Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

squarerandom posted:

:lol: how does something of such a poor production value happen?

It's probably intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

canoshiz posted:

Speaking of non-champions,

Pictured: Champion Jose Aldo vs challenger Conor McGregor

What a joke

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

-Atom- posted:

What a joke

Aldo winning will be so drat magical :allears:

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Sam Stout retired, y'all.

When the guy that just KOd you retiresd, it's a sign that it's time to hang em up.
He lost his last 3, so he was likely going to be cut from the UFC anyways.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Like, it's amazing that there's a stock photo of Aldo without a belt

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Seltzer posted:

It's probably intentional

Without a doubt it was.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Full interview on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz82WTMnszE

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
lol McGregor is literally the great white hope

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I can't shake the feeling that Conor is going to get ripped apart at lightweight.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Le Saboteur posted:

I can't shake the feeling that Conor is going to get ripped apart at lightweight.

So is he planning to do this regardless of whether or not he gets past Aldo. Because there's a very real likelihood that's a thing that may not happen. Is the arena for their fight equipped to handle the floodwaters that will be Dana's tears if Aldo wins?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

theradiostillsucks posted:

So is he planning to do this regardless of whether or not he gets past Aldo. Because there's a very real likelihood that's a thing that may not happen. Is the arena for their fight equipped to handle the floodwaters that will be Dana's tears if Aldo wins?

He's talking up all the angles as he is a drat smart promoter. Based on that interview he talked up like 3 different possible big money fights for himself. He did mention moving up to lightweight if he destroys Aldo. But I'd really like to see him face the winner of Edgar/Mendes before that happens which he also talked up.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
At lw he won't have a lot of the huge physical advantages he has at fw, but he won't be undersized for the division

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He would cut much more easily to LW too

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It would be cool to see Beneil Dariush take him down and immediately sub McGregor.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marcelo Alonso posted:

Talking about Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is not something that is easy for me to do, mainly because it is impossible for me as a journalist to give a professional opinion about him. As coincidence would have it, he nearly became a close family member of mine prior to becoming a vale tudo fighter.

Everything started in 1997, when my sister went to the famous Carnival of Salvador, where she was introduced to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. They fell in love, and Rogerio moved from Salvador to Rio de Janeiro to enroll in law school. My father once worked as an attorney, and helped set up Rogerio with his studies and even secured a trainee job for him at his firm.

By that time, Rogerio’s twin brother was winning all the state jiu-jitsu titles as a brown belt in Bahia, where there was not great Brazilian jiu-jitsu tradition. In 1998, Rodrigo came to Rio and took the Brazilian Nationals by storm, winning gold at heavyweight and in the absolute division at brown belt. Upon seeing a baiano dominate in BJJ in Rio, he had my full attention.

After he won double gold, “Minotauro” came to my house to thank my father, Luiz, for everything he had done for Rogerio. “Minotauro” became an unlikely member of my extended family from then on. My father had been hooked on combat sports since the 1950s and had even seen Carlson Gracie fight Waldemar Santana at Maracanazinho in ’55. “Minotauro” mentioned he had already done some boxing, so my dad suggested that I do a story on him, as I was the editor of Tatame magazine at the time. The next weekend, I went to Bahia to cover his training sessions at his then-trainer Guilherme Assad’s gym, but I recall him not being too concerned about getting his name in the magazine. I was starting to consider focusing my story more on the new BJJ scene in Bahia, when “Minotauro” invited me to share some acai on the beach with him.

In Salvador’s 100-degree heat, he took off his shirt, exposing the scars from his accident when he was 10 years old. I was left awestruck when he told me about waking up from his coma, spending a year in the hospital, overcoming his physical injuries and becoming a jiu-jitsu champion. We talked about boxing again, and I mentioned to him that a local promoter, Frederico Lapenda, was looking for a legitimate jiu-jitsu fighter to face Igor Vovchanchyn.

“Vale tudo is too violent,” he told me. “I’m not sure it’s for me yet.”

I closed my feature, “The Bahia Robocop,” with high praise and with what I thought was an honest assessment: “Minotauro has everything it takes to be a great vale tudo fighter. He’s big enough, with good boxing, a big heart, a good guard and, most importantly, a lot of luck. It seems time for him to unleash in the ring what that truck did to him as a kid.”

Since that day in Salvador, no fighter has thrilled me more in my 23 years of covering MMA than Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Shortly after I wrote my story, Nogueira moved in with his sister in Miami and began training with “Conan” Marcus Silveira, which led to World Extreme Fighting promoter Jamie Levine recruiting him and convincing him to step into the cage; it was the starting point for one of the greatest fighters in Brazilian history.

