Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The house might still look like we turned it upside down and shook it but I spent an hour in the garage last night rearranging, it's now barely more than half full, everything's sorted into same type piles and we know where it all is. I'll pick up some 2x2 & 2x4 later this week and knock some shelves together, then I might have enough space to build a basic work bench. Three nights of good sleep will do wonders it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

One of the kids has scratched the poo poo out of the floor in the new place, it's like new car syndrome but worse.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Re: fallout shelter, I got kicked about by raiders in my first shelter so I abandoned it and started another, the "free" rare card was a minigun so I stationed that in the room nearest the door. Send explorers out in the morning, recall them when they run out of stimpacks or when I go to bed, build luck, equip everyone with guns. I got my first deathclaw attack yesterday, minigun guy and the other 5 people in that room took care of them pretty drat quickly. I lost a couple of people who weren't as well armed but they were cheap to revive.

Basically I'd have got bored of being kicked if I hadn't got that minigun.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fitted an ariel in the attic last night, hardly str-level stuff but I got good reception on my first try so :feelsgood:

Had to short the multiple cables in the attic one by one to find the one for the living room though, short one, run round the house with a multimeter, label the shorted one and move on. Someone in the future who wants more than one tv in the house is going to thank me :v:

Down to three boxes to unpack in the living room, garage is about half full but not stacked high, all bedrooms are pretty sorted. I need to get some 2x4s and 2x2s and 18mm chipboard and build some 2'x8' garage shelving, should cost me less than a hundred quid for 16' of floor to ceiling shelves that will readily take 300kg per shelf.

Treated myself to a ryobi jigsaw, might add an impact to that to help with the woodwork later.

We were discussing where to put the last bookshelf (Ikea but sturdy enough) and my lad asked if it could go in his room "so it doesn't get in your way and me and sister can get books without waking you up" :3: Okay son, sold.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Spent 10s wondering what for and how you'd get an Ariel Atom into your attic.

What for? To hide it from my wife. How? Ramped it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

drat timber got expensive, quoted £300 for everything I need for 12' of racking and an 8' bench. I'll try the smaller timber yards next but I suppose if I'm building it strong enough to jump on I'll pay the price.

Phone chat: anyone got a dual SIM phone? I could really benefit from one but I also want 4g.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's not dual SIM sadly. A 16 GB dual SIM 4G moto g would be great, I'm sure they'll release that combo at some point.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

Where are you getting prices from? I always use my local builders merchant. They don't cut it (you can cut it yourself in the carpark if you like) and I usually save on delivery charges by driving it the 1 mile home with it threaded right through the landy via the bulkhead vents and the back catflap.

Rough sawn 3"x2" in 4.8m lengths is about £4+VAT and rough sawn 4"x2" is something like £5.50+VAT ish per length.

I can't find a reciept handy at the moment for any rough, but I bought some easi-edge stuff recently (the planed, kiln dried C16/C24 stuff) and that was £7.80+VAT for 4"x2" or £6+VAT for 3"x2 (both 4.8m lengths)

I priced b&q vs travis Perkins as they're both a mile away. TP was about 10-15% cheaper but I didn't think of pricing 4.8m and cutting. TP does free delivery if you get a card with them (free) I'll check for other local yards.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

It is simpler and cheaper to just price on the full 4.8m lengths (and over order as you will always use more!) and pay the delivery if necessary.

Get quotes from the indie merchants as they are often cheaper than tp/jewson/buildbase.

I live under a mile from Audley Builders Merchant who will also deliver for free if I spend over £50 (or get lucky with someone else on my road placing an order the same day)

There are also a number of timber merchants around here if you feel like trying them - though I've only used them for smaller planks (howarths in Newcastle and there are 2 or 3 in Etruria/Hanley)

If you decide you want to collect from somewhere and pickup and cut in the car park I have a caravan chassis based trailer you can borrow.

Good advice, thanks. I'll remember the trailer as well, I knew I'd got a good reason to own a battery sabre saw.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

14 INCH DICK posted:

Because dog lovers are mentally deficient?

As opposed to cat lovers?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Buy the undamaged body, you'll spend more than 500 getting hail damage sorted.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My box of catshit is in the bathroom as it should be. The dog shits on the lawn and it gets cleared daily. I know my house smells of animals even if I can't smell it. And kids are simultaneously the worst and greatest thing.

I could take the pets or leave them honestly, but I know my wife wants another cat when this one passes.

My most AI experience lately was being given a free petrol mower. My first foray into small IC engines, a 500 series briggs and stratton that surges like crazy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Even after all these years, I still love tearing into a small engine. They just make me so happy in a way that I can't possibly imagine a passenger car engine making me.

Too bad it's a four-stroke or you could get really crazy.

A workmate has just offered me a second free gas mower, apparently not propelled so fingers crossed it's 2 stoke, "best" one will be for the lawn, other one might be gutted for a go kart...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

For you or the kids?

Well I'll have to make sure it's safe, and build it so they can grow into it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I am suffering the most middle-class 1st-world problem at the moment :v:

We bought sofas 6 years ago without stain guard, had 2 kids, a dog and 2 cats. Sofas still look okay, no damage or stains but we need to get rid of a massive swiveling armchair and replace it with a second sofa because we moved and it doesn't fit.

Wife is paranoid and wants stain guard on the new one, £90 on a £400 sofa. I let her have it to keep her happy but my treat-self budget is evaporating quickly.

