Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Planning on going to the Monday game as a Dodger fan living in Orange County. Let me know if you're looking to unload those!

Realizing that the Dodger game is just two tickets. Should be section 211 row G if you want to look up what that area looks like. I'll probably just go to the Saturday night game myself.

Intruder posted:

I hate having to be in a position to cheer for the Angels but go Angels this weekend

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

bawfuls posted:

50% strand rate in the postseason would be the perfect way for the Cardinals staff to collapse.

I'm alright for the blue jays winning the world series this year

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

No Safe Word posted:

Hey new thread let's not forget:

gently caress the Cardinals

This guy gets it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Capt. Sticl posted:

They only need 348 runs in the remaining 31 games to break the Yankees 1931 record for runs scored by an AL team. ( the 1894 Boston bean eaters set the mlb mark at 1220!)

Looked this up out of curiosity and the Yankees averaged almost 7 runs a game, weren't awful at pitching compared to the rest of the league and still lost the AL by 13.5 games.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm alright for the blue jays winning the world series this year

If When the Cubs aren't in it, I would greatly enjoy Pirates vs Blue Jays.

or something hilarious like Mets/Twins

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Rand alPaul posted:

The best part about this season: It's September 1 and Oakland, Detroit, and Boston are in last place in their divisions. Three teams a lot of people picked to be either in first place or in the wild card hunt.

Who on earth looked at the Red Sox rotation prior to the season and said "yeah, that's a likely playoff team?"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Cardinals/Blue Jays, the Jays outscore the Cards by 30 runs in the series and lose in 7 games

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Is it time to revisit this thread yet:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706731

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
After the Tulo and Price trades, I gearing up for the divisional battle to start in mid-September. I didn't realize that it would only take the Jays two weeks to make up the ground against the Yanks.

Also, someone I know kept a 90-win tracker for the Jays during their 11-game winning streak. I laughed at him for doing this. I sure look like the fool now.

Basically, I didn't expect the Jays to go 24-7 after the Tulo deal was made.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Capt. Sticl posted:

They only need 348 runs in the remaining 31 games to break the Yankees 1931 record for runs scored by an AL team. ( the 1894 Boston bean eaters set the mlb mark at 1220!)

This got me glancing at some more recent top teams, and drat that '01 Mariners team was +300 in runs and had a 109-53 Pythag. Most runs scored (4 more than the Rockies), least runs allowed (16 less than the Braves). Meanwhile Oakland, 14 games behind overall, has a 104-58 Pythag and is 5th in RS and 3rd in RA with a +239 difference.

Bring back the juiced ball.

Poque posted:

If When the Cubs aren't in it, I would greatly enjoy Pirates vs Blue Jays.

or something hilarious like Mets/Twins

I'll swap Pirates and Cubs due to fandom and join you in your cool people rooting zone.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Intruder posted:

Cardinals/Blue Jays, the Jays outscore the Cards by 30 runs in the series and lose in 7 games

This doesn't seem that unlikely if you interpret it as "Cards beat the Jays despite scoring fewer runs."

John Lackey would give up like a billion and a half runs in Toronto. My evidence: that one game I went to vs. the Orioles last year where he got murderized by the homer-happy Camden crew.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Man, has Tulo already been a Jay for a month? It feels like just yesterday because he's barely done anything.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FairGame posted:

Who on earth looked at the Red Sox rotation prior to the season and said "yeah, that's a likely playoff team?"

A shockingly high number of people, mostly because they expected the offense to be unreal I think, but you also had people talking up dudes like Kelly and Porcello as good bets to improve dramatically.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

jason heywards ops in card wins is .755
jason heywards ops in card loses is .884

thats pretty weird

he is opsing .735 versus lefties this year so thats a pleasant surprise.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MourningView posted:

A shockingly high number of people, mostly because they expected the offense to be unreal I think, but you also had people talking up dudes like Kelly and Porcello as good bets to improve dramatically.

