Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welcome to the game thread! The OOC thread is this way.

In popular parlance, to be "low on the Tree" means you're in a precarious spot. Maybe your skimmer wrecked in the middle of the Lower Cloudsea and you can't afford repairs. Maybe you caught a bad case of the green lung. Or maybe you're just down on your luck and in a whole lot of debt. Truth be told, people who actually dare to head to the World Tree's lower branches aren't often "low on the Tree" themselves. There's treasure to be had down there, adventure, or simply a nice big haul of low-bark. Either that, or you're dead, and at that point how high or low you are on the Tree doesn't matter so much, now does it?

Anyway, long story short, the crew of the Black Heaven aren't so high on the Tree these days, in any sense of the phrase.

Here's the situation: this kraa named Kren puts out this rumor, or a bulletin, or a bill, whatever you want to call it. The featherbrain's a bark miner, he says, not an uncommon profession for an outcast like him, especially when you're looking to mine low-bark, which has some rich deposits that are a lot easier to reach when you can fly under your own power. Kren claims he's seen one hell of a thing among the lower branches: he says he found a city. A city, down there, on the lowest of the low islands, that nobody's ever heard of. Spires of stone and glass, he says, all nestled on this dark little island in a knot of low branches.

And, get this: it was glowing. Well, part of it was, anyway. Kren didn't dare get too close--"What can I say? Rather keep all my limbs, if I got a choice." But he did see some sparkling things on the ground around the edge of the island, and while he didn't land--"I saw this thing, man, skulking around the edge of the tree-line just a bit off the island's edge, it had yellow fuckin' eyes, man, big as like three bavenn standin' on each other's shoulders"--he did scoop up a rock that is literally studded with shine. No, really. He showed it to you, after you tracked him down. And Kren insists there's more where that came from, littered all over the ground. "Maybe," he says, "people there don't have any use for it."

But, shine in a rock? And that far from Sola's light? What in the dragonhells is that about?

But--shine. That much shine. That much shine. How could an enterprising crew (who need to pay to keep their ship in the sky) resist?

Anyway, here you are. Low on the branches. Low on sunstones. You drifted down past the last safe port ages ago, and you're still probably a day's sail away from the knot of branches Kren directed you to. So, tell me:

Everyone - Where are you on the Heaven right now? What are you doing? How has the last day of sailing been for you?

Captain Gett - What scrape did the crew narrowly make it through on the journey so far?

Jerret - Why should the crew of the Heaven be thankful that you were on board for this trip?

Luka - What's a memory from your journey so far that you can't wait to burn up for Sola?

Cy - What do you hope to find on Kren's supposed island? I doubt you're motivated by the same forces as the rest of these mercenaries and explorers--what are you doing here?

Usopp - I'm sure you've explored mysterious glowing ruins before, or at least encountered mysterious glowing artifacts. What could make a whole city glow like that?

As for rolling, use whichever online dice roller you want, and link to your rolls as usual. I'll roll any damage you make take, just to keep things moving along. Make sure to have your current HP, armor, XP, and any debilities in each post--but, eh, let's be real, you guys know the drill.

I'm going to try to post about four or five times a week. You can always expect to have roughly a day in between my posts (on average)--if I post more often than that, I'll make sure to do so after everyone's already posted so nobody gets cut off.

Let's do this!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, /8 XP

I've become kind of addicted to smoking. Not the lame folk kind, with the roasted weedleaf, the Solaspon way. So you stick your head in the cannon and light the fuse. The way it stretches out my fake soot "head" is great. Basically gives me what looks like long, luxurious locks with impossible body and volume. Speaking of volume, I really have to make sure to keep the gunpowder amount just right so I can pull it off without waking anyone up. Been pushing the limit, too. Maybe one day I'll be able to basically make myself a cannon silencer! Gotta write that down.

Yeah I didn't pay for the powder but gently caress it, I've barely used any. Soon I'll send the memory to Sola and forget about the whole thing anyway. Probably never do it again after that. That's where I am, in the gun deck, writing about eating explosions. I would joke about a splitting headache after a long night, but I don't feel a thing. Mundane flames don't matter to me, no matter their velocity.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Captain Godolphin Gett
Str 8 (-1) | Dex 13 (+1) | Con 12 | Wis 16 (+2) | Int 9 | Cha 15 (+1)

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | Map 1 | Trade 1

Sat on a chair at the bow of the Black Heaven, boots kicked up on the gunwhales, leathers creaking and his fine cloak wrapped around him to stave off the chill that creased the air this far downtree, Captain Godolphin Gett drank from the fiasco of wine he held in his right hand while he cradled the clay bowl of his pipe with his left.

It was a night for thinking. Amid the soft explosion from belowdecks of the Solaspon creature apparently experimenting with creative suicide, Gett clamped the stem of his pipe between his teeth and idly rubbed his trademark pearl earring.

This adventure was about par for his particular course- lost cities, weird monsters and plenty of shine were exactly the kind of thing he liked to pursue, and exactly the reason he had sought out a ship as fine as the Black Heaven in the first place. However, that wasn’t the reason he and his shipmates (and Mr. Roarke) were this far downtree.

It appeared that someone was hunting them. Had been, at least. It started when they had come across that birdbrain’s rumourspitting in Grenn. It was interesting enough, but not exactly a priority.

Then the men had come to where the Black Heaven was docked. They were looking for the Chief Engineer, apparently, and wouldn’t take no for an answer.

So, the men of the Black Heaven killed them. Dockside scuffles do happen, and when there’s the yawning sky beneath to take the bodies, they get reported even more rarely. Gett had assumed that to be the end of it.

