Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Adiabatic posted:

Congratulations fjelltorsk on beating the poo poo out of cancer and continuing to have an awe-inspiring life!

Computer chat: I'm learning about registers and assembly language in my class and my mind is being blown. Tell me all of the related poo poo because wow.

I love you guys, and i dont really think my life is very awsome, i just have a habit of doing what i want if i can find the time to do it....

speaking of time, its still august

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Do i get extra AI points for chopping of the roof of a PT cruiser today?

Was fun being on the training grounds working on MVA drills again. bonus points for making our probies sitt in the vehicle while we extract them and roll the roof.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I may or may not have rerouted my crew while driving back from a false alarm to go pick up my new roadbike...

i am a bad man

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
another great weekend at the cabin. the boys caught there first macrells and we picked 75l of blueberries. i am dead tired. but i guess thats part of parenting.

we really need a truck tho. we could drive a mile closer and shave off 50% off the walk with some more ground clearance. will be checking out some amaroks and hiluxes the next week, and also a forrester.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

InitialDave posted:

When's the Tesla SUV out?

first off, im not made of money.

second, we are not ready to become an all EV household and finally.

you cant toss a dead deer in the back of an Tesla and not feel abit like an rear end...

I did however just sign the papers for a 2015 amarok with 2200kms on the clock. 2.0tdi, 8speed auto and highline trimlevel. finding a five seat variant was hard. so when i found a nice on we jumped on it even tho it was a good 12k bucks more than we ideally would want to spend on a "beater".

i use the term beater in the loosest of terms tho. this is as much of a beater i am willing to transport my kids in. My accident gave me a scare. and while i am perfectly willing to drive around in a 1981 hilux with gorillatape as part of the subframe i am not willing to transport my family in one.

i think the targabarthingie on the back needs to go tho,and maybe the cowcatcher

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Ferremit posted:

let us know how many transmissions per 100,000km it goes through. Guy I know has an Amarok with the 8 speed auto and its on its 3rd trans before hitting 100K kms because of "Reasons" (seriously, the dealerships cant even diagnose it, they just drop the box out and put a new one in when it forgets its got gears)

I dont think VAG has quite got that trans figured out just yet.

Thanks for pointing this out to me 4 hours to late :D

its warrantied to 150k kms, so it should be okay...

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Mooseykins posted:

You're my hero.

Also, please tell me those are Hella LED spots on the front?

Yes, yes they are. it even has a mild tune that increases mileage and power, (or so they say) i have a feeling this will be dads car on most weekdays, the wife can charge for free and park gratis at the hospital in the tesla.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I am a little child. i am sitting looking at my phone waiting for the dealer calling to let me know i can pick up the amarok. well, atleast i can bill my customer while i sit here :D

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Got the Amarok. Where do i collect my questionable tattoos, wifebeater and hat?

God its slow tho. i think maybe i am spoiled

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Havin a truck is awsome, i got 12 sacks of dirt for the garden, some tiles and 600kg of sand in the back today.

i also park like an idiot if i find a incline or rock to set the truck on

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Mooseykins posted:

Nicely done.

I once put 2,056kg in my van. Sooooo about 800kg overloaded. :stare:

How you liking the truck so far in all aspects? Nice drive, interior and engine?

It drives...ok. my referances latetly is the p85D and the transit connect at work. we also have a few hiluxes at the firehouse. it drives fairly nice on the highway, get a bit big and weird in narrow streets. it bounces a bit in the rear when empty. the interior is almost like a golf, seats are decent but could be better. the layout of the interior is very good, its kinda liberating not doing everything via the huge touchscreen in the tesla.

the engine is...slow. but the gearbox works great so its not a big issue. i guess a year in a P85D kinda spoil everything else.

so far i really love it, i have been listening to zz top in it since i got it to get used to driving a pickup quicker

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Spent way to long debadging the Amarok. considering slapping on a "biturbo" badge to please 14 inch. i mean, it does have two turbos after all.

went for a long drive it with a buddy who is into trucks and he gave it high remarks. he even called it fast. one thing is for sure, i am going to get so stuck with this thing someday when i overestimate my wheeling skills and the cars clearance.

oh, and i am researching getting it wrapped in "holdbrooks" orange

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
jeg tar meg en kopp kaffe og ser på jeg

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Don't push buttons on the electronic games at resteraunt tables. They charge you for that poo poo. Fuckers. I showed them tho I ripped the entire receipt roll outta that bitch.

