Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

lionlegs posted:

having a (usually badly informed) preference to go to a certain country

Not too surprising that we (and France) figure heavily in that, of course, in that migrants from Africa are way more likely to speak English or French than, like, Polish. Thanks colonialism!

Edit: 7BC - Jesus is born! Maybe. Obviously as a filthy long haired middle easterner, these days we'd send him right back where he came from rather than, I dunno, composing 'Jerusalem'.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I find it ironic that it is possible refugees going all out to get here (they aren't) is bastards like the Mail trumpeting how this country is a haven for benefit (it isn't) could be blamed for preferences to come here. But the figures I saw earlier we are the lowest recipient, 4% versus Germany's 35%. Thats totally loving shameful.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BigPaddy posted:

You guys need to come out here to the US for a bit and see how real institutional racism and an informed electorate really looks like. Keep in mind that in some polls Donald Trump is still in the lead for the Republican Presidential nomination, this is a man who has claimed that Mexico sends their rapists and murderers to the US and he will build a wall to keep them out and make Mexico pay for it.

I mean it is not like the UK is perfect or even close but sometimes I get the feeling that you guys come on a bit strong about its undeniable problems.

You don't think someone over here wouldn't propose a wall if we didn't already have a rather large moat? Hungary's certainly happy to build one.

Edit: I did spend about 10 years living in the US, btw, and the 'heartland' not the coasts. I'm not sure there's that much difference either way, though in the UK our more centralised government keeps things a bit more tamped. Yorkshire or Cornwall can't vote to build walls on their borders or turn their local police authorities into a wannabe version of the Army; Arizona or Texas can.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 2, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I gotta confess that I'm woefully ignorant about the real situation of migrant movements and numbers, beyond the fact that I know the media and government are habitual, compulsive liars and therefore not to be trusted. It'd be nice if somebody could do a little effort post on migration into and through the EU, or perhaps point to some existing summaries.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Where may I receive guidance on the Correct choices for the Labour ballot? I remember there being some links in the last thread buried somewhere.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Oberleutnant posted:

I gotta confess that I'm woefully ignorant about the real situation of migrant movements and numbers, beyond the fact that I know the media and government are habitual, compulsive liars and therefore not to be trusted. It'd be nice if somebody could do a little effort post on migration into and through the EU, or perhaps point to some existing summaries.

Well part of the issue is no one knows their movement or numbers. Everything is guesswork and the papers have an obvious preference for going with the most shocking numbers.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

BigPaddy posted:

You guys need to come out here to the US for a bit and see how real institutional racism and an informed electorate really looks like. Keep in mind that in some polls Donald Trump is still in the lead for the Republican Presidential nomination, this is a man who has claimed that Mexico sends their rapists and murderers to the US and he will build a wall to keep them out and make Mexico pay for it.

I mean it is not like the UK is perfect or even close but sometimes I get the feeling that you guys come on a bit strong about its undeniable problems.

The UKIP candidate here, who was also (briefly) a UKIP MP was openly talking about forced-repatriation for people who are here Legally at local hustings

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

Yeah the only way that Europe is going to be able to handle the levels of immigration without resorting to transportation chaos like the Tunnel or Budapest is an EU wide immigration policy meaning registering doesnt strand you in the country you've registered in combined with some means of expressing preferences to the service about where you want to end up.

An EU wide system wouldn't work if people were homed based on where they want to go rather than placed proportionally.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I travel frequently to the U.S. and from my experience folks there definitely put more emphasis on race. Like, they treat your race as a foundation for your personality more than what kind of person you actually are. E.g. black friends complaining that their other black friends are acting white. Or everyone assuming that if you're a cracker you should only like XYZ

I haven't noticed such a strong presence of that in Britain, but I'm a white dude who lives in London and the places that I frequently visit in the U.S. are SF and Boston. I've never seen or heard anyone complain about Mexicans, tho.

quote:

An EU wide system wouldn't work if people were homed based on where they want to go rather than placed proportionally.

Something tells me you'd be greeted with a lot of bitching if a lottery system were to be established to randomly allocate migrants based on proportional placement quotas. Imagine if some refuges were told they're going to Estonia and not the UK.

