Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

If by blackberry you mean some horrible General Dynamics secure phone that looks kinda like one, yeah.

Obama actually moved to a real BlackBerry 8900 (heavily customized), cause that phone was horrible.

Still can only call 10 people however. He can't forward emails or receive attachments on the phone either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I'm not saying anything was done wrong, I'm saying a lot of it adds up to be dumb poo poo and dumb poo poo that your predecessor does doesn't excuse your actions.

Your meta concern trolling over GOP concern trolling isn't particularly endearing or cute.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
In fact it's boring and amateur. Take some pride in your work.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trabisnikof posted:

Really the larger issue is that we've hobbled our government's ability to use technology. With inflexible hiring systems and out-source-it-all mentalities we've placed our government in a position where it sucks at IT.

Meanwhile, Americans are realizing that much of what the federal government does would be done better digitally. There are pockets of success, but we could have a much more efficient and effective government if we allowed it to strengthen its ability to act in a digital era.

The Fed government is relegated to lovely contracted IT because it can't pay a salary of more than $157k. That really hurts recruiting when you are competing against Silicon Valley companies.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Phone posted:

Your meta concern trolling over GOP concern trolling isn't particularly endearing or cute.

I don't know how to respond to this, you're giving this too much thought. Dumb poo poo happened. That's what I'm saying. That's it.

I'm not sure why that, or even the notion of a opinion that is anywhere critical of Clinton, is construed and dismissed as trolling.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Shifty Pony posted:

The Fed government is relegated to lovely contracted IT because it can't pay a salary of more than $157k. That really hurts recruiting when you are competing against Silicon Valley companies.

Could they limit what Silicon Valley pays on national security grounds?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Context for those of us too young:

Also you can tell it is dated because U.S. News & World Report is being referenced but not in relation to college rankings.

lmao this gag makes alot more sense now instead of just being a prophecy of his son's administration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUnoO25Qzk&t=85s

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

Not to mention that congress, especially this congress would throw a loving tantrum over anyone wanting to make things more efficient (government can't do anything right), or more secure (they continually denied the requested additional funds for more security for ambassador when the state department asked for it).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I don't know how to respond to this, you're giving this too much thought. Dumb poo poo happened. That's what I'm saying. That's it.

I'm not sure why that, or even the notion of a opinion that is anywhere critical of Clinton, is construed and dismissed as trolling.

Why do you personally care about Hilary's email server? What do you think are the big things to talk away from the entire ordeal?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Shifty Pony posted:

157k? What a weird number to put the ceiling at, and it's even weirder if you're putting a restriction on yourself that will undoubtedly hinder your ability to hire talent.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

Could they limit what Silicon Valley pays on national security grounds?

No?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not to mention that congress, especially this congress would throw a loving tantrum over anyone wanting to make things more efficient (government can't do anything right), or more secure (they continually denied the requested additional funds for more security for ambassador when the state department asked for it).

And it would be a giant line item expense instead of being hidden in millions of contracts spread throughout every agency.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Phone posted:

Why do you personally care about Hilary's email server? What do you think are the big things to talk away from the entire ordeal?

If you're objecting to my criticism of a politician, then you're in the wrong thread.

It's D&D's USPOL, we make fun a politicians and their dumb poo poo. Welcome aboard!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

If you're objecting to my criticism of a politician, then you're in the wrong thread.

It's D&D's USPOL, we make fun a politicians and their dumb poo poo. Welcome aboard!

Oh man, that card Obama likes MUSTARD on his sandwiches.

Am I doing it right? Am I appropriately making fun of politicians for doing completely OK things?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

157k? What a weird number to put the ceiling at, and it's even weirder if you're putting a restriction on yourself that will undoubtedly hinder your ability to hire talent.

Well besides two very well paid VA doctors, the President gets the highest pay at 400k a year,

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Shifty Pony posted:

And it would be a giant line item expense instead of being hidden in millions of contracts spread throughout every agency.

The secret to getting it approved would be change the line item title from IT Security or whatever to Honorary National Security Protector of the Digital Constitution. In Honor of 9/11.

Who would object to such a great american hero?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Phone posted:

Oh man, that card Obama likes MUSTARD on his sandwiches.

Am I doing it right? Am I appropriately making fun of politicians for doing completely OK things?

We are going to have to agree to disagree, I guess.

e: edited to remove my immature swipe.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 1, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

You think those IT contractors are getting paid $157k? Cause they're not.

Salary isn't even the be-all-end-all, but just one in a long list of problems hiring tech talent. The hiring pipelines aren't really designed to be able to hire qualified tech people, because they're refreshed at a rate to almost mandate obsolete information. The jobs themselves have requirements and preferences that make your college-dropout programming ninja unable to qualify even if they wanted to "serve their country". Then pile on the fact that even if IT drives most federal interactions, even if IT has the possibility to revolutionize government services, like hell are you ever going to get to engage in any of those ideas or programs.

We need a GSA for technology that can have the non-standard hiring practices and funding mechanisms to engage the talent we need. It is out there. If you look at the huge success of civic coding/hacking events, you'll see there are patriotic techies out there.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The secret to getting it approved would be change the line item title from IT Security or whatever to Honorary National Security Protector of the Digital Constitution. In Honor of 9/11.

