Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Welcome to the (mostly) final month of the 2015 MLB regular season! Because of the late start, we'll see a few regular season games in October and possibly some November World Series games. Regardless, we should see the remaining storylines neatly wrapped up this month.

And it's been a pretty exciting month! In August, we saw (in no particular order):

1.) The Toronto Blue Jays go all-in, acquiring Troy Tulowitzki and David Price, surging out to a slim lead over a surprisingly-resilient Yankees club. The Jays pitching is still pretty bad, but they're scoring absurd numbers of runs. And Tulo hasn't even really been hitting! The damage is all from Edwin Encarnacion, Joey Bats, and Josh Donaldson. That offense will probably get better, especially if Devon Travis manages to come back before the season ends.
2.) The New York Mets trade, then not trade Wilmer Flores for Carlos Gomez. Then they went from laughingstocks to a legitimate World Series contender when they acquired Yoenis Cespedes and the rest of the lineup all went bonkers. Wilmer Flores is now something of a folk hero, and BAH GAWD IS THAT DAVID WRIGHT'S MUSIC? (Wright has looked pretty bad at 3b, but the bat still plays, and the more viable bats the Mets have on their bench, the fewer crucial at bats are taken by like...Eric Campbell and poo poo. Meanwhile, Matt Williams threw the gauntlet down at Mattingly and Matheny, staking the claim of MLB's dumbest manager. The Nationals have Drew Storen and Jon Papelbon, and inexplicably refuse to deploy either of them except in strict "setup" and "closer" situations, leading to a sweep at the hands of the Mets. And another loss at the hands of the Cardinals to close August. The Mets now have a comfortable lead in the East!
3.) Hisashi Iwakuma threw a no-hitter! Mike Fiers threw a no-hitter! Jake Arrieta threw a no-hitter!
4.) Speaking of Jake Arrieta, he was ludicrously good last month, and is a big part of the reason why the Cubs have a near lock for the a wildcard berth. That's important because the Cubs now have a monster hammer to drop on either the Cardinals or the Pirates in the one-game play-in.
5.) The Pirates and Cardinals keep winning, and it's gonna be a shame when one of those teams wins somewhere around 100 games and then has to play a 1-game play-in for the right to play whoever wins the Central.
6.) The Phillies unloaded most of their movable assets, including Cole Hamels to a resurgent Texas Rangers team. The Rangers may well take down the second wildcard spot in the AL, which probably nobody expected when they were left for dead a couple months back.
7.) Curt Schilling aired his lovely opinions on Facebook and got suspended for a telecast of Sunday Night Baseball. Sadly, ESPN fails to recognize that Schilling's idiocy isn't even the worst thing about Schilling broadcasts--the dude's an idiot and a terrible commentator, but that doesn't stop them from employing both him and Kruk next to a hapless Dan Shulman.
8.) All of the Giants are dead. RIP. The gods of Even Year Bullshit demand sacrifice.
9.) Jack Z got fired! It won't matter that much, but it was a long-time coming.
10.) It looked like Shoeless Joe Jackson was gonna get reinstated, but apparently he isn't.

Storylines for September, NL
1.) Who will win the NL Central? The two best teams (perhaps the 3 best teams) are all in the Central, and only 1 of them will make it to the NLCS. Which seems a shame.
2.) Can the Mets avoid collapse? How bad do they even need to avoid collapse given that the Nationals can't get out of their own way?
3.) Can the Dodgers hold off the Giants despite only having 2 consistent starting pitchers (to be fair, those 2 starting pitchers are REALLY GOOD).
4.) Can Giancarlo Stanton, fresh off a weeks-long DL stint, reclaim the NL homer crown?

Storylines for September, AL
1.) The Yankees are running on fumes, but can they catch the surging Blue Jays? Can anything stop the Blue Jays from slugging their way to a title?
2.) How much better are the Royals going to be when Alex Gordon comes back?
3.) Can the Rangers hold on to the wildcard? ...can the Astros hold onto the division?
4.) I don't know; I don't follow the AL that much other than occasionally turning on 5 minutes of Blue Jays games because I want to see a home run.

