Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Awww god no, not another Kingdom Hearts thread I already went through one why do you do this to me SA

...but it IS Loon, Emcee and FutureFriend loving around so frankly that's worth my :10bux: either way I can't wait to see what happens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

bobjr posted:

Kingdom Hearts is very vague about how they live on Destiny Islands. The more you think about how they live there the more questions come up.
They KIND of explain but not by actual telling on how Sora and co. live a little further down the line buuuut yeah his home is kind of blank as hell.

\/ EDIT: yeaaaaah again it's very vague, the kids don't actually live ON the island, they just row out to it as their own little playden like a treehouse but except it's...an island, you can see their boats on the beach shore when you were fighting the Idiot Crew.

They actually live in another settlement next to the islands, they barely ever talk about it.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 9, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Kingdom Hearts 1 was released on PS2 in America on this day 13 years ago.
What a time to be alive. Praise this day for centuries to come. :patriot:

Also, Thalassa was the Greek goddess of the sea and the birth-mother of Aphrodite according to one myth. There's no such thing as thalassa shells but there are two other terms particularly with thalassa in the title. Thalassophobia, the fear of the sea, and Thalassaemia, which is a Mediterranean equivalent of Sickle Cell Anaemia.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 17, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Real talk, I loving love Traverse Town's theme as the most adorable sorta-christmassy theme ever for a township in a videogame.

Realer talk, preeeeeeeeeetty sure Sora's gonna form the gang from The Bouncer with those DOG STREET clothings like a sweet brand. Totally inspired by Pluto. And I also love David Boreanz being Squall because David Boreanz is pretty rad in everything to me.

dog Street rulez

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 3, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

More voice actor trivia!

In this game, Alice is played by Kathryn Beaumont, who played the character in the original 1951 movie! She was 64 when she reprised her role for Kingdom Hearts! What a sport!
Genuinely amazing, then again Disney are surprisingly on-point getting actors back or having some people reprise their roles as long as they're not fully retired essentially. She's not the only Disney lady who got her VA back and still rocking it out.

Also, it's "Che-shurr" Cat. CHEH. SHURR. :goonsay:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 6, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

yeah, i only ended up bothering with that a few years ago, but i kinda prefer no survival skills donald and goofy. usually means i have a bit more breathing space cuz bosses focus on them a bit.
The only thing I noticed in their AI patterning is you can make them attack SLIGHTLY less or heal you SLIGHTLY more often, but in general the AI tends to be pretty terrible in this game. Donald forgets he's a black mage constantly, whilst Goofy is only able to survive and mitigate enemy forces slightly due to being a surprisingly sturdy meat shield.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

James Woods is the loving best.

He actively went on record saying that if anyone needed him to be Hades, ANYONE, he would come on and loving do it, and that is why he still remains voicing Hades throughout all the movie, the TV series and this Kingdom Hearts world of Hercules.

I guess it is true wizards are dirty fighters, that fucker got you square in the goddamn back. I never seen that cutscene before either because I'm not a scrub-rear end bitch, but I know you're better than that FutureFriend :v: you just wanted to show the folks at home everything this game had, I respect that.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 24, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

I've never watched an LP of this game. It strikes me as a Final Fantasy/Disney fanfiction made into a video game. Wasn't there a story about how Square came up with this idea after someone was in the same elevator as a Disney executive?
Pretty much, it is exactly that. The story goes that Tetsuya Nomura, who was one of the head character designers of Square-Enix starting back since FF7, got in an elevator with a Disney executive since their companies shared the same building. They had at first a jokey talk about making a game together and by the time they got off they had an idea to pitch to Disney. Roy Disney, Walt's...nephew I believe, was asked to come in and hear and he himself approved since the Japanese were kind of all about family recognitions and such.

I don't know who the Disney executive was that Nomura talked to, and the first game does balance the best between Final Fantasy and Disney but as the series goes along you will find one side becoming more and more heavily favoured for its insanely bizarre story.

