Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Your owner's manual will tell you what you can and cannot pull. Probably the sticker on the drivers door jamb as well (it may be on the door itself, but near the physical latch).

In the US, cars are often downrated in towing capacity for some reason, compared to their overseas versions. In any event, it's fairly likely it can pull a very small trailer, but you'll have to get a hitch installed.

Keep in mind that U-Haul has their own guidelines about what vehicle they will rent to; they don't just go by towing ratings.

I plugged a 2015 Chrysler 200 into the uhaul website, and it said they would rent up to a 6'x12', although you'd be better off with a smaller one. It also depends on what weight your hitch is rated to. Biodome, I suggest you plug your car into their thing (I don't know what year and drivetrain you have) and it'll tell you what they'll let you rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

lol you can't embed a gifv

e: oh cool you got it :thumbsup:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

blk posted:

The contractor I hired to refinish the floors on the place I just bought is 10 days late and loving up my entire move in (and move out of rental schedule). I want to be done with him but it looks like I may be taking him to small claims sometime soon. Nobody wins.

OK in other news:

Was chatting with my AI as gently caress neighbor/landlord today. He DDs an MR2 Spyder and was rear ended 2-3 weeks ago. He is not necessarily a fastidious guy as his driveway is full of AW11s, Miatas, and other stuff in various states of moss growth and disassembly, so he surprised me when he said the worst thing about being rear ended was having an accident show up on Carfax, even though the car wasn't totalled. He said he was thinking of unloading the car because of it (this doesn't make sense to me, if it's on the Carfax the damage is done whether he sells now or sells later). It turns out he found an identical car with 31k miles vs his 110k on the other coast and flew out and bought it a couple days ago. Just pulled in today from his 3 day cross country trip with stops at a few famous driving roads and...........he was hit in a motel parking lot in Utah. Front bumper cover and quarter panel are toast. Now he has two MR2 Spyders with accidents on Carfax. His logic is funny but I feel sorry for the guy.

Sounds like he's got one with front end damage, and one with rear end damage.

Make one good car, and then turn the "bad halves" resultant car into a lemons car :q:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
What, you installed an untested new OS without taking a disk image first? :newlol:

Out of curiosity, what did you hate about Win10? It seems like a pretty solid improvement over 8.1 to me. Not sure yet if I like it better than win7, though.

Pham Nuwen posted:

install gentoo

See me after class!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geirskogul posted:

Agree with MustardFacial. If you want to think about how absurd game pre-ordering is (especially, but not solely, in this digital era), replace "game" with "box of cereal." It just wouldn't make sense - you'd want to taste the cereal first, or at least hear about how friends liked it, before you bought it.

E: it turns out my favorite woodworker on YouTube (Jimmy DiResta) just bought a 71 S10 and may start a series of videos on it. Check out his daily driver as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9shHd0c9UiE

Yo that's a C10. I don't think they had 1/4T pickups in the 70s, anyway.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Apparently Oakland is the closest showing. Bummer.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

14 INCH DICK posted:

If you're anywhere between Sacramento and Gilroy it's worth the drive. Believe me, I used to live there so I can make a statement like that in all honesty.

Yea San Jose. I dunno, is it worth the half tank (and thus like $30 in gas) to get there?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meatpimp posted:

drat, I forgot about that... I've got a cutter for regular-to-micro... I should have just grabbed a cutter for micro-to-nano. I'll try cutting mine down, though. Thanks for the reminder!

My current SIM started out as a mini-SIM, then I cut it down to a micro-SIM for my iPhone4, then again to nano-SIM for the 5s. Each time just with scissors. Works out fine. There are cutting templates on the internet, if you don't have a real nano to compare against.

Coredump posted:

I don't have big hands at all and you are so wrong. Holding a 4s after having my 6+ for a year is a shock. I've literally said "how did I use this tiny thing?" The 4s feels like baby's first phone. The 6+ however has made my tablet start gathering dust.

I do have big hands, and I think my 4 was the perfect size. I've gotten used to the 5s, but I don't think it's ideal. I've played with a 6, and while it's usable, it's ungainly. Not comfortable to use long term, although I could make it work. The 6+ is just too loving big, though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My man! :buddy: the stainless band, white glass back, a nice heft to it. Perfect!

Yeah. If I could get the guts (and touchID) of the 5S in a 4 body, I would do it in an instant. Tim is no Steve, though, so we're stuck with these idiot hugephone abominations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

Ew, Apple.

Yeah, god forbid someone tries to actually make a nice experience for the user.

I've never met an android phone that wasn't a janky unresponsive piece of crashy garbage, but this isn't yospos so I guess I'll leave it at that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Kind of rambling here, but I just realized N5's with broken screens are going for less than $100 on both Amazon and eBay. If I can verify they have clean ESNs, it's tempting to snag one and just swap the motherboard over, since the power button is soldered to the board. I know it's an issue that'll eventually return, but I'm not scared of swapping the motherboard (and I already want to throw this ZTE piece of poo poo through the wall). I had it out when I replaced the battery (didn't have to come out, just wanted to see how easy it came out), so I'm not scared of swapping it. Only worried about getting one with a blacklisted ESN, since the IMEI/ESN follows the board.

