Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

Evil Sagan posted:

For those of you that GM: do you use music to enhance your game at all? If so, which albums/artists/stations do you rely on most?

Yes, and I use a lot of the same stuff others have mentioned. Movie and video game scores tend to work best for most games, but I used to break out a lot of goth stuff for Vampire back in the day; The Damned, Information Society, The Cure, etc. I'd probably add Major Parkinson and Visual Kei bands to my rotation if I were running it now.

I've gotten a lot of mileage from the Neverwinter Nights, Vagrant Story, Conan the Barbarian, and Kotor 2 soundtracks in particular. Soundcloud has some really great instrumental remixes of video game music as well. I had a cool piano rendition of the Brinstar theme and some Final Fantasy stuff played on organ for my last roll20 Ravenloft game in addition to some classical chamber music.

Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate are pretty much meant to roleplay to, but some of their stuff is a little too distracting with sound effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Someone remind me, what's the TG irc channel again?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Evil Sagan posted:

For those of you that GM: do you use music to enhance your game at all? If so, which albums/artists/stations do you rely on most?

I tend to use music quite a lot with my games though I've recently been experimenting with a Person of Interest (TV show) style approach where instead of picking background music for the scenes in general, as I do with my One Ring campaign, I'm just using a few songs in the session (which is what i'm doing with my Dracula Dossier Night's Black Agents campaign). So I'll use an opening and closing piece of music for the sessions, then 2-3 other songs over the course of the night for specific moods/themes/moments.

Historically though it tended to be things such as Immediate Music, game soundtracks etc.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Almost the entire Avengers soundtrack is quality battle music. Most of the music I use comes from video games.

Edit: I agree with no lyrics. I feel like there's some exceptions in songs where the sound of the voice is more noticable than the lyrics itself (such as symphonic metal) or where you don't speak the language so the meaning is nonsense. (Some JRPG soundtracks)

I have a music question myself. I run a Pathfinder game focused around building a Kingdom, and next session there's a good chance that the PCs will encounter someone that they'll attempt to put to trial. (to avoid disloyalty penalties from the populace) This has potential to be an incredible roleplaying opportunity, and save for the entire Phoenix Wright soundtrack, what other kind of ambient music would go well with Phoenix Wright-level back and forth arguing?

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 9, 2015

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

klosterdev posted:

Almost the entire Avengers soundtrack is quality battle music. Most of the music I use comes from video games.

I have a music question myself. I run a Pathfinder game focused around building a Kingdom, and next session there's a good chance that the PCs will encounter someone that they'll attempt to put to trial. (to avoid disloyalty penalties from the populace) This has potential to be an incredible roleplaying opportunity, and save for the entire Phoenix Wright soundtrack, what other kind of ambient music would go well with Phoenix Wright-level back and forth arguing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz4-aEGvqQM

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I'm thinking more high intensity. The player who is probably going to end up prosecuting is a skilled debate geek, and my NPC is going to use the chance at the public spotlight to throw a lot of accusations at the rulers (The PCs) so there will probably be a lot of very fast back and forth dialogue, with any lulls in pacing ramping back up quickly.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Byers2142 posted:

Someone remind me, what's the TG irc channel again?

the generic stomping grounds are #badwrongfun on synirc

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

klosterdev posted:

Edit: I agree with no lyrics. I feel like there's some exceptions in songs where the sound of the voice is more noticable than the lyrics itself (such as symphonic metal) or where you don't speak the language so the meaning is nonsense. (Some JRPG soundtracks)

I say start with Chrono Trigger and then move on to a lot of things by Shoji Meguro. This, this, and this all work, but if you want something more driving and classically adversarial, nothing wrong with a good old demon battle.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I had no idea Meguro worked on the Trauma games. Are they any good?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

I played the first Trauma game. It was excellent, and it kicked my rear end. The downside is that the frantic stylus movement in the later levels also kicked my touchscreen's rear end.