There was a lot of back-and-forth on particulars for what characters should and should not do, like Goofy was given a shield specifically because Disney asked not to have him be given a weapon. Here's an even more bizarre fact.
Kingdom Hearts is actually copyrighted to DISNEY fully, Square-Enix are just developing on their behalf so technically Sora and anyone else that comes up is also actually owned by Disney, except of course for Final Fantasy chars.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 25, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The only thing you need to take away from this level is that BRIAN BLESSED came back and loving did Clayton again like he did in the movie because he's BRIAN GODDAMN BLESSED

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 27, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

They came back in fashion and Nomura's all about the fashion.
Also doesn't help Square-Enix's headquarters is in Shibuya, the HIP-HOP CULTUREST of Tokyo and Nomura is one of the youngest Square people in a high position AND also that for the most part, they do love to cater these games to the young hip generation, example perfectly with The World Ends With You.

OneDeadman posted:

I remember thinking that Clayton was a goddamn nightmare of a bossfight, but I also don't think I used Tarazan for the entireity of this world.
Clayton is deceptively powerful because he has a loving gun and it hurts just as badly as you would expect it to.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Is it my imagination or is the Deep Jungle theme a 20 second loop?
Most of the songs in this game are pretty looping, especially the first game when they were just testing out the waters but Deep Jungle is especially eh.

FutureFriend posted:

actually i believe you will find the game known as kingdom hearts, in fact owns.
For all the crazy loving story there is further down the line, the game is really fun to play because of how crazy it gets.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

The original release of KH1 is still a pain because of the shoddy camera controls and bad jumping. And the vines.
Yeaaaaaah gonna agree on that, and there is a level much later on that PERFECTLY embodies both in one horrifying combination of "oh my loving god would you just get on the loving GUUUH".

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

...I just realised.

Squall gives you a stone with Simba as a summon inside of it.

....the loving lion how did I not make that connection twelve years ago god I was a loving idiot back then :stare: *snip*

[No talking about future games in the series! -Jordan]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 11, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i don't remember if it was brought up in the olympus vids but apparently james woods just agrees to voice hades no matter what. even for little pay, or something? he likes the role so much that he'll even agree to be in these weird-rear end anime games that inexplicably include disney villains. maybe gilbert gottfried is the same way.
Yeah I mentioned it before but James Woods pretty much is willing to be Hades anytime because he loves the character. Gilbert Gottfried just loves being Gilbert Gottfried, he knows people love his squawky-as-gently caress voice and he rides that loving train all the way to the twitter bank.

I do agree with Chorps that the performance of Genie in this game is rather oddly stiff compared to the others, which is weird because you'd expect Dan Castellaneta of all people to be able to not be stiff when not doing the Simpsons.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

what a nice LP. Too bad someone broke of the the thread rules IN THE loving VIDEO.
Seriously Jordan, don't spoil poo poo about Kentucky Fried Hearts: Chain of Restaurants

we have rules for this in the thread and everything.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Looper posted:

Sea Turtle Goofy is adorable in a way that makes me profoundly uncomfortable
Sea Goofy is loving fantastic, look at the way he just spins with violent excitement. :haw:

Also, fun fact the original voice actress for Ariel, Jodi Benson, still voices Ariel in Kingdom Hearts. Actually I think everybody from The Little Mermaid reprised their roles here. Ariel is my favourite ally in the game, she just seemed a lot more useful and quicker to attack than the other characters are, that and she has some pretty sick magic in handling the Heartless.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 8, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

ariel is alright, she's the best one we've seen so far but i don't think she's outright number one. its mostly just that she does a bunch of mage stuff and she does it better than donald.
She's also much more physically powerful than Donald at least far as I can see because Donald just whacks people with a loving stick, whereas Ariel just SPINS LIKE A FUCKIN' CYCLONE STRAIGHT INTO THE DARKNESS LIKE SHE DON'T GIVE A poo poo

And that is awesome, at least in terms of magic and physical she's got more packing than Donald does really.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

bobjr posted:

If you look at the stats the world specific party members are a few levels ahead and have higher stats by default. Basically meaning that if they're physical put them in for Goofy and if they're magical put them in for Donald, since he's good if you make him focus on support like casting cure and aero.
Which is a good design honestly since a new player's going to be rather curious to try new allies and they want to make them stronger to help with damage output on new enemies.