Department of Defense Against The Scourge of Chinese Cyberterror

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It basically starts with "nobody in the federal government can make more than the president" and works it's way down through a series of "this lower position cannot make more than this other higher position " until you hit $157100 for the GS schedule.

Note that's total compensation including performance bonuses and overtime.

Fun side effect: the federal 401k-style retirement system has insanely low expense ratios because there are no multi-million dollar hotshot fund managers.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Congress.

They don't even want to fund the government as it stands now.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well besides two very well paid VA doctors, the President gets the highest pay at 400k a year,

Apparently there are some people over at the TVA making quite a bit more.

If you consider that to be part of the government. It kinda is.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

We need a GSA for technology that can have the non-standard hiring practices and funding mechanisms to engage the talent we need. It is out there. If you look at the huge success of civic coding/hacking events, you'll see there are patriotic techies out there.

There already is one. It's the GSA.

EDIT: Although the usual government hiring weirdness still applies, unfortunately.

(I totally agree with you, of course, and it's clear from the OPM not even encrypting any of their incredibly valuable personnel files that there's a long way to go.)

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 1, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:ssh: We need a national wage schedule where the highest compensation possible is the same as the President's.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

It basically starts with "nobody in the federal government can make more than the president" and works it's way down through a series of "this lower position cannot make more than this other higher position " until you hit $157100 for the GS schedule.

Fun side effect: the federal 401k-style retirement system has insanely low expense ratios because there are no multi-million dollar hotshot fund managers.

This of course leads to the problem that only people who are already independently wealthy can afford to serve in public office.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's also the fact that good luck hiring away from silicon valley when everybody has mandatory drug testing, which is loving over the fibbies something fierce.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It would be utterly amazing and worth my vote if a candidate (for either party) got their poo poo together (or rather, had someone else get their poo poo together and hand them the bundle) and make a core plank a thorough overhaul of all government IT.

If nothing else, the utterly complete way it was splayed out for the China hack should provide all the impetus this needs. But of course, politician = technological idiot, without fail.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

It would be utterly amazing and worth my vote if a candidate (for either party) got their poo poo together (or rather, had someone else get their poo poo together and hand them the bundle) and make a core plank a thorough overhaul of all government IT.

If nothing else, the utterly complete way it was splayed out for the China hack should provide all the impetus this needs. But of course, politician = technological idiot, without fail.

Obama tried, but he didn't get very far.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

OAquinas posted:

Speaking as someone whose entire career revolves around trying to convince the DoD not to spend money on systems that won't work for them, you have no idea exactly how loving awful the government is at IT and how much of a complete overhaul of how we do everything we would need to do to make it work.

I would also vote for said politician, but I have no faith that I'd see meaningful change in my lifetime.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

There's also the fact that good luck hiring away from silicon valley when everybody has mandatory drug testing, which is loving over the fibbies something fierce.

Can't remember which but either the CIA or FBI majorly relaxed their drug test standards because they were choking their pool of qualified applicants.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So Jeb Bush went on a 5 minute tear today in Spanish, crying about Trump

Among the comments (translated by Mac Caputo)

quote:

He attacks me every day. He personalizes everything.... If you’re not totally in agreement with him, you’re an ‘idiot,’ you’re ‘stupid,’ you have ‘low energy,’ blah, blah, blah

Yes, he did say "blah blah blah" in Spanish

The whole thing (this and the English bits) is a grown rear end man having a temper tantrum and it's amazing. Because he doesn't just flip out about Trump, he started screeching about Politico reporting he is having money troubles, and the rest of the press going after things he said instead of "policy" (that would be the stuff he said on Iraq, women's health care, and immigration)

Basically a little brat who has always had everything handed to him isn't getting deferred to and feted, and he's pissed about it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

How are u posted:

Can't remember which but either the CIA or FBI majorly relaxed their drug test standards because they were choking their pool of qualified applicants.

FBI requested to do it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

The whole thing (this and the English bits) is a grown rear end man having a temper tantrum and it's amazing. Because he doesn't just flip out about Trump, he started screeching about Politico reporting he is having money troubles, and the rest of the press going after things he said instead of "policy" (that would be the stuff he said on Iraq, women's health care, and immigration)

Basically a little brat who has always had everything handed to him isn't getting deferred to and feted, and he's pissed about it.

Why in Spanish?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder that his PAC is literally called "Right to Rise."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fried Chicken posted:

As opposed to him whining about the Asians?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4na13UwOoc

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Why in Spanish?

Trying to pull in the Latino vote like his brother did.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think it includes bonuses

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

Ha ha ha Trumps incessant blitzkrieg of public trolling is bearing fruit I see. U mad Jeb Bush, etc.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
From Wikipedia:

Ohio Congressman Mike Turner vowed to fight the change, commenting that "I’m certain [Obama] didn’t notify President McKinley’s descendants, who find this outrageous." (Both of McKinley's daughters died in early childhood, leaving no descendants.

• Locked thread