On the plus side there are bats in the trees behind us, and even better, the house is on great condition and they aren't in our attic so I get to watch them in the back garden without worrying :yayclod:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I stopped on the way home to look at an NB mx5 and it didn't excite me on the slightest. Am I broken? Will I feel different when my garage is useable rather than packed full of poo poo and inaccessible?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mooseykins posted:

Meanwhile, in Kwik-Fit..

ATS near our office is staffed entirely by miserable cunts who seem to absolutely loathe their jobs and each other, and do everything begrudgingly.

I can't wait to go back for two more tyres.

Quite the opposite. I've always found them dull, in every aspect. I have friends who rave about them like they're the best thing since sliced bread, but they're just not.

I did like the very direct and positive gearshift though. But otherwise, meh.

Tomorrow i need to pull the van's wishbones and press in new ball joints, pull the starter and clean/grease the nose gearbox, change the diesel filter and remove the serpentine belt and clean it up to stop it squealing. Of course after a day of clear blue skies and 25 degrees it's just started raining.

Ah that reminds me, the totem of hatred and anguish multipla is misbehaving, occasionally hard to get into first and second, other times it's fine, third and higher is always okay. Oil was changed recently, clutch engages 1/2 - 2/3 down and doesn't slip, what is that likely to be and how do I fix it? My wife loves this car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mooseykins posted:

I've previously bought tyres online a few times and fitted them myself (I used to work as a tyre fitter) or had friends fit them.

For the little i've saved, it's not worth the extra hassle. There's a place near me that for the tyres on my car they were £8 cheaper each online delivered. By the time you buy them, take them somewhere and pay £5+ (if needed) to have them fitted and balanced it's easier to just drive straight somewhere and get them to do it.

Heh, I did my high school work experience fitting tyres at ATS, I learnt most of my first swear words there.

Last set of tyres for the E46 came from black circles, delivered to a local place and fitted for about £45 total less than the same place could quote me, plus a billion club card points cheered the wife up. They treated me fine as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

You can at least retain your self respect, and know that you're better than those compression-ignition heathens.

I will fight you on the powder lakes, just as soon as I get this hard start diagnosed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just spent fifteen minutes trying to drill an exploded-10-years-ago cell out of my very first maglite, even though it's wrecked, too big and heavy and a £3 led torch will kick it's arse.

Basically being able to dick around in my own garage is ace.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

88h88 posted:

Pity, it looks like great fun. Might have to go next year.

I went last year, got 25% off through work so I treated dad and younger brother, elder bro couldn't make it. Well worth it. Will go again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Today was a bad day to find out my mot expired nearly a week ago, but my wife picked up the parts I needed while I was at work so I could fit them this evening and drop it in tomorrow morning. Everything's been so stressful and chaotic with the move I clear forgot and feel stupid.

Yeah, PO monkey-hosed the handbrake mechanisms both sides, plus a bunch of corrosion that means I had to get creative with bolts and washer combinations to get it back together and safe. Then the loving (new)wear sensor broke as I put it in by hand. Not pleased.

Buttoned it all up with a quick test drive and realised the hazard lights don't work :suicide:

How bad an idea would it be to transplant a whole rear subframe from a lower mileage less rusty one in the scrapper's? About to hit 200,000 on this thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

E46 failed mot on two things, number plate light and hazard warning switch. Thought I'd quickly tackle the plate light tonight and ended up spending an hour replacing a bunch of corroded-rear end wiring. I managed to get the hazard switch working yesterday but obviously it's intermittent. Knob.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

It's a loving flashing light. Of course it's intermittent. :colbert:

I know this was two days ago but thanks, this cheered up a lovely day.

Passed the MOT on Saturday, hazard switch had started to disintegrate, I lashed it together with a variety of types of tapes and cable ties. New one ordered. Fiat next, wonder which of the many squeaks and rattles will be deemed excessive. At least parts are cheap and it's easy to work on.

Spent most of today clearing stuff out of the attic and garden of the old house. After being evicted in a hurry we left some stuff being, had a chance to collect it but it cost me the rest of the weekend. I made sure I got all the kids toys and put them up so they have a swing, little trampoline, bikes etc again, but my lad has outgrown his. I'm on the lookout for a cheap kids bmx or similar now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Halfords have a sale on, how old is he?

A tall-assed five. I'll check it out thanks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

It turned out that it was legit antivirus being marketed for three different antivirus companies and is triggered by posting too many links

Deal with that loving avatar.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dropped my swanky new phone (dual SIM 3rd gen moto g) 5 feet into cronky concrete.

Slight scratch on the frame, I'm kind of relieved it's damaged now, I'll be less precious about it.

I'm helping my in-laws clear the old house, cordless sawzall is the correct tool for the garden clearance every time. Tree? Saw. Shed? Saw. Garden furniture? Saw.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Brit goons: A guy mentioned to me that he has a 1500 Spitfire and a late-80s Mini he was thinking about selling, anyone want me to get details off him? I have no idea about condition, price etc at this point.

gently caress yes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

It is old enough to meet the US import regs, as it's a 30th anniversary one, so 1989.

EDIT: You've got an XJ, yeah? What year is it?

I'll see if I can get info off him in the near future and pass it on to you.

Please, a reasonably priced mini or a 1500 that isn't a rolling collection of 50 years of previous owner bodges would be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Before you buy a moto X cross-shop the moto G, then decide if it's worth the extra. It's the default phone unless you want something special.

Massive robot project at work got canned, I was told to keep the folder in case the money came back. :(
Then they threw me a logistics problem, the best solution for which is massive automation. I put a strategy together in a couple of days and presented it Friday. Lots of enthusiasm and I was told to run with it. Sounding familiar... It'd be nice to see some of these projects go somewhere one day.

• Locked thread