Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Donald will bomb re-rename Denali to McKinley once he gets to office.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

If you Google almost any Democratic senator's name right now, the top sponsored result is from stopthebadirandeal dot com, with deep links to one-click call Senators Booker, Cardin, Manchin, and Bennett.

Twitter, too, is awash in sponsored ads attacking the deal. Between Wasserman-Schultz and Schumer defecting, I just don't see how the pro-Deal faction can marshal the money for a counter-blitz.

Still, I'm hopeful. 31-2 is a strong head start.

Apparently "engaging" i.e. replying to, a promoted tweet costs the advertiser between $0.50 and $4.00, use that information as you wish.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I feel like everyone is just glossing over the fact that having a personal server instead of the one the government wants you to use just allows you to ignore any form of oversight. Oh and then she [may?] have destroyed all the evidence by wiping the server, which is exactly why she wasn't supposed to have an independent server to begin with.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Shortest Path posted:

It's a joke about all the HILLARY BENGHAZI stuff that resurged with the email scandal.

That shouldn't be a surprise. The e-mail server thing was explicitly blown up by Trey Gowdy's Benghazi committee's fishing expedition. The e-mail scandal and Benghazi have been integrally linked from birth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HootTheOwl posted:

I feel like everyone is just glossing over the fact that having a personal server instead of the one the government wants you to use just allows you to ignore any form of oversight. Oh and then she [may?] have destroyed all the evidence by wiping the server, which is exactly why she wasn't supposed to have an independent server to begin with.

The "government" wanted her to use whatever server she so chooses, it was standard operating procedures since HW Bush's administration. She was "supposed" to have an independent server in that the rules explicitly allowed it and condoned it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

It showed bad judgement and a bunker mentality, but it won't sink her campaign.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

HootTheOwl posted:

Man, then I bet people are really mad about the Bush administration using RNC servers, and then wiping all the data without turning it over to anyone!

They aren't? Oh. Well. IOKIYAR strikes again!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Man, then I bet people are really mad about the Bush administration using RNC servers, and then wiping all the data without turning it over to anyone!

They aren't? Oh. Well. IOKIYAR strikes again!

Also it is the unclassified state department email system that people are complainting she didn't use that was completely hacked by the Chinese.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And now Chris Coons makes it 33-2 in favor of the Iran deal among Senate Democrats. One more and the Senate cannot override the veto, eight more and the bill won't pass.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nintendo Kid posted:

The "government" wanted her to use whatever server she so chooses, it was standard operating procedures since HW Bush's administration. She was "supposed" to have an independent server in that the rules explicitly allowed it and condoned it.

Unless you ask the state department or nara. This was a change from the Bush administration.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Of course my favorite detail about all this is that the House Committees investigating these emails are also storing them on unclassified servers.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
http://harvardlawreview.org/2015/03/adam-smiths-first-amendment/

Some more quality tears about the Lochner poo poo.

quote:

The First Amendment seems to have been transformed into a straitjacket for our institutions of democratic governance.

:lol: no poo poo really?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Who is the second opposing Democrat other than Schumer? Google didn't turn up any actual list.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I want to see if I understand this: Obama's talking about climate change in Alaska despite paving the way for Shell's drilling, but he did so because the locals' oil revenue is falling and they're looking for fresh sources of income. Is that about what happened?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Zero secretaries of state since have used state department servers. Powell was the only other to actually use email, Albright and Rice did not use email.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Who is the second opposing Democrat other than Schumer? Google didn't turn up any actual list.

Bob Menendez.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Zero secretaries of state since have used state department servers. Powell was the only other to actually use email, Albright and Rice did not use email.

Powell used hotmail as his private, personal account.

No poo poo.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Joementum posted:

Bob Menendez.

Isn't he facing a corruption trial or something

When is that all supposed to kick off

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wanderer posted:

I want to see if I understand this: Obama's talking about climate change in Alaska despite paving the way for Shell's drilling, but he did so because the locals' oil revenue is falling and they're looking for fresh sources of income. Is that about what happened?

Eh, I think this is more about the White House not being in complete control of DoI permitting.

Besides, its not like Shell has had much success in the arctic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/magazine/the-wreck-of-the-kulluk.html

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Joementum posted:

And now Chris Coons makes it 33-2 in favor of the Iran deal among Senate Democrats. One more and the Senate cannot override the veto, eight more and the bill won't pass.

Does anything significant happen if the bill does not pass?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Azuth0667 posted:

Does anything significant happen if the bill does not pass?

The Senate is likely to act first and, if it doesn't pass there it's possible that it will not be taken up by the House, saving some members from having to vote on it.

Then again, Boehner may bring it to the floor to give his conference an easy vote on disagreeing with the President.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Wanderer posted:

No "he", or rather the Interior Department, approved the drilling because Shell holds a lease and fully complied with the law in preperation for drilling operations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HootTheOwl posted:

Unless you ask the state department or nara. This was a change from the Bush administration.

Unless you ask them what? It's been policy for over 20 years that a private server is a-ok/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today in Alaska, Obama visited the Snow City Cafe whose menu features the "Obamalette" with "Barackoli", Spam, and cheese.

According to the press pool report, he did not order it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Today in Alaska, Obama visited the Snow City Cafe whose menu features the "Obamalette" with "Barackoli", Spam, and cheese.

According to the press pool report, he did not order it.

I don't understand how he could possibly resist.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just keeping up the proud presidential tradition of refusing to eat broccoli.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That sounds like a culinary assassination attempt.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

Just keeping up the proud presidential tradition of refusing to eat broccoli.

Context for those of us too young:

quote:

President [H.W.] Bush declared today that he never, ever, wants to see another sprig of broccoli on his plate, whether he is on Air Force One or at the White House or anywhere else in the land.

''I do not like broccoli,'' the President said, responding to queries about a broccoli ban he has imposed aboard Air Force One, first reported this week in U.S. News and World Report. ''And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States, and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli!''

(http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/23/us/i-m-president-so-no-more-broccoli.html)

Also you can tell it is dated because U.S. News & World Report is being referenced but not in relation to college rankings.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Didn't he puke on a Japanese ambassador because they made him eat broccoli?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
It's weird seeing goons react to criticisms about Clinton's handling of her email being 'Well, Bush('s administration) did it too!' as if that makes it ok/right.

Yeah, as Zeroisanumber said, Powell used Hotmail, and that was dumb as poo poo. So is having your email server run by a tech firm in a bathroom closet in a loft. Both scenarios are dumb as gently caress, and it's ok to admit that.

e: How can a person not like broccoli?!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

pathetic little tramp posted:

I demand he provide fresh material for Lloyd Bridges style lampooning! :argh:

Holy poo poo, some goons here probably haven't seen Airplane or either of the hot shots movies. :smith:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

pathetic little tramp posted:

That was Japanese Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa. HW over-exerted himself on the golf course earlier in the day and was jet-lagged all to hell and gone. A little rich food and wine on top of that and he was ruining a fine suit.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's weird seeing goons react to criticisms about Clinton's handling of her email being 'Well, Bush('s administration) did it too!' as if that makes it ok/right.

Yeah, as Zeroisanumber said, Powell used Hotmail, and that was dumb as poo poo. So is having your email server run by a tech firm in a bathroom closet in a loft. Both scenarios are dumb as gently caress, and it's ok to admit that.

Really the larger issue is that we've hobbled our government's ability to use technology. With inflexible hiring systems and out-source-it-all mentalities we've placed our government in a position where it sucks at IT.

Meanwhile, Americans are realizing that much of what the federal government does would be done better digitally. There are pockets of success, but we could have a much more efficient and effective government if we allowed it to strengthen its ability to act in a digital era.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

e: How can a person not like broccoli?!

Is that how her server was run? Cause physical security doesn't translate to digital security. After all, it seems to have been hacked less than the government's servers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

There was nothing done wrong.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Obama still uses his blackberry doesn't he?

That's kinda my larger point.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

Obama still uses his blackberry doesn't he?

That's kinda my larger point.

If by blackberry you mean some horrible General Dynamics secure phone that looks kinda like one, yeah.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Nintendo Kid posted:

There was nothing done wrong.

I'm not saying anything was done wrong, I'm saying a lot of it adds up to be dumb poo poo and dumb poo poo that your predecessor does doesn't excuse your actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I'm not saying anything was done wrong, I'm saying a lot of it adds up to be dumb poo poo and dumb poo poo that your predecessor does doesn't excuse your actions.

It isn't dumb poo poo, it's on the order of taking some staples home from the office. The dumb poo poo is getting caremad about irrelevant office procedure.

• Locked thread