Davin Valkri posted:

I say start with Chrono Trigger and then move on to a lot of things by Shoji Meguro. This, this, and this all work, but if you want something more driving and classically adversarial, nothing wrong with a good old demon battle.

Thanks! These are great for how I think it'll pan out.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 9, 2015

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

Yeah, you'd like it - at least the first one. They're like Phoenix Wright but with unexpected surgery complications instead of prosecutors.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mimir posted:

Yeah, you'd like it - at least the first one. They're like Phoenix Wright but with unexpected surgery complications instead of prosecutors.

Well, plot-wise, maybe. Gameplay wise it's a whole different genre.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
My go-to gaming music is my Pandora station based on Goblin (Italian instrumental prog-rock band who made the scores for horror movies like Dawn of the Dead and Suspiria)

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

All your boss fights will be made better by the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack during battles. There's a nice dynamic ebb and flow to it. Most other fantasy soundtracks I found were uniformly pompous or the old standby of chorals without much melody. In theory Final Fantasy music would be great, in practice it loops after a few seconds and when a combat takes an hour...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Monster Hunter and Professor Layton soundtracks are both great rpg music.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack during battles. There's a nice dynamic ebb and flow to it. Most other fantasy soundtracks I found were uniformly pompous or the old standby of chorals without much melody. In theory Final Fantasy music would be great, in practice it loops after a few seconds and when a combat takes an hour...

Even if you use a playlist, this is only made worse with a long-running campaign. I'm in a 2 year+ D&D campaign and I think I've heard the Baldur's Gate fight music more times in it than I did in the games.

I think music is a great tool but I tend to use it less than I used to. For one, I've only used most of the Silent Hill/Dishonored tracks that fit my games. For two, I found that it was splitting my focus more than I wanted. So I started using it either only to set a scene at the start or for very dramatic points. I also don't like music with vocals much, but something like Nier's weird chants works very well to establish that poo poo just got real.

In my last game one of the villains ended up with a theme song (Drunken Whaler from Dishonored) so I found a bunch of remixes and vocal-less versions, including the whistle only version from the game. Using that was a lot of fun because it primed the players for dealing with that villain even before he appeared in a session.

I also used some of the free ambient sites, like http://tabletopaudio.com/ to get the creaking of a ship and calling of gulls. These do eventually feel kind of stale as well, but it takes longer than a short music track. http://www.ambient-mixer.com/ This one lets you turn up or off individual effects, which is super handy.

I will probably use some vaporwave (http://vaporwave.me/dreamcatalogue/?C=N;O=A for more free vaporwave than you could possibly need) in the future for its weird, Carcosa-esque qualities.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man, this guy I used to play with had the biggest thing about theme songs. When he DMed he'd bug me about what my character's theme song was for weeks after the game was already well underway. Eventually I said something just to get him to shut up and he never used it. When he played he joined our existing party and when the DM introduced him he was like "hold on!", fiddled with an MP3 player and played a tinny version of what was recognizably some FFVI character's motif while dramatically placing his mini on the table.

Good guy but am I glad we moved past his RPG style.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Character themesongs are incredibly important.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've never thought about a character themesong before but now I'm curious what mine would be...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh man, this guy I used to play with had the biggest thing about theme songs. When he DMed he'd bug me about what my character's theme song was for weeks after the game was already well underway. Eventually I said something just to get him to shut up and he never used it. When he played he joined our existing party and when the DM introduced him he was like "hold on!", fiddled with an MP3 player and played a tinny version of what was recognizably some FFVI character's motif while dramatically placing his mini on the table.

Good guy but am I glad we moved past his RPG style.

I think I'm the less dickish version of this dude. Music helps me write and so everything and everyone has some kind of music attached on my head. But I don't force it on anyone.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sionak posted:

Even if you use a playlist, this is only made worse with a long-running campaign. I'm in a 2 year+ D&D campaign and I think I've heard the Baldur's Gate fight music more times in it than I did in the games.

