Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

6: Remember this September to Set your Clocks to Midnight

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month. there might be a little general leeway at the end of the month, but don't count on it and don't ask for extensions.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

how many terrible words have been written through this thread and the ones before it? 724,500. Some of them might have been good? idk

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel yes, if you've signed up: synirc, #longwalk, but most of us hang out in #thunderdome

where are the previous months April, May June July, August

who tells the mods if i gently caress up and don't make it anyone can call in a failed toxx; if no one else does it I do

who checks i've done it i could just not and say i did lol you need to satisfy me, which isn't a high bar tbh, but I'll probably need to see something, up to you what that is

how long are you gonna do it for at least a year, but if it's working for people there's no reason it couldn't go on longer

how can someone be so precisely disabled as to be able to pronounce the last 'k' in 'cock' but not the first? you know, that's a really good question

Long Walk 6: Remember this September to Set your Clocks to Midnight

Sittinear: 5k, 5 subs MMMMMMMMADE IT
Broenheim: 5k words, 5 subs YEAH MADE IT BROENHEIM KNOWS WHAT TIME IT IS I.E. NOT GETTING BANNED TIME
Kuronabright: 10k, half by 20 sept CRAZY DOS DUDE MADE IT CRAZY DOS STYLE WOO
spectres of autism: 4k SPECTRES OF MAKING IT MORE LIKE DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE DON'T CAAAAAARRRE
meinberg: 4k GO MEINBERG YOU BEAUTIFUL NERDY POETIC-rear end MAKING IT MOTHERFUCKER
DrOck: 4k WHOOOOAA DOC YOU ARE A PHD IN MAKING IT THOUGH PERHAPS NOT BY VERRRRRY MUCH

Jonked: 20k :siren: FAILCLASM! SOUND THE TOXXIN' HORN :siren:

Guinness13: 5k SUCK UP A DELICIOUS 13 PINTS OF BLACK BEER AND CLAP SPASTICALLY AS YOU EXPIRE OF ALCOHOL POISONING BECAUSE YOU MADE IT
IronicTwist: 6k, 4k by 20.9, 15 subs YEAH GONNA FEEL SO GOOD, TWISTIN BY THE MADE-IT POOL ACTUALLY I HATED THAT SONG BUT I DON'T HATE YOU B/C YOU MADE IT

thehomemaster: 4k :siren: FAILCLASM! SOUND THE TOXXIN' HORN :siren:

PAINTED BIRD GODDAMMIT DON'T YOU FAIL THIS TIME: 5k HOLY poo poo THAT WAS CLOSE MS BIRD STILL I'M GLAD I DON'T HAVE TO BAN U BECAUSE YOU MADE IT HURRAH SUCK A gently caress BRONCHITIS, SUCK A BIG OLD DIRTY OLD DUMB OLD gently caress
ravenkult: 10k WOOO TEACHER SAYS ALL GOOD SPRING BREAK MADE IT GUY PARTY HARD LIKE THAT GUY WITH TEH PIANO, AND THE BLOOD
docbeard: 7,500 ALSO A DOCTOR, ALSO MADE IT ARE YOU IN CAHOOOOOOOOTS
anime was right: 6k HURRAH HURRAH ANIME IS MADE IT
capntastic: 5k by the 28th MADE IT-TASTIC
baby babbeh: 4k BABY STEPS ON THE MADE IT STAIR
td og stoporstar: 20k STUPORSTADE IT THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SEEEENSE
thranguy: 4k MADE IT GUY IS A LITTLE BETTER BUT NOT GONNA LIE I'M RUNNING OUT OF PUFF HERE
mag7: 4k MADE IT 7 WITH AN AMAZING OUTLINE NO WAIT HE ACTUALLY WROTE A STORY YAYY
morning bell: 4k MADE IT BELL TOO EASY ON A ROLL AGAIN
mercalicious: 6k YEAH BOYEEEE MADE IT LIKE SOME KIND OF BABY-HAVING BOSS
Trex: 8k CONSIDER THE TREX, HUGE JAWS TINY ARMS AND A GIGANTIC TAIL COMPOSED ENTIRELY OF MADE IT
Leekster: 4k MADEITSTER I'M NOT REALLY EVEN TRYING NOW BUT HURRAH ANYWAY
redtonic: 4k MONSTER LAST MINUTE GIVE NO FUCKS SIGN UP NBD REDTONIC WILL BE OVER HERE SMOKING A POST MAKING IT CIG

RECORD OF THE FALLEN

CHTHONIC BELL/A PAINTED BIRD... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X3)
KILLFAST37... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
MORNING BELL... DIDN'T MAKE IT
DR KLOCTOPUSSY... DIDN'T MAKE IT
BOMPACHO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
CRABROCK... DIDN'T MAKE IT
REDTONIC... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MARTELLO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
THEHOMEMASTER... DIDN'T MAKE IT
JONKED... DIDN'T MAKE IT

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I'm keeping it simple:

10k this month.

5k by the 20th, but with a progress report on the 15th.

:toxx:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
5k words, 5 submissions :toxx:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:toxx: 5K words 5 submissions

Takin it easy this month

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
im gonna go in for the bare minimum of 4k words and also i wanna submit to something (no length requirement for that) :toxx: gently caress off get free writing is blood

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Writing is life. Put me down for 4k, so I can get a better feel for how much I can output.