But then the pirate ship had swooped out of some foliage in their journey to Grey Fen, not bothering with the usual parley, and had proceeded to attempt to shoot them out of the sky. The Black Heaven had outfought them, though it had been very close thanks to the vagaries of the air currents in such tight spaces as the great creeping vines on the way to Grey Fen, and the last that they had seen of the Unremitting Vengeance was a smoking wreck spiralling downtree, out of control. Perhaps they had made a crash landing. Gett hoped not.

It was connected to the boy, he knew that in his veins. Whoever sent the toughs to the ship, and whoever had instructed the Vengeance to shoot them down, was doing so because of the boy. He wouldn’t tip his hand, not just yet. Professor Usopp was hardly the first to take to the open skies to escape something in their past, and Gett was loathe to pry into his affairs just yet, before he had proof of anything.

But soon, he would have to. Perhaps after this venture, which had more or less taken them off the maps of those who would do them harm, dropping so close to the terrible surface.

Another muffled thud, and Gett sighed and gestured to the ship’s boy, who came over. “Please ask Master Solaspon to stop wasting my powder,” Gett told him. “No doubt we’ll have something for him to shoot soon.”

As the boy raced off to deliver his message, Gett took another drink of wine and touched his earring again. Pearl, it was.

What they called a Moon’s Tear.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 2, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke - Genius Inventor, Drunken Thrillseeker

SUIT MODELS
MARK I (OBSOLETE)
MARK II (OBSOLETE)
MARK III (CURRENT: See Below)

A look at my workshop on board the Black Heaven

quote:

Look:
curious eyes, rumpled but fashionable clothes, lanky body
Level: 1
XP: 0/7
Drive: Invention and Ingenuity
Use a device or machine in a way it was not meant to be used.
Specialization: Engineering and Mechanics
Your suit is loaded with redundant systems, and it can take a beating. Add this mark to the Hold Together move:
☐ Dinged: You take no penalty for marking this.

Race: Human-folk

DMG: d8
Armor: 0 (2 in the suit)
HP: 21

STR 12(+0) INT 16(+2)
DEX 13(+1) WIS 8(-1)
CON 15(+1) CHA 9(+0)

GEAR:
dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight),
my armor (8 weight, 0 weight while worn)
a repair kit (6 uses, slow, 1 weight)
wrench (hand, 1 weight)
adventuring gear multiple gadgets of my own design (5 uses, 1 weight)
bag of books HAL Aetheric spirit shard (5 uses, 2 weight)

Shine: 0
Load: 6/10

Bonds
  • I let Professor Usopp wear my suit once. Never again. He's a good man for drinks and theorycrafting on the Heaven.
  • Cy once told me he was hired to kill me and right after that, he told me he wasn't going to kill me. That's the kind of honesty I can respect in a man.
  • Captain Gett helped me with one of my projects, I helped him maximize his profits. We have an understanding, but I can't wait til he lets me take a crack at upgrading this heap. :q:

quote:

MECHANIC MOVES:
Aetheric Powered Armor
  • Aetheric Repulsor Cannons: Near, Piercing 2, 2 ammo (When you Make Camp, restock 2-ammo.)
  • Aetheric Glider Vanes: you can fall any distance safely, and control where you land.
  • Sealed Suit: When in your suit, you have 2 Armor instead of 1.

You can use the suit as a weapon with the (close) tag.
When you H&S, roll +INT instead of +STR.

Hold Together
When you would take damage while you are in your suit, you may negate that damage by marking Stress on your suit.
When your suit takes Stress, mark one of the following:
Dinged: You take no penalty for marking this.
☐ Damaged: Your Movement Methods are disabled. The suit can still walk normally.
☐ Disabled: Your Advanced Systems are disabled. Their bonuses do not apply.
☐ Disarmed: Your Primary Weapons are disabled. The suit itself can still be used as a Close weapon.
When you Make Camp, you may unmark one stress to your suit. When every box is marked, your suit is completely destroyed, and it will take a week to rebuild.

Let Me See That
When you take a few moments to handle or examine something interesting, ask the GM two of the following questions. The GM must answer truthfully:
  • What does this do?
  • Who made this?
  • What’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?
  • What has been done most recently with this, or to this?

Take To The Sky (From Skydancer class) Aetheric Repulsor assisted Mass-Negation field
You are capable of controlled flight. You can fly as often and as far as you like, although you may need to Undertake a Perilous Journey if you go too far.
When you fly to get somewhere otherwise out of reach, roll +DEX.
On a 10+, you get where you need to be, no problem.
On a 7-9, you're there, but choose one:
  • A threat is waiting for you when you get there
  • The winds are uncooperative, and you don't get there as quickly as you'd expect
  • Your landing is better described as a crash

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 29, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret
HP: 21/21 | debility: | Armor 2 | XP 0/7

I sit, lost in thought, a folio of scribbled notes and diagrams spilling negligently off my lap. I idly run through a mnemonic exercise I learned as a child, to silently ask myself questions in the hopes that answering this way will clarify my thoughts.
No I'm not talking to myself.
Shut up!

quote:

Where are you on the Heaven right now? What are you doing? How has the last day of sailing been for you?
As of now, I'm sitting in what passes for a lounge, and drinking what passes for a whiskey, on this antiquated relic and freezing my immaculately sculpted rear end off. The last day or so has been fairly calm after we shot down those blasted pirates, at least as calm as this boat ever gets. Yeah, I'm good at staying not-dead, but gods-above-and-below I don't love testing that...

