Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Damnit. Fitbit is almost dead - the band is separating from it, and apparently on the Charge, it's just glued onto the device itself, and not user replaceable. The band is actually starting to split.

Good thing I bought it online, and never delete emails - thus, I still have the receipt to show that it's in warranty.

scuz posted:

Got a coupon for a cheaper-than-I've-found-elsewhere alignment at a Firestone down the road a bit. I can't wait until they do the inspection of the car and give me the list of things that need fixing so I can do them myself :clint:

Mom took her car into NTB to get a tire rotation. A very grim-faced service advisor told her that her brakes are in horrible shape, and handed her a quote for $1200, and claimed the car isn't safe to drive.

With a 30% off coupon I found online, I can get everything I need at Advance Auto for $115 + tax. We knew the back brakes were almost to the backing pads, but the rotors in the back are fine. The front brakes still have plenty of meat on them, but the car shakes while braking, so it needs rotors up front (may as well do the pads at the same time). They also wanted to do a brake system flush (... fluid in it is a year old), cooling system flush (... done 50k ago, OEM Toyota long life fluid), and the invoice showed double labor charges for the front brakes, a charge to resurface the front rotors, and a charge for new front and rear rotors.

That $115 is for all 4 rotors + both sets of pads. They wanted $600 just for parts. And were double billing for labor on several things.

I've driven the car plenty. It does need brakes sometime soon, but it's safe to drive (nothing is grinding, it doesn't pull, it just shudders under heavy braking, so definitely needs front rotors). It needs struts after the brakes, it's definitely a bit floatier than it used to be - but it's a full size sedan with almost 150k, so that's to be expected.

Magnus Praeda posted:

I went to the ER about a month ago for what I thought was a heart attack and ended up being a panic attack. poo poo's scary, yo. The worst part is that I calmed down about five minutes after they stuck an IV in me.

Like Noise Complaint said, :10bux: said they snuck some Ativan into the IV. 2mg of that via IV will calm you the gently caress down, but you won't be very coordinated for a few hours.

* Source: had IV Ativan several times. It's a gift of the gods for panic attacks.. along with alcohol withdrawal.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry for the doublepost. Walked out of work for my first delivery today and....

:fuckoff:

Walked into the restaurant a few doors down (the 2 spots between them and where I work are vacant), asked the owner if he knew who was driving that truck. Guy at a table behind me piped up and said "I am". Asked him if he could please move his truck so I could get in my car, he just said "I was able to get out fine, you should be able to get in fine". Informed him that the side rails on the flat bed were blocking my door from opening more than a couple of inches (my mirror hit it before I could open it wide enough to even get a leg in), he said I must have parked over the line, so I showed him that picture and repeated my request.

He apologized and moved it so it would take up 2 spaces (our parking spaces are loving tiny, my right wheels were almost on the line on the other side). I'd rather he take up 2 spaces instead of try to squeeze into a space meant for a smaller car - that restaurant attracts a lot of contractors, construction types, etc, so there's always big trucks and trailers being parked in the lot. They (almost) always manage to park without blocking anyone in. It's a pretty big lot, especially for how many vacant spaces there are (about 1/3 of the strip center is empty). Still wondering why he parked in front of my workplace when the place he was eating at is 3 doors down though, and most of the lot was empty.

Wondering how he didn't take my mirror off parking that thing - I watched him back it into that spot (... could have just pulled through from the other side, next row was completely empty).

And before you suggest I get in from the passenger seat - hell no, the interior is too cramped to do that without pulling multiple muscles, plus that would have meant trying to drag the pizzas in behind me (the back seat is too small for them to really be back there, they flop over on their sides onto the floor if I brake hard or take a turn anything faster than a snail).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

"You're the only driver tonight but don't worry, its been slow all day." Three hours and 18 deliveries later... :suicide:

Tips were poo poo too since everything was like an hour late. Kinda wish theyd just pay me like 12-13 bucks an hour and get rid of tips entirely. Would really take the hurt out of nights like tonight where I get nothing because we were short staffed and falling behind. God forbid pizza hut spend any money on their employees though. Cheaper to train a new guy when people ragequit i guess.

I've managed to hit 7 an hour at the Hut - last week actually, and the area manager was asking my boss "how the gently caress did he do that?". It wasn't a nonstop 7 per hour, but it showed up in the driver logs as "Best per hour: 7". The fact that I actually nailed 7 in an hour was shocking, especially given the size of our area. I know our area really well, use voice recognition for Google Maps, and I know plenty of shortcuts. I managed a couple of triples that day too, which helped - triples are normally OH gently caress NO, but they were all going the same direction, and all needed to be delivered 10 minutes ago when I left. I generally average 5 an hour during a decent rush, but if the stars line up right, I can hit 6 or 7.

24 deliveries in 5 hours, walked out the door $130 richer.

My record per hour was 11, but that was at Papa John's, in a much smaller delivery area, and walking out the door with all 11 at once (and driving like a loving idiot, ways I would never drive again - had several drivers quit in one day, and welp...). 54 orders that day, that's my record at PJ's. My record at PH so far is 48, but that was during a pretty nasty ice storm, and it was basically an open to close shift (I left 30 minutes before normal closing - we actually closed at 7, just so we could catch up, and because several drivers wrecked their cars trying to drive on ice).

There's no excuse to schedule 1 driver for a dinner rush, even in a slow store, except for opening shifts on slow days. I'm the only driver from open until 4 or 5 on Monday, Wednesday, and some Thursdays (I'm off Sundays and Tuesdays). Fri, Sat, Sun we run 2 opening drivers (3 in the summer on Sat/Sun). On Saturday I was scheduled for a short shift (5-9), wound up staying until nearly close (we close at 12 on Fri/Sat, I clocked out at 11:30) and walked out with about $70.

Today sucked though. Just a slow day in general, 9 orders from 10:30 to 5. I usually have 15+ in that shift, and I got stiffed twice. My store is a slower store in my franchise (still close to a $1M/yr store, and my boss has a bet with the owner about building a brand new store once he breaks $1M/yr - this store is nearly 30 years old and in bad shape), but I have a manager that refuses to schedule less than 3 drivers for evenings, and consistently schedules me as his primary opening driver because he knows I know how to.. uh.. shall we say, get poo poo delivered fast without getting pulled over, and also knows I'm very good with smoothing things over with customers. He trusts me with his password for the point of sale/FMS, as long as I don't go in and gently caress with schedules or money. The only time I touch anything financial is to correct a tip entry, or verify a drop for someone (we require a non-manager to verify drops for managers), or if a safe/till count is coming up funny (which happens really often with one manager in particular). I'm also often cashing other drivers in and assigning orders to them - basically I do a lot of what a level 1 shift manager does, but without the pay (and I can say "hell no" if I'm not comfortable with something, and I'm pretty much never on the make table - I do everything else though).

One thing that may or may not help you - call your customers when you know you're going to be late, especially if you're in the store and already know it'll be late (that way you can call from the store phone instead of your personal phone). My GM usually does this, but if we're super busy (aka the GM is the only one in the store), I'll call them myself from my cell once I'm on the way, apologize for running late, make up something about the kitchen running behind, or a driver calling in sick, and give them an accurate ETA. If I get voicemail, I leave a polite message saying "Hi, this is STR from Pizza Hut, it's about <x time>. Just wanted to apologize for running late, but I should be arriving in <y minutes> with your order. If you need to contact me in the next few minutes, my number is <google voice number that I called from>. See you in a few." (I always call from my GV number, that way I can block them if they start calling me and getting bitchy days later, which has happened to me before when I worked at Papa John's). If they get bitchy, ask your manager if you have authority to offer a credit for their next order - the point of sale system has the capability to do so as long as the next order is with the same phone # (and will even apply it toward internet orders).

One thing that helps - if I'm calling from the store, my GM will offer them a free 2 liter, cookie, brownie, etc to help smooth things over. He's given me the authority to do the same. If I forget a drink, I'll often bring 2 to make up for it (you will forget drinks sometimes, it's a part of it - sometimes I'll run by a corner store to get one if there's one close, and I have a standing agreement with the GM that I'll just take a drink home with me when I do that, even though he's willing to reimburse me... don't want him paying for my fuckup).

Biodome posted:

Can I pull the smallest U-Haul trailer with a Chrysler 200C? Or do those require a truck at the minimum? Anyone know a trailer that a sedan can pull?

Your owner's manual will tell you what you can and cannot pull. Probably the sticker on the drivers door jamb as well (it may be on the door itself, but near the physical latch).

In the US, cars are often downrated in towing capacity for some reason, compared to their overseas versions. In any event, it's fairly likely it can pull a very small trailer, but you'll have to get a hitch installed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

And then there were two.

My aquarium has been getting ignored for far too long. Especially since the light crapped out a few weeks ago. New light (LED this time) showed up today, and.. holy poo poo, algae bloom can happen without much light?! Some of that red-orange algae is on the glass too, and it's a bitch to get rid of.

Saw only 2 fish swimming around, but one has always kind of hidden. Started vacuuming the bottom of the tank, and... oh.. there's the third one. Well, what's left of it. Looks like the poor guy has been gone for a few days.

These fish are coming up on 7 years old though. Started out with 5 or 6.

Looks a lot better after scraping the algae off the glass and vacuuming it up, but I'm still going to have to do more scraping and another water change I think. Especially since I plan to go ahead and restock with some more tetras so that the two remaining aren't so lonely. Thinking of adding a live plant again as well.

