Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Or do real adults not game at all?

Basically, even as a single man without children, I can't manage to find time to game multiple hours straight, and even when I find long stretches of time to engage in my hobby, I worry that it is my only free time and I should be doing something more productive like reading biographies of presidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

videogames are for children, op

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
i felt that way too, the solution is to give uop

instead of reading, play games, instead of developing a skill set, or expanding your horizons in any way, play games. sleep 2 hours fewer, play games, microwave a meal instead of cooking it, play games.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
For instance, today after work I did what I was supposed to do as a responsible adult: I exercised. But after that, I was drained of energy and wasn't in the mood to game.

This has been the routine for months now.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
oh man you know football? go don't care about that. instead play games. frees up time. all that time wwatching football holly gently caress

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

TEAYCHES posted:

videogames are for children, op

p much

but if I had time and money I'd buy a ps4 and go loving nuts on gta 5

so it follows that if I had money I would be more juvenile

as a doctor I
Aug 30, 2012
College Slice
be single, have a good paying job of less than 30 hours a week, don't drink. and do lots of cocaine.
Aw who am I kidding. Have a trust fund or be unemployed and live with the parents.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I used to work 50 hours a week and I gamed all the loving time. Make time for it or remain forever a filthy casual. hth.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jukeboxblues posted:

I used to work 50 hours a week and I gamed all the loving time. Make time for it or remain forever a filthy casual. hth.

thanks, that does help

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Enfield posted:

thanks, that does help

Glad to help :DDD

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I always wonder the same thing when some poster in Games says: "Yeah, I'm just gonna replay X,Y and Z and get platinum before the new game comes out". Or: "Yeah, if you want to get up to date