People pretty much saw the Sox as doing what the Jays have done.

And I don't think anybody saw Ramirez as being so actively harmful in LF.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

People pretty much saw the Sox as doing what the Jays have done.

And I don't think anybody saw Ramirez as being so actively harmful in LF.

Pretty decent Grantland article about this

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-hanley-ramirez-left-field-defense-boston-red-sox/

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah everyone knew Hanley in the Fenway left field would be bad but not so bad that it worked out to arguably a net negative. Of course they also expected him to hit better than he has.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Man, has Tulo already been a Jay for a month? It feels like just yesterday because he's barely done anything.

Still better than Reyes.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

:gizz:

MourningView posted:

If you had a preseason drinking game that featured as a drink condition the phrase "Well, if Pitcher X turns into a #Y starter" even though there was little to no reason Pitcher X would do that besides his new Red Sox uniform, you would be dead

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Capt. Sticl posted:

That's over 11 runs per game over the remaining 31...

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scob posted:

thats pretty weird

Only 150 PA's for losses. But yea, he's been absolutely fantastic since May 1. 310/370/467

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Only two posts that didn't have the Astros in the bottom two and zero that didn't have the Rangers in the bottom two

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

AL West and all but the Rangers/Astros 4/5 combo is in all but 2 of those predictions :v:

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

kalensc posted:

Bring back the juiced ball.

That's what got me looking into it. I thought, surely, one of the steroid Era teams had the most runs scored. But the only temporary during that time to score 1,000 runs was the 1999 Indians. Most of the 1,000 runs teams are in the 1890-1930ish.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MourningView posted:

Yeah everyone knew Hanley in the Fenway left field would be bad but not so bad that it worked out to arguably a net negative. Of course they also expected him to hit better than he has.

MLB Network sure did.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7417714/v37163275/top-10-left-fielders-right-now-in-the-major-leagues

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hector Olivera is making his MLB debut tonight for the Braves

NerfHerderEX
Aug 13, 2015

GG!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hector Olivera is making his MLB debut tonight for the Braves

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. :pray:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Chexoid posted:

What happens if a < 3 WAR/approx .700 OPS is just what Tulo is now?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I love that nearly everyone picked the Padres to be a playoff team 😂

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Intruder posted:

Only two posts that didn't have the Astros in the bottom two and zero that didn't have the Rangers in the bottom two

I'm trying not to feel too smug about everyone buying into the ridiculous Mariners hype but I don't think I'm being very successful

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I realize that there's a good bit of extra credit going his way because of the winning streak and the sudden competence of the pitching, but I do think that Tulo has made a pretty big difference defensively.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

will_colorado posted:

WHAT INDEED, SIR.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MourningView posted:

Porcello didn't even need to improve dramatically, just pitch as well as he had last year. Kelly was pure optimism (although he has been better lately), as was expecting a full season of healthy Buchholz.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scob posted:

thats pretty weird

That doesn't seem that weird. I'm sure pretty much every important player hits better in wins than they do in losses, because they are the reason the team wins.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Which is the exact opposite of what is going on in that split

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

:frogc00l:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ungratek posted:

Which is the exact opposite of what is going on in that split

Yes but have you considered that I'm a stupid person that lacks basic reading comprehension?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

FairGame posted:

That doesn't seem that weird. I'm sure pretty much every important player hits better in wins than they do in losses, because they are the reason the team wins.

It's inverted in this case.

FairGame posted:

Yes but have you considered that I'm a stupid person that lacks basic reading comprehension?

The Matheny Effect.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thank gently caress Baez is starting at 2B and not Starlin "4 errors in the past 2 games" Castro.

Also I'm gonna be in attendance for this one. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

will_colorado posted:

he's still a signficant improvement defensively over reyes while producing similarly as a hitter; however, his BA is probably going to improve over a longer sample and hopefully he can bring his slugging over .400.

• Locked thread