Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So I forgot who recommended the book "Poorly Made in China" but I just binged it. While not a milestone in the literature, it was pretty entertaining and worth a read. Also slightly scary, I'm ready to dispose of a few choice items in my household right about now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
XKCD meets AI:

(And, yes, xkcd allows hotlinking.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Even the most menial of tasks are thread worthy with a few good pics and decent narration, IMHO.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
God damnit, coworkers, stop licking your loving fingers while at the lunch buffet. Why do you need to lick them in the first place? I'm going to spike the purell with a bitterant from the devil's taint if you keep this up.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is there somewhere where goons talk about GPS units? Looking to upgrade my trusty rusty Garmin, but can't make any sense of Garmin's product numbering.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

I can't straight up import it, sadly, as the B4 model sold locally was effectively the same, so it's banned from import.

Can you elaborate on this? You're in Australia?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Go troll somewhere else. Although you're slipping up; I noticed a few capitalized letters in your post.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I also asked about the validity of dashcam footage as proof of anything, and she recommended that I make a copy and keep that, just in case push comes to shove, since there were no witnesses. The insurance lady said she would look into whether it can actually be used, but I should definitely keep it for now. I was actually surprised by this, since I had always heard it was basically worthless as proof of anything here, unless your camera is police-grade and regularly inspected.

Very interested in what you find out re: legality of private dashcam recordings around here. I'm still on the fence about getting one.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Prices were cheap this morning, so got my fix of 99 octane V-Power for just shy of USD6 per US gallon as well.

I've suppressed the memory, but I'm pretty sure I've paid over 7.50, maybe even 8 in the past.

Although the majority of the tax portion of the price is fixed, so when the price of crude triples, it only results in a modest price increase here. A kinda backwards way of finding an upside to heavily taxed fuel.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

V-Power is like the biggest :flaccid: out there, unless you drive something with aggressive turbocharging or super high compression.

</buzzkill>

Agreed, but my engine gets noticeably fewer spurious misfires at idle with it than without. Google "118i ruckeln" for all the fun info. I haven't been able to find a solution, but I'd love to hear about one.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a weird issue, I would suspect the coil pack or something, but obviously you've already thought of that.

Oh, I have tried all three(!) revisions of the CoPs for this engine to no avail.

I personally think it's the injection patterns that are tuned to run extra lean at idle for fuel economy reasons. I would think that due to wear of some component, there wasn't enough margin designed into the setup, and hence...

It's worst in summer, weirdly enough.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Can't prove that he was actually scamming, and he was probably using an anonymous pay as you go phone card.

I could have asked for the account number he wanted the money transferred to, but I didn't think of doing that until after I hung up.

So, any way he'd be able to find the VIN? Did you publish it online? How did he make the connection between the VIN and your phone number? (Scammer or not.)

I've heard stories about guys being offered back their stolen mountainbikes like that. In this case we was supposed to send several thousand in cash in with a taxi as courier to some address... he politely declined.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

...and as both Germans and engineers, they should feel bad.

iDave, please never stop posting.

(Happened upon the chassis plates for your old landie last night in the basement. Gave me a good chuckle.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's two thousand and loving fifteen and my four man project group is currently failing at manually coordinating who updates the project status shared word doc when. The only consoling factor is that it isn't an Excel sheet. I weep a single tear as I hug my Trello board.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is there a god damned iOS app for god damned imgur that'll let me upload a pic to my personal imgur "account" from my god damned camera roll? That shouldn't be hard, nor an unreasonable request in this day and age.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Oh, think I got it working. What the hell imgur. I can just grab the bbcode off of imgur, I just want to be able to go directly from phone -> imgur for the photo transfer.

Finally got my GPS install done. Garmin Nüvi 2789LMT in the official BMW tray thing. Hardwired in with a 12V->5V USB. Turns off and on with the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Right here buddy!

• Locked thread