Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
So I'm about to start GMing a game using FATE Core as none of the Fate adaptation games seemed super interesting to me, and I was wondering how big of a deal it is to mess around with the default skills, since some of them seemed kind of redundant (empathy doesn't seem to have much reason to exist when rapport does aside from being "the mental healing skill"), and I don't really like how like two skills determine your extra stress tracks. I know reworking the skills is encouraged, but I'm also afraid of merging certain ones and accidentally creating do-everything skills; are the core skills pretty finely balanced, or is the encouragement to experiment there to indicate it's pretty laissez-faire?

Additionally, how difficult would my players' lives be if I made mental stress a sort of insanity/general composure thing rather than keeping it as a more separate emotional wellbeing thing as it seems to be in the core rules?

drrockso20 posted:

Look up Man After Man sometime, in many respects it's way more disturbing than All Tomorrows is

Man After Man always struck me as sort of low-key absurdist, which I don't get from All Tomorrows (which I didn't know existed until you linked it, thanks!). That might have more to do with MAM being a product of its time though, since All Tomorrows hits on more contemporary body horror vibes and I don't really know enough about the kind of speculative pseudoevolution MAM coexisted with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

It shouldn't be that big a deal provided you're clear on what each skill does. Atomic Robo consolidates the skill list even further from the Fate Core default for example into the following:

Athletics
Burglary
Combat
Contacts
Deceive
Empathy
Notice
Physique
Provoke
Rapport
Stealth
Vehicles
Will

It still has Empathy which you could probably fold into Rapport if you wanted without much being lost. Fate writers' insistence on sticking with the whole "X points in Y skill raises your stress tracks by Z" thing is dumb as hell, and Atomic Robo manages to make it even more convoluted and confusing in an attempt to try and make it less demanding and it's honestly just a mess. Either give everyone the same stress track if you're using a single-track setup and use stunts to mechanically represent someone's resilience in the face of certain types of adversity or if you're using a multi-track setup then give everyone the same number of "points" to assign as they see fit. In Atomic Robo it's easier to just say "you have seven stress boxes split between Physical and Mental, minimum of 2 and maximum of 5."

Awesome, thanks! Our skill list ended up looking a lot like that with a few renames for flavor, plus dividing up crafts into Old Tech/New Tech (main hook is extradimensional incursions leading to magitech) as well as making the magic separate from Lore because being well-read equating to being good at magic was always one of my least favorite D&D tropes. Also good to know the stress track thing is basically whatever works, as we were planning on having 3 for each and then a single "make it count" 4-box that could be used for either.

Is there any way to track down various games' subsystems aside from just buying the games outright? We were going to use the gem tokens from Splendor (which deserves all the praise it gets) to keep track of FATE points and thought it would be fun to tie the colors into magic somehow, or maybe give the players some way to translate them from being metafictional to having more solid in-game representations, but the only system I can think that would have anything resembling some sort of bonus plot-loot system would be Anglerre, which from what I know is decidedly too crunchy for what we're looking for.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Wasn't HeroClix something of a spiritual successor the HeroScape, just sans board and with supers instead of fantasy?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

rip tradgames

• Locked thread