The BEST ally, which I'm sure FutureFriend will agree with, is coming up in the next world after Atlantica I think, somebody who wrecks hard on both physical and magical but I won't say who. Either way it's going to be fabulous.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

I believe Jane learns to speak gorilla, if that's at all useful or interesting to you.
At least in the series spin-off, there is some sort of mutual acceptance that the animals still speak animal, and that Jane and the Professor were basically taught how to speak to them by Tarzan since only Jane and the Professor talk to them. None of the other humans from other countries in the series ever speak to the animals and neither do the animals know how to talk to them. So it's subtle, but it's there that Jane does learn to speak it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

sora shouldve worn a trenchcoat and also been given some slick uzis + hanzo steel
Dammit FF nobody cares about Red Steel anymore just please stop

we don't need no WiiHanzoMotion PlusSteel round these parts

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

majormonotone posted:

I think that out of Monstro, Atlantica, and Halloween Town, you only need to do two.
Theoretically yes, because all you need to do is reach the world that lies after either of those two to progress the plot.
You know, that second world to the right that's straight on?

There is actually nothing in terms of event flag in any of those three worlds that are important except for Monstro, who I believe will ALWAYS swallow you after finishing one of those two worlds and which in itself becomes a plot point because of Riku screwing about with dark forces.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Real talk, I would love to live in a world where the weather is mediocre forever and not quite winter just yet. That is my poo poo right there.

Also I had no idea that the Oogie-Boogie fight was so...incredibly complex in all the variety it offers OR the fact he can heal himself. Thanks for showing that off FutureFriend :)

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 4, 2016

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

im a northern european so basicly anything above and under 20 degrees celsius will cause my death
Finally someone understands, all these americans loving joke but when my country is but a scorched wasteland of T-shirt weather they'll be sorry

you'll all be sorry for mocking me and my low tolerance to heat temperatures

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Design-wise, being trapped on only the ship was pretty terrible with Neverland, but I agree that what they did with the characters was flawless. Hook is absolutely fantastic in this game just for nailing his wily caricature.

Fun fact, Wendy's voice actor is the same woman from the original Peter Pan film, Kathryn Beaumont. The same lady who as a little girl, voiced Alice in the Disney movie Alice in Wonderland and yes, she voiced Alice here in Kingdom Hearts too.
So that's awesome. :)

TwoPair posted:

It's been a while since I've seen Peter Pan, so maybe I'm not up on my rich Neverland lore, but I'm pretty sure the crocodile will eat anyone, but it is indeed hungry for Hook's other hand, which is why he's so drat afraid of it.

e: after spending a shameful amount of time on wikipedia, yeah the crocodile is just a normal-rear end crocodile so it'll presumably eat anything/one, it just chases Hook around because it really wants that other hand. Also, fun hosed up fairy tale fact that you may have forgotten since you were a kid: Hook isn't missing a hand because the crocodile bit it off or anything, Peter Pan loving cut it off and fed it to the croc to give it a taste for human flesh like a psychopath.
As someone who lives only five miles away from Peter Pan's creator's birthplace, I can confirm that the story is pretty amazingly hosed up because of the biggest moral involved.

Children have no sense of right or wrong.

Not unlike wizards, except children don't know any better. I mean there was that one time in the book when Tinkerbell is legit jealous of Wendy's affections for Peter Pan, she flies ahead to the Lost Boys and tricks them to loving shoot her down and they almost LEGIT murder her if it wasn't for an acorn pendant she wore blocking an arrow inches from her heart.
Children are innocent, but that does not necessarily mean pure and sweet. It just means they do not know right from wrong and they need someone like say, a mother figure, in order for them to not grow up into sociopaths. That was the big lesson of the story and I think that's something we all can agree on as amoral children of the internet.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Thank god you have experience with gangs with the 50 Cent games or you'd never have found a way to resolve peacefully the takeover of the TWA on Rabbit's Patch.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 16, 2016

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

bobjr posted:

Do the Winnie the Pooh characters even understand the concept of death?
Eeyore does but only in the sense that it is the infinite nothingness. The great howling silence that screams whenever he sits beneath the house of sticks that he constructs for himself.