I'm doing some tabletop RPG design stuff, would that qualify as well or should I stick to other forms of words?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
4k :toxx:

b/c not doing this at all is depressing.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
20k, at 4k of which'll be in my novel. :toxx:

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
:toxx: Only 5k, but at least one Thunderdome entry. Current short story project is at 5,763 words.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
6K words, 4K due on the 20th.

Also, 15 submissions.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
4k on my new novella

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm :toxx:ing myself to 5k words this time. Clearly 10k is too much.

painted bird fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 2, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Put me down for 10k. :getin:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Time to jump back on this terrible horse.

:toxx: for 7,500 words.

Also I will finish my critiques for Hot Week this month if it kills me.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
6k :toxx:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Extra stipulation for my toxx: all words must go towards my ~Web Serial Project~ and I can't ditch it like last time.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

As penance for needing a bit of time to get access to a computer last month, I will repay my debt:

5k, due on the 28th. :toxx:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Alright. My novel notes are getting to the point where I can start writing, so this will maybe help me get my rear end in gear. 4K by the end of the month, likely the first few chapters of this novel and maybe the short story I'm working on as well. :toxx:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I've only done 20k on my second novel all year, so it's time to get serious. :toxx: 20k on the novel by the end of the month, because even if it's all poo poo that needs to be rewritten from scratch later, at least I'll have something to loving work with.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Didn't get any novel pre-work at all done during the month off, which may have been the problem. So I'll :toxx: for a minimal 4K on non-TD work to get myself to either get this thing started or write something short and submittable this month.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay fine gently caress you. 4,000.

Last night I had the greatest idea in the world for my next book, so does it count if my words are disjointed concepts/plot points, or does it have to be actual storying?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

magnificent7 posted:

Okay fine gently caress you. 4,000.

Last night I had the greatest idea in the world for my next book, so does it count if my words are disjointed concepts/plot points, or does it have to be actual storying?

I was gonna be all 'yeah whatever', but actually I'm not going to. Story, mag7, don't thumb twiddle.

I mean I know plotting is important, but write something that people might read rather than structural diagrams.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I think the baseline ought'a be "are these words that if I put them in front of someone they could read and comprehend as a story", rather than "is this explaining to someone what a story I'd like to right might be like".

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sebmojo posted:

I was gonna be all 'yeah whatever', but actually I'm not going to. Story, mag7, don't thumb twiddle.

I mean I know plotting is important, but write something that people might read rather than structural diagrams.

you KNOW I don't be working well with CONSTRAINTS.

Fine. September shall be the month of my ghost story.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Toxxing 4k. That'll include a maximum of one Thunderdome. The rest is for a new short story.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

If I have an eye towards submitting to places, should I write towards a specific publication or should I just write and figure out where I can send it later on?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Meinberg posted:

If I have an eye towards submitting to places, should I write towards a specific publication or should I just write and figure out where I can send it later on?

Just toxx yourself a submission and then make it work

Edit: Pretty sure, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Long Walk is about forcing yourself to be accountable to your writing goals, and not that concerned with rules and regs

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Capntastic posted:

Just toxx yourself a submission and then make it work

Edit: Pretty sure, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Long Walk is about forcing yourself to be accountable to your writing goals, and not that concerned with rules and regs

I think he's just asking for advice if you want to submit and be accepted rather then submit just to fulfill a toxx

Personally, I just write whatever I feel like and see if it fits somewhere. If you have some kind of specific place you want to submit to then follow those guidelines, but unless your story is some kind of genre-defying abomination, it can find a home somewhere.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Broenheim posted:

I think he's just asking for advice if you want to submit and be accepted rather then submit just to fulfill a toxx

Ah, I guess it can be read both ways.

Most publications that I've seen have a fairly flexible scope, but it never hurts to have a short list of where you'd like to end up in your back pocket and maybe stick to those tones.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Meinberg posted:

Writing to a specific market is good practice, IMO, just don't be too specific so you can submit it to more than one place.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I would say, give the Submission Grinder a skim, notice which genres the most active markets are in, and aim for one of those. I don't know if it's good or bad to write to a specific market, but having a really concrete idea of what your genre is will help you pick out which mags to send stuff out to. Lots and lots of places accept scifi/fantasy in any form, and other markets are very open to "whatever" as long as it's new and different in their opinions.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Thank you kindly for the advice, I will take a look through Grinder tonight!

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

I've been lazy as gently caress lately. Put me down for 6k words. That's about two published nasty sex stories.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mercedes posted:

I've been lazy as gently caress lately. Put me down for 6k words. That's about two published nasty sex stories.

awesome, everyone added. up to 140k words. Fail not, or the lowtax will feast.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
I'm in at 4k. :toxx:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
8k.

:toxx:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

:black101::hf::black101:

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Always trying to one up me, you fucker

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Just checking in to say I made 10k, half my goal at half the month, and boy is this not easy some days. I keep feeling like I'm running the well dry, but after a bad writing day I often get a good one. I guess putting some effort into the bad day gives my subconscious something to work on overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'm kinda behind. My short story is about half done at around 1500 words, but my novel is stalled. I need to really buckle down and write this week.

• Locked thread