When “Minotauro” first came to Rio to train, he had no family nearby. Naturally, he grew closer to me and my father. He would stop by after his fights and give taped copies to my old man to watch, and eventually, he would start calling him from Japan after his bouts in Pride Fighting Championships. The Bob Sapp fight particularly thrills me to this day, as I remember my father in tears as he saw his friend and idol submit the giant after 14 minutes on the receiving end of a one-sided drubbing.

Two months after the Sapp bout, my dad had an aneurysm and was stuck in a coma for three months. When the Nogueira brothers heard my father needed blood donors, they rushed to the hospital immediately; “Minotauro” was unable to give blood, so he bribed his girlfriend to donate blood in his stead. Sadly, my dad passed away less than a month later, on Nov. 9, 2002. After my father’s death, Rodrigo’s wins became twice as powerful to me.

By the time he made it to the Ultimate Fighting Championship, I was watching him recover from three surgeries -- two hip, one knee -- that prevented him from walking for almost 18 months. Doctors told him they could not imagine him ever returning to MMA. Yet, there he was smiling like a child when he started his training camp for Brendan Schaub at the first UFC event in Rio. He knocked out Schaub, and to this day, it is the loudest, most emotional crowd I’ve ever heard, with all the people screaming, “The champ is back!”

I have been blessed to get to cover “Minotauro” Nogueira’s career as a fighter, but I’m more blessed to know him as a man. He is without question the best human being I have had the pleasure of meeting in my life. Thanks for everything, “Minotauro.”

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
The agony and the ecstasy

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

kensei posted:

Aldo winning will be so drat magical :allears:

I agree.

There's so much hype behind Conor it's hilarious. He's good, but drat people act like he's the second coming of Christ. I hope he loses badly.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I agree.

There's so much hype behind Conor it's hilarious. He's good, but drat people act like he's the second coming of Christ. I hope he loses badly.

The only person who acts like Conor is the Second Coming is Conor.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1o5d1I_Xpk&hd=1

I liked the cameraman desperately trying to keep up with Dodson as he sprinted through the airport

Also that Anthony Johnson walks around with a giant backpack full of food at all times

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

he might be

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I can't wait for Conor to win

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I like when conor wins because it's fun to watch everyone come up with reasons why it doesn't count.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dangersim posted:

I like when conor wins because it's fun to watch an increasingly dwindling number of people come up with reasons why it doesn't count.

Fixed that for you. For real it was like two or three people in abject denial out of the whole incredibly popular GDT after the Mendes win.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

It will be fun when Conor loses and becomes relegated to the "was always bad" crowd. A much more widespread problem in these threads.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

Fixed that for you. For real it was like two or three people in abject denial out of the whole incredibly popular GDT after the Mendes win.

Remember in the GDT during the fight all the people who called him a pathetic joke? It was more than 2 or 3.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Dangersim posted:

I like when conor wins because it's fun to watch everyone come up with reasons why it doesn't count.

There is always that. I don't like him, but he's talented and keeps winning, it's hard to argue with success.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I remember when he beat up holloway someone in the gdt was like "why are either of these guys on the ufc lol" which was cool because someone got so blinded by hatred they must have literally went blind.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

I remember when he beat up holloway someone in the gdt was like "why ate either of these guys on the ufc lol" which was cool because someone got so blinded by hatred they must have literally went blind.

Haha.

Really wanna see that rematch also

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

If Conor loses to Aldo I think they should do the Holloway rematch and have winner of Mendes/Edgar get a shot at Aldo.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

EmmyOk posted:

Remember in the GDT during the fight all the people who called him a pathetic joke? It was more than 2 or 3.

I do, but I also remember the aftermath being a lot more :stare: than :catstare:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

I do, but I also remember the aftermath being a lot more :stare: than :catstare:

Wait that's called cat stare? I thought it was face with hands on it's temples

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Regardless of the outcome of Aldo vs McGregor the aftermath will probably just as entertaining as the actual fight.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Even Dodson can't be bothered to stay in town for his fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1o5d1I_Xpk

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

It was me, and then a couple people quoted it. Idk why you're still salty about it

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Cerrowns

https://twitter.com/Cowboycerrone/status/639253215242883072

quote:

@Cowboycerrone
Just focus on your task at hand @TheNotoriousMMA you do realize you have to see me face to face in 2 days

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

I think Cowboy would eat him alive. But either way I'd pay to see that fight. I'd pay to see Cowboy fight anyone though.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Among the top 5 lightweights, I think Cowboy would probably be Conor's best match-up.

But gently caress me I'd love to see that fight. Ditto with the rest of the top 5.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Cowboy is taller and reach isn't an advantage for Conor. The fight would be cool as hell but it's a pick'em matchup IMO

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Conor is badass because he has a big mouth and can back it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Nothing more bad rear end than being gifted poo poo nonstop.

• Locked thread