Frail and bitter like the winterous breeze of discontent in Autumn, he has no name for it, but only the sensation of a blissful cold that never ends hoping that one day he never wakes up from it. Sleep is the only thing he wishes for every day to be the gift that keeps on giving and to never stop. Never again.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Ah yes, PoPo's Bizarre 100-Acre Adventure where he had the power to stop Time with his stand Sora.

I love Disney Animes, they're the best animes of all time. :)

TwoPair posted:

So wait, the summons are all survivors of dead worlds, right? Jesus, as if Bambi's life couldn't get worse. "Well your mom's dead... and so is everyone else you've known or loved, Bambi!"
"Your motherworld's never coming back, Bambi."

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 23, 2016

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Bruceski posted:

There should be a duo summon of Bambi and Littlefoot. I don't CARE if Land Before Time wasn't Disney.
Well I mean TECHNICALLY Littlefoot did die in the original version of the movie...:tinfoil: maybe he can come back like an Obi-Wan Kenobi spirit or something.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I know the VA for Maleficent in Kingdom Hearts isn't the original but holy poo poo whoever voiced her for this game did a bang-up job cuz that cackle during the fight she loving nails it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

i got like 2 extra off-screen. im drowning in rare shields, i don't know how to get rid of them, they haunt me.
u fukkin poo poo thassit im reporting u to the anime police right now this is flagrant-rear end shield-making GBS threads cock there are people in traverse town that dont even HAVE shields you goddamn nerd

Seriously I'm a little sad we're reaching the end of the game pretty soon because quite frankly I've had the best drat time listening to your guys' commentary on a rainy day or so. I dunno if you're going to cover KH2 and if you're not I totally understand because oh my god but, either way, it's been rad. :)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

plan is to eventually cover all the kingdom hearts games if others are still up for it but i learned my lesson from previous lps with doing that poo poo all in a row. so there will be other projects in-between.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah that's understandable, those games can drag on quiiiiiite a bit so I think it's definitely a smart idea to just break that up with other silly fun poo poo so you don't burn out with that stuff.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

This video has now been flagged for copyright violation of [Toiletflusher.wav] by [Future][FRIEND].

I absolutely love this last level and I agree that this uh first part did not need to be so orbular. The part after this I love absolutely love as something of an introspective for all that you've traversed through to get here. It's simple and kinda cliché but I like it still, also the music is awesome right here. Seriously, this world has the absolute best music of the game.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 22, 2016

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The first three fights was just Ansem being really poo poo at the Junction system from FF8 and he finally understands it enough for the final fight to go straight into Griever mode.

See, had you junctioned Dumbo into your soul you would have had this poo poo done in like five minutes. Also can't wait for the other vids, I was wondering when you would finish up the rest of the dumb poo poo because god I love the optional stuff.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 9, 2016

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Tobias Grant posted:

Lance Bass being Sephiroth will never not be one of my favorite voice castings. Simply because it's so loving out there that no one would believe it if it wasn't in the credits.
It's loving bizarre and to his credit he did a pretty decent job of being the "calm sociopath" vibe you sorta get from him, at least in my opinion.

Then they got the voice of George Newbern a.k.a loving Superman from the old Warner Bros. animated series to voice as him in further FF instalments such as Dissidia. And to be fair, he does make Sephiroth sound pretty loving intimidating in those games.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

My sister was scared as hell about that donkey transformation scene in Pinocchio, and my dad was sorta creeped out too. He also thought there were some Christian undertones to the whole movie, and he's about as atheist as you can get without posting on Reddit. I watched it a couple of times as a kid, but I never thought much of it either way. It was just there.
I was absolutely terrified of the donkey transforming scene to the point that I swore from that day to never even TRY to run away from home for whatever reason. Not that I ever had a reason, but that was just like an oath I made to myself at 5. It's still one of my fave movies from them though.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

GodofDiscord posted:

I'm pretty sure that being scared of the donkey transformation scene is perfectly reasonable. I'm also sure that, when the kid was transforming into a donkey he sounded absolutely terrified. And then the followup is dozens of these children getting rounded up into... gently caress it's been forever since I watched Pinocchio. Cells, I think? And the implication is that they are all getting sold into slavery.
Pinocchio is really hosed up.