Great Beer posted:

We had another guy, but we were over on hours last week (having appropriate staff levels now counts as over) because we were cleaning the store for an upcoming health inspection. So he got cut for the night so the area coaches excel spreadsheet would look better. Thanks buddy!

I feel bad for the gm. They're threatening to fire her because someone keeps stealing 2 liter sodas and she hasn't caught them yet. We have no security cameras and the ac won't pay anyone to install any. She's the hardest working person in the store by a wide margin and it's going to collapse without her.

Your store has a terrible area coach. They're supposed to lead by example (Pizza Hut's own words), not tyranny (my words).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's not an AI chat thread without a cat. A cat that needs to go on a diet. :catstare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not all accident shows up on Carfax.

I rearended someone in my old Accord, then a year later it was totaled by vandalism. Carfax still shows it as having a clean title and no incidents beyond failing emissions once (passed on the same day 20 miles later, so I guess they'd just replaced the battery).

Computer bitching: I got sick of Windows 10, and chose the "Downgrade back to Windows 8.1" option. Well, it downgraded fine. It boots fine, but Explorer.exe (the desktop) never loads. I even tried launching it from task manager, tried opening a cmd.exe windows and launching it from there, tried safe mode.. nothing. No desktop ever comes up.

Thankfully my desktop runs the same version (8.1 Pro w/Media Center), so I made a USB recovery drive from that. Figured I'd be able to use startup repair, but it didn't do poo poo. And it looks like Windows 10 removed all of the system restore images. :argh: So it looks like I get to play some command prompt shenanigans and see how much more I can break it. At this point, worst case, I reinstall on top of the existing OS and do it as an "upgrade".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

install gentoo

I'd love to, but this laptop absolutely has to run Windows due to ~school poo poo~.

If you can find me a way to install a reasonably lightweight RECENT Linux distro on my Chromebook without having to boot ChromeOS first though, I'm all ears. (or if someone wants to buy a Chromebook, I'm also all ears) CruBuntu was a miserable failure on it, with constant CPU temp warnings and nonstop disk thrashing. Most other replacements seem to run as a VM within ChromeOS.

Raluek posted:

What, you installed an untested new OS without taking a disk image first? :newlol:

Out of curiosity, what did you hate about Win10? It seems like a pretty solid improvement over 8.1 to me. Not sure yet if I like it better than win7, though.

Yes and no. I upgraded to a SSD shortly before installing Win10 (and just cloned the existing install), and have the original HDD sitting on my desk. So I literally have a physical disk sitting here, with the original install + all of my data/software on it, except it's about 3 weeks out of date. I've been on a medical leave of absence from school for over a month at this point, so it's not like I'm losing anything if I swap back to the original drive.

Honestly, I really like Win10, it just seems a lot more sluggish on my laptop than 8.1 did, and I've had a few BSOD's. Laptop is a low to mid range consumer laptop, but with a little more RAM - i5 dual core (think it's an Ivy Bridge), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD.

I gave up trying to downgrade back to 8.1 though, and just reinstalled 10 as a clean install. All of my VMs are still there (buried somewhere in Windows.Old), and I really didn't have anything (beyond the VM images) that wasn't already backed up to OneDrive. From what I've heard, at least from friends who have upgraded (including IT pros), lots of upgrades have had issues with BSODs, but were easily fixed with a clean install.

My only real annoyance with 10 is there's no Windows Media Center. I have 6 TV tuners on the LAN, and have all but eliminated cable boxes in the house (gently caress paying :10bux: a month per TV for a basic cable box, more if I want DVR service). I have no way to use them with 10, unless I find a channel marked "copy freely" (and TWC marks everything "copy once" except for OTA stuff). So my desktop, along with a couple of other PCs in the house, will be forever stuck on either 7 Home or 8.1 Pro w/Media Center. WMC is ancient, but it's drat good at live TV and DVR stuff. Pretty pissed WMC is removing Netflix support in a couple of weeks, that means I'll probably be forced to get a Roku for my bedroom. Or just use the Chromecast to cast it to the TV, but the picture quality isn't nearly as good that way.

Slight distraction: I wonder if I can use my Win 8.1 Pro + Media Center keys on another PC now? The laptop originally shipped with Windows 8 Home, then I got an upgrade to 8.1 Pro (free thanks to Dreamspark), then bought the Media Center pack. I have a spare 8.1 Pro + Windows Server 2012 key either way, but I'd like to keep the 8.1 key available for another PC (I was hoping to reuse my Pro + Media Center pack key on my mother's PC - she also uses her PC as a TV, except with a single monitor instead of 3). I've found MS gets bitchy about how you use Media Center keys once they've been used on one PC.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 2, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fitbit has already shipped a replacement Fitbit Charge for me. All of this over a wrist strap that's separating from the actual device. It's a shame they didn't make it so that you could replace the strap (like you could with the Fitbit Flex). I'm sure they have a ton of warranty replacements over this exact issue, and Google suggests it's a very common problem. They don't even want the old one back, just said I should find a company that recycles electronics. A+ on customer service, C on design though.

I'll probably patch it up with some superglue and give it to my mom; her phone is too old to work with it (it doesn't support Bluetooth Low Energy), but the USB dongle will work with her PC. She's not nearly as active as I am, but she wants a pedometer, and also wants a way to track her sleep. :perfect: I'll just have to set the wrist (dominant/non-dominant) from my phone before I associate the replacement with my phone. Anyway...

Got to work today. Notice an unfamiliar car where my boss's car normally is. Walk into work. Boss is there. That's unusual enough on a Wednesday, he's usually off. The usual Wed opening manager doesn't have a car.

"You get a new car?"

Boss: "I totaled my car on Sunday, that's a rental"

Me: "What happened?"

Boss: "Do you want the story that everyone else has, or do you want the truth?"

.... I got both stories. AFAIK, the only people who have the true story are me, his wife, and his parents. I'm in the store with him more than anyone else generally is, so I guess he trusts me more than most others. I don't exactly plan to tell anyone either story, I'll just shrug and say "I heard he got in a wreck" if someone asks.

The truth involves alcohol and blackouts. We'll leave it at that, and be glad nobody got hurt. He's in a rental that his insurance is covering for the next week, and getting enough for his high mileage econobox that he should have a decent down payment for something a bit nicer/newer. Hates having to go into debt for another car, but he just finished paying off all of his debt, so it's kind of a wash. And he's considering rehab; I've seen how he can drink (we worked together at a now-closed restaurant that also had a full bar), so it might do him some good if he actually goes through with it. I've done the rehab game before (and I'm currently doing outpatient rehab), so I can at least give him suggestions if he wants it.

Picture from work that will likely make Motronic say :wtc: out loud. Apparently you can ground a phone system that has a dedicated ground connection to a ground block screwed into wood (the phone system is connected directly to a punch block, with no dmarc outside, so it's safe to assume the punch block is the dmarc... or at least functioning as one, there's just one giant bundle of wires coming out of the ground and going into the building).

CharlesM posted:

Last time I used the Windows Media Center Netflix app it was buggy as poo poo. Have they updated it in the past 5 years?

Not much. They ironed out some bugs, but it's never supported surround sound properly, and its EOL is Sept 15th. As in it's supposed to disappear from WMC by then, not the usual "EOL = no official support".

mariooncrack posted:

Sounds like you're better off doing a clean install if you can.

That's what I wound up doing, except with 10. I figure I'm going to have to learn it eventually anyway. The only important stuff on the laptop are my virtual machines, which are still on the drive - just need to install VMWare again.

I do like how once it's been activated, you never have to enter a serial again, as long as it's being installed on that same machine (it'll ask for a key during installation, but self-activates once it matches your machine's profile to whatever WGA poo poo there is these days). But if you haven't actually installed it, and you're using an upgrade from Win7/8/8.1, you're kinda hosed, since you don't get a real key.

What pisses me off though - apparently my Office 365 key got cancelled. It was a free license from my old university (up to 5 PCs), and everything still installed on my desktop is still working, but I couldn't do a new install or even put in the key that I had. I suspect the copy of 365 on my desktop will also go into "reduced functionality" mode soon. :sigh: Really irritating is the fact that I used that same key 6 months ago on the same laptop. I mean, yeah it was free, and I haven't been to that school in 2 years, but damnit.. had to dig out my old Office 2010 license.

corn in the fridge posted:

hello everyone the weathers getting colder already but I'm actually looking forward to autumn this year for some reason

We only hit 94 today - I spent most of my opening shift (delivery) driving with the sunroof open.

Have a little bit of a sunburn on my neck from that, but it was a really nice day. Hot enough that I needed the a/c, but not hot enough to have it on full blast (I had to turn the fan down to low at stops, otherwise I got too cold).