But sometimes I catch myself thinking that Australia's approach to refugees is good and that the Tories are doing a great job. That's when I have an existential crisis and start rocking back and forth with my arms wrapped around my knees. I partly blame that on being a small company owner who ~bootstrapped~ when in reality I'm just extremely fortunate and lucky to have been at the right place at the right time.

I also didn't vote for Corbyn because I have a defective Tory brain cell somewhere. Please help.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 2, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I think the volume of spilled water would be about three times that of the dog.

Then I'm afraid that you need a license to operate a dog of that magnitude, £100 a month.

People with sedate dogs on the other hand, are fine.

The system works.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Bozza can your drum corps do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxsffsSyFaM

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Bozza can your drum corps do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMGrIwLj7gU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

If the system didn't take their desired destination into account (even if it didnt alway take them there) then the status quo would continue as they continue to travel across the continent rather than register and end up wherever.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

awesome-express posted:

I travel frequently to the U.S. and from my experience folks there definitely put more emphasis on race. Like, they treat your race as a foundation for your personality more than what kind of person you actually are. E.g. black friends complaining that their other black friends are acting white. Or everyone assuming that if you're a cracker you should only like XYZ

I haven't noticed such a strong presence of that in Britain, but I'm a white dude who lives in London and the places that I frequently visit in the U.S. are SF and Boston. I've never seen or heard anyone complain about Mexicans, tho.

Something tells me you'd be greeted with a lot of bitching if a lottery system were to be established to randomly allocate migrants based on proportional placement quotas. Imagine if some refuges were told they're going to Estonia and not the UK.

But sometimes I catch myself thinking that Australia's approach to refugees is good and that the Tories are doing a great job. That's when I have an existential crisis and start rocking back and forth with my arms wrapped around my knees. I partly blame that on being a small company owner who ~bootstrapped~ when in reality I'm just extremely fortunate and lucky to have been at the right place at the right time.

I also didn't vote for Corbyn because I have a defective Tory brain cell somewhere. Please help.

I prescribe 1x9mm to be taken orally once a day for one day :commissar:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

If the system didn't take their desired destination into account (even if it didnt alway take them there) then the status quo would continue as they continue to travel across the continent rather than register and end up wherever.

Then the system will fail.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

Then the system will fail.

So we've got a unsustainable status quo, a solution which you don't think will work and.....

Walls and attack helicopters?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Oberleutnant posted:

I prescribe 1x9mm to be taken orally once a day for one day :commissar:

ACTUALLY I THINK U WILL FIND IT IS 9x19MM THANK YOU
\
:stoat:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

namesake posted:

So we've got a unsustainable status quo, a solution which you don't think will work and.....

They could film it and play it on newsreels for the Proles.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

A solution where a couple of EU countries take on all of the problem of housing migrants is not an EU wide solution.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

namesake posted:

i think we should get the SBS to train combat sharks to hunt migrants before they ever reach :britain: the white cliffs of dover :britain: personally

Regarde Aduck posted:

\
foiled again!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

\

Surely 7.62x25mm would be more appropriate?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
From time to time in our great island story it falls to one man - Big Dave - to lead our people out of the shadow of the valley of equality and fellow humanity, and into the sunlit uplands of mass deportations of migrants to the war-torn hellhole that we created and they only just escaped from. :britain:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

A solution where a couple of EU countries take on all of the problem of housing migrants is not an EU wide solution.

So cancel the rule requiring them to register in the first EU country they arrive in?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

So cancel the rule requiring them to register in the first EU country they arrive in?

This will do nothing to help provide an EU-wide solution nor help these people become integrated members of society wherever they end up.

I don't believe that the free movement of people throughout Europe is compatible with an EU-wide solution to this problem.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

eu could allocate extra refugees to places with an offer of bonus funding

e: and use the bonus funding to make those places nicer for both refugees and residents

Phoon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 2, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

awesome-express posted:

The Tories aren't actually out to help small businesses, they're out to help large businesses and in areas where the two aren't the same you're going to get hosed over. That's why Corbyn has specifically been talking about measures to help small businesses. Furthermore, all the anti-immigration sentiment is completely independent of that.