Also speaking of the little wooden puppet, wasn't there a sequel to that?
Pinocchio surprisingly never got a sequel, the closest he got was a SNES game a drat good 50 years after the movie came out. And yes, the implication was that bad children turn into jackasses (literally) who then become Hollow of that world and are forced to then lose their humanity before being sold into slavery within the salt mines of Anor Londo.

I only made up twenty percent of that.

On the note of Peter Pan, the whole child murder and the fact that "Peter Pan is a sociopath" is kind of exactly what he does in the original story because JM Barrie made the point of how "children actually have no sense of right or wrong, therefore if they do awful poo poo, you can't really blame them when nobody's around to teach them how to be people", basically. Racism aside, there is one very cool thing about Peter Pan.

The rights to Peter Pan are owned by the Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital in London, after JM Barrie gave them the rights so they hospital would remain open after saying "gee it would be awesome if my story about murderous kids actually SAVED children by making sure every single play, novel, movie or interpretation of this story has to give a part of its profits to the hospital by legal contract".

Disney surprisingly tried to weasel the gently caress out of this and are the only company to ever try to dodge this mandate when in 2003, they pulled out of the production of the first live-action Peter Pan movie over their refusal to pay part of the profits to the hospital.

Then they realised that would make them seem incredibly lovely so in 2008 they partnered up with the Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity and went on to raise more than £10 million for it. Which, yanno, is better late than never.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 12, 2016

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Tobias Grant posted:

Is Hook not considered to be a Peter Pan movie? Because that movie came out in 1991.
It is, but that movie was not Disney. And yes the producers of Hook honoured the contractual agreement to pay the agreed percentage of the movie's profits to the Great Ormond Street Hospital. The copyright of Peter Pan expired in 2008 but most people tend to still give profits to the hospital out of respect to JM Barrie.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I preferred Land Before Time 27: the search for the only video store to order copies of LBT 26.

Sure can't wait for Littlefoot Returns: The Land Before Time XIII, I hear that one is much better than the original LBTXIII!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Hades may not be Satan but he did date-rape Demeter's daughter, Persephone, with pomegranate seeds being the rohypnol of its day. Disney sorta omitted that part because in truth, Hades is actually a pretty chill guy in the original pantheon except the fact that he's "a bit rapey". At the very least he's nowhere near as monstrous as Hera was in the original stories.

To the point he made a pretty lovely deal with Demeter that amounts to "I won't date-rape anyone ever again if you let me have your daughter then I'll marry her and then we let her come back home for at least half the year". During which Demeter gets all sad which is why according to Greeks, we have autumn and then winter to reflect her mood, being the goddess of nature that she is. The worst part is that he's the nicest of his brothers since Poseidon is the Donald Trump of Greek pantheon and Zeus just can't stop loving everything that moves which pretty much ruins a lot of things for both him, his family and mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ultimately Hades is the best of the Greek Pantheon because he doesn't really mess with humans, and when he does it's because they go to him not him going to them. In comparison Zeus can't keep it in his pants and loves mortals, whilst Poseidon is an angry old man out at sea who just loves to rage like a storm. Also for what it's worth the whole abducting a girl from her home after getting permission from her father/mother/local ruler is a legitimate marriage ceremony in ancient Greece as I understand it.
Pretty much, I've heard three versions of that story but all of them agree at the very least that compared to his brothers, Hades is not the worst person because he doesn't at least gently caress with mortals unless they come to him. Poseidon is just a bad loser, like the Xbox Live teenager of his day and yes ancient Greece like a lot of the ancient world was pretty creepy about that stuff so...yeah, even back then Hades was considered "an okay dude who's kinda weird on Persephone but won't be a dick unless you act like one to him".

• Locked thread