Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So has anyone gotten a message like this from Drivethru RPG?

quote:

'allo everyone.

OneBookShelf (parent company of RPGNow, DriveThruRPG, etc.) has released a new "Offensive Content Policy" which will allow users to flag products they consider offensive. OBS will then review titles and remove those they find objectionable. Their new policy states:

"If a reported title looks questionable, then we will suspend it from sale while we review its content internally, and we will speak with its publisher to determine the fate of the title on our marketplace. Our default will be to suspend titles rather than our prior default of letting titles stay public."

They also state "We are no longer a wide-open marketplace."

LotFP releases are often influenced by horror movie and heavy metal attitudes and aesthetics. Many of the same people who caused this new policy to be implemented have in the past complained about LotFP products.

I hope I am wrong, but I fear that LotFP is not long for this site.

Make sure you've downloaded all your LotFP purchases from OBS, and back them up. There may soon come a day when you will not have access to them and I may not have the infrastructure to replace them.

We're not allowed to link to other sites in these emails, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to find LotFP's blog, or website, or Facebook, or G+ pages, to receive further news if we disappear from this site.

I might also suggest you (politely!) email OBS and voice your support for being able to decide for yourself what products you choose to buy or not, and not having such things dictated to you.

-
James Edward Raggi IV
Lamentations of the Flame Princess
Helsinki, Finland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Was that exploring a Dwarven ruin or something to do with giants?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
If I recall correctly the only LotfP supplement that is good (and it's off the charts amazing) is Scenic Dunnsmouth.

Unfortunately their other supplements that I've seen are not written by the same author or as innovative.

I'll write it up eventually.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ratpick posted:

Scenic Dunnsmouth is really cool and it's author has released another adventure through LotFP where the gimmick is playing a dungeon crawl set some hundreds of years in the past as a group of nobodies and THEN playing the same dungeon again in the current day, with the events of the previous group's foray affecting the composition of the dungeon.

That sounds really innovative. I'll have to find it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

:catstare: Ok. I have never heard of this before and it is a singular piece of ... well lets call it "art". Thanks for posting it.

Ratpick posted:

Is there an RPG out there that is about the major political leaders in a single-party totalitarian state vying for power? Basically, something like Paranoia except with the players as the higher-ups instead of the grunts.

I could see it as a Fiasco playbook, but I might want something more meaty.

Kai Tave posted:

Well there's literally a supplement for Paranoia about playing High Programmers if that's your thing.

Agreeing with Kai here. High Programmers has rules for this RPG/card game that is supposed to model how High Programmers spread influence through the Paranoia world, embezzle funding for secret projects, and pit secret societies against each other and the Computer. The consequences of all these shenanigans actually explains quite well why the Paranoia universe is so screwed up. IIRC the rules looked fairly complex and interesting.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
That's an awesome idea.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

My pathfinder game tonight had one point where the players seriously thought about having an entire army piss into the mouth of Winson Paine's character to drug test them all. It was the Whizzard come to life!

:chanpop:

Uh. Someone want to clue me in here?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxeGVdcH57E

Someone make this politician d20. There is a market.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ningyou posted:

SNORTS A LINE OF FINELY SHREDDED ELFGAME PAGE

"ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghghghgghfuck that's the good stuff" i muse to myself before dressing up like an ethereal faerie princess and flipping over a cop car in a terrifying blur of wonder and whimsy and cocaine-fueled rage

a bloodcurdling scream escapes my lips as the few surviving onlookers stare, frozen and horrified

"that's like five xp right"

"does eoris have xp"

:psydwarf:

Oh wait. That explains this guy.

http://www.vocativ.com/underworld/crime/exclusive-interview-elf-dropped-acid-jousted-car/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Excuse me sir. That's clearly a hubcap buckler

:frogout:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

I picked up the beta for the new mongoose traveller, and it's a nice refinement of the first edition. Not sure it's worth picking up if you either hated the first one or already have all the books for it.

How does it compare to Stars Without Number?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Len posted:

What would be the best system for running a horror themed King of the Hill game? I had a vision yesterday of Hank Hill and pals squaring off against Lovecraftian horrors and I haven't been able to shake it.

Maybe World of Darkness Hunter.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Realms of Cthulhu is another good choice. There's practically a Cthulhu game for every system so take your pick.

What is Realms of Cthulhu?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hell Police. The Elevator beat.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Yes

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Good to know.

There's also a bunch of Michael Crichton on there, but it's the Lost World and other stuff that isn't Jurassic Park.

I heard the Andromeda Strain was good. Never read it myself.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Saguaro PI posted:

The first Witcher is a game that gives you a conflict between a rag-tag group of freedom fighters trying to stop their races being genocided and a xenophobic religious order and then goes "there are no good or bad options, it's all shades of grey". gently caress the first Witcher.

I haven't played Witcher 1 (played Witcher 2 almost to completion) but I am midly curious why some people don't like shades of grey stories. I've run into a similar situation where some players detest Dark Sun because "it's too morally ambiguous" when really it's about the choices you make in a survival situation. Yet these same people have no problem with zombie games that should technically be the same thing: a survival story.

Shades of grey stories (if not written by a moron like Dragon Age 2) are more grounded in realism and that makes a story more compelling. The Last of Us is a great example of a morally ambiguous story done well. :shrug:

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 22, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
That's loving heavy. Jesus.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

Please continue to be mad that I'm removing people like you for being creepy and offensive. It's funny.

quote:

PROBATION 01/30/15 02:18am Arivia Don't accuse people of being neo-Nazis because they're mad about design trends in Dungeons & Dragons! User loses posting privileges for 6 hours. Ettin

Yeah. Not wound too tightly.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Cross posting from the Kickstarter thread.

-----------------

PST posted:

The Delta Green Kickstarter has gone live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game

On top of the base game, an extra $50 gets the hardback of 'The Fall of Delta Green' being written by Ken Hite. It's not a stretch goal but I'm going to guess will come out some time after the main book.

It went live about 30 mins ago and is already over $10k which isn't bad for an 18 year old roleplay setting.

:cthulhu: Delta Green Kickstarter update. :cthulhu:

Funded to 40K in less than four hours.

New objectives to unlock!

quote:

Stretch Goals

This project is moving fast! Here are some of downloads and books you'll be able to get as Add-On Rewards (see below!) when we hit these new funding targets...

FUNDED! THE AGENT'S HANDBOOK: Everything you need to play Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game.

FUNDED! "VISCID": A new Delta Green scenario by Dennis Detwiller, wherein the agents find that even magic has a half-life. ADD-ON COST: $5.

AT $50K, "OBSERVER EFFECT": A new Delta Green scenario by Shane Ivey. Most physicists think a new lab's experiment to study the nature of reality won't reveal a thing. Your Delta Green agents might learn otherwise. ADD-ON COST: $5.

AT $120K, THE EXPANDED CORE BOOK: This big, color hardback will have everything from the Agent's Handbook plus a Game Moderator's view of the setting and ton of new material for running Delta Green campaigns, customizing the setting and the threats, and keeping your players surprised and scared. ADD-ON COST: $70.

And we have a lot more to come....

quote:

Developers and Key Personnel

DENNIS DETWILLER—WRITER, EDITOR, ILLUSTRATOR: One of the co-creators of Delta Green and co-owner of Arc Dream Publishing, Dennis also created or co-created the tabletop roleplaying games Godlike, Wild Talents, Nemesis, and Insylum. Currently design director at Harebrained Schemes (Necropolis), he was previously VP of Creative at Warner Bros. International Enterprises and produced bestselling mobile and console games for Nickelodeon, Hothead Games, and Radical Entertainment (Prototype). He's still asked to autograph cards he painted in the early years of Magic: The Gathering.