You truly are a ray of sunshine arent you...

A friend of me asked me over to test a bottle or two of his homebrewed IPA, ha had tapped 28 bottles.

now he has none. i walked home because taxis are for other people. i also peed at a stop sign

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
This cancer thing has made me a lightweight, i am so hung over its kinda funny

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

meatpimp posted:

Wait... what did you do the the old girlfriend?

Back garden, dont tell

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
my life just got complete. me and my crew got told to smash the windows of a van and run the hoses trough it to the hydrant he had parked in front of. It felt like we where on chicago fire or something.

He had parked so loving close and his sprinter was so long that going around was going to delay the effort. even better when it turns out that the smoke filling the basement we responded to was just leaking oil in a compressor.

i have four more weeks of full duty rooster before i take a 3 month break for my final chemo. loving it

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Cage posted:

You should've taken a picture, it would've been internet famous.

We where told not to take pictures of the aftermath because the owner was kinda of...angry and the chief tried to avoid escalation....

i know he took a picture for the paper tho. ill see if i can get it

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
My god, i just got great news about our little consultant firm.

ill save you the wall of text, but is going to be real fun. we are hiring 8 more people and have signed a major contract with a contractor that spans for 36 months

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

mariooncrack posted:

2015 has been one crazy year for you hasn't it?

It has, except for that small "12 weeks of chemo" thing i think it will end on a high note.

The business thing really is not my doing. We had a firm contact us based on our work for them telling us that if we wanted to be their retained fire safety guys they would hire us. but we had to scale up to handle the load. Cue one of my partners making this insane plot for us to hire 8 laid off engineers from the oil biz, applying for goverment grants to support making jobs in a difficult market and also hiring 2 techs for systems installations, contacting the unemployment people and getting them to find us four more techs who have fallen out of the market and having the goverment paying their salary for a year for us to find out if we can support having them on.

and he got this poo poo done in 4 weeks. he deserved that bottle of whiskey i got him yesterday.

it insane, 3 months ago we where 3 partners and one employee. buy the end of next month we will have 15, and will probably have to hire someone to do all the admin poo poo aswell...

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Just as a sort of feeler. My wife is maybe getting a fellowship at an american hospital for two years starting in august next year. anyone have any idea what i would do for employment in the states? and does anyone have any for where to live when she will be working in maryland/baltimore?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

ssjonizuka posted:

Jesus man, talk about upheaval.

Maryland? I'm sorry. :v: I'm guessing Hopkins, because that would be awesome, IMO.

I'm not as familiar with that end of the state, but really, stay as far away from Baltimore as you can, and it shouldn't be quite so bad. Can't really help on the job front, as I suspect you'd have to get licensed to do some of the same type of consulting that you just ramped up and that's likely to be a really big hassle and dealing with the differences between code standards, etc. would be maddening, but not impossible.

Is hopkins and shock trauma the same thing?

She really wants this, because it is really hard to get mass experiance as a trauma surgeon in Norway due to people being less shooty-stabby and this is the woman who put her career on hold to care for me the first six months of cancer treatment, after having to pause her training for the pregnancy and taking an additional year off due to the twins. The consultant firm can run without me, i am just a partner. I am checking via the firehouse if i can possibly work as a firefighter doing some sort of work exchange... the economics would not be impossible if i cant work, but i would probably go bonkers. we also sorta want to get it over with before the kids starts elemantary school in norway...

This girl has sacrificed so much for me, and our family that if we can make this happen... its happening...

she can probably do the fellowship at other hospitals too, would be cool to end up in an area with some ai goons

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

mariooncrack posted:

I think he's referring to John Hopkins, a famous hospital.

Aha, after asking the waifu i get it, shock trauma is the ER of University of Marylands hospital, and john hopkins is another hospital

she is also talking about a hospital in New York, and on in the bay area... i know what i would prefer

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

The Locator posted:

There are plenty of first-rate trauma centers all over the US, so I guess it just depends on what sort of trauma she wants to learn about and deal with. For shooty/stabby stuff the Baltimore area would be pretty good, but of course you live in shooty/stabby land. The trauma centers in Phoenix are very busy, but more weighted to traffic accidents, and work injuries, although there are a fair number of fight/shooty/stabby stuff injuries too.

