Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

vortmax posted:

What are you, a real estate novelist?

You oughtta know by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
do you all want loving cookies for remembering billy joel lyrics? i know them all because i was a dweeb who listened to nothing but mor adult contemporary radio until i was like 13 or something. not exactly something i want to advertise though

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
UPTOWN GIRRRRRRRRL

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

It doesn't matter what they say in the papers -- it's always been the same old scene.

There's a new band in town but you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JiveHonky posted:

UPTOWN GIRRRRRRRRL

I hear she's been living in a whitebread world. Is this true?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

I hear she's been living in a whitebread world. Is this true?

she plump as hell

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Sorry i dunno what next phase is, but they are CR'3s

maybe you can answer this, I've never added a subwoofer to something sort of self contained like these speakers. This is what the back look like

i was thinking about buying a cheapo plate amp and like a 6" subwoofer and buliding a small cabinet but I dont know how to input the sound correctly!! this is what the plate amp looksl ike

now I have the mackies hooked up with a RCA y cable from my computer. to add the sub should I splice off a signal from the high level input to the passive speaker or should I splice that signal from the low level RCA side somehow? i dont want one speaker to be quieter than the other but im weary of the low level side losing signal quality!

There's no need for an external crossover if you build or buy an active/powered sub (i.e. the kind with an amp built in) it should have a built in crossover with a pass through for your main L/R speakers. So you would then plug your RCA cable into the L&R input on the sub first, then the L&R out of the sub into your Mackies. The sub would do the necessary splitting for you without needing a Y cable and no risk of signal loss.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

The Mentalizer posted:

There's no need for an external crossover if you build or buy an active/powered sub (i.e. the kind with an amp built in) it should have a built in crossover with a pass through for your main L/R speakers. So you would then plug your RCA cable into the L&R input on the sub first, then the L&R out of the sub into your Mackies. The sub would do the necessary splitting for you without needing a Y cable and no risk of signal loss.

but what if your speakers are amplified and only have line level input and the output from the sub is only speaker-level

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm glad this turned into serious speaker discussion. The song lyrics gag thing would not have carried a thread.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Speakers used to do this:

now they just make lizard and insect noises behind your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

ashgromnies posted:

but what if your speakers are amplified and only have line level input and the output from the sub is only speaker-level

Then you'll have to use an external crossover. I was working under the assumption you didn't have the sub yet, so I described the type that would work best with what you have. If you already have a sub with only speaker level outputs then you'll need to split the signal first, preferably with a crossover but a simple Y cable would probably work ok too if that's all you have.

E: yeah, I missed the pic you posted before, sorry. If you haven't picked it up yet, try and find one with line level outs for the L/R instead. Otherwise you'll have to go with the passive Y or external crossover setup.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 1, 2015

• Locked thread