A vibration suddenly passes through the Heaven's hull, clinking the ice in my glass.
Trouble? Maybe. They'll let me know if I'm needed.

quote:

Why should the crew of the Heaven be thankful that you were on board for this trip?
What? Basking in the presence of true genius isn't it's own reward? What about Firepower? Hal and I can almost match this wreck volley for volley. Reconaissance? I can fly faster than anyone who can go further, and further than anyone who can go faster, my suit is smaller, tougher, lighter, and more advanced in every way than just about anything you're ever gonna see out here. I'm the whole package baby.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Usopp
HP: 15/15 | debility: | Armor 1 | XP 0/7

Usopp hasn't actually explored glowing ruins before, but he does recall that during his tenure at the Royal Academy he was involved in correspondence with a Professor Roarke (Ms.) of Barsalvo who had studied some glowing rock very similar to the one on display here. She had even been kind enough to send Usopp a sample for careful analysis, but since his focus had always been more on surface artifacts his memory on the exact details was hazy.

Spouting Lore About the Glowing Rock: 2d6+2 9

So, on a roll of 9 you'll tell me something interesting about the glowing rock, and it's on me to make that useful. As for answering how I know this, I think I already did up there but if you like I can flesh it out even more.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cy
HP: 16/16 | debility: N/A | Armor: 1 | XP: 0/7

The gentle boom of Luka styling his/her/it's hair was a soothing melody to Cy. Sitting as he did in the crows nest, keeping an eye on the surrounding roots. It was nice to think that there was someone on the ship quite as strange as himself... on that point, the other adventurers seemed to be equally as odd. Normality was in short supply these days. Jaret for instance. Now that man had an ego as big as the world tree. Not completely unwarranted, his skills were quite extraordinary.

The captain had been happy to accept his help clearing up the little spat on the docks. The men who were after the professor were really getting desperate. Hiring a mercenary ship to attack them. Of course cannon fire had a particularly useful trait to someone who could move as fast as Cy. They made very convenient little platforms. After than it was a simple matter to flash through the ship and slice the helms man's throat, open the captain up from neck to waist, and cut the helm line. Getting back over to the Heaven was a quick little jaunt along the roots.

Cy looked at the orders he'd plucked from the captains table. "kill the professor" it read. Short, sweet, without signature. The wax seal was unadorned, blank pressed. Solas forbid that they leave any kind of identification. Cy knew who had sent the message. It held all of the usual marks of the Arcadian Spymasters. Identifiable by their attempts to remain anonymous. It was funny really.

Cy glanced down and watch Luka stick its head into the cannon again.

*boom*

Cy turned his attention to the city. Their objective. He knew not of this place. Curiosity stirred within him. Perhaps here would be the place that answers lay. An explanation of what he was. Even so this yellow eyed beast sounded fascinating. He had no doubt that it would make his job that much harder. They would have to wait and see. But a small spark of hope resided within him. Hoping against hope that his long sort answers might finally be within his grasp.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Usopp - Things don't often glow except if they're packed full of shine, or infused with Sola's light by virtue of being a sunstone. And from what you remember about Professor Roarke's stone, it didn't glow like any shine you've ever seen, and sunstones don't glow green.

As the ship drifts down past the massive vines that hang over the Bleaklands--a darkened island of small, twisted trees and sandy soil, and the last "safe" stop for most low-bark miners before heading into uncharted territory--you see something that the more worldly among you would recognize as a classic Arcadian move. From above you, roughly where you last saw the Unremitting Vengeance, come a flock of huge birds with glowing golden marks on their heads. Branded wildlife--because why endanger a sailor when you can send your pets instead?

At one time, these were probably rocs, a noble species of bird native to the downtree regions, where they swoop into the lowest parts of the Lower Cloudsea with their powerful wings to fish up massive wingfish to eat. What the Arcadians have turned these three birds into, however, is a lot less noble. They still have a wingspan about half the length of the Black Heaven, though. And they're coming right for you, flitting between the vines, more agile than any natural roc has any right to be.

One of them soars directly above the Black Heaven, spreads its wings, and opens its beak wide, revealing a strange lattice of wires inside of its mouth that start to spark as they gather aetheric sparks from the damp air. Because of course they've been equipped with weapons.

Classic Arcadia.

The other two fly around to either side of the Heaven, one on the starboard side swooping in beak-first as if to ram right into the ship's hull, and the other moving to disappear underneath.

What do you do?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cy
HP: 16/16 | debility: N/A | Armor: 1 | XP: 0/7

Cy took a moment to sigh. Then the world stopped. Cy moved, flowing between the ticks, dancing along the tocks. Appearing inside the captain's cabin as though he'd always been there. It had taken less than a second to go from the top of the crows nest to inside the room. Some days it was awesome being this drat good.

"Captain, Arcadian Spark Rocs are attacking the ship. Three so far, more probably along the way. I suspect they mean to end us. Up and att'um." Cy spoke softly, almost soothingly. As though very little mattered. Though his words were punctuated by the sword in his hand. In a moment Cy was gone again, appearing next to Jarret.

"Put on your armour. There's trouble. Arcadian Spark Rocs."

Poof, gone.

Continuing his rounds of the ship, Cy deliberately skipped the professor. He was having far to much fun being an unseen protector. Besides, the Prof was the target. Getting him on deck would only make him more of a target.

Cy stepped out next to Luka. Observing the Roc flying to the ships starboard. Judging distances. He needed to disable it. Wings would remove it from the fight. They were simple enough to slice the fight muscles. But if it was equipped with ranged capabilities then it could still be a problem. The only other option would ether be to break the control. Or kill it outright.

Beneath the impassive mask, Cy could have been making any expression. But the stilness of his body spoke only of anticipation. The tap of his finger against his sword's guard was measured, counting the passing seconds. As the bird closed, Cy made his move. Time froze.

- - -

Spending 1 Tock to activate "Give me a moment": Holding 2
Spending 1 Tick to activate "Time Skip" to get onto Starboard Roc's back
Hack and Slash: 2d6+1=10
Choosing to open up self to damage for additional +1d6 damage
Triggering "Instant strike" for additional +1d4 damage.
Total damage role 2d6+1d4=14

- - -

The bird seemed so majestic as it hung in the air, the Arcadians could almost be forgiven for crafting such a thing.

