Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Someone Awful! posted:

Though not necessarily the same thing, Wiki says she had difficulty writing the theme song for Kingdom Hearts because she felt the plot and characters were "soulless" :buddy:

when you walk away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This makes me so happy. The last LP I saw of Kingdom Hearts looked (from the OP admittedly) like a couple guys taking the piss out of everything. Which is fine, but I fuckin LOVE this game and love this series so it's nice seeing people who feel the same. As a young lad I always took the Sword and gave up the Rod. I think I made a different decision when I got around to 1.5 ReMix, but I honestly can't remember. I learned quickly as a kid that Proud mode didn't gently caress around. I was totally surprised that you could lose to Darkside and the game would let you keep it moving. I don't play that game though, so I reset the whole thing and had another go at it.

What hits Sora in that scene? I feel like I've never gotten an explanation for that in over 10 years of learning all the bullshit of the series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Author-Man posted:

Okay, so, let's assume that traveling to other worlds via boat is a reasonable option. Something that can be done and isn't hopelessly stupid poo poo that these 14-15 year old kids really should be smart enough to realize won't work.

why do they need to build a raft to do it?

Like, they clearly do not live on this island so presumably they have boats to get there, why do they not use one of those to sail into space?

What I'm getting at here is that the game does a very good job of establishing one of the central aspects of the series' storytelling; almost everyone involved is colossally stupid.

Look at this guy. Look at this loving guy. This is the guy who you hear in movie theaters going 'Where'd all the extra mass to make Steve Rodgers 6'4" and a weightlifter come from? Where do Wolverine's claws rest when they're not out of his body? Why is he always wearing purple shorts when he turns into the Hulk?'

Look at this loving nerd analyzing the anime video game teenagers and how dumb they are. Laugh at him.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Author-Man posted:

Okay, so, let's assume that traveling to other worlds via boat is a reasonable option. Something that can be done and isn't hopelessly stupid poo poo that these 14-15 year old kids really should be smart enough to realize won't work.

Like, they clearly do not live on this island so presumably they have boats to get there, why do they not use one of those to sail into space?

What I'm getting at here is that the game does a very good job of establishing one of the central aspects of the series' storytelling; almost everyone involved is colossally stupid.

Cause it's fun to try and build a raft as a kid. I want this post framed and put up in the OP.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I know people made fun of the giant shoes and all, but in general the proportions in this series really look off to me and I could never really give it a serious look, partly because of that. Do they bother anyone else?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

I know people made fun of the giant shoes and all, but in general the proportions in this series really look off to me and I could never really give it a serious look, partly because of that. Do they bother anyone else?

Yeah I feel the same. I'm fine with Sora and Kairi and Riku's proportions but man some of the Disney characters look hosed up.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Did they mocap anyone in those shoes?

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Author-Man posted:

the Island is a metaphor for Deez nuts, haha are you serious they're children and rafts are fun to make. How about you make like a raft and log off

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Awww god no, not another Kingdom Hearts thread I already went through one why do you do this to me SA

...but it IS Loon, Emcee and FutureFriend loving around so frankly that's worth my :10bux: either way I can't wait to see what happens!

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Edit: I done hosed up, sorry about that.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 2, 2015

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

GMArcturus posted:

Wow Futurefriend, just going right out there and stealing my viewers aren't you? Just kidding. Anyways, good luck on the game.

Quality post trying to stealth plug your thread while adding nothing. Good poo poo right here.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Bit of a short update today as we go raft gatherin'

Polsy

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Is Donald the royal electric executioner?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Fighting the Final Fantasy trio on Destiny Islands was fun. I'm curious as to why they chose Selphie for the third. Wouldn't Rikku have made loads more sense? I've heard that Rikku was intended to be in the game, but she wouldn't have been here. She was supposed to be in a later area, but they decided against her out of fear that people would confuse her and Riku. Fighting Riku on Destiny Island is a humbling experience in video gaming. The counter attack he uses comes out after 4 successful hits on him, if I remember right. It's 3 or 4. You have to know that going in or else he's going to wreck your poo poo. He's easily WAY tougher than Tidus, Wakka, or Selphie. If I don't beat him in my first go, I reset the game now. It's embarrassing to lose to him after having played the game so many times. The same is also done if I lose the 3 v 1 fight since the first thing Tidus says is that Riku could do it. The preferred killing order is Wakka (to get rid of him sniping you from across the map) > Tidus (cause he hits the hardest) > Selphie (since she's terrible).

It's such an obvious joke, but the scene with Donald and the door still cracks me up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

♫M-I-C, K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E~♫

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Riku's rambling about other worlds sounds like he's had some of that green herb. "If there is life on other planets, why did we end up on this lovely one, man?"

Also, Destiny Island seems a lot like lord of the flies. All these kids beating on each other with no parental guidance, it's almost like one of those animes i've heard about.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Killrrhubarb posted:

Riku's rambling about other worlds sounds like he's had some of that green herb. "If there is life on other planets, why did we end up on this lovely one, man?"

Also, Destiny Island seems a lot like lord of the flies. All these kids beating on each other with no parental guidance, it's almost like one of those animes i've heard about.
Things are getting so dire on the island that Tidus had to make his own clothes from old rags.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kingdom Hearts is very vague about how they live on Destiny Islands. The more you think about how they live there the more questions come up.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

bobjr posted:

Kingdom Hearts is very vague about how they live on Destiny Islands. The more you think about how they live there the more questions come up.
They KIND of explain but not by actual telling on how Sora and co. live a little further down the line buuuut yeah his home is kind of blank as hell.

\/ EDIT: yeaaaaah again it's very vague, the kids don't actually live ON the island, they just row out to it as their own little playden like a treehouse but except it's...an island, you can see their boats on the beach shore when you were fighting the Idiot Crew.

They actually live in another settlement next to the islands, they barely ever talk about it.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 9, 2015

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

FinalGamer posted:

They KIND of explain but not by actual telling on how Sora and co. live a little further down the line buuuut yeah his home is kind of blank as hell.

Don't they show the inside of Sora's house, or at least his room, looking out at destiny island?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My god I forgot how completely loving massive Minnie's head is.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Enjoy it while it lasts, this is the only Kingdom Hearts game that has anything resembling fun gameplay.

But loving hell, did this game dominate my middle school life. I beat it on normal and pride modes, but I never beat the bonus bosses and never beat Sephiroth 'cause...eh, gently caress that poo poo.

I only accept this game as canon.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts, this is the only Kingdom Hearts game that has anything resembling fun gameplay.

But loving hell, did this game dominate my middle school life. I beat it on normal and pride modes, but I never beat the bonus bosses and never beat Sephiroth 'cause...eh, gently caress that poo poo.

I'd argue that Kingdom Hearts 2 is just as good if not better because it's the same game-play with extra bells and whistles and reaction commands are great fun if you don't mind that they're mash triangle to win half the time.. Also I personally can't get through this game but have beaten number 2 multiple times simply because 2 has a better Gummi Ship system and less tedious worlds. Visiting them twice can get pretty boring and a lot of the post game stuff is super bullshit in 2 but a run through of the main game is far better in 2 than 1 in my opinion. All the side games tend towards lovely game-play though so you're not wrong there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Who hurt you so badly that you are this wrong? Was it Sephiroth?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

im just gonna reiterate now since this is the second time it's happened in 2 pages. don't talk about future kingdom hearts games. there's 2 rules in the thread, c'mon guys.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Alright, wrapping up Destiny Islands with today's update
Polsy

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That was a swag way to end that Darkside fight. Why did they bother giving us an MP bar if Sora doesn't have any magic yet?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing I like about the shadows once you get the keyblade is you can only grind with them so much because eventually the save point disappears and is shadows spawn in there too. The only way that could be better is if you could see the island disappear the more you fought.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

"Sora, don't ever change."
Ew, so that's why his outfit gets darker in a later game.

Wait, they all have boats, but they still build a raft? They could have made a bitchin' catamaran or even a trimaran.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Everything after the point where Sora is carving papou fruit in the cave is all a product of a delirious coma he's sustained from living on a deserted island for too long, and hitting his head on a rock in the cave. So from this point on, he's just imagining everything.

But that's just a theory. A poo poo THEORY

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Frankly I'm more stunned by the fact that Sora has parents than I am that a black hole opened in the sky

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Frankly I'm more stunned by the fact that Sora has parents than I am that a black hole opened in the sky

Had parents. Pretty sure they're all swept up into the black hole now.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Parent. Singular. We only heard one voice, after all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kingdom Hearts 1 was released on PS2 in America on this day 13 years ago.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Parent. Singular. We only heard one voice, after all.
Maybe the father is mute?
In any case Sora doesn't give a poo poo about his family.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

finally, kingdom hearts is old enough to annoy and confuse adults everywhere.

SelenicMartian posted:

Maybe the father is mute?
In any case Sora doesn't give a poo poo about his family.

sora has both real parents and real pants but never mentions either of them. which is hosed up imo.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

This was the date some people thought 3 would come out then.
Guess not.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Enjoy II.8 Final Chapter Prologue.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

sora has both real parents and real pants but never mentions either of them. which is hosed up imo.

not nearly as hosed as this Selphie hate, i'd say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

SonicRulez posted:

That was a swag way to end that Darkside fight. Why did they bother giving us an MP bar if Sora doesn't have any magic yet?

There are moves other than magic that use MP - I suppose it's possible to have learned one by this point.

• Locked thread