Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It's time for a new episode!

The game has seemingly given up on giving us direction as to how to advance the plot.

Episode 19 - Wanderlust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Unfortunate news. Sickness flows around Game Kiwi Studios so there won't be a regularly scheduled episode tomorrow. We are instead going to shoot for recording for a Saturday release this week.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
i am ill and it sucks

please write on my grave "i never got to see yakuza 2 and was very disappointed with myself"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

At long last! Episode 20!

Episode 20 - Razor Bladez

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I thought I'd heard/read some tryhard tough guy dialogue before but the White gang there took it to some ridiculous levels.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

My memory of the rest of this game is so no-longer-existent that I wouldn't be able to tell you if there is anything more over the top than that.

I hope there is.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

New Episode!

Episode 21 - Hanzo Steel

ThePsychoGamer
Dec 5, 2013
The repetitive side missions is another issue that really isn't fixed until Yakuza 4, and due to Sega being Sega it feels a lot worst in Yakuza 3 then it does in 1 and 2.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I honestly don't think I did many of the side quests in 3, since I had 4 waiting for me and wanted to power through it.

I am looking forward to getting to That Quest from Yakuza 2 though. That'll be a fun time.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hey hey hey, mikey is out of town so this week I take over the 'post update in the thread' duty.

Episode 22 - Car Combat

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Another Person posted:

Hey hey hey, mikey is out of town so this week I take over the 'post update in the thread' duty.

Episode 22 - Car Combat

As much as turret sequences may be derided today, at least when they're used as pointless filler, I sure do not miss early/mid-2000's turret sequences.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

As much as turret sequences may be derided today, at least when they're used as pointless filler, I sure do not miss early/mid-2000's turret sequences.

I could not agree more. They may still be very bad and go against any systems and playstyles that the game usually has in mind in favour of a big setpiece jerk off where the player has little control past "clumsily aim moving turret and hope you hit moving target", but they are waaaay better than they used to be. At least developers have figured out aiming, momentum, how shaky the turret should be, etc. They are still very bad, but they are not truly awful.

I still have nightmares about Jak 2 turret sequences. I wake up in cold sweats screaming "THE METAL HEADS ARE COMING, THE SMALL ONES WHICH FLY". I have wiped from my memory precisely how bad the car sections in the Matrix games were.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The one in this game wasn't terrible. It wasn't good mind you, but it was mostly just unexpected.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
That car section may have been unexpected, but you know what was expected? The new episode, but this one is 2 hours early!

Episode 23 - The Other Side

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, I don't remember who that was either.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

:siren: New Episode! :siren:

I made a big mistake!

Episode 24 - Boned

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Player is forced to grind a large amount of game stuff because of an arbitrary amount they didn't know they would need in the future?

Yep, definitely a JRPG.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Player is forced to grind a large amount of game stuff because of an arbitrary amount they didn't know they would need in the future?

Yep, definitely a JRPG.

I know, right?! That's exactly what I was trying to say! (I think)

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Just chiming in to say I'm really enjoying/grateful for this LP as someone looking to get into the later Yakuza games.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks! We are doing our best so it is cool to see people appreciating it, and mikey is certainly looking forward to getting onto Yakuza 2. So am I, but he knows what to expect and I do not.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Brovstin posted:

Just chiming in to say I'm really enjoying/grateful for this LP as someone looking to get into the later Yakuza games.

Thanks! If there's any-non-story-thing you want to see, just post it here and I'll see what I can do, since at this point I'm just working on finishing the first game.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, I'm still catching up with all the episodes so far, but if you've got a nostalgia hankering for dbz (and don't have the time/inclination to watch all of it), then you're doing yourselves a disservice by not watching dbz abridged.

And sleeping dogs is loving great.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've been watching DBZ Kai. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I'm pretty disappointed that the Buu Saga hasn't gotten a dub yet. :(

And yes, Sleepy Dogs is absolutely fantastic.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

New Episode!

Episode 25 - It's a JRPG

My audio is going to be a bit jacked up in this and the next couple episodes. Our audio software didn't want to cooperate with us that session.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

New Episode!!!!!

Episode 26 - Purple Elephant

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another one! A fan favorite is back!

Episode 27 - The Return

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't say this often, but maybe that 8 year old would be better off in the homeless city with the fighting arena run by weird guy with cameras everywhere.

You know, when the alternative is being dragged along to buildings getting rammed by buses.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Purgatory honestly seems like a fairly safe place to hang.

Kage has that poo poo on LOCK.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We recorded the end of the game today.

If anybody has stuff they want us to show off before the LP is through, now is probably the time to make your wishes known.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Having never played a Yakuza game before I don't know if I want anything to be shown off so.... have at it.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Hey, just found this thread and am really excited to finally get to see the first and second games. I own the third and fourth, but have never actually gotten around to playing them.

If it's not too late, I'd like to see the secret boss but I understand if that can't happen this run.

Keep up the good work! Ya'll are really fun to watch!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Hey, just found this thread and am really excited to finally get to see the first and second games. I own the third and fourth, but have never actually gotten around to playing them.

If it's not too late, I'd like to see the secret boss but I understand if that can't happen this run.

Keep up the good work! Ya'll are really fun to watch!

Unfortunately we hosed up a 100% side quest run pretty early and locked ourselves out of getting to fight Amon. :(

I can assure you though, he is the exact opposite of fun in this game.

I'm glad you found the thread though! I hope you enjoy watching us bumble through this overall pretty good game!

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

mikeycp posted:

Unfortunately we hosed up a 100% side quest run pretty early and locked ourselves out of getting to fight Amon. :(

That's okay :)

Either way, I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of the series!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

mikeycp posted:

I'm glad you found the thread though! I hope you enjoy watching us bumble through this overall pretty good game!

There is a way to absolutely cheese him and destroy him, but it requires having three of a particular weapon.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Crono S. Magnum posted:

That's okay :)

Either way, I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of the series!

Glad to hear it!

Hoss Corncave posted:

There is a way to absolutely cheese him and destroy him, but it requires having three of a particular weapon.

Yeah, but even then it's not a particularly enjoyable fight. Especially with how rough the combat is in this game.

Also getting three of that weapon isn't a very fun task in itself.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another new episode!

Episode 28 - Boat Party

We're in the home stretch. This is the first video of the last recording session.

I would like to end this at a nice round 30, but if natural cutaway points or stupid-long video length prohibit it it may end up being 31 episodes.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
The video is private.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yes it is.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
private videos is the secret to youtube superstardom, the real money is all about cultivating a private viewer base of you and yourself

Fixed it for you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Oops. My bad.

• Locked thread