Remember that "the Australian approach" is literal actual concentration camps

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

We could have a military capable of this if we didn't waste all the money on Trident and Air-craft Carriers (with no planes)

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

From time to time in our great island story it falls to one man - Big Dave - to lead our people out of the shadow of the valley of equality and fellow humanity, and into the sunlit uplands of mass deportations of migrants to the war-torn hellhole that we created and they only just escaped from. :britain:

Checks out.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Renfield posted:

We could have a military capable of this if we didn't waste all the money on Trident and Air-craft Carriers (with no planes)
Those guys are civilians.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_Wheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwL_2FS_sOw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The manoeuvre is not written down,[1] but is instead passed down from one generation to the next.
loving :lol: Britain is terrified of writing anything down.

If we put the constitution or an absolute guaranteed right or the rules to playing spin wheel down in writing then literate commoners might be able to gain its secrets.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Meh, some skills just don't transmit very effectively in written form.

Also, where the gently caress would you even begin describing that thing anyway? (the spinwheel, not a constitution...)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably using an accepted notational form, same as how music or dance might be written down. And then a guide to translate that. It just struck me as amusing how the first thing on the page was "this does not exist in writing anywhere" as if it was one of the secrets of the alchemists that they kept to themselves instead of advancing science, or the burial rituals of some god-king.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Does the wikipedia article not have a painfully detailed description that goes above and beyond all that is reasonable then? If only the Spin Wheel was anime we wouldn't be in this mess.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ukle posted:

That's a whole different kettle of fish and one I have a lot of experience with for reasons I can't go into. But the British Institutions at least are significantly less racist towards Romanies than any other country in Europe, hence why there has been a large amount movement from Romany communities in many Central and Eastern European countries to the UK. A whole lot of work more needs to be done on this one, but it is the only area where there is any discrimination by the average citizen, over time it will be fixed as all Romanies generally want is the chance to not be persecuted like they are in most of Europe.

The Tories still ran on an explicitly anti-Romani platform in 2005.

Also, the official term for Romani is "gypsy". :negative:

Acaila posted:

Just seen on Facebook that a guy I know has not only been purged, but expelled from Labour after five years of membership and banned from becoming a member again for five years. I'm guessing this is maybe a result of his student communist days, but dude is an active member in good standing, and has been campaigning a lot for. ....well you guess which leadership candidate.

I know someone who was purged and expelled for joking he was a Red Tory.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 12, 2015

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Tories aren't actually out to help small businesses, they're out to help large businesses and in areas where the two aren't the same you're going to get hosed over. That's why Corbyn has specifically been talking about measures to help small businesses. Furthermore, all the anti-immigration sentiment is completely independent of that.

Remember that "the Australian approach" is literal actual concentration camps

Please don't copy us, read some of the many many articles about what Australia has done with refugees. There are a couple of interviews with people who had worked in the camps too and it's enough to make you cry.

There are 8 year old kids self harming, loving 8 years old. It's absolutely disgusting and if you even for a minute think it's a standard to work towards please read about the realities of the situation. They actually are literal concentration camps, only a half step away from outright executing the people locked up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The news has done a very good job of not mentioning that. I've had many conversations with people where they've said "I think we should copy the Australian system" and been shocked or disbelieving when I mentioned the camps and conditions.

I was surprised to see the offshore concentration camps even mentioned on the news a couple of days ago, apparently there are investigations being started into them. That news may have been Al Jazeera and not BBC/ITV though.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
So there's going to be a Corbyn victory party in trafalgar square apparently. Hopefully a few of the fire-fighters union lot will come down, they are famous for sitting in the Chandos buying rounds.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If Burnham wins, we riot.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The news has done a very good job of not mentioning that. I've had many conversations with people where they've said "I think we should copy the Australian system" and been shocked or disbelieving when I mentioned the camps and conditions.

I was surprised to see the offshore concentration camps even mentioned on the news a couple of days ago, apparently there are investigations being started into them. That news may have been Al Jazeera and not BBC/ITV though.

I'm glad the brave journalists of Al Jazeera, salaries paid in full by the Qatari royal family, are firmly calling Australia out for migrant abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's almost as if they're more likely to call the White Commonwealth out on their bullshit than the BBC are, and vice versa.

• Locked thread