Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
For the past 7/8 days my home internet has been loving appalling. Steam is averaging 50-60kb/s, browsing websites is slow as hell, and forget about watching anything on these streaming services I'm paying for.

Normally (as in, for the past 4 years) I get a princely 500-800kb/s here in the hills of Wales. The odd thing is that every speedtest I'm running tells me that's exactly what I'm still getting. Run 4 separate ones now including two of BT's (my overpriced ISP), they all say the same. But I'm sure as gently caress not getting it from anything else internet-related.

(When I run the speedtests while a steam download is running it tells me I'm getting 300kb/s. Big drop for a tiny distraction.)

Download speeds are the same on two computers and the less said about my phone over the wifi the better. Swapped over ethernet cables, makes no difference. Same with the microfilter. Gonna find a spare phone cable too, but surely those problems would show up on the speed test.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have your own router, are are you using an ISP-provided combo modem/router box? Does the same problem happen when connected via an Ethernet cable as well as WiFi? Have you verified that your Steam download region is set correctly in Steam options?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alereon posted:

Do you have your own router, are are you using an ISP-provided combo modem/router box? Does the same problem happen when connected via an Ethernet cable as well as WiFi? Have you verified that your Steam download region is set correctly in Steam options?

Multiple regions, multiple computers, multiple ethernet cables (I only use wifi on my phone), all from the BT Home Hub they sent me.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Sounds like an ISP-side routing issue they'd have to fix. To confirm, all websites are slow, its not just when you're trying to download from overseas?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hate dealing with BT. Thanks.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Ask if you can get Infinity, too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Ask if you can get Infinity, too.

It's "Coming Soon" to my exchange. Seen a few vans around, so that may not be a lie. Might jump ship to Sky in the meantime, though. I'm paying over the odds for my broadband now because I get BT Sport for super cheap, and at the moment I haven't got the speed to watch it!

Spoke to Mosdeep at BT and he fiddled with some settings that have got me an extra 20kb/s on what I've been seeing, but they're sending out an engineer because there's a "fault on the line" (which he only admitted because I refused to be satisfied with the improvement). We'll see.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

sassassin posted:

It's "Coming Soon" to my exchange. Seen a few vans around, so that may not be a lie. Might jump ship to Sky in the meantime, though. I'm paying over the odds for my broadband now because I get BT Sport for super cheap, and at the moment I haven't got the speed to watch it!

Spoke to Mosdeep at BT and he fiddled with some settings that have got me an extra 20kb/s on what I've been seeing, but they're sending out an engineer because there's a "fault on the line" (which he only admitted because I refused to be satisfied with the improvement). We'll see.

And no Virgin Media either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Nah, I don't like Star Wars.

• Locked thread