I was down to just two black finned teteras in my aquarium. I've been trying to get back into the hobby... added 5 of the same fish today, and a few corydoras. Hopefully I didn't add too much at once, but it's a long-established (almost 10 years) aquarium, and it's a reasonable, if not smaller, size (20 gallon). The tetras, even the two old bastards, are schooling and really moving around. Added one live plant as well. One of the corys tried to kill itself by attaching itself to the filter inlet, I had to turn the flow all the way down to make sure the suicidal ones don't try that again.

tl;dr it was a good day, and I'm in a decent mood. And I'm also looking forward to autumn. I'm especially looking forward to getting a decent bike and hitting some of the lesser-known trails around here before it gets cold; maybe I can find a decent Trek on Craigslist soon. Even if I don't, I really, really want to start jogging/running/hiking again. There are so many nature preserves around here, and plenty of hiking within even 30 minutes (tons more if you don't mind driving an hour to two hours; two hours puts you in Oklahoma if you're going north). There's a Greenbelt off of US-380 that I've biked from one end to the other, and back again, before - I don't know how the gently caress I did that in the middle of July, and wound up pretty dehydrated, but I survived it. I want to be able to do that again, just when it's not 100 outside. It's about 10 miles each way.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 3, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry IoC. Megapost, since I haven't been on a PC since yesterday, and I figure it's rude to post 10 replies in a row instead of one long megapost.

So I got 8 new fish yesterday - 5 tetras, 3 corydora catfish. Apparently I've forgotten a lot about aquariums, and really should have tested the water first. I did a megacleaning of the tank - removed all of the algae buildup on the glass, did a vacuum of the gravel, and a ~25% water change. After a few hours of the new fish being in the tank, I found one of the corys stuck to the filter inlet. Thought it was dead, unplugged the filter to free him so I could get him out, and nope, he just wandered too close to it, and hauled rear end back to the gravel once nudged (I've ordered an intake sponge to eliminate the chance of this happening again).

Woke up today. Another cory is stuck to the inlet, and not looking good. Unplug the filter. Still stuck. Bump the filter, he floats up to the top upside down. Touch him a few times with the net. Yup, he's dead. Got a viking funeral.

Got home from work. See one of the two remaining corys still swimming around. Wonder where the other was. I knew the water quality was still iffy, so I start to do another 25% change. As soon as I bump some of the decor, the missing cory floats to the top belly up. Damnit.

One is left. I fully expect him to be floating in the morning. :sigh: There's actually a warranty on them, but I would get the new fish the same day, and it's obviously something with the tank - I don't want to kill more of them until I figure out what's going on. Did another ~25% change today, but I'm pretty sure removing all of the algae threw the whole tank off. So did adding 8 fish to an established tank that was down to 2 living fish (found the remains of a dead one a few days ago). So it's probably going through a cycle (since I removed all the algae, and washed a lot of the decor to get rid of algae), and I just need to buy a good test kit and figure out what's going on. I've neglected the tank badly for well over a year, so I really shouldn't be surprised. It didn't even have working lighting for over a month.

The tetras are doing great, at least. I know corys are a bit more sensitive to water quality.

And my boss totaling his car... his insurance gave him a lot more than it was worth - he's even surprised how much he got for it (slipping transmission, a/c was barely working, high mileage base model Kia Rio that had a/c, radio, and automatic as its only options, etc). His credit is better than mine was when I bought my car, but the best loan Carmax (the same location I got my car from) could get him was ... 25% APR, and only if he put $7000 down. :stonklol: That's worse than a buy here pay here lot (but would actually get him a recent car that hasn't been repo'd 20 times). I bought my car from the same lot almost 3 years ago, and they financed me in-house at 13.55% (which still sucks, but again, my credit was terrible), and the rate stayed the same with $0 down or $1500 down (I originally wanted to do $2000 down, including trade - they actually talked me into doing $1500 down and using the rest to pay a couple of months on my car insurance and set aside a bit for food; the salesman knew the $2k [including my trade] was every penny I had).

A local Kia dealer advertises that their cars start at $9995. He went to check them out. It was a Rio that didn't even have a radio, or air conditioning, and they keep exactly one of them on the lot just so they can legally advertise "We have cars starting at under $10k!". The reliability of the Kia he just totaled has also left a really bad taste in his mouth about Kia in general. Also, what the gently caress, no a/c in this part of the country?!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I went to sleep at 8PM last night and only got like 5 hours of sleep cuz of my boss' loud loving snoring. Get the hotel room to myself tonight tho so I should be able to catch some Z's.

I average about 5-6 hours of sleep a night, and wake up at least a few times to roll over (partly thanks to dog/cat visits). :colbert:

NitroSpazzz posted:

I was thinking about picking one of these up the other day. I'm mostly interested in using it to see the heart rate data during races but it may be handy for working out and tracking stuff.

Go for it, it's awesome. The Charge HR has come down in price to slightly above what I paid for my Charge (which doesn't track heart rate - I got it a bit before the HR came out). It's $135 shipped on Amazon right now; I paid $130 for my Charge (which is now ~$100). Just make sure your phone is new enough to support Bluetooth Low Energy (most Bluetooth 4.0 phones do). Even if it's not, it still has a display, and it comes with a USB dongle that will sync it to your PC.

If you have any medical issues that require carrying a medical bracelet/necklace/etc (like diabetes - i.e. me), there's a company that makes IDs that slide onto the Fitbit band as well (both Flex and Charge/Charge HR) - https://www.roadid.com. I got the interactive version of this, which lets first responders log into https://www.myroadid.com with the serial # and PIN on the tag to get your full medical history. Or, if you just want something to put on it as an ID with emergency contact info, they offer a version without the website info.

I have a stand-alone Bluetooth Low Energy heart rate monitor (... somewhere, I need to find it) that I use with Endomondo - I use it to track my HR while running/jogging. Since I'm out of shape, I keep the phone on my wrist with the display on when I'm using the HR monitor so that I can keep my heart rate in my target cardio zone.

And holy gently caress at that puppy - she's going to be massive.

CornHolio posted:

'99 F-150 4x4, $3500. My brother loved this truck. It was pretty big, 4.6L V8, Lariat. Had a locking toolbox in the back and a snap-on tonneau cover. Had a loving CB also. A/C was weak, drove bumpy but it may have been the tires. Pretty gnarly rust underneath. The frame itself wasn't bad, but out at the egde of the cab it was awful. The engine had a hole in the exhaust manifold (according to the seller) and the engine was surging at idle. Surged while we drove it too, seller said he was quoted $800 to fix. My brother liked the idea of using it for landscaping though.

Surging could be the fuel pump, IACV, or vacuum leak, or really any number of other things (I haven't worked on my stepdad's 5.4 version much). I don't know if the 4.6 was affected by the plastic manifolds cracking (and I want to say the 99 may have used a metal one? not sure), but if it had a vacuum leak causing it to surge, it would definitely have a CEL giving codes for a lean condition on at least one bank. And it would be deafeningly loud if it had a hole in an exhaust manifold.

That generation IMO drives pretty bumpy anyway; stepdad has a 2001 4x2 extended cab Lariat that I've driven now and then (usually borrow it when I have to move, also driven it trying to figure out various issues) - it's always been really loving bouncy when the bed is empty. Much bouncier than the 1992 version it replaced.

But $3500 for a rusted out 99? No. Just no. My stepdad's is valued at about that by KBB private party in "excellent" condition (I'd put it in solid "fair" condition - no rust, no major damage, but the center console cover is torn, CD changer is broken, has a small dent in the side of the bed, clearcoat is starting to peel; interior is fantastic aside from the center console - has about 130k, only issues it's had has been the fuel pump and some kind of electrical poo poo inside the transmission, he got it fixed for $300ish).

The snap on cover is nice, so is the toolbox, but he can find the same truck without mechanical issues for the same price.

ssjonizuka posted:

What's the go-to mSD card these days? the 32gb SanDisk in my current phone has been good, but I want more space for new phone.

Sandisk is my go-to for any flash storage. Flash drives, SD, microSD, etc.

I have a class 4 32gb SanDisk in my dashcam (due to reading reports of anything higher than class 4 having issues with this cheap dashcam), and a class 10 16gb SanDisk in my DSLR. Zero complaints with anything from them, and the one in the DSLR is fast enough to keep up with me shooting several 16MP photos in RAW back to back. If I shoot in JPEG I can just hold the shutter button until the card fills up (or the camera battery dies, since the card holds several thousand photos in JPG mode).

Cakefool posted:

Fitted an ariel in the attic last night, hardly str-level stuff but I got good reception on my first try so :feelsgood:

Hah. That was one of my first forays into the attic of this house, probably 15 years ago.

Since we had a shitton of blown-in insulation added years ago, once we got cable, the ariel has just been.. abandoned up there. Can't physically get to it anymore without playing "there's something solid to stand on here right?" game, and despite its massive size, it's absolute poo poo at picking up digital TV signals (the US switched off analog over the air signals years ago). I yanked the cable off of it from across the attic a few years ago and used that as a "new" cable feed when squirrels or some poo poo got into the attic and chewed up the original line. Then had to abandon that when we switched back to cable internet recently, as it was an older standard cable (RG59, I think) and my signal quality was poo poo. Tried to use it to pull new cable, but it got snagged and I didn't tape the new cable to it well enough. :doh:

One of these days, I would love to lay down flooring across most of the attic - partly to increase storage, partly so I don't have to crawl on my rear end across beams to get across the attic to run new wires. And partly so I can get that monster ariel out and take it to the metal scrapyard in town (and maybe get $5 for it, but I have a bunch of other poo poo I need to take over there too).

Fart Pipe posted:

So I finally got new tires for the 30k 97 Ram today. General Grabber AT2s because they have sweet looking treads and outlined white letters and were cheap as hell. I have a tire rack outlet near me so I order them this morning, blast over and pick them up and blast over to the place to get them put on. Im waiting all afternoon and Im stoked to get it back and wash the truck with my crispy new tires when I get home. I go to pick it up and pull up to see that they put the loving blackwalls on the outside. loving goddamn turd huffers, I told them I wanted the white letters on the outside. Now I have to go back tomorrow and get them swapped and waste more of my time. This is the same place that left half the bolts loose on my Subarus suspension when I got new bushings put in the trailing arms. So loving mad.