This is a good point. I've found it's better to avoid battle themes for the most part for tabletop. I'll throw up battle music sometimes in roll20 when it's right at hand, but I also tend not to have long battles in things I run. I imagine if you were running combat heavy game or a long battle, something like the Final Fantasy Tactics or March of The Black Queen soundtracks would work well.

Also, I just remembered I tend to use the Secret of Evermore soundtrack a lot. I like that one for general listening, too.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

ScaryJen posted:

This is a good point. I've found it's better to avoid battle themes for the most part for tabletop. I'll throw up battle music sometimes in roll20 when it's right at hand, but I also tend not to have long battles in things I run. I imagine if you were running combat heavy game or a long battle, something like the Final Fantasy Tactics or March of The Black Queen soundtracks would work well.

Also, I just remembered I tend to use the Secret of Evermore soundtrack a lot. I like that one for general listening, too.

The problem is that to keep the music from getting annoying in the long run, you have to keep adding to the playlist periodically. In my opinion it's worth the effort, because the amount immersiveness that background music provides. Ambient (non-battle) music should be more periodic though in my opinion, but it's just as, if not more powerful a tool at the right moments.

My favorite piece of ambient music, which is perfect "about to be attacked in the night" music would be Jet Force Gemini's Tawfret. Mario 64's Haunted House also works well in that kind of situation. Donkey Kong Country's Voices of the Temple and Cave Dweller Concert also get a lot of mileage in more dungeoney circumstances.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 9, 2015

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Back when I had way too much time on my hands, I'd make up a different soundtrack for each dungeon/adventure and geographical area for my long-running D&D game. I'd even match particular songs with particular scenes for extra dramatic effect. I got a lot of mileage from overclocked remixes and movie soundtracks.

These days, that's too much work for me, but I still prefer to keep a soundtrack of ~50 songs aimed toward the genre of game I'm playing. The key is to keep pruning and adding to the playlist regularly so it doesn't get stale.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Countblanc posted:

Character themesongs are incredibly important.

Isn't there some quote or truism about how more than half of the effect of famous movie scenes is the soundtrack or something like that?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
When playing World Wide Wrestling you can't not have a theme song for every character.

(In a semi-running joke fashion I use the time is now whenever I'm forced to pull something out of my rear end and have nothing relevant at hand).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lichtenstein posted:

When playing World Wide Wrestling you can't not have a theme song for every character.

(In a semi-running joke fashion I use the time is now whenever I'm forced to pull something out of my rear end and have nothing relevant at hand).

Please tell me you've used the dumb John Cena meme at least once.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
About a million times in the campaign's organizational facebook event page, but not in the game itself. I'm saving it long enough for people to forget about it again so that it's a genuine surprise when I do spring it on them.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
It looks like the thread for this has died so I'm posting this here! I'm looking to start a WFRP 3rd Edition campaign and I'm setting it in an alt-history fantasy Hellenistic period. I've statted out Orcs because Orcs rule and they're filling in as Scythians in the setting. I've got the document here if anyone with some experience with the system wants to look over it and tell me how terrible it all looks.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
That's an awesome idea.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My pathfinder game tonight had one point where the players seriously thought about having an entire army piss into the mouth of Winson Paine's character to drug test them all. It was the Whizzard come to life!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Arivia posted:

My pathfinder game tonight had one point where the players seriously thought about having an entire army piss into the mouth of Winson Paine's character to drug test them all. It was the Whizzard come to life!

Paging winson

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

Helical Nightmares posted:

That's an awesome idea.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Arivia posted:

d20_solutions.txt yall

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm gonna try running my dream campaign once more, this time in Strike!. I'm envisioning a crypto-Metal Gear high action spy-fi thing. Unfortunately most of my players are not familiar with MGS. How do I get them in the right frame of mind? We'll probably run a test session as a kind of prologue.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Arivia posted:

i am totally shocked that pathfinder players are hosed up deviants

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

:chanpop:

Uh. Someone want to clue me in here?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Captain Foo posted:

Paging winson

I CAN TASTE PISS

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Winson_Paine posted: