Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Budget Prefuse posted:

Monogatari FTW!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy_Im1FAeXQ
Trailer for his new series with an intro directed by Shinbo
"When you have craned your neck, please call a detective. The fastest detective is also a forgetful detective."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Postal Parcel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy_Im1FAeXQ
Trailer for his new series with an intro directed by Shinbo
"When you have craned your neck, please call a detective. The fastest detective is also a forgetful detective."

That thing is getting a jdrama in October.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

darkgray posted:

That thing is getting a jdrama in October.

drat that was fast.
And he's ALREADY on the third book, that's insane

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Postal Parcel posted:

drat that was fast.

Books 4 and 5 are scheduled for October and December or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

drat that was fast.
The dude writes at a breakneck pace. Even if the novels are fairly short, he still pumps out like 4-5 a year.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

The dude writes at a breakneck pace. Even if the novels are fairly short, he still pumps out like 4-5 a year.

6 books last year, should be 8 this year unless they announce even more poo poo.
I suppose he's calmed down a bit since 2007, when he released 15 novels (12 of which were Katanagatari).

Trying to keep up with his publishing pace is hopeless. My pile of unread titles is just growing and growing.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Translate your pile for me please

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I wonder what makes him write so furiously, anyway. Wikipedia says he's been averaging about 1 million books sold yearly since 2010, and with each novel going for around 1300 yen, it means over 50 million dollars in sales. Add to that the absurd success of the Bakemonogatari anime, and you'd think the man would have enough money to procrastinate. Not that I know how much his royalty percentage is.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

maybe he enjoys it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The art of baps

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

edit: thought this was the Hunnie Pop thread

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Normie Slayer posted:

edit: thought this was the Hunnie Pop thread

Easy mistake

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

darkgray posted:

I wonder what makes him write so furiously, anyway. Wikipedia says he's been averaging about 1 million books sold yearly since 2010, and with each novel going for around 1300 yen, it means over 50 million dollars in sales. Add to that the absurd success of the Bakemonogatari anime, and you'd think the man would have enough money to procrastinate. Not that I know how much his royalty percentage is.

Look, the man just wants to make enough to fund research that will successfully make waifus real.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

darkgray posted:

Books 4 and 5 are scheduled for October and December or something.

Endorph posted:

Well, no fear of a Miura/Togashi break then.
On a side note, is there a way to get his books on Kindle? Like, do you have to use a proxy or something, because I'd love to have a (non-physical) copy of the books

Paracelsus posted:

Look, the man just wants to make enough to fund research that will successfully make waifus real.

We just need to make oculus rift a real virtual reality thing

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

maybe he enjoys it

yah

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, I dunno man...

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

IsolatedIncident
Oct 24, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

On a side note, is there a way to get his books on Kindle? Like, do you have to use a proxy or something, because I'd love to have a (non-physical) copy of the books

I don't think any of the Monogatari books have Kindle versions, but his new series they were talking about at the top of the page you can buy from Amazon.jp: http://www.amazon.co.jp/ebook/dp/B00NXIJY0I/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1441230230&sr=1-4

And yeah, if you're not in Japan it may take effort setting up an Amazon.jp account.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Are they finally going to tell the story about how he and Shinobu met? Because that's the only thing I'm still interested in at this point.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

of course. the kizumonogatari movie is Coming Soon™ (in 2020)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Budget Prefuse posted:

of course. the kizumonogatari movie is Coming Soon™ (in 2020)

Followed by NGE 4.44

IsolatedIncident posted:

I don't think any of the Monogatari books have Kindle versions, but his new series they were talking about at the top of the page you can buy from Amazon.jp: http://www.amazon.co.jp/ebook/dp/B00NXIJY0I/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1441230230&sr=1-4

And yeah, if you're not in Japan it may take effort setting up an Amazon.jp account.

Yeah, I was talking about the Kyouko series. I've got a JP account, but it won't let me buy Kindle stuff since I'm not actually in Japan...
If I use a proxy, would that allow me to get the books? And would I need to do it for both the Kindle and the web purchase?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I bet Evangelion 4.44 comes out before the 3.33 Blu-ray does in the US.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Postal Parcel posted:

Yeah, I was talking about the Kyouko series. I've got a JP account, but it won't let me buy Kindle stuff since I'm not actually in Japan...
If I use a proxy, would that allow me to get the books? And would I need to do it for both the Kindle and the web purchase?

I've never bought an e-book, so I'm somewhat useless for this matter, but eBookJapan have a page saying they supposedly accept buyers from outside Japan. I don't think you can read their format on a Kindle, though.

I get all my paper editions from Honto, and they sell a lot of e-books as well, but don't officially seem to accept overseas customers, so it's a bit of a gamble. Much cheaper, though? Again no Kindle, however. Unless there's a converter somewhere.

If you change your Kindle to Japanese language and add a Japanese address to the Kindle Store settings, it might be possible to make purchases even if you don't have a Japanese IP, but I don't really have an address to try it with.

You can read Japanese, I hope? Bit of a waste of money if not. There's a Japanese blog entry on buying e-books from beyond the digital borders here with more alternatives.

Edit: Someone in the comments on the blog above mentions buying from Neowing, so maybe that could work. Pretty sure there's an epub to kindle converter too.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 3, 2015

IsolatedIncident
Oct 24, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

What I had to do was set up my account using a Japanese address. Forwarding sites can give you a legal address to ship/bill to. I used Tenso since it was free to set up (they only charge when you use them to ship something physical) and I haven't had any dealings with them since then. After I got the account set up I had to use a Japanese VPN exactly once to log into Amazon.jp. After that, I guess they decided their due diligence was done and I haven't needed to use once since.

When I first started out I would buy them on my PC and read them on my phone (normal Kindle app from the US App store). After that I got a proper (US) Kindle and have used that to buy and read from Amazon.jp. I never did any vpn/proxy stuff on my phone or kindle.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

darkgray posted:

I've never bought an e-book, so I'm somewhat useless for this matter, but eBookJapan have a page saying they supposedly accept buyers from outside Japan. I don't think you can read their format on a Kindle, though.

I get all my paper editions from Honto, and they sell a lot of e-books as well, but don't officially seem to accept overseas customers, so it's a bit of a gamble. Much cheaper, though? Again no Kindle, however. Unless there's a converter somewhere.

If you change your Kindle to Japanese language and add a Japanese address to the Kindle Store settings, it might be possible to make purchases even if you don't have a Japanese IP, but I don't really have an address to try it with.

You can read Japanese, I hope? Bit of a waste of money if not. There's a Japanese blog entry on buying e-books from beyond the digital borders here with more alternatives.

Edit: Someone in the comments on the blog above mentions buying from Neowing, so maybe that could work. Pretty sure there's an epub to kindle converter too.

Oh cool, thanks!(To you and IsoInc)
Neowing looks pretty cool, and I can use paypal too, which is pretty great. As far as the conversion, I have a good ol' American* programs(Calibre) for that :smug:
I am glad that it's in ePub format because the others seemed to use mostly proprietary or web browser based formats.
*Programs may or may not be American

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

It's going to be pretty hard to take this show seriously:

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i started watching bakemonogatari because i want to watch them all before the new one airs and it is insanely cool how liberally it takes its visual and editing cues from 60s godard movies hahahaha

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I finished Nisemonogatari today and I liked it, except for the toothbrush scene. That was just kind of uncomfortable.

Do they drop him perving on his sister going forward? It's an aspect of the show I could do without.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ararararagi is always a perv

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Erg posted:

Do they drop him perving on his sister going forward? It's an aspect of the show I could do without.

Aahahahhahahahahah. Ha ha. Hee

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I could guess the answer before I asked, but I still had hope. It's not really a deal breaker, just something that makes me shake my head a little.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

there are no more teethbrushing scenes so dont worry there

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm gonna repeat it here in the official thread. Hanekawa is better than senjougahara, waifu wise

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Namtab posted:

I'm gonna repeat it here in the official thread. Hanekawa is better than senjougahara, waifu wise

Hanekawa pushed Senjougahara towards an inferior short hair cut, so no.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Erg posted:

Hanekawa pushed Senjougahara towards an inferior short hair cut, so no.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

you can't stop the truth with kawaii as heck pics

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Hmmmmm

Okay short hair is good

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA