perfectly healthy human.

The Mini reveal.... holy poo poo that was from absolutly nowhere. And the dickheads all got riled up - sure it's not supercool but a MkIII Classic Mini is simply amazing and if you know Moog, perfect choice.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

WTF is this poo poo? He's a perfectly healthy human.

I was waiting for someone to bite, might as well been you. Okay Cat I know this is going to the most American thing you hear all day but ever since I started watching MCM Moog's face just seems "off" to me. Then I finally figured out what bothered me about him. He's got high cheekbones and his cheeks sink in on the side of his face. When he talks his lips pull back from his teeth a lot. Couple this with somewhat sunken eyes annddd... Yeah Moog looks like dead.

Yeah yeah I know, "fat American doesn't know what a healthy person looks like, blah blah." I get it, and you're probably right. But from seeing too many gore videos and pictures linked on these forums thru the years Moog looks like some of the people I've seen near death from starvation or some who just recently passed. I dunno if anyone else sees it but go watch some MCM videos and tell me if Moog's face doesn't look slightly sunken in while he's talking.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

rdb posted:

Small engine repair would be interesting. I have a Kawasaki FC420 on a walk behind I haven't figured out yet. It starts great and runs OK until it warms up, and then it starts missing and knocking. Parts are stupid expensive, so far I have removed and cleaned the carb, adjusted valves, gapped the coil, wrapped up the plug wire in heat resistant electric tape, and power washed off the cooling fins. It's a little better, but still acts up.

Check/replace the ignitor. Its the thing that is connected to the coil before the kill switch. Part number should be 21119-2101. Theyre like $15 on ebay.

e: you can find the manual for it here http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasaki-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/

Between my stuff and customers stuff I could almost support a small engine repair thread but I didnt think that many people here would be interested since the alternative insanity thread doesnt get much action.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 2, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Every time I checked the alternative insanity it was grandpa's old tractor. I was hoping for more homegrown go-kart death machines.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Coredump posted:

I was waiting for someone to bite, might as well been you. Okay Cat I know this is going to the most American thing you hear all day but ever since I started watching MCM Moog's face just seems "off" to me. Then I finally figured out what bothered me about him. He's got high cheekbones and his cheeks sink in on the side of his face. When he talks his lips pull back from his teeth a lot. Couple this with somewhat sunken eyes annddd... Yeah Moog looks like dead.

Yeah yeah I know, "fat American doesn't know what a healthy person looks like, blah blah." I get it, and you're probably right. But from seeing too many gore videos and pictures linked on these forums thru the years Moog looks like some of the people I've seen near death from starvation or some who just recently passed. I dunno if anyone else sees it but go watch some MCM videos and tell me if Moog's face doesn't look slightly sunken in while he's talking.

Moog is a vegetarian and he doesn't seem to snack on sweet poo poo much which would explain his narrowness and general lack of heft.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Gonna take a look at this Jeep for my brother after work. His budget is quite a bit higher ($4k) but for a reliable daily driver with 4WD and can haul things, I think it's pretty slick.

I'm also hoping to hear back on this Subaru but the mileage has him scared.

edit: what do you guys know about Nissan Frontiers?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 2, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CharlesM posted:

No, I was curious why it's named Jim Crow.

You know how ridiculously racist the south is caricaturized as? They're not being sarcastic.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

MustardFacial posted:

Generator repair story

This was actually more interesting than I expected to read, 8/10 would read more

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Coredump posted:

Every time I checked the alternative insanity it was grandpa's old tractor. I was hoping for more homegrown go-kart death machines.

I'm mulling the idea of making a dedicated kart thread next year. The poo poo that's failed on my two stroke kart and my shoestring budget solutions might be entertaining.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

88h88 posted:

Moog is a vegetarian and he doesn't seem to snack on sweet poo poo much which would explain his narrowness and general lack of heft.

Like I said, "Fat American things". I'm fully prepared to accept I'm just wrong about this. But...yeah.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

corn in the fridge posted:

where do you usually go swimming?

There's a couple local rivers that have a bunch of great swimming holes not super far from me, shits nice, not a ton of people to bug you.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

I didn't go swimming this summer at all :saddowns:

You just made me realize that I haven't either.. :(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Quarterly ""everyone be there" meeting at work today, so I had to go in on my normal telecommuting day. Got a $1000 bonus award for a project we did last quarter. Worth the commute I guess! :toot:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrChips posted:

That's the point of the game; you don't! :ssh:

Also it gets a hell of a lot more ridiculous/hilarious from there, believe me.

I love what the Soviet Benzo analog does.
Aw, man - glad I laundered bought the $10K in twenties when I had just enough BTC. My tip account got suspended, and with it my tip-bot.

Tusen Takk posted:

Same, i saved up 40BTC and bought a stack of $10,000 in $20 bills off the darknet, but now it wont let me choose a mining rig or whatever

That, too.
I love how all of the graphs for profit margins on all the mining rigs are negative.

scuz posted:

Guys the Mad Max video game was released today.

Yes, it was.

Pre-order @ GameStop included an exclusive in-game car body, a poster, and a sweet diecast of one variation of the Magnum Opus.
I'm liking the game. Chumbucket is awesome - spark plug necklace, another sparkplug in his ear, and a tool pouch loincloth?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

Pre-order @ GameStop included an exclusive in-game car body, a poster, and a sweet diecast of one variation of the Magnum Opus.

17+ EXCLISIVE COLLECTIBLE VEHICLE RATED M

naw but for real that's p sweet

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Darchangel posted:

I'm liking the game. Chumbucket is awesome - spark plug necklace, another sparkplug in his ear, and a tool pouch loincloth?

Please don't pre-order video games

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Coredump posted:

I hang out with Triathletes and cyclists. He's frankly fat compared to some of them - there is absolutly nothing wrong with him at all. GG he's just a fit man who watches what he eats.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hey let's install 15lb speakers on tiles that are meant to break off if water or anything hits it. What could possibly go wrong!?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hey let's install 15lb speakers on tiles that are meant to break off if water or anything hits it. What could possibly go wrong!?

Why would the tiles break if water or anything else hits them? Why would you design a tile like that?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

They are meant to break away. No loving clue why. They are horrible. It's literally a piece of paper with like a Z pattern inside but is mostly hollow with another strip of paper on top. Never seen anything like it before and these tiles are inly used in the lobby while the rest of the building uses normal tiles. It's absurd to be honest.

I can't even use a sheetrock saw to cut holes out. I need to use a loving razor blade.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 2, 2015

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That's insane. Why the gently caress would anybody use those, let alone in a lobby? That's just asking for poo poo to go horribly wrong in a small time frame.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah dude I have no idea. Considering I have 15 more of these to mount tomorrow in there I am no pleased. I farted and the tile bowed down.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
If a tree fell over in a windstorm, is there any chance it would survive a re-planting a little bit deeper, in a different spot?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MustardFacial posted:

If a tree fell over in a windstorm, is there any chance it would survive a re-planting a little bit deeper, in a different spot?

Any visible damage to the roots? My step-dad used to own a tree moving service, I guess as long as the roots are intact it can be saved.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

Any visible damage to the roots? My step-dad used to own a tree moving service, I guess as long as the roots are intact it can be saved.

A bunch of the bigger ones are snapped off, and I'll likely have to cut a few to get it out of the ground, but there are still a bunch coiled around the bottom of the trunk in a ball and those ones look alright.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Trim a lot of the uppermost branches and the widest branches to match the loss of the destroyed roots. Water heavily but don't overwater to the point of rot when re-planting.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
might as well try

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Darchangel posted:

Yes, it was.

Goddamnit I want that diecast Opus so much :allears:

Game owns. I've sunk 10 hours into it so far and haven't even reached the second half of the map, just been loving around doing all the side mission-y stuff.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah dude I have no idea. Considering I have 15 more of these to mount tomorrow in there I am no pleased. I farted and the tile bowed down.

You're talking about ceiling tiles right? My bet is they are designed to be used under sprinklers so you don't see the sprinklers till they go off. But I know very little about commercial building stuff.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

All the sprinkler heads for the tiles are flush mount to the tiles. I blame it on some gently caress nut architect for the school who thot it'd look cool.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

T1g4h posted:

New Mad Max game confirmed awesome as gently caress. Really don't see why there were 4 other options you could pick when choosing a body for your car because this one is :perfect:

Game also has a built in capture mode that pauses the action, removes the HUD, and gives you free cam with lots of options. More games need this feature :h:

T1g4h posted:

The hell you say. I picked the only correct option since Wild Hunt is the classic Interceptor, son :colbert:

I picked the '32 Ford looking thing, just to be different. I thought about Wild Hunt, but it's not the BoB, man (rear side windows aren't right). Besides, you can change bodies later on, I think. I almost got the Rolls body, just because offroad Rolls.
Note that the diecast that the Game Stop preorder came with is a Wind Hunt, though.

Enourmo posted:

17+ EXCLISIVE COLLECTIBLE VEHICLE RATED M

naw but for real that's p sweet

Also, on the back, it says "THIS IS A COLLECTIBLE NOT A TOY" on the back, in big, bold capitals. The GameStop guy found that humorous and pointed it out.

It's cheap Chinese, but the casting isn't bad. I don't like the generic weenie wheels it's got on it. May take it out of the package and hack some nice Hot Wheels wheels into it. Or find a second one on eBay, if they're not stupid expensive.

MustardFacial posted:

Please don't pre-order video games

I usually don't. I "pre-ordered" it like last Thursday. I wanted the damned diecast. Also, why not? I was pretty sure I'd like the game after reviews, who made it, etc.

T1g4h posted:

Goddamnit I want that diecast Opus so much :allears:

Game owns. I've sunk 10 hours into it so far and haven't even reached the second half of the map, just been loving around doing all the side mission-y stuff.

Only reason I pre-ordered. Played for about 4 hours last night and haven't even gotten out of Chumbucket's territory.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Darchangel posted:

Also, why not? I was pretty sure I'd like the game after reviews, who made it, etc.
:siren: MustardFacial gets in a huff about the games industry.....again. :siren:

The reason why you shouldn't pre-order games is because the publishers want you on the hook before the embargo's drop and you find out the game is a big piece of poo poo. They want their $60 from you based solely on the marketing and hype train they've managed to generate. Ever wonder why video game advertising seems so much more sensationalist than anything else? That's why. These companies want you on the hook before anyone has had a chance to warn you off it.

Want to know why there aren't demos anymore? This is why. The onus is no longer on the game maker to convince you they're making a good game, when you are so willing to plop down $60 months before it's out.

Do you want games to be stable on release? Do you want new IP? Do you want the content of the game to justify the money you spent? Do you want GOOD games again? Then stop pre-ordering. Publishers have exactly ZERO reason to ensure any of these things happen if you keep pre-ordering games. The same game you pre-ordered will still be there on release day, yeah you probably wouldn't have gotten the hot wheels but the fact that they're willing to include something like that (and charge you extra for it) shows how badly they want your money upfront, right now.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

kastein posted:

You're talking about ceiling tiles right? My bet is they are designed to be used under sprinklers so you don't see the sprinklers till they go off. But I know very little about commercial building stuff.

Maybe they're so a bunch of water doesn't build up on top of them in case of a leak. Seems like a useful feature if they're in a room with a lot of paper or electronics inside. Then a small drip causes an immediate and noticeable problem before you drop a few gallons on your records or whatever.

Why someone would use them in a lobby is a mystery.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Agree with MustardFacial. If you want to think about how absurd game pre-ordering is (especially, but not solely, in this digital era), replace "game" with "box of cereal." It just wouldn't make sense - you'd want to taste the cereal first, or at least hear about how friends liked it, before you bought it.

E: it turns out my favorite woodworker on YouTube (Jimmy DiResta) just bought a 71 C10 and may start a series of videos on it. Check out his daily driver as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9shHd0c9UiE

E: poo poo C10 freudian slip

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 3, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh god the photo of that Syrian infant that drowned :(

I gotta go hug my 3 year old for a long time...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Oh god the photo of that Syrian infant that drowned :(

I gotta go hug my 3 year old for a long time...

There's a whole bunch of bodies washing ashore all over the Mediterranean Sea recently. It's horrid and you should not look at the images on liveleak.

Funny, Europe wasn't getting hammered by huge waves of refugees before the West destabilized the entire Middle East...

Edit: I just saw the picture you were talking about. At least the article called the people "refugees" instead of "migrants," because they sure as gently caress are not migrants.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

There's a whole bunch of bodies washing ashore all over the Mediterranean Sea recently. It's horrid and you should not look at the images on liveleak.

I know, it just keeps making me hate our species more and more...

• Locked thread