Almost.

Cy jumped, his movement's measured, his strike precise. One second he was there, the next he was gone. His blade bit home in the bird, cutting and slicing like a whirwind of lowbark. He jammed his sword deeply into its shoulder, aiming to sever or hamper it's ability to fly, and braced for ether the impact against the ships hull, or the inevitable electrocution from the Roc's powerlines.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett
Str 8 (-1) | Dex 13 (+1) | Con 12 | Wis 16 (+2) | Int 9 | Cha 15 (+1)

Cy's warning would have been welcome, were Gett in his cabin. As it was, from the bow of the ship, he saw the crackling rocs glide down almost noiselessly, and was on his feet, shouting orders in a moment, his chair overturned and his fiasco of wine spinning on the deck, forgotten.

"Mr. Three-Dooms! To me!" he roared as he raced across the Black Heaven's deck to the wheel. His first mate, the genteel orc Alphonse Three-Dooms, ran over to get and matched his dash.

"Captain!" he shouted in response. Already, one of his hideous black iron swords was in his fist.

"Release the gulls!" Gett ordered. "Have them scout for the ones controlling these things! Tell Master Solaspon to open fire when ready and have the gun crew assist him!" Mr. Three-Dooms peeled off to carry out his orders and Gett vaulted up over the rail to the ship's wheel, taking over for the night pilot, and clipped his harness' hook to the pilot ring. "Get Chief Usopp up here to figure out how these creatures work!"

"Battle stations!" he roared to the men. "Prepare for extreme maneuvers!" Around him, crewmen ran to their positions, attaching their own harnesses so as not to be thrown from the ship. Already the gull scouts were bursting from their quarters, gliding through the night air, alternatively cursing about being woken up and grumbling that they weren't paid enough.

"And someone sober up Mr. Roarke!"

EVASIVE ACTION! (+control [+1 for Wisdom 16, +1 for capable crew]): 2d6+2 10
Capable Crew also helping Luka if he decides to fire cannons.

Just messing around with you a bit for not reading my post, Arashiofordo3, haha.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 3, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, /8 XP

"No, you listen to me! I was testing this cheap gunpowder he picked up whenever we docked last because it looked like it wasn't sealed right. That means if it's old it could've gone impotent. Good for nothing but slowly burning away and making a whole lot of noise and smoke with no Bang! So tell that to Gett especially the part abouOH poo poo!"

Fortunately the gun and I were right in position to shoot before one of the Rocs tries to eat the poor ship's boy. Sure enough, the powder can barely push the ball out of the barrel that I've expertly aimed. If I hadn't wiled away some time shaving all the roundshot into spherical polyhedrons to reduce their drag, it might have not even been enough to hit it even so close. Hopefully it was enough to knock it off course.

The powdermonkey is just standing there in the way of the crew rushing down to help roll the cannon back into position, so I yell at him some more, "See! It's garbage! We gotta use hotshot and hope that we set them on fire when we barely scratch their bellies!"

Yeah that's right, this ship has hotshot, which you normally only get on dockside cannons that can afford to house a giant rear end furnace and don't pitch and roll so you accidentally drop a red hot ball or gently caress up loading it. That's why I'm the Master Gunner! Not that it matters when Goku Cy can just teleport around and frag anything. Maybe it'd be easier to just hand him explosives to plant on the enemies... Less chance of shooting his faster-than-a-speeding-cannonball rear end, too.

cannon; dmg: 2d6+1 11 2d6 3 Actually a 12 bc I rolled before Gett went.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke
HP: 21/21 | debility: | Armor 2 | XP 1/7

You might think Cy's sudden appearance startling me would be the reason I spilled my drink, you'd be wrong, but you might think that. It was the sudden maneuvers of the Heaven, that's all.

Arcadian Roc, huh?

My workshop is down on the gunnery deck, I dodge crewmembers as I sprint to get there. I pass Luka being...Luka as I reach the back of the ship. My shop is a study in organized chaos, projects and machinery I've been tinkering with litter just about every horizontal surface. With a practiced ease that almost seems clairvoyant, I skip over or circle around the obstacles to reach what, at first, appears to be a large metal coffin built upright into the ship's bulkhead. I call it The Cradle. The doors slide open at the touch of my palm, revealing my armor standing inside.
Gleaming red and gold, the plates in front are shifted up or over to reveal the padded inside. I turn and step backwards like I've done hundreds of times before. Once inside, HAL wakes, and seals up my armor around me, and activating the various glowing gauges and status readouts I've installed inside the helmet.

"Ready sir?" the aether spirit asks.
"Punch it."

At my command the mounting holding the suit rotates within the cradle, like a secret door, suddenly I'm standing in a slightly recessed port in the side of the Black Heaven, formerly a cannon port, but modified extensively for just this purpose. I trigger the mass-negation field, and activate thrusters. Launching myself to swoop out and around the ship as the gigantic birds appear as ghostly silhouettes on my readouts.
Flight 7
A threat is waiting for you when you get there

I target one Roc, but it suddenly spouts blood. Cy. I shift to the next and lock on. I raise my arms, the high pitched tone telling me the aetheric cannons in my palms are charged and ready to fire.
Volley 6 +XP
Well, that's off to a great start. :suicide:

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 3, 2015

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

The Black Heaven's engines shrieked in effort and the whole ship shuddered as Gett dragged it through the danger, but he had a moment to spare to see Mr. Roarke's fancy technology fail him.

"Hahaha!" he shouted into the truculent winds. "Knew it!"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, /8 XP

Solasoddit now Roarke is flying into the path of the Roc trying to deflect it too, but his energy weapon isn't strong enough. Guess his suit and the ship weren't too far apart in ability to perform after all. Luckily for both, I'm here to pull them out of the me. After all, if Roarke crashes and burns I might never know whatever he knows that I don't!

Luka's "hair" starts to rise and redden behind it's shiny sooty covering, and they hiss and crackle with effort, in sympathy with Hal, increasing the force of the cannon to at least be enough to give Roarke an option.

Burns Twice as Bright
When you channel the flames of fate, you may treat a missed roll as a 7-9 or a
7-9 result as a 10+. This may be a roll you or another character has made. Tell the
GM something you’ve lost; an emotion, a memory or some innate piece of your
being. You may not use this move again until you’ve used Burns Half As Long.

I snap out of it after a bit, feeling a familiar awakening disorientation, "OK, so what are we doing? Chasing... Rocs?"

Luka forgets what was happening, how many Rocs there are, that the gunpowder sucks, and the plan to use heated shot. Roarke gets a 7-9 option on Volley.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke

I watch in dismay as power levels to the cannons drop to almost nothing.
"Not good, notgoodnotgood. HAL gimme options!"

Before HAL can respond, I hear an odd humming, and watch as my power levels climb right back up. Ugh, I swear I'm gonna get the cannon power nodes aligned properly even if I have to render this piece of crap down to it's component elements and start over... I lock on once more and wait for tone...

Volley should now be a 7
You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger as described by the GM
damage 4 2 piercing

For one single eye-searing instant, twin bolts of man-made lightning run from my palms to the body of the giant bird. After a barely noticed delay, a slight overpressure wave, and a sound like thunder rumbles over the Heaven.

Removing my XP, since the roll got modified.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp
HP: 15/15 | debility: | Armor 1 | XP 0/7

Usopp was working on a personal project of his with Bud-E under the deck (namely, he was breaking apart one of the surface artifacts, a device he had dubbed "An Apparatus for the Explicit Purpose of Burning Pieces of Bread") when he suddenly heard the the flapping of extremely large wings. "Uh oh, arcadian rocs. I better keep my head down," he thought just as one of Captain Gett's crew burst into the room without so much as a knock.

"Trouble above. Captain wants to see you immediately."

"Uh oh," Usopp thought, fully knowing that he was likely the reason for the sudden appearance of the huge birds. Regardless, he looked at Bud-E, saying "Come, we are needed," to which the little automaton responded with a frustrated whirring of gears before climbing into Usopp's rugsack.

Usopp struggled to get up deck due to the ship's constant swinging and swaying due to the ship's evasive maneuvers.

"Uh, Captain? You requested my presence?"

Upon being told that he was supposed to know how the creatures worked he thought out loud "Well, this is hardly my area of expertise, I'm more of an expert in technology and not zoology, but I guess one of my reference books might have something on these creatures."

Usopp dug up one of his catalogues of the strange and mysterious (Oddly enough, titled A Catalogue of Creatures Strange and Mysterious) and began turning its pages furiously.

Spouting Lore About Arcadian Rocs: 2d6+3 8

Once again I learn something interesting but not necessarily immediately useful. Also, because I burned one of the uses of my catalogue of the strange and mysterious (down to 4 uses now) you also get to tell me a detail I'd rather not have known. However, I can also declare a detail about the topic that now becomes true. I'll wait for you to give me my interesting fact as well as the thing I'd rather not have found out before supplying my own twist to it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cy, as you sink your blade into the branded roc's shoulder, it spasms, its life quickly leaking from its many wounds, and the lightning it was gathering arcs out of control, sparking and crackling around you. You take a pretty nasty shock--you take 8 damage (best of 2d8+1, -1 for your Armor). Jeez. That damage roll did not go your way.

Meanwhile, at the Captain's orders, the crew maneuvers the Heaven sharply up and to port, letting the ramming roc sail harmlessly under. Jerret, your somewhat clumsy flight places you directly in its path. As it bears down on you, titanic beak ready to crash right into your chest plate, your aetheric cannons jolt to life at just the right time, zapping the bird right in the face and causing it to barely miss you with its beak, and its massive wing misses your head just barely. It swoops back around, course-correcting, and reaches out with its talons, grabbing you tightly as it starts to fly upward.

Luka, as the roc that flew under the Heaven swoops up to grab to the ship's boy, you blast it right in its feathery chest, sending it careening backwards through the air. As it rights itself, it starts gathering up aetheric energy, beak wide open, and staring right at you, Luka.

Usopp, in all of the chaos, you're having a hard time remembering many details about rocs, but that's okay--you can tell these rocs aren't natural creatures, or at least, they aren't anymore. Rocs are normally solitary creatures, but these things are heavily modified, inside and out, and seem to be able to communicate through their Arcadian tech. Also, and you kind of wish you didn't know this part, but branded creatures have a bad habit of exploding when they die, as their inner tech overloads with the solar energy they've absorbed. You remember this just as you notice the bird that Cy killed plummeting through the air, ready to land right on top of the Heaven, sparking with lightning and glowing a suspicious, rather sunny shade of gold...

What do you do?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, /8 XP

I stare right back at the unfamiliar but obviously hostile Roc, over the cannonballs the powderboy shoved into my hands that I turn red hot, then over the cannons that I run back and aim before yanking their cables like a charioteer. Oh I also try to mutter something cool: "Lets make some hotwings..."

Give Me Fuel, Give me Fire
When you gaze intensely into someone eyes, you may ask their player “what fuels the flames
of your desire?” they’ll answer with the truth, even if the character does not know or would
otherwise keep this hidden.

Cannon Volley; damage: 2d6+1 6 7 2d6 8

I forgot to add the crew bonus again. Using extra ammo, 5 > 4.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp
HP: 15/15 | debility: | Armor 1 | XP 1/8

First of all, the fact that I'm adding is the following: the Arcadian tech used to brand animals has one major design hitch, namely that it's extremely susceptible to cold. There's a reason why Arcadian rocs are only used during the hot season, because extremely cold temperatures have a way of shutting down the tech, making the animals regain their free will again. If only there was something very cold around...