Send your old phone to TT to get soldermonkey'd for cheap? :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tommychu posted:

Fuuuck. Rear knock sensor in beatertruck ('00 GMC 4.8) is not removable- the hex just went crunch and started spinning. There's too much mud and crap around to safely pull the valley pan, there's not really enough room to get any fun extraction tools in there, Google says I have to hammer and chisel it out fuel-sender-lock-ring-style but I'm not sure the stud is going to take much of that. Anyone know a trick for these?

The knock sensors thread into a boss in the block, not the valley pan, anyway. You'd have to destroy the valley pan to get it off with a knock sensor in place. So yeah, destroying the knock sensor sounds like a better plan.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tommychu posted:

OK that makes sense. I'll head to work tomorrow and grab a couple chisels.
Pretty sure I'm going to be snapping the sensor and drilling that stud out though, please tell me that's a blind hole :ohdear:

It is.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I actually like the pink tile. I guess I'm a wierdo. :blush:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
:shobon: I guess some people are just hard on their things.

My Ford needed a rebuilt engine after 20 years, and has gone another 35. In that time it's needed new brushes for the generator, wheel bearings, a couple water pumps, a carb kit, wheel cylinders, clutch master, and somehow it chewed up the diff ring gear like 15 years ago. To me, that's all expected maintenance stuff, except the ring gear.

My dad's Ford is only 11 years old, but it's been trouble free except for the fuel pump that went out a couple years ago.

I think the Fords have been the most reliable vehicles we have had. The interior of the Honda that's only a year older than my dad's Ford is falling apart; all the plastic is getting fragile.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah. At least those are slightly more subtle than the ones with mangled grammar asking you if you're interested in unforgettable experiences in bed.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Were you not ashamed of being from texas already? At least you aren't Florida Man, I guess.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I didn't know they made a dohc '65 Mustang. ;)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

In my mind, there's a tremendous cargo box in the front, like a giant reverse ute.

I'm imagining it having a row of those flip-up cargo doors on the other side from the original bus. Seems practical.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Speaking of rat and VW, what happened to that beetle with a fake gun turret and no front brakes?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

NitroSpazzz posted:

California people, how is the Monterrey area for a spot to kill some time in over the weekend sitting on a beach?

The aquarium owns, but that's all I remember about Monterey. :shobon:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

the name for the fuel injection system you'd find on late 90's S-10s was central fuel injection instead of TBI like everyone I know calls it

Did the V6 vortecs not have the weird central spider injection system like the V8 vortecs? 'Cause that's a different thing than TBI.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

I dunno, I know the system they were describing was the one where you have what basically appears to be a carb sitting on a intake manifold which is the same poo poo my dad had on his S-10, thus me pointing it out. They called it central fuel injection, everyone I've seen refers to it as throttle body injection, its possible we're all wrong though. All I know is its dumb and I want to get a 5.3 to stick in my dad's S-10 instead of his 250k mile 4.3.

It doesn't matter where the throttle plate is, it matters where the fuel injectors are. TBI has the injectors in the throttle body, like a carburetor would. Central fuel injection has plastic lines going down each runner with poppet valves. They also have a throttle body on the top of the manifold, but it's just a throttle body, no fuel like a TBI throttle body would have.

TBI:

Spider poo poo:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Preoptopus posted:

I hate this thing so much

Yeah it sucks. I just put a carb on mine! :haw:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah, thinking back the 4.3 I'm thinking of would have been spider, which has the proper name of central fuel injection, so I guess the question was right. I'm still right about the optima question being wrong since the training materials optima give us say to only use a trickle charger and that they are glass mat batteries. :colbert:

Oh yeah, Optimas are totally AGM. I don't think an alternator counts as a trickle charger, but I suppose you should still be careful with them to maintain warranty or whatever.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

Well? We're waiting.......

You can't guess by the AR15 bolt face in his avatar? I thought that would be a dead giveaway what his conservative-leaning main issue might be.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Guns own tho

I'm not disputing that :confused:

Just saying that's probably his single issue that aligns him with the conservatives. Don't you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kimbo305 posted:

What is your threshold for 0.5 figures?

It's a yospos joke making fun of someone who said "6.5 figgies" to mean "$150k", which is neither $500k nor 10^(5.5)=$316k. I guess it's a meme now?

scuz posted:

New boss at the job asked my buddy who works there whether I'm gay because of the bright orange shirt I wore to the interview :psyduck:

lmao are you sure you want to work for these people? Sounds like quite a piece of work.

• Locked thread