ADAM SCOTT GLANCY—WRITER: One of the co-creators of Delta Green, Scott is president of Pagan Publishing, where the first Delta Green books were produced. He oversees its line of Call of Cthulhu sourcebooks to this day: most recently Mysteries of Mesoamerica, Bumps in the Night, and the forthcoming Horrors of War.

JOHN SCOTT TYNES—ADVISOR: One of the co-creators of Delta Green, John founded Pagan Publishing and the seminal Cthulhu Mythos gaming magazine The Unspeakable Oath. He led the production of the first few Delta Green game and fiction books: Delta Green, Countdown, Alien Intelligence, The Rules of Engagement (collected in Strange Authorities), and Dark Theatres. He co-created Atlas Games' Unknown Armies, which is soon getting a long-awaited new edition of its own. For years he designed PC and console video games. These days he manages the Imagine Cup for Microsoft.

SHANE IVEY—WRITER, EDITOR: Co-owner of Arc Dream Publishing and a former newspaper copy editor and magazine editor, Shane has managed and edited the last few Delta Green game and fiction projects: Eyes Only, Targets of Opportunity, Through a Glass, Darkly, Strange Authorities, Tales from Failed Anatomies, and Extraordinary Renditions. He's editor-in-chief of The Unspeakable Oath and has spearheaded game lines including Godlike, Wild Talents, Monsters and Other Childish Things, and Better Angels.

GREG STOLZE—WRITER: A contributor to past Delta Green books (Alien Intelligence, Targets of Opportunity, Extraordinary Renditions), Greg is also co-creator of Unknown Armies with John Scott Tynes, Godlike with Dennis Detwiller, Wild Talents with Detwiller, Shane Ivey, and Kenneth Hite, Nemesis with Detwiller, Ivey, and Adam Crossingham, and author of Reign, Better Angels, the Wild Talents setting books Progenitor, eCollapse, and (with Kenneth Hite) Grim War, and the almost-but-not-quite Delta Green novel Mask of the Other.

KENNETH HITE—WRITER, EDITOR: A contributor to past Delta Green books (Targets of Opportunity, Extraordinary Renditions) and the author of the upcoming Gumshoe game The Fall of Delta Green, Ken is the creator or co-creator of Trail of Cthulhu, Night's Black Agents, The Dracula Dossier, Ken Writes About Stuff, Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff, and many other award-winning works.

Q: What does a Delta Green game sound like?

Look no further than "The Lover in the Ice" :http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2011/05/systems/call-of-cthulhu/call-of-cthulhu-delta-green-lover-in-the-ice/

Q: What is the Delta Green world like?

Here are three excellent short stories written by one of the authors and professionally narrated.

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/11/unspeakable-episode-16-intelligences-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/12/unspeakable-episode-17-philosophy-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/10/unspeakable-episode-15-drowning-in-sand-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

Q: Is there a podcast where I can listen to what's new in Delta Green moderated by the authors?

Why yes there is!

quote:

News about the upcoming Delta Green book!

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/...t-gen-con-2015/

Featuring:
-Less math in rolls!
-Fewer skills and a concomitant shift to using basic stats! For example: Want to take a picture under duress? Might take a Dex x5 roll rather than the Photography skill.
-Your skill level actually matters more than a roll! Have a 50 in Archaeology? You may get further insight into a scene automatically without rolling Spot Hidden!
-Combat is more lethal! Introducing Kill Chances! Grenades and mortars are loving deadly!
-Combat is more dangerous! You can be shaken and lose sanity!
-Gun fondling!
-Greg Stolze! Integrating the Sanity mechanics from Unknown Armies into Cthulhu!
-Bonds as sources of stability! Be like Martin Hart and take out your frustrations on your family to gain a small respite from the horrors of the Mythos! Who is the real monster now!?!

http://www.delta-green.com/

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 29, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Is he researching what I think he's researching?

....I never made that connection until now.

Speaking of Krull there is a GBS thread about it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

The Glaive looks nothing like the Yellow Sign AAAAAAa

I always wondered how the Yellow Sign drove men mad. Now I know.

• Locked thread