When I got my Altima, I always thought the tires looked weird. Also thought the speedometer read kind of high. Turns out it had smaller tires on it than it should have (I also found Sentra rotors - I think - on it when I did the brakes on it - the rotors were so much smaller that a good 1/4" of the brake pads hadn't worn at all).

Took it to get new tires when those wore out. Told them "it has the wrong size tires on it now, I want <x> size on it, which is what it came with from the factory". They said no problem, they had plenty in stock, etc.

Walk out when they're done.... they put the same size tires on it that were already on it. And had also charged me for road hazard when I specifically declined it. Went back inside, said "uh... you put the wrong size tires on, and I refused road hazard, but I got charged for it". At least it was Discount Tire, so they kicked the car to the top of the queue and got the right tires on within 30 minutes, and refunded the road hazard. Still caused my account to overdraft, but once the refund came through the bank reversed the NSF fees.

Best part is they had circled the (new) tire size on the invoice several times, and whatever tech installed the tires still ignored that and assumed "okay, grabbing the same size". At least they got it fixed the same day.

iwentdoodie posted:

He turns, stared at her, and then drops a massive loving deuce. Like human sized. He glares, twitches his tail, then walks away still staring at her.

I'm loving dying.

Edit: she's cleaning them now, he's following her and making a loud rear end scratchy meow noise every time she talks. I'm light headed and crying.

Most appropriate post/username combo ever. I had a cat that would do that if the litter box wasn't PERFECTLY clean. Or if you looked at him funny. Or if I let Squeak out (he'd attack Squeak constantly, so I kept them separated until I could rehome Karma - who was indeed quite a bitch).

Rhyno posted:

Cleaned up the ground, reset the ECU, CEL came back. Long Long Short.

Did it come back immediately, or only after you wound it out high enough to hit VTEC?

If it came back immediately, the solenoid screen isn't dirty, it's a wiring issue. I think (but I'm not positive) that the ECU checks it for continuity at startup, so if you did a real reset (one that requires disconnecting the ground cable then turning on something high draw - like the headlight switch, or stepping on the brake pedal to light up the brake lights), it's a wiring issue.

But you did reset the ECU by pulling the ground cable off the battery, right? Sometimes pulling the fuse doesn't do it, particularly if there's an aftermarket stereo (the ecu memory backup and radio constant +12V share the same fuse, some aftermarket radios supposedly have caps in them to keep them from losing memory during a brief power loss - such as disconnecting a battery).

And the alternator varies between DX, LX, CX, EX/Si (Si of that gen was a hatch with the EX drivetrain and possibly power windows/locks/maybe sunroof, IIRC?), body style, options, etc etc etc etc etc. No idea why. I think there's a difference in output, since DX lacks any power options, LX has some, EX could be optioned with ABS, had a power sunroof standard, etc so it got the beefiest one. AFAIK the only difference is the way they look and the actual output, and likely share the same plug? For some reason, Honda made alternator and brake parts completely different based on trim and options on Civics (even the transmission made a difference), it always made getting the right brake parts a complete bitch for my non-ABS 96 Civic EX coupe 5 speed with air conditioning (also for the identical option 95). The 96 was an early 96 MY build, the 95 was a very late 95 MY build, and finding a new alternator for the 96 took something like 6 or 7 trips to the parts store. Enough that I finally just yanked the alternator, taped up the wires, and drove to the parts store with the alternator completely removed (sitting in the passenger seat so I could take it in and match it up). Found out how weak the battery was that day. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 4, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

So I guess that's the scam carmax is running. 25% on a car loan, what in the gently caress. That's missed payments on a credit card rates.

I got a loan for a used car through my credit union. Wasn't hard, got a way better rate than wells fargo was offering.

The 25% was actually through Wells Fargo! Carmax refuses to finance him in-house. Whereas when I bought my car from them (again, the same location), nobody would approve me, so they financed me in-house at what was a reasonable rate for someone with terrible credit, IMO (ranged from 13.05% to 13.55%, depending on the term of the loan - I was approved for $0 down, and the APR didn't change at all when changed to a $1500 down payment). I'm guessing they may only offer in-house financing if nobody else will finance you - maybe? I can actually walk into any CarMax and make a payment via cash or debit, though I always do it online.

I told him he needs to either get a loan through USAA (since he's a member), or join a credit union. One dealer told him the reason he's getting such absurd rates is because several dealers have pulled his credit (apparently his TransUnion score dropped 70 points overnight, while Equifax and Experian have only dropped a couple of points), while Carmax told him "no, that's not right; several inquiries in a short amount of time for the same type of thing - if it's car, insurance, or mortgage - are generally grouped together to affect your score as a single hard pull" (and that's what I've always been told - I had 4 or 5 hard pulls from several car dealers before I went to Carmax for my car). He's thinking USAA will lock him into only using a USAA approved dealer, I don't think they can legally do that though?

Then again, I bought a $10k car and put $1500 down, while he's trying to buy a ~$25k car and put $3500 (the payout from his Kia) down. Can't blame him for wanting an upgrade from the base model Kia he wrecked (only options were automatic, a/c, and radio), but he's looking at stuff like fully loaded 3-4 year old Maximas, and loaded pickups. He does need something in the midsize to full size range (or a quad cab pickup), since he has a family of 5 including himself, but IMO, with his credit, and what he's trying to put down on it, I honestly think he'd be better off widening his search to include domestics (and even Korean), instead of strictly fully loaded Japanese stuff or fully loaded full size pickups. His base salary is only $35k/year, plus crappy credit, so...

e: for reference, he wants something "nice", and says the Sunfire he used to have (before it got totaled by someone trying to cut across 3 lanes of traffic into a toll booth, which resulted in both cars jamming into a space wide enough for one car) was the nicest car he's ever owned. My Saturn is also the nicest car I've ever owned in terms of options and first world creature comforts, and second best in terms of comfort (the winner on that one was my 01 Accord), but it's not the most reliable car I've owned. I can't really imagine how a J-body can be the nicest car a person has ever owned, but apparently it was new enough to have the same engine I have (2.2L Ecotec), had a sunroof, etc.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 4, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd have to look at a schematic to be sure; since the only thing that has changed has been the alternator, it's possible that an alternator for a different tier could cause an issue. Unlikely, since like you said, they use the same plug, but possible. What's your voltage at idle + 2500 RPM, and what is it with the car not running (key on, but engine off)? I think the ECU itself generally handles voltage regulation on OBD1 and newer Hondas?

It's been over 10 years since I played Legos Sponsored by Honda, so I'm completely out of the loop. The last time I played Honda Legos was with my 91 Integra.

fake edit: try removing the belt, resetting the ECU. and see if you still get a code.

fake edit #2: try completely disconnecting the alternator (unplug it, remove the battery cable from it, tape the poo poo out of the battery cable so it can't short on anything) and starting it, see if you still get the code. You'll have to disconnect the battery every time you make a change like this, but it'll help narrow poo poo down.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 4, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Try it again - that'll tell you if you knocked something loose.

Try to dig out your voltmeter, Honda ECUs are not fans of wacky voltages.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ssjonizuka posted:

That's what I have in my s4, and it's been pretty solid, but I got impatient last night and ordered a samsung 128 before leaving work for the day. I even paid a few bucks extra to get it from amazon as opposed to another seller, so if I have issues, meh.

Thanks man.

Honestly, Samsung is just as good when it comes to memory. SanDisk just specializes in flash storage, while Samsung makes all kinds of memory, from flash to RAM to ???.

The only brand of SSDs I'll buy is Samsung. Or Intel, but Samsung is a much better value.

scuz posted:

My favorite episode is still the one where they went to CTC Auto Ranch and had to get a car to a drag strip in like two days.

I used to live fairly close to CTC (across town). Wish I'd known about it when I lived in Denton, I'd pay just to be able to walk around the place and check out the cars (and take a camera).

Pick n Pull flipped their poo poo when they checked my bag when I was leaving and found a camera in there. Got a very stern "NO CAMERAS ALLOWED!!!!1!" lecture. Sorry, forgot it was in my bag. v:v:v

iwentdoodie posted:

Waiting on the 20k service for the Escape to be done.

There's a suuuuuuper religious couple in the waiting area, the poo poo about that clerk in KY came on the TV and he started muttering about "filthy atheists" in the same manner that Draco Malfoy muttered about mudbloods.

And this is when I go full super stereotypical gay. I already wear various forms of rainbows all the time anyway - used to wear a bracelet, but gave it to someone in my IOP group, so I'm doing a necklace now - so I'm halfway there anyway. :gay: It's only one more step to add a little swish to my walk and a lisp.

Might freak out the service writer a little though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Did you drive it hard enough to cause VTEC to engage? IIRC it kicks in around 5500 RPM on that ECU.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don't work until 5pm tomorrow, which means tonight is "stay up late" night.

Trying to binge on House of Cards. I had finished Season 1 awhile back. Looks like one of the friends that I loan my Netflix account to has watched all 3 seasons on a device that doesn't support user profiles, so it's kind of hard to keep track of what episode I'm on when I go a few days without watching.

Been awhile since I watched it, forgot how much it just sucks you in. :stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit. My phone finally crapped out completely - while using Google Maps. The infamous Nexus 5 power button issue - the phone just kept rebooting (since it thinks I'm holding the power button all the time) until the battery died.

Made finishing the delivery I was on real interesting.

Picked up a :20bux::10bux: ZTE piece of poo poo from Wal-Mart to get me through until I can afford a Nexus 6. "4G" my rear end, it pulls 2mbit (and the resolution is so low that the speedtest.net app can't even show speeds while testing). Making the purchase more fun is I had to pay for the phone in the electronics department, and while it was in a bag with the receipt visible through the bag, I still had the cashier running the self-checkout run up to me and ask me if I rang everything up (I picked up a couple of things and went through self checkout). Showed him the receipt for the phone and said they made me pay for it in the back. Then of course the alarm goes off when I walk out, so more of the same song and dance with someone else. :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 6, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

The N5 is such a solid phone otherwise, which makes it's power button issue just that more stupid.

I'm jumping ship next week for more expensive pastures. :toot:

Part of me wants to fix it, especially since I just put a new battery in it, but I'm not that great at soldering stuff that small (I really don't have steady hands). And I'm sure if I take it to some cellphone repair place, it'll be a $100+ repair on a phone I planned to replace soon anyway. :sigh:

I'll probably pop the back off and see if I can get the button unstuck - so I can power it on long enough to restore it to stock (or at least wipe it), then sell it as-is and mentioning "bad power switch - use it for parts, or replace the switch yourself".

I'm surprised this piece of poo poo ZTE supports Bluetooth low energy - it works just fine with my Fitbit. Which is honestly a surprise, given the fact that the camera is 2 MP and lacks a flash, the display is a laughable 3.5 inches, and the claims of "4G" on the box refer to HSPA+. It's actually fairly quick for such a cheap phone (dual core 1.2 GHz), but typing on it is an exercise in frustration due to the tiny screen. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there's no carrier bloat installed on it besides Lookout and an account usage monitor (don't need the usage monitor since my plan is unlimited everything).

e: lol looked up the specs, 320x480 screen.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 6, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

some texas redneck posted:

Part of me wants to fix it, especially since I just put a new battery in it, but I'm not that great at soldering stuff that small (I really don't have steady hands). And I'm sure if I take it to some cellphone repair place, it'll be a $100+ repair on a phone I planned to replace soon anyway. :sigh:

Kind of rambling here, but I just realized N5's with broken screens are going for less than $100 on both Amazon and eBay. If I can verify they have clean ESNs, it's tempting to snag one and just swap the motherboard over, since the power button is soldered to the board. I know it's an issue that'll eventually return, but I'm not scared of swapping the motherboard (and I already want to throw this ZTE piece of poo poo through the wall). I had it out when I replaced the battery (didn't have to come out, just wanted to see how easy it came out), so I'm not scared of swapping it. Only worried about getting one with a blacklisted ESN, since the IMEI/ESN follows the board.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

Doesn't seem like it's a good idea to fix a phone that you know you're going to replace.

How long until you think you can get the funds for a N6? It looks like they're clearing stock quickly.

If I push some bills back, Tuesday afternoon. If I'm responsible and pay bills on time, 2 weeks from Tuesday.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

Honestly H+ should be plenty fast for anything you typically do on a phone. I was in a similar situation back in May, the hand me down Note 3 I was using decided to have its sim tray fail and I had to have a phone because I was unemployed and spamming my resume. Ended up with a LG L90 (basically their version of the Moto G), which has no LTE modem. IIRC average download speeds were above 8 megabit up & down, although tower support for H+ in your area/on your carrier may be worse.

e: just powered the phone on and checked my speedtest logs from June, looks like it averaged between 8-10 down and 2-4 up.

Can be. It's apparently either saturated in my area, or they stole some bandwidth from the HSPA+ radios for LTE. I'm only getting 1-2 up and down.

I've hit about 25mbit on HSPA+ before, but that was a couple of years ago.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Why the gently caress does someone make a phone with Bluetooth 4.0 that can't stream music?!

gently caress it. Found a 2nd gen Moto X on Amazon (damaged box, so it's via amazon warehouse deals) for $240, plus a two layer case for :10bux:. Phone should be here Wednesday, case on Thursday. Its specs are a bit better than the Nexus 5, and it's a bit newer in terms of overall design.

e: and I can probably flip it for about what I paid for it whenever I want to get either a newer Nexus or a Moto X Pure.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 7, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I did the same.. don't need to wake up until 9:30, but I'm wide awake.

Lazy day, at least. Left the house once to go pick up dinner, spent most of the day just laying on the couch with a chest warmer purring (and occasionally head butting me or nipping me if I took my hand off of him).

It was too loving hot to do anything today anyway. At 11pm, it was still 89 outside. So glad we have ceiling fans through the house. Slept through a good chunk of the day, I'm hoping the 3 benadryls I took will knock me out soon.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If it wasn't for the Corvette badging, it's close enough that it could pass for a mid 90s Camaro interior. Shrink it a bit and remove the fancy climate control and it could even pass for a Malibu interior.

I like how they framed the Corvette logo (assuming from a car behind them, or something from the car positioned behind it) in the mirror though.

Interior quality (or even body quality) is something GM has never figured out, but they definitely know how to build an engine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn. Mini rant here. Boss knew it was Memorial Day when he wrote the schedule - knew it well enough that he took the week off. But didn't know it well enough to know he should schedule extra staff. We got demolished, and it was just me as a driver, and a fresh-out-of-training shift manager who was in tears at one point from all the angry customers calling and demanding to know why it's taking so long.

23 deliveries in 5.5 hours, and those deliveries covered portions of 4 different cities. :stonk: The only bit of my normal morning prep I got done was taking out the trash (usually I also make all the pastas for the day, make pizza sauce, and prep wings), then the poo poo hit the fan. I got the gently caress out of there once the evening drivers showed up, no way in hell was I staying for more of that (I stayed late as it is, and I wasn't about to tell the closing manager I didn't have IOP due to the holiday). Made some decent coin, but I was already feeling like poo poo from not eating all day.

Can't wait for my new phone to show up. This phone did somewhat redeem its shittiness a little though - the battery was only down to 28% when I left work, after using Google Maps all day. Nearly 3 hours of screen-on time, that's pretty impressive (then again, I guess it doesn't take much to power a 3.5" LCD). The N5 would have been recharged at least once and already almost dead again after that much use. I left work an hour and a half ago, and made a few calls since then, and it's only down to 25% now. It has an adorable little 1500 mAh battery in it...

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, but that's with a cup of tea (six sugars) in one hand and a bacon buttie in the other, yelling "ORRIGHT LUV" at a female corner marshal as you swerve to stop that minicab wanker behind you from overtaking.

This is just so stereotypically British that I can't stop giggling.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Risking opening a 55-gallon drum of worms here with oilchat, but which filters should I be using? (directed to the thread in general) Wix/OEM/anything-but-Fram? They're all within a few $ of each other.

I generally use OEM or Purolator, whichever happens to be on the shelf at WalMart.

Since my car uses a cartridge filter instead of a spin-on canister, I thought I'd try Fram - there's nowhere for cardboard in my filter, and no drainback valve for them to gently caress up, so I thought it was worth a shot. When I pulled it out during the next oil change, the filter had collapsed in on itself. :stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

drat, I didn't realize they made schedules that far in advance. :v:

(im sorry)

:haw::hf::downsgun:

They're :airquote: supposed :airquote: to be written at least a week in advance, and posted by Thursday (our workweek ends on Monday night). In reality, they usually get written Thursday or Friday, and posted Friday or Saturday.

Still a serious fuckup on his part, and he's going to have to answer to both his boss and the owner. Unfortunately, the opening manager will also have to answer to them, as I took two triples today (that's a huge no-no). Both of them meant the 3rd customer got their order a good 20-30 minutes earlier than they would have if I had to drive all the way back to the store, since I was already in their area, but the orders were still late as poo poo. I'll probably have to answer to them as well, since one of them was dispatched using my password. We have a huge delivery area, so when I took triples, it just so happened that the first 3 orders were going the same direction, and were all lined up along one road (... just split across 2 cities).

Since our delivery area is so big, we're budgeted labor for 1 driver for 3 deliveries per hour (corporate owned stores tend to have denser areas, and budget for 1 driver/4 deliveries per hour). I whacked 6 deliveries in an hour at least once today (according to the computer), and averaged 4 per hour through my entire shift, including the time I was in the store. I've hit 7 per hour once at this store, which had both the owner and area coach asking my boss "how the hell did he do that?".

mariooncrack posted:

Do you not have a car charger? I like to keep a power bank like this on hand:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...nker+power+bank

They've saved my rear end a few times before.

I did have one, but it crapped out. My head unit has a USB connection, but it only puts out something like 250mA. Something so silly that it can't even get the lovely ZTE phone to charge.

And the battery pack I was talking about is very similar to that - it's also Anker. http://www.amazon.com/Anker-10000mAh-Portable-External-Technology/dp/B009USAJCC/ I don't leave home without either that or a smaller ~2500 mAh no-name version.

Is this where I take a picture of a picture that stretches across 3 monitors? Because that's loving huge.

And take better care of your feet. :cripes:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 8, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

I've done 30+ deliveries in 6 hours of work twice in the last month with 8 done in an hour. Get on my level scrub. :P

(5 of these were done in a single stop, I'm not as awesome as I pretend)

My delivery area covers (parts of) 4 cities. :colbert:

(I've done 11 in an hour before at another store, but all on one trip)

Normally with the 'Hut, triples = writeup, anything more than a triple = termination of a manager, unless there's no way around them. Two of the triples I saw as "has to be done, otherwise everything else gets kicked back at least 30 minutes". The third I had lined up because I knew it would work, but we were caught up enough that the opening manager was like "no, hell no, I'm already going to get an rear end chewing as it is". Worked out for the best, they hosed up the order badly enough that it took TWO remakes to get it right (the 3rd try was coming out of the oven as I walked in the door).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 8, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Your area sounds like it's a lot nicer. Mine is about half 70s starter homes, the rest is really wide spread out stuff. Lots of former farmland (and current farmland). Covers primarily east Allen, part of Lucas, most of Parker, and a tiny tiny part of Plano.

We're giving serious thoughts to actually moving the store - the current store is old as hell (closing in on 30 years old), and poo poo is constantly breaking. It's also at the far western edge of our delivery area. We'd love to build a new store right in the center, once they finish some roads nearby. That will also allow us to serve all of Parker and most, if not all, of Lucas, instead of parts. I'd say 90% of our orders are east of the store anyway, very very little goes north or west (and the western boundary of our delivery area is less than 1 mile away). If it does move, it'll probably be in a year or so.

I really do like the orders way out to the eastern border of our area, even though it's a long drive - it's all flat here, but it gets me out of the city and into a half step above rural stuff. 2 lane roads with lots of curves, get a good look at the lakes while I'm driving on those roads too.

e: if I remember, I'll do a west to east video tomorrow when I go to pick up my paycheck. It goes from suburban to "burger stand in front of a ranch that also sells fresh steaks" to "hey cletus, you want some worms for that there fishin line? I got some chikin fried steak from yesterday too" pretty quick. I've never seen a street go from 2M+ houses to 30+ year old mobile homes in a block before working here :stare:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 8, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

New phone arrives tomorrow. The lovely ZTE included one of the 3-in-1 SIMs, and the new-to-me Moto X takes a nano-SIM, so I went ahead and had T-Mobile swap me over to the new SIM (couldn't do it online for some reason).

I was a little surprised/annoyed when I logged into the my.tmobile site and saw that my ZTE is shown as Refurbished. Oh well, it's a backup phone anyway, and it's going to get tossed into a desk drawer and forgotten about until I break another phone.

edit: wow, found out my employer (specifically, the owner of the franchise I work for) has been sued (and lost) before over what they pay their drivers...

Terrible Robot posted:

LOL I guess this is a bad time to mention that I adopted a pit-bull last week, and he's literally the sweetest, most well behaved dog I've ever had. My cats only took a day or two before they were chilling next to him like they had been friends since small times.

Personally I love pits. Super protective, and generally awesome family dogs.

I used to be really scared of them thanks to my mom. Then I became friends with someone who had both a pit bull and a boston terrier (she still has the boston, he's wayyyyyyyyyyyy up there in years - the pit died several years ago).

Her pit had a bark that would make you poo poo yourself when you knocked on the door, and she would be snarling at you from behind the door - given the neighborhood she lived in at the time (broke grad student), this was a good thing. As soon as the door was opened, you got knocked down by 90 pounds of pit bill and licked to death. Though if you didn't know her, she'd snarl if you got too close to her owner/my friend until you'd been there a couple of minutes (then she'd be trying to climb in your lap). The boston, on the other hand, would be yapping his head off at you and jumping straight up in the air.

Darchangel posted:

The gently caress? Are they not aware of the fact that every phone made since, oh, the '90s has a camera built in?

Canadian ones are unmotorized, right, and that's why you love them? They are on the RX-7s.
Supposedly the motorized ones have a lifetime warranty from Mazda. I just replaced the motorized bastards in my '90 RX-7 with early FC static belts (and trim. And headliner.)

Wellllll it was kind of a DSLR. I did wind up getting some artsy shots while I was there.

Honda/Acura also had a lifetime seat belt warranty around that time, but the dealers always try to get out of it by saying it's just on the belt (even though the warranty states it covers the entire power mechanism). Usually takes a call to Honda US to get it taken care of.

Darchangel posted:

So, we're doing a Disaster Recovery exercise here at work, or rather, at a Business Continuancy Center.
Started at 8 AM local. It's now 5:30 PM. Nothing has been restored, and there's no domain for my workstations to connect to (I'm the desktop workstation guy on hand.)

Soooo would you call the disaster recovery exercise a disaster? :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So my new phone showed up. It was an open box from Amazon Warehouse Deals. It was sold as carrier-neutral, unlocked.

... they sent me a loving SIM unlocked AT&T phone. Which means I can't toss a T-Mobile ROM on it to enable wifi calling or HD voice. Or root it, for that matter. And it has a bunch of AT&T bloat on it. AT&T is really good at making sure you can't unlock the boot loader.

Since it's from Amazon Warehouse deals, Amazon is supposed to handle the customer service. I contacted them expressing my displeasure at getting an AT&T device, and they said I "need to contact 'Amazon Warehouse Deals', as they are a third party seller on Amazon". Except the contact page on Amazon Warehouse Deals takes you to Amazon's own customer service pages. They suggested I order another phone and get it overnighted, they'll pay the difference in shipping, but the only credit card I have has a very low limit (it was maxed out by buying this phone), and I don't have the cash on hand to just order another phone. I had to cut my SIM to make it fit in this phone, so I can't exactly (nor do I want to) go back to the lovely ZTE I was using.

The way I see it, I bought a (open box) carrier-neutral phone from Amazon's open box/returns arm. They sent me an AT&T branded/ROM phone, but SIM unlocked to work on T-Mobile. The stock ROM is fantastic, but not being able to root it pisses me off, and also prevents me from installing Ad-Away. I'm also annoyed that I can't remove all of the AT&T apps from it, more annoyed that it shows an AT&T logo at bootup, and especially annoyed at the AT&T logo on the back. The only reason I didn't already return it is the AT&T version supports all of T-Mobile's frequencies (many, if not most, AT&T phones don't).

If it were a new phone, I'd be able to exchange it. But they're being a pain in the dick about exchanging it for one of the many phones listed as being sold under Amazon Warehouse Deals (which is part of loving Amazon anyway). Usually an Amazon exchange results in them sending you the replacement, then once you get the replacement, you send back the defective/wrong/etc item (if you don't send it back within <x> time, they whack your credit/debit card for the full amount of the replacement).

kastein posted:

haha, same. In fact this is my justification for buying a fixer upper.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees it was more of a "it needs to be torn down and burned for kindling, but gently caress it, I'm gonna fix it" purchase. :haw:

BraveUlysses posted:

So I'm finally going to update the cable wiring to RG6 and add cat6 to my house--should I run it in the crawlspace or in the attic?

Anyone know of any good comprehensive websites or books for DIYing this kind of stuff? Not sure if I really want to buy bulk cable and wire all the keystone jacks myself or maybe that's my only option?

Oh hey something I can actually relate to - I pulled new coax and CAT5E through the house this year. Still not completely done, but when is a home project ever "finished"?

Keystones are loving easy as long as you have a punchdown tool. And you can get some (crappy) ones for :10bux: on Amazon. You'll save a ton of money by buying bulk wire and keystones. Also, CAT5E is a bit easier to run (physically) - CAT6 has a plastic stem in the middle of the cable. If you're not planning to go above gigabit speeds, CAT5E is plenty. If you want to future proof though, CAT6 is a better choice. The super budget option is copper clad aluminum CAT5E (which is what I went with), but I've found the wires tend to break pretty easy when you punch them down.

There's two wiring standards - T568A, and T568B. It doesn't really matter which one you use, just keep it consistent through the entire house. I went with B, apparently a lot of people prefer A. The only time it matters is if you want to make a crossover cable, then you wire one end's plug to the A standard, and the other end to the B standard. The jacks often have the color codes printed on them, making it easier. Same with the punchdown blocks. I went full generic on everything, except for the switch (which is a really nice oldschool US Robotics gigabit switch, kindly given to me by the spyder). TP-Link makes downright decent stuff for a cheap price, but you absolutely want to go with gigabit switches. Ignore anything that says "fast ethernet" (which is 100mbit), and run from anything that says "hub". You'll also want whatever router you wind up with to have a gigabit port for the WAN connection, if you plan to get anything over ~75mbit. If it's an ISP supplied router, then just run a single cable from it to whatever switch you wind up using, if you wind up needing more outlets than the ISP supplied router has. I have a 5 port TP-Link gigabit switch that I could pass along, if it helps.

I'd guess attic would be easier, especially if you don't have anything to fish it with (all of mine is attic, though I don't have a crawl space, and it's a single story house with a concrete slab foundation). Stud finder (so you can be sure you're dropping the wire into the right cavity), drywall saw, low voltage old work rings, keystones, wall plates, and a punchdown block will be what you need. Monoprice will be your best friend for keystones and wall plates. The keystones sold at Home Depot will also fit Monoprice wall plates, if you're suddenly in need of a keystone that you forgot to order. Monoprice is also slightly cheaper for the trim rings (they basically attach to the hole you've cut in the wall and allow you to screw the wall plates into place)

I will say coax is a pain to strip properly. Spend :10bux: on a Klein coax stripper, save 10 minutes per connection. If you have a Fry's Electronics in your area, go snag some compression coax fittings and a tool, they're a lot more reliable than crimped connections (that stuff is hilariously marked up at the big box stores). I'd much rather punch down CAT5E/CAT6 to jacks or a punchdown block vs dealing with coax though, it's pretty finicky in general. A cable jacket ripper will also come in handy for the ethernet cables (they're a PITA to rip the jacket on without knicking wires), cheap ones are $5 or so at Home Depot.

If your internet is via cable, now's a good time to look at the modem stats and see what your signal levels are like. They'll only get worse once you add outlets (though replacing old coax with RG6/RG6U will help some), so you may have to do what I did and add a cable amplifier. This is the one I went with. Ignore the VoIP part unless you have landline service via a method other than traditional copper - if you do (like I do), then just connect the phone adapter to the "modem out" port (it's a pass through port that still works even if the power is out).

Darchangel posted:

That said, the domain was up today, I just had to track down a network guy to get all the IP info to give the machines a static IP and DNS server, etc. My part is basically don. I got a free lunch both days, and my afternoon should be quiet.
I don't get why the other guys don't volunteer to go.

I'd still consider that a fail, personally. Disaster or not, there should be something handling DHCP. Having to run around to every workstation in an actual disaster event to manually enter IPs and DNS is just a lot of extra work, adds another layer for human error, and hinders productivity (even more than the disaster itself, if the site is close enough that your staff can show up within an hour or two).

I assume this was a cold site that was being tested, not warm or hot, right? :ohdear: I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat; every company needs to test their disaster recovery plans regularly, and it sounds like you found some flaws with the plans your employer has in a practice run, instead of the real thing, which is good.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The only movie you need to watch is Black Devil Doll.

For once, I actually agree with this guy.

Fart Pipe posted:

Does anyone know a good online eyeglasses place? I just got a new prescription yesterday and Id like to get both sun and safety glasses in addition to the nice frames Im getting.

optical4less.com and zennioptical.com

optical4less charges in HKD, so you'll get hit with some kind of conversion fee by your bank. Zenni has a US office they ship from in California, and a nicer website, but they're still made in China (they just get shipped to California, then shipped to you). It takes about a month for them to show up from either company.

They're not quite the most stylish frames, but for the price, I'm not bitching. I have 1 pair of sunglasses and 3 pairs of untinted glasses, and I think I spent less than $150 on all of them combined (from both companies).

If you're looking for someone that carries more modern (and, uh, not so cheaply made) stuff, check out Warby Parker. IIRC they'll ship you frames that you can try on.

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, we've got just the one. We've pretty much just gotten big enough for the company to really take IT seriously. It's tough for a 100+ year old retail company to take this new-fangled electronic stuff seriously.

:cripes: One domain controller for 15k employees? No backup controller?

I mean, I'm familiar with your employer (and definitely their reluctance to change), but I'm kinda amazed they've made it this long without something ugly happening. :stare: I've worked in places with 150 employees that had a backup DC.

leica posted:

It looks much worse in person. I've looked it over really well inside and out and it appears that it was built on site on to the wall using the studs and then they tiled around it. Yes the tile is pink but it's still in really good shape, and wraps around the entire bathroom. If I could just replace the vanity and then tile over the terazzo floor it would be fine for a decade or more. But if I can't find something reasonably priced I might as well tear the whole thing apart and start from scratch.

My bathroom is the last part of the house that hasn't been touched, everything else has been renovated.

:stare:

I know a custom built one will be $$$, but will it be cheaper than re-tiling the bathroom? It'll definitely be easier...

e: any chance of just finding a more modern sink/faucet that will fit? The vanity honestly doesn't look bad at all, the sink makes it look ancient though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 10, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's gotta be super common on any house.

Kitchens and bathrooms are always expensive. But they're some of the most noticeable parts of the house.

Outdated ceiling fan in the living room? Who cares, as long as it's not wobbling or buzzing. Older light fixture in the dining room? It still lights up, right?

The house I'm in was built in 1994, and I really want to rip out the kitchen and both bathrooms. We replaced the countertops about 8 years ago with granite, but didn't touch the cabinets... and holy poo poo, they are DATED. If it were up to me, I'd rip out the center island to open up the kitchen a bit, but leave the layout essentially the same - just put something that's not generic mid 90s whitewash in the kitchen for the cabinets. And get rid of the loving Bosch wall oven and dishwasher. They're nice when they work, but they've far exceeded their purchase price (by several times) in repairs (one oven hasn't worked properly for about 5 years - takes almost an hour to heat up, and if you dare to open it while cooking, it takes at least 30 minutes to return to temp). For the bathrooms.. ugh ugh ugh. It's white tiles/counters and polished brass everywhere. Even just a new light fixture will help, same with new towel bars. A new vanity would be amazing. Get this polished brass poo poo out of here, give me some satin nickel stuff that looks like it's from this millennium.

90% of it could be DIY too. the only part I probably couldn't DIY would be the garden tub in the master bathroom - I don't even know if the pump in it works, it hasn't been used in over 10 years. It's built into a corner between the vanity and the shower, so it likely some special run that the builder requested (every house in this subdivision has the same tub). It's made out of some fake pearl-white plastic poo poo that matches the vanity counters.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 10, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mat_Drinks posted:

Do any of them do prescription sunglasses without having a less than two year old prescription? Or does anyone know of a place that'll support that? I know WP doesn't, and sure, I could just go to an eye doc to renew my script, but that's such a PITA when just over two years ago my eyes were the same as ten years before that.

optical4less and zenni both just let you type in your prescription - you just need to measure your PD yourself (distance between pupils - a couple of MM off doesn't matter as long as you're not doing bifocals or above). WP has a PDF you can print to actual size for the measurements, just use a bathroom mirror. They don't require you to send a copy of the rX.

And I feel you on that - my vision has barely changed in the past decade. Every few years it gets slightly worse, but I went 5 years on my old glasses without an issue. The eye doc said I was "one click worse" on my right eye compared to the script that was (then) 5 years old (6 now). She said it likely won't change much again until I hit my late 40s or early 50s, and if I didn't have the Paula Deen poo poo going, I could easily go 3 years between checkups. Unfortunately, I'm supposed to get an eye exam every year now, including dilation (gently caress I can't stand eyedrops, or anything getting close to my eyes in general, period - need to find an eye dr that has that super expensive machine that fires off the world's brightest green flash in your face to get a picture).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

I was going to warn you about Amazon Warehouse when I saw your post, but it was too late. I tried them a few times and their failure rate for me was over 50%. Mis-described, wrong-items, you name it. If you buy from Amazon Warehouse, make sure that it's something you don't really need, 'cause you're taking a chance.

I've bought several things from them, and this has been the first issue (last purchase was a new light for my aquarium). I can see why their seller ratings have slid so bad though.

The first person I talked to said I had to contact Amazon Warehouse Deals directly. Except, well, they're Amazon. Forwarded their response to Bezos. Woke up to an email apologizing profusely and a refund (refund reverses if they don't get this phone back in 30 days, obviously), and an offer to reimburse me for overnight shipping (I have prime, so meh, it's only $3.99). I ordered another phone from a different seller, and in their description they describe it as the XT1095 (which is generally the unbranded version, or the T-Mobile version - either way, fully unlocked, easy to root). Plan to just stick a rooted stock T-Mobile ROM on it and Ad-Away, and maybe eventually start playing with some of the 3rd party ROMs.

Great Beer posted:

Oh lordy. 3/7 of our drivers and one of our cooks have quit since Tuesday and we haven't had but a single applicant for either position in 2 months. Gonna be a fun few days. :allears:

My boss scheduled one opening driver (me) and one insider (rookie manager) for labor day.

It was not fun. Managed 23 deliveries in a little over 5 hours... made good money, but that was a killer for both me and the manager on duty.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

My stress level has gone way down since I stopped giving a poo poo about the customer and if they get their food hot/on time. Staffing problems are none of my business. If they want poo poo done, they can hire more people or stop cutting us the second we hit 30 hours. Either way, not my problem. I don't get paid enough to bust my rear end for this company.

Eh, I do as much as I can to get the orders to the customer hot, but I don't stress. There's nothing I can do about staffing issues, so I just take a deep breath and roll with it. I'm good at dealing with upset customers face to face, and I have no problem offering a credit or comping their meal if it makes them happy (though I have a lot of leniency compared to most other drivers).

They were going to cut us at 30 hours; instead they're offering insurance now; but it has something like a $6500 deductible, a low yearly limit, and you don't qualify until you've been there a year (basically they did the bare minimums they could to skirt by). I'll stick with my marketplace insurance, thanks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

New new phone showed up. Thought something was a little off about the first one. I was right. Side by side, the new-new phone has a much brighter display, with all settings being the same. There were some odd, barely visible vertical lines on bright backgrounds on the first one too.

Found a seller that knew exactly which variant of the phone they were selling, instead of just saying "uh.. yeah, this one looks like that one, therefore it must be that one".

And my Saturn is starting to show signs of being a GM product. Had the sunroof open today; when I closed it, only the left side fully dropped down, the right side stayed up. Wouldn't open more than a few inches again until I moved it back and forth a few times, then a nice snap and a few pieces of broken plastic popped out. Figured out it's part of the mechanism that tilts the glass up, and got the jammed part unjammed. It now opens and closes fine, but when I close the door, the sunroof pops up for a second to say hello. :downs: That should be a blast next time I run it through a car wash once I hit the dryer. At least the glass portion comes off easily, so I might be able to fix whatever part broke. If I can actually find an Ion coupe in a junkyard with a sunroof, and if I can take a jump pack and get the sunroof halfway open. (oh gently caress it I'll probably have to replace the entire assembly)

Great Beer posted:

I care to the extent that our lack of staff prevents me from doing my real job: washing all the dishes and mopping the floors. Delivering, answering phones, working cut table, all of it is just an obstacle to the two things I have to do before I can go home for the night.

Our staffing problem is so bad that I called out sick a few weeks ago and delivery had to be shut down at 8 on a Saturday because there was nobody else who was able to work due either to hours restrictions or simply not giving a poo poo. And for 4.90 an hour I can't really blame them.

Cripes, even a manager couldn't give enough of a poo poo to do deliveries? When poo poo hits the fan, the GM will drive as long as there's another manager inside the store. Every GM I've worked under at the Hut has been willing to do that.

I'm supposed to be getting a raise to $7.25 flat (instead of split 5.60/7.25), pending approval from the area coach - I'll be a :airquote: driver trainer :airquote:.

CornHolio posted:

What's the deal with the fan clutch? I'm not familiar at all with these things but I'll likely be working on it for him and am trying to gather as much information as I can.

It's computer controlled. And it fails in ways you would never think of. And when it fails, you're stuck with the fun of a roaring fan AND a check engine light (which is usually an automatic fail on emissions tests).

Oh yeah. It's also a few hundred bucks to replace when it fails. Not if. When.

Beyond that they're not bad.

mafoose posted:

On that trailblazer, isn't the fix a big thermostatically controlled electric fan and then you buy an efilive/hptuners credit and disable the check for that stupid fan clutch?

Pretty much, or swap out the electronic fan clutch for a normal fan clutch.

If you're going to go so far as to use an electronic fan clutch, why not just use electric fans? Oh wait, GM... :psyduck:

meatpimp posted:

Unfortunately, on the Nexus 6, you cannot flash an image without unlocking the bootloader. And there's the problem. Seems like the "Allow OEM Unlock" must be checked in Developer Options before you can unlock it. If you can't get to Developer Options because the phone is hosed? Bricked.

>fastboot oem unlock
(bootloader) Check 'Allow OEM Unlock' in Developer Options.
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.005s

:thumbsup:

Wait, you can't even flash the factory image without unlocking it? :psyduck:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ilkhan posted:

A stock LS still makes more power than most turbo 4s, and you can get as much power as you went by sticking a blower or turbo(s) on the V8.

Hot Rod Magazine tried to blow up what they thought was a 5.3 LSx (well, truck iron block version). They found out later it was actually a 4.8. It managed over 1200 HP and over 60 dyno pulls without even a sneeze, though they did build up the top end. Bottom end was a completely stock junkyard engine that was sold to them as a truck 5.3, aside from changing the ring gap.

They gave up on trying to blow it up, the tl;dr is the ignition system couldn't handle more than 26 PSI of boost. :iiam:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

OTOH my wife couldn't get health insurance for any sum of money before it passed because she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, an easily managed condition that requires a single annual blood test and a $5/30 day supply generic prescription.

Also in argument (on your side), I haven't had employer-sponsored health care coverage since 2012 - and it was a terrible plan. The last remotely decent plan I had was when I worked for Whole Foods, and it still had a fairly high deductible ($2500 IIRC, though they gave me $1800/yr on a FSA), and it still didn't cover mental health.

The last time I saw a doctor before the ACA passed was when I was a student at UNT in 2012 - they had a free campus clinic for students (well, dr visits were free, everything else was basically at-cost - bloodwork was stupid cheap, for example) with awesome doctors. Got diagnosed with high blood pressure there. After I left UNT, I didn't see a doctor again until 2014 - when I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and diabetes. I've also been in the hospital a few times since then; I'd be considering bankruptcy (if I hadn't already filed) right now if I didn't have insurance - they've covered about $100k worth of poo poo. Catching up on deferred maintenance basically, except for my body instead of my car.

Yeah, it's a HMO, but it's affordable for me, and as long as I have a doctor I like, I have no issues with it. I'm sure my insurance company would love to dump me since they've paid out more in the past year than I've actually made in the past 3-5 years, but it's the only way I've been able to afford healthcare. I'd probably be dead within the next few years had I not gotten blood pressure and diabetes medications.

Great Beer posted:

If she did, there would be only one person running both make and cut tables and they'd get overwhelmed fast. The one cook we are able to schedule gets in at 7 when the gm leaves. The shift manager can't do it either since she's the one running cut table. We just don't have the people. We lost a server and our new cook yesterday too.

They're about to get screwed hard tomorrow too. I'm off for the first time in 9 days leaving them with four people, two of whom will be gone by 8pm. I'm turning my phone off and going to a football game. RIP our delivery average.

My boss knows better than to call me on my day off unless poo poo has REALLY hit the fan; I'm the last resort option. Partly because I live in another city (therefore it takes me at least 15 minutes to get there), partly because I've been hosed long and hard before by leaving my phone on on my days off.

I'm scheduled dinner rush tomorrow. But whatever my stepdad had last week seems to have attached itself to me as of today, so there's a very good chance I'll be calling in sick (have chills, tons of drainage, and generally feel like my body is inside a trash compactor). It's my only short shift of the week (and my only dinner shift; I'm usually gone by 6-7pm, since I open 4 days a week), so it won't really be a big loss (I'm only scheduled 5-9). I normally open, so calling in for an opening shift is generally seen as "oh hell no".

Football season is coming, you'll probably want to ask about working football shifts. They can be insanely busy, depending on the store. But it really sounds like your franchise is managed by a bunch of fuckwits. :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 12, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MustardFacial posted:

I haven't stopped laughing for 20 mins http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3lgI9QIV8

It's safe to say I saw NOFX live before many people on SA were born. :colbert:

(first concert I ever went to, senior year of high school, it was a ton of gently caress YES)

(also kind of wondering how a 45 second song leaves you laughing for 20 minutes...)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well at least you have good taste in music. :colbert:

edit: I've had country, of all things, stuck in my head all day. 80s country. I want to stick knitting needles through my eardrums, but then I'd never hear anything again except for the country music stuck in my head. :suicide:

edit2: shipped back the first new phone today (the one I had to replace thanks to Amazon sending me an AT&T version instead of a carrier-neutral version). Amazon shows that it's now delayed by customs. It's going to Arizona, what the gently caress Amazon + UPS? :stonklol:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 13, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To quote Clerks, "I'm not even supposed to be here today!". Got called in to help with the game. Wound up walking out with $70 for about 4 hours of work, not gonna bitch about that. Just sucks that I lost one of my two days off this week.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My car is sexy as gently caress and you are all just haters driving Miatas. My warranty will outlive the entirety of your poo poo-box car.

You should ask Bajaja how that Hyundai warranty has worked out f....

mariooncrack posted:

Hyundai does some great warranty work, just ask Bajaha.

GODDAMNIT

Rhyno posted:

Uh huh. Until they deny your warranty claim because of excess moisture damage.

FROM SPLASHING THROUGH PUDDLES

I laughed entirely too hard at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think I mentioned this, but my boss bought a car from the same Carmax I bought my car from.

... 18% interest. They'd be charging him more, except apparently there's some sort of law that makes it illegal to charge more than 18% APR on a car that's 2 years old or newer. Anything more than 2 years old was being quoted at 24-28% APR.

He got a drat nice 2013 Altima with a whole 12k on the odometer for a very reasonable price, but he's getting bent over and raped on the APR. Minimum payment: $385/month. :stonklol: It's a base model, but the base is still a really nice car, and it still has some options like steering wheel stereo controls, and bluetooth built into the factory stereo. I was pretty surprised to see a pedal for the parking brake though - I know most generations of Altimas had a center-console parking brake handle instead of a pedal. I wanted to kick him in the balls when he told me what kind of MPG he gets from it.. he's averaging 26-28 city (he has a CVT). I get 20-22 city with a smaller engine in a much smaller car with a manual transmission. :sigh:

After hearing the interest rates he was being offered, I was one of many pushing him to just buy a car for cash (he got $3800 from insurance for his Kia - $3800 will get you even a mid 00s Accord in decent shape these days, and he was a mechanic at one point, so he can do his own maintenance). He's going to wind up paying nearly double the sticker price unless he manages to refinance it or pay it off early.

My car is (finally) almost paid off. Which is good, since in typical GM fashion, poo poo is starting to break now that I've broken 100k. Current issues: broken trim on the drivers door (missing for almost a year, only $25 to replace, just been lazy), a sunroof that keeps jamming and pops up to say hi when you slam a door or go through the dryer in a carwash, and the a/c compressor is getting noisy. It's started burning a tiny amount of oil - about 1/2 a quart every 7k. And that's probably just from the valve cover gasket leaking a bit. Still on the original battery from 2005. Mechanically, the only issue I have is it grinds occasionally while shifting when the engine is cold, but I'm pretty sure just changing the gearbox oil will fix that (too bad the drat drain plug is a oval office hair away from the subframe, otherwise it would have been done when I bought the car nearly 3 years ago, and at least once since then).

• Locked thread