"Oh crap, this is bad," Usopp says, mostly to himself as the dead roc's body plummets towards the Heaven.

"Captain! She's gonna blow!"

Usopp reacts instinctively, jumping towards the Captain ready to give him the extra push in order to change the Heaven's course so as to evade the falling roc.

Aiding Captain Gett: 2d6+1 5 But something goes horribly wrong. :v:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | Map 1 (now 0) | Trade 1

Gett ground his teeth together. One was dead, which was excellent. It was about to fall on him though, and that was less excellent. He crossed one hand over the other, spinning the wheel furiously.

The Wheel of Fortunes, he thought to himself. How apropos. Like everything else, this was a gamble, and he was betting on his crew.

There. A borehole in the tree, left from a giant woodeworm. It was big enough for the Black Heaven to slip through, but for something that had to flap wings to keep aloft, it would be tight quarters. If luck was on their side, perhaps one would even flatten itself against the bark of the tree. Woodeworms never ate holes too deep, so it would eventually bring them back to the outer sky.

Gripping the wheel and bracing his feet, he dove the Black Heaven towards the hole.

Chart the Course (WIS): You can spend one Map at any time to choose one:

• Point out a safe spot to travel through

Should I roll another piloting check?

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 4, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke

The Roc has me pretty firmly gripped in it's claws, my arms are pinned to my sides, which means the cannons aren't an option. Luckily not having an option, isn't an option. I start straining against the claws, putting more and more power into the suit's servos granting me strength that I couldn't possibly muster alone. The servos whine under the strain.
Defy Danger - STR 8

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 5, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
:stare: holy crap that's half my HP in a single go! Wow, gently caress these birds.

Cy
HP: 8/16 | debility: N/A | Armor: 1 | XP: 0/7 | Tick: 1 | Tock: 1 | Defend Hold: 3 | Moment Hold: 2

The lightning discharge had hurt more than he'd expected it too. Clearly this one had been charging along the way. His form smoked slightly, as he ported off the now very dead Roc and back onto solid ground of the ship. That limited his options somewhat. He couldn't take another hit like that. His body was impossibly fast, but fragile with it. It was at that moment that he noticed that Jarret had chosen to wrestle with the creatures. Sounded exciting. He considers assisting, but given that man was so proud of his drat suit he might take offence.

It was in then that Cy saw the Captain's course. The bore hole. Smart thinking. But he needed to be sure the flying wonder man knew as well. Based on his current flight path he might not even see them go in.

This was probably going to hurt, a lot.

- - -
Spending 1 Tick for 1 Tock to Time Skip to Jarret
Spending 1 Tock to activate Temporal Armour - Defending Jarret
Rolling Defend +INT: 2d6+2=14
Hold 3 Defend
- - -

If suddenly appearing in front of the armoured flying man wasn't surprising enough. Cy grabbed hold of him, like some kind of robe wearing sword wielding monkey.

"If you're done playing around, the Captain is going to attempt to lose our attackers. If you would be so kind as to make your way back to the ship, I'll give you some cover."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Luka, who are you using Give Me Fuel, Give Me Fire on? If it's the roc, the answer is: completely blank. This thing doesn't have any desires of its own. You can feel, somewhere deep down inside what's left of its mind, someone else's desire, though, and it looks a whole lot like a little machine you feel like you've seen around before.

On top of that, though, Luka's cannon fire strikes true once again, striking the bird's wing--you hear a horrible crunch as the bird starts to spiral down, no longer able to sustain its flight. In its death throes (it's quite dead), its aetheric lightning starts sparking out of control. Most of it doesn't hit anything, but one bolt licks the Black Heaven's mainsail, setting its corner on fire!

Jerret, your suit's servos creak and whine as you strain against the might of the roc's huge talons. It's strong enough, though, and you break free, though your suit is a bit worse for wear; take a -1 DEX debility until you can repair the servos. As soon as you're free, the huge bird swoops around again, opening its beak, ready to grab your leg and drag you off again. Cy, however, gets there just in time; how will you use your Hold to defend Jerret, Cy?

Captain Gett, under normal circumstances, you'd be able to make this flight, no problem. However, the professor decided to "help" you, so now you should make another piloting check, because Usopp threw off your course just enough that you might well crash the Heaven right into the side of the woodeworm hole. Academics, am I right? To make matters worse, there's a cold mist around the entrance of the hole--you're close enough to the Lower Cloudsea now that things can get a bit icy and hazy. Visibility isn't great.

And that bird's still falling, and it's still going to hit you--you've moved enough that it won't land right in the center of the Heaven, but it'll probably clip the back of the ship if you're not quick. And it's still glowing, too...

To summarize:
  • Jerret, take -1 DEX until you can fix your servos. The roc that was holding you is now charging right for you, beak open.
  • Cy, you're defending Jerret. How are you doing so?
  • Luka, you killed one! But its death throes set the ship's mainsail on fire.
  • Usopp, you are not a skilled pilot, and that bird is about to blow up any second now.
  • Captain Gett, thanks to the professor's "help," you now have to fight to keep the ship on course into the woodeworm hole or risk smashing right into the tree.
What do you all do?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 8, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, /8 XP

"Hah! Didn't even have a chance to atta--aw..." Everyone else shields their eyes from the flash of lightning, but I follow its quick path to our sails. I'm not that mad about them, they look cooler when their edges are rough. Then I see past them another Roc (seriously?) crash landing and on a collision course with us. After which it will explode like the last one. Crap.

Time to kill two birds with one stone: I start screaming "Go around, go around!" to command the cornerfire to quick take just the edges of all the sails, being careful not to sever them from the yardarms. The idea is if they can burn hot and fast enough they'll make an updraft of hot air that could throw the spiraling Roc away without loving up the sails much more than cosmetically. After they do their job styling the sails and pushing big bird away just before he smushes us, they can try to jump to him and have hot wings! Everybody wins. Except big bird.

Zuko Style: 2d6+2 10
When you bend a flame to your will, roll+WIS. On a 10+ it does as you command, taking the
shape and movement you desire for as long as it has fuel on which to burn. On a 7-9 the effect
is short-lived, lasting only a moment.

Yeah I was using GMF^2 on the Roc.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
can't do a full post until tonight, but I have a move that applies when the suit takes damage. Does that apply now? Because if it does the suit is Dinged instead of the debility. If not, no big deal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Error 404 posted:

can't do a full post until tonight, but I have a move that applies when the suit takes damage. Does that apply now? Because if it does the suit is Dinged instead of the debility. If not, no big deal.

That makes sense to me. You can make that move apply here.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cy
HP: 8/16 | debility: N/A | Armor: 1 | XP: 0/7 | Tick: 1 | Tock: 1 | Defend Hold: 3 | Moment Hold: 2

- - -

Spending 1 Moment Hold - to see something of use
Spending 1 Defend hold - Redirect attack to someone else other than the attacker.

- - -

Cy crouched on Jarret's back as he took off. The bird took only a moment to recover and come back around. Time slowed and Cy took the opportunity to take a look around. The Roc was going for Jarret's leg, attacking it could get them both electrocuted, so they needed a distraction to get a bit of distance.

The Floating Mists Basking Log Lizard was a known foe of Rocs. They'd had a symbiotic relationship of predator and pray, battling each other to become more effective at killing one another for centuries. The lizard was a large reptilian creature with far too many legs, the skin tone of the large handing trees it preferred to bask on and a paralysing stinger hidden in it's spine covered tail. Relying on this last line of defence to let their hunters fall to their deaths amongst the floating islands and vine mazes.

It was convenient then, that just such a creature was sitting dead still on one of the nearby tree trunks, content to only need to defend itself if it was in immediate danger. Hoping it's natural camouflage would assist in remaining unnoticed. Pity really.

The temporal flows shifted around Cy as he tapped the bird with his sword. Moving as fast as he did caused the bird to be wholly knocked off of course and into the Log Lizard. Cy was under no doubt that the Roc would win that little fight, but it might just buy them the time they need.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | Map 0 | Trade 1

Gett slapped Usopp's hands away from him as he did his level best to keep them all from dying.

"Get- get away!" he roared. "Use one of your machines, do something useful!"

Shaking his head, he leaned hard into the turn, hoping to slingshot the Black Heaven out from under the roc and dive to safety.

DIVE DIVE DIVE (+control [+1 for Wisdom 16, +1 for capable crew]): 2d6+2 8

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 12, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

"Uh, sorry captain. I'll be out of your way now."

With one roc having just exploded next to the ship and another coming towards the ship, Usopp rummages through his trunk furiously. "Okay, something that I can use to quickly cool that exploding roc. Bud-E, give me a hand here."

When you take a few moments to dig through your collection for something useful, describe what you're looking for and what you want it to do. You can have potentially anything on hand, but the GM will tell you one to four of the following:
  • It is either consumable or faulty, and will only work once
  • It was not intended to be used for this
  • It will take a lot of time and effort to use properly
  • It won't work unless you _____
  • The curio's effects are incredibly specific
  • You get something close to what you want, but not quite
  • You'll need help from _____ to use it safely

Usopp is looking for something, whatever, that could make something cool quickly so he could cool down the roc before its mechanism explodes.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke
HP: 21/21 Suit Condition: Dinged | debility: | Armor 2 | XP 0/7

Cy pops into being on my back, but I manage to correct course as the Roc releases me. the armor plates on my arms a little worse for wear with scuffs and small dents.
I watch as the third and final Roc is thrown into the closest tree.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sorry for the delay, everyone. Not an excellent work week. I'll have a new post today!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The flames heed your call, Luka. They burn fast and hot around the edges of the sails, causing no functional damage but burning themselves out in a spectacular blaze of glory that you're probably the only one paying attention to. What a shame. The updraft from them strikes the falling roc, seeming to slow its descent enough to...

...buy Usopp some time. Professor, as you dig through your collection, Bud-E hands you a little brass sphere that you recognize as having been part of the same collection of curios that he was. It is, as the catalogers called it, a "device by which to freeze an object upon forceful contact." In layman's terms? It's a friggin' ice bomb. It's a little dinged, but it's freezing cold to the touch--it'll work, so long as you can hit the roc with it. Luckily, it's a big target.

Cy, you feel your low-bark blade strain under the vibrations ringing through it after you gently tapped the roc at full speed. The roc smacks right into the basking log lizard, which springs into action attacking the huge feathered beast for daring to interrupt its slumber. As the bird and the lizard battle it out, it's clear that the bird's "enhancements" are winning the day--as Jerret rights himself in the air and surveys his dinged suit, the bird is already shocking the life out of the poor lizard.

Captain Gett, you've just barely managed to maneuver the Heaven towards the borehole in the tree. You're on course, but not quite fast enough--the falling, exploding roc is mere yards away. You're almost there, almost there, but that thing's going to blow in a matter of seconds if nobody does anything, and the blast radius, well... let's just say I hope you weren't too attached to the poop deck.

Time slows to a crawl. It's now or never--you pull this off, you all escape more or less intact. You've got one roc mostly healthy, distracted for a few precious moments, and another about to erupt in a bark-shattering blast of solar force.

