Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

darkgray posted:

If people in this thread post their personal :) or :geno: after seeing a couple of episodes of a show, Lucy might be able to add them to some sort of plus/minus graph next to the show titles in the OP, so people who wander in late can scroll through the list and see what's likely worth having a look at?

uhhhhh i think i might add and remove some :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kuvo posted:

I think this breaks down me preferring a review over a synopsis. Having interacted with Zorak in the past, I feel we share similar tastes so trust his ~anime opinions~ for the most part. I only follow anime stuff casually and am not going to put a lot of effort into investigating 30+ new things every season so I like having the ability to read reviews by someone I trust. When I see something like...

or

or

...I know I can focus my attention elsewhere because someone has already gone though the horror work of previewing this for me

(With regards to that Maria the Virgin Witch show, I agree he probably based his review off the name alone. That said, having watched the first episode of it I didn't continue with it cus it had a creepy vibe so :shrug:)
you are a gently caress person who is made of fail

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for instance in that post alone the 'perverted admiral who gropes them' thing is a complete fabrication that sullies the good name of noted historically sound anime, kantai collection

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 3, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

we all know that this is the real admiral

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

Assuming we're only talking about the premise, not the extra details, did trainwrecks like Valvrave and Guilty Crown have many obvious red flags in their initial summaries?

I mean, the MAL writeup for Valvrave looks pretty generic-giant-robot, which isn't necessarily a problem if that's your thing, and certainly doesn't hint at the drooling insanity within. On the other end of the quality scale, there's Madoka Magica, which has as boilerplate a magical girl show summary as you can get.

For 90% of the first episode I don't think anybody had any idea beforehand what Valvrave was going to turn into.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Those writeups aren't reviews at all since the first step in writing a review is to watch the thing in question

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

Those writeups aren't reviews at all since the first step in writing a review is to watch the thing in question
the second step in a review is to not make up total lies to get owns in on people you disagree with on the internet

the third step in a review is not to threaten to ban anyone who calls you on on your reviews, which zorak did, frequently

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Zorak had weird hangups about baps

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

zorak was a huge loving weirdo and i don't want zorak-style anti-baps blurbs in teh OP

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Basically all you need in the open is a synopsis, use those to tell if a thing sounds up your alley or not, as opposed to one person's opinion making him openly lie in order to convince you not to watch a thing

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kuvo posted:

I think this breaks down me preferring a review over a synopsis. Having interacted with Zorak in the past, I feel we share similar tastes so trust his ~anime opinions~ for the most part. I only follow anime stuff casually and am not going to put a lot of effort into investigating 30+ new things every season so I like having the ability to read reviews by someone I trust. When I see something like...

or

or

...I know I can focus my attention elsewhere because someone has already gone though the horror work of previewing this for me

You know for someone with a reputation for spouting lies, you don't seem to be very good at picking them out :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Namtab posted:

Basically all you need in the open is a synopsis, use those to tell if a thing sounds up your alley or not, as opposed to one person's opinion making him openly lie in order to convince you not to watch a thing
Yep.

That or at least some patience. In a week or so every show should have at least one person following it confirming how it turns out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When will be free of discussions about the ex mod

When will his iron grip release us from his memory

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Those who forget history...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

Those who forget history...

Droyer posted:

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

I think this means y'all have to kiss.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think this means y'all have to kiss.

Fine w/ this

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Droyer posted:

Fine w/ this

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it :pppp

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Never, imo

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Budget Prefuse posted:

those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it :pppp

I remember when zorak was the phiz mod, he'd do something wacky like once a month and then go away. never talked bout anime, even though everyone wanted to.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

lol i completely forgot he moderated phiz for a while. probably the most bizarre mod choice ever

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i dont remember zorak ever doing anything in phiz

Sins Of Our Talent
Feb 13, 2012
kancolle was a lovely retelling of the Pacific War until it goes full revisionist during the Battle of Midway, so don't watch it unless you want to listen to VAs voice up to 8 ships at once

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Namtab posted:

Zorak had weird hangups about baps

Zorak's bans on baps.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

darkgray posted:

If people in this thread post their personal :) or :geno: after seeing a couple of episodes of a show, Lucy might be able to add them to some sort of plus/minus graph next to the show titles in the OP, so people who wander in late can scroll through the list and see what's likely worth having a look at?

I like this idea. Probably not useful beyond the standard 3 episodes though, except in specific cases like Rokka.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't feel Lucy should do extra work for lazy people, unless they really want to.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you care that much you can read this thread and ask if anyone's following a particular show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Putting the onus on Lucy's taste is not reasonable, because Lucy may have awful taste in anime.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

May have?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

May have?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Whats the word on this "K Return of Kings" thing, the internet tells me its a 2nd Season. Should I go find the first season and watch it, or just be glad I missed it the first time around?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I thought it was bad. Nothing interesting in the first two episodes and everything had obnoxious filters over it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched it, it had some nice animation but was mostly incoherent and dumb. There's also a movie which had some nice animation but was mostly dumb and incoherent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Right - the only thing even vaguely noteworthy about it seems to be that it coincidentally shares its name with a moderately notorious misogynist hate-site, making Googling it really fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

k is a fun show if you like attractive guys beating each other up, and is a bad show if you care about, say, plot

that said the characters are pretty likable and there's some funny banter, so it isn't necessarily 'bad' writing.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I've never seen it or even heard of it but walked into a room in anime expo showing the movie last year and everyone kept cheering at appearances by characters and actions. I thought it was some kind of super popular series but I didn't really know what was going on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

arisu posted:

I've never seen it or even heard of it but walked into a room in anime expo showing the movie last year and everyone kept cheering at appearances by characters and actions. I thought it was some kind of super popular series but I didn't really know what was going on.
'i walked into a place where people liked the show, and people were liking the show. what inscrutable hell is this?'

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It was boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Endorph posted:

'i walked into a place where people liked the show, and people were liking the show. what inscrutable hell is this?'

the worst hell

• Locked thread