Happy September baseball! Enjoy your 40-man rosters, and may they be full of young dudes who have promise for better things in 2016!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I like this thread title more.

August is over so hopefully the Angels insane collapse is over too! They went 10-19 last month, with a run differential of -72, which is discounting them getting swept by Houston the last 3 days of July!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
If MorningView hadn't locked my thread, I would have.

Long live dingers.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
Coming up in the month of September in the NL Central:

The Cardinals and Pirates play 6 games. 3 @ each stadium.

The Cubs and Cardinals also play 6 games: 3 @ each stadium.

The Pirates and Cubs play 7 games: 3 @ CHI, 4 @ PIT including a doubleheader Sept 15.

That's loving awesome.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
A good thread.

Go Cubs Go (and then lose the lovely Wild Card game because of course you will)

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Shoeless Joe should be reinstated because he was banned for life. He's dead. Therefore his sentence is served :colbert:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I didn't realize the Cubs @ Pirates doubleheader got scheduled. Nice that it's after an off-day for both teams, but also kind of weird - Cubs are coming from Philly and Pirates are coming from...Pittsburgh.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Go mets.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mister Perky posted:

Shoeless Joe should be reinstated because he was banned for life. He's dead. Therefore his sentence is served :colbert:

I think that's a great way to handle it. Imagine how much it'd burn Pete Rose to know he'd be in the Hall of Fame only AFTER he dies.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I hope the Mets end this season like 2007

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: Dodgers won last night on and Adrian Gonzalez walkoff in the bottom of the 14th.

V: I am a zombie this morning, but it was worth it.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Pander posted:

I think that's a great way to handle it. Imagine how much it'd burn Pete Rose to know he'd be in the Hall of Fame only AFTER he dies.

SEPTEMBER 2 - Pete Rose found dead of cognitive dissonance.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
All aboard the Jay-Train. Choo choooooooo

My '93 team championship poster shall fly proudly once again (I was five and thought the Jays had the coolest logo/uniforms so they were my team, shut up)

They really are the snazziest though.

NerfHerderEX
Aug 13, 2015

GG!

Mister Perky posted:

That's why they're going to change it to an afterlife ban.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

N: Dodgers won last night on and Adrian Gonzalez walkoff in the bottom of the 14th.

V: I am a zombie this morning, but it was worth it.

Did Kershaw really pinch hit or was that a fever dream

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
Box score says Kershaw pinch hit in the 11th.

Leads me to a question:

I didn't watch the game, but why are you PHing Kershaw instead of Grienke? The pitcher was RH, but are you really playing matchups when you choose a SP for a pinch hitter? Grienke hitting regardless of pitcher handedness has to be better than Kershaw right?

It doesn't really matter, but was there a reason?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Capt. Sticl posted:

Coming up in the month of September in the NL Central:

The Cardinals and Pirates play 6 games. 3 @ each stadium.

The Cubs and Cardinals also play 6 games: 3 @ each stadium.

The Pirates and Cubs play 7 games: 3 @ CHI, 4 @ PIT including a doubleheader Sept 15.

That's loving awesome.

If the Pirates can go 4-2 versus the Cards then they have a solid shot at the division, otherwise a Wild Card play-in game would be looming. If that becomes apparent then I'll root hard for the Cubs and Giants to finish tied and force them to use Arrieta/MadBum versus each other before playing Pittsburgh. :ohdear:

Actually I'll root for that scenario regardless of how Pittsburgh does because that'd be a great game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Capt. Sticl posted:

Box score says Kershaw pinch hit in the 11th.

Leads me to a question:

I didn't watch the game, but why are you PHing Kershaw instead of Grienke? The pitcher was RH, but are you really playing matchups when you choose a SP for a pinch hitter? Grienke hitting regardless of pitcher handedness has to be better than Kershaw right?

It doesn't really matter, but was there a reason?

because Greinke is pitching tonight

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Poque posted:

because Greinke is pitching tonight

Ok. I guess.

I get that pitcher's have their routines for their off days, and I'm certainly not a pro athlete, but I can't imagine a single AB would have thrown all that off. And it's not like injury is the concern because Kershaw pitches the day after and obviously you don't want either injured at all. And I refuse to believe that Grienke wouldn't have been up for it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Part of me wants to root for the Cubs because they seem like a cool team, the other part of me wants to root for schadenfreude and continue the misery of that franchise.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Capt. Sticl posted:

I get that pitcher's have their routines for their off days, and I'm certainly not a pro athlete, but I can't imagine a single AB would have thrown all that off. And it's not like injury is the concern because Kershaw pitches the day after and obviously you don't want either injured at all. And I refuse to believe that Grienke wouldn't have been up for it.

He probably went home to sleep.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Blue Jays had an insane August, jesus christ.

I love the thread title. More Jay dingers please!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector666, in the last thread, posted:

Their bullpen still seems to be mediocre at best though. Dave, correct me.

We've got a shutdown closer (Familia), a very good 8th-inning man (Clippard), and a dependable long man (Sean Gilmartin). We've also got a lefty who's been absolute garbage so far (O'Flaherty) though he'll probably be better when he doesn't have to face righties, and a reliever who throws hard but doesn't really know where (Robles). Plus Carlos Torres, who's average-ish and basically unremarkable.

Apart from O'Flaherty's struggles the main recent problem has been Bobby Parnell, he came back from TJ having lost 5-6MPH on his fastball, looked OK for a while, started struggling and then gave up the lead in extras in two straight games against the PIrates, then got put on the DL (though whether due to an actual injury or general shittiness no-one really knows). Trading for Addison Reed and calling up Erik Goeddel will also add some more depth. I wouldn't call it the best bullpen in the majors by any stretch, but it should be capable of holding most of the leads the starters get.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I had similar thoughts about it last night. Thought maybe he was playing matchups between the two of them (lol), then realized it was probably just because Zack is pitching tonight.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Ice To Meet You posted:

He probably went home to sleep.

This makes complete sense, but somehow never occurred to me that starting pitchers would cut out early.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Part of me wants to root for the Cubs because they seem like a cool team, the other part of me wants to root for schadenfreude and continue the misery of that franchise.

Even if the Cubs finally break through, we've still got the Cleveland Indians.

1948 and counting. Plus its easy to think they deserve it because of their logo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Traxis posted:

I hope the Mets end this season like 2007

2000 would work for me.

Capt. Sticl posted:

This makes complete sense, but somehow never occurred to me that starting pitchers would cut out early.

Managers send them home to rest, or at least that's what everybody said during that marathon Yankees/Sox game earlier this year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Please let the Astros hold on to the division...

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

2000 would work for me.

Correct answer is 2006.

An alternate universe 2006 where the Cardinals all gently caress off to outer space the second the ump finishes punching out Beltran.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Inspector_666 posted:

2000 would work for me.

Managers send them home to rest, or at least that's what everybody said during that marathon Yankees/Sox game earlier this year.

I started watching that game at 6pm CST and stopped when it ended at 2am. It was wonderful.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Hey new thread let's not forget:

gently caress the Cardinals

gently caress the Angels

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kirios posted:

Please let the Astros hold on to the division...

No

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
You forgot one of the best storylines in baseball.

Can a team win a wildcard spot even though they finished 15+ games behind the division winner?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

You forgot one of the best storylines in baseball.

Can a team win a wildcard spot even though they finished 15+ games behind the division winner?

2001 A's did it finishing 14 behind the M's. With 102 wins.

Excuse me while I go cry about the ALCS.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tony Phillips posted:

It was the ALDS but the tears remain

slide jeremy slide what are you doing nooooooo

e: and then just for funsies they did basically the same thing two years later against the red sox, right down to the inexplicable baserunning miscues in a potential closeout game.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 1, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tony Phillips posted:

Let me cheer you up with a gif of one of my favorite Lou Piniella managed Mariners:

Rest in peace John Marzano :unsmith:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Better luck next commissioner, Joe.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Abner Assington posted:

Better luck next commissioner, Joe.

I feel like Joe probably does not mind one way or another at this point

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ahahaha Pete Rose must be so mad right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tony Phillips posted:

I still cry about the 2001 postseason. The Mariners' collapse was spectacularly bad.

• Locked thread