Personally if I was coming to the US and had my choice on where to go, it would be San Diego, just because the weather is pretty much perfect all year round, and the bay exists, where sailing is perfect almost every day.

Not sure if we could handle san diego weather, where we live we have 242 days of rain in a good year. couple of years ago we had 98 days of rain straight

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

nm posted:

Come to Northern California. We have race tracks, no winter except one you can drive to, and places to bike in december.

Also we can be shooty-stabby.

Edit: it hasn't rained much this year, but in theory it normally does in some parts.

She is checking where her hospital has connections, baltimore was kinda like her wet dream workwise. but a nightmare living wise

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
looks like we have four options plus one long shot (she has applied for a fellowship at that hopkins hospital in maryland, i understood on her that i she gets it that is option #1) baltimore, NY,California or Austin,TX. these are the hospitals that her hospital have deals with when it comes to doctor training things.

I have told her that she picks what she wants, and we will make it work. but i so admit that norcal sounds amazing.

i am so getting a muscle car for golf money when we do the move...

my FD have had training and visits with FDNY before. and we have a "sister house" in NY. I have gotten the contact info for a dude there for possibly getting some sort of deal where i work for free for an american FD. and get a percentage of my pay from norway, in trade for signing a 4 year deal.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I paid 6 bucks for a gallon of diesel today. and you guys wonder why i drive a EV...

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Phone posted:

There are a few people here where it is useful (see: STR being a pizza driver), but burning calories over regional gas prices? Eh, who cares.

I dont really pay attention, but i hadent filled a tank since i got the tesla. so i sorta noticed the raping...

on the other hand, we used 25l of diesel to start a controlled burn on a condemned hut today to get the new rookies some flashover experiance. poo poo was awsome...

one of our probies is also close to the limits for mistakes you can do without getting told to not show up..

this time he was unable to cut pieces of his crewmembers tho, unlike last weeks extraction drill

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
so bored at work, is there an ai irc channel?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
i like #newenglandai

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Grats on the new job

this webclient for irc kinda sucks. but i am too dumb to get limewire to work

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Sigma X posted:

...limewire? Why aren't you just using mIRC or something?

because mac i guess?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

i am too dumb i think, i put in synirc.net, and when i press join room nothing happens...

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Ideling at work is expensive, agreed to meet a dude who is selling an impreza wagon...

i just want a car i can work on, i miss working on stuff

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
one day in #neai and i allready got infected...

2001 wrx, unmolested and in decent condtion. pics are from the seller who is a friend of my brother... i get to hoon around and play with car legos

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

ilkhan posted:

You don't even live in new England, what is this.

Also you buy a lot of cars. I'm jealous.

This is sorta because i want something to wrench on, and kinda because i wanted something to hoon around in the snow with. i might want to do some autocross aswell.

and it has a wing, and a scoop

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
picked up the subie on my way home from work, i had to wrestle some temp plates out of the dmv eqviv. it drives....suprisingly well and it got no major issues. but a lot of things that should be done to prevent poo poo..

One of my kids is sick today so i am fairly limited, but we changed the oil (and got a new oil drain plug) because the PO had rounded it like a boss. i also removed some questionable stickers from the dash. i have ordered a set of bushings, the car drives like it needs them replaced. but i will wait for my battery powered impact to show up before i do it. The clutch is also worn to the point that it needs to go aswell.

god drat my wife is crossed with me for this poo poo. but i love my little subie..

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Adiabatic posted:

Looking for new roommates, I put an ad up on Craigslist.

Vince sounded cool and super excited over text.

Vince in person is a late 40s methy looking fellow with a missing tooth, and plenty of stories about his bitch of an ex-wife and his equal bitch of an ex-girlfriend. Seriously we spent at least 20 minutes with him ranting about drama in his life and me sitting there nodding.

This is why you meet potential roommates at Starbucks.

when does he move in?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
VW counterpoint...

i drove my vw to the dealer to get a code fixed, and ended up with it needing all new turbo piping...

i guess its not really a counterpoint.

atleast the subie works great :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Right, that loving does it....

I AM POSTING A PICTURE OF DOGGE

• Locked thread