What do you do?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cy
HP: 8/16 | debility: N/A | Armor: 1 | XP: 0/7 | Tick: 1 | Tock: 1 | Defend Hold: 2 | Moment Hold: 1

"I've bought you some time. Now fly drat you!" Cy said to Jarret. Looking out for new threats.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | Map 0 | Trade 1 | Hold 3

Using Swashbuckling to get some hold to kick this escape into high gear. Will post after Usopp tries his cold-bomb thing, the academic deserves a chance to redeem himself.
Swashbuckling: 2d6+2 11, 3 hold.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 12, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

As Bud-E hands Usopp the device he inspects it quickly, says "That'll work," mostly to himself, and starts taking aim at the roc, suddenly wishing he hadn't spent all of his childhood reading books while the other kids his age were playing catch.

Volleying with the ice bomb: 2d6+0 7

Since I can't expend ammo and I'm not sure if dealing damage with the ice bomb makes sense in this situation, I'll put myself into danger.

Usopp finds himself not only having to adjust his aim a number of times, but as he feels the weight of the device in his hand he decides to run closer to the roc to make sure that he hits it.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, 1/8 XP

Luka, eyes closed and dusting off their hands, smugly turns from the Roc, "I think after that uplifting performance that I deserve a raise!" Then eyes open not to behold a cowed Captain, but Usopp charging with what looks like a black evil ball that sucks in all heat, and everyone else grabbing onto the ship for dear life as it free fall dives. The scholar will surely lose his footing and float off into the cloud of freezing gas he's about to make, so Luka screams for rope, makes a harness, then leaps after Usopp right when he releases the grenade and the ship releases him.

Aid Usopp from future Danger w/ Crew help: 2d6+2 6

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke
HP: 21/21 Suit Condition: Dinged | debility: | Armor 2 | XP 0/7

I gain some altitude with Cy yelling in my ear.
"My turn." my amplified voice crackles through the voxponder built into the suit's helm.

I raise my arms once again, charging the cannons with a whine.
Volley 12
damage 5 2 piercing
Twin bolts of blue-white energy lance out, digging into the injured roc, and probably the lizard it's fighting with.

Without looking at the aftermath, I turn in mid-air and make best speed back to the Black Heaven with Cy on my back.
Flight 10

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | XP 0/8 | Map 0 | Trade 1 | Hold 2

The exploding roc was an immediate concern, but it wasn't the only one. Gett mentally rolled the dice and they came up in the favour of the Professor's abilities, so he decided to direct attention to the other.

"Mr. Three-Dooms! Jettison the port dorsal sail on my mark!" he shouted. The First Mate scrambled across the heaving boards of the ship, boarding axe in hand. Bracing himself as best he could, he hefted the axe and looked to the captain.

"Mark!" roared Gett, and the orc chopped through the lines holding the sail. Suddenly free, the sail flew violently away from the ship, and enveloped the third roc.

"Outstanding!" shouted the Captain, fist in the air.

Spending 1-hold to Create an obstacle or distraction an enemy has to deal with

Edit:

slydingdoor posted:

a cowed Captain

Never! :yarr:

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 14, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Usopp, a lot of things are happening at once and it's all a bit of a blur to you. But here's how it goes down: as the freezing cold sphere leaves your grip, you feel yourself losing your footing and stumbling. You start to fall over the stern just as you see the device hit the roc, covering it in frost. The roc just barely misses colliding with the back of the Heaven and falls like a... well, a rock, down below the Cloudsea. There is no explosion. Just as you start to fall, you see the ship's resident Solaspon swing in on a harness, ready to save you... but not that well.

Luka, you grab Usopp just as he tumbles over the side of the ship, but your harness snags the rail at the back of the aft deck--now you're dangling from the back of the ship, holding on to Usopp, both of you being lashed around as the Captain directs the ship into the borehole.

Jerret, the roc finishes with the lizard just in time to turn its attention to you--and your cannons charge just in time to blast it right in its feathery face. You see it recoil from the arcing energy, crying out in pain, assuming it can feel pain anymore, just as a sail comes out of nowhere, envelops it, and sends it tumbling downward to its inevitable doom. (Nice work on that one, Captain.)

The Heaven is now "safely" inside the borehole. You can all see a faint light on the other end of it, but there are vines and wooden protrusions to maneuver past on the way, and the ship is slowing down without Sola's rays directly on its sails. In fact, you're coming up on a pretty big spike of wood right in your path, and it's going to be a damned tight fit to get by it without knocking off one of the Heaven's masts.

So, the situation:
  • As far as you can all tell, the rocs are dealt with. Nice! How about you all mark 1 XP for getting through that one.
  • Not everyone's out of danger, though. Usopp and Luka are dangling from the back of the Heaven, which is a precarious spot to be in as the ship maneuvers through a pretty tight borehole.
  • It's not going to be easy to maneuver through this narrow hole, and you have no idea what's on the other side of it. Plus, you have a limited time before the ship stops due to a lack of solar power (unless you have a suncrystal around).
What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | XP 1/8 | Map 0 | Trade 1 | Hold 2

Captain Gett allowed himself a moment to breathe. For the moment, all enemies were vanquished, and they were more or less safe. Now, however, there was the matter of getting through this borehole and back to the open skies.

"Mr. Three-Dooms!" the Captain shouted again, and the long-suffering orc trotted up sharply. "Gather the crew to haul Master Solaspon and Chief Usopp back aboard and put them to work. Have Master Solaspon man the forward guns and clear the path as needed, and Chief Usopp to get what life we have left out of the engines. When Mr. Roarke and...Mr...Cy? return, have them scout ahead and clear the way."

He paused, cranking the wheel suddenly.

"Good work, men, outstanding response! You've done your ship proud!" he shouted. "Double rations of gin when next we rest!"

A windfall always followed a successful gamble. Gett's crew knew that as well as he did.

How fast is this spur coming up, should I make a piloting roll? Or do we have time for Luka to get back and man the guns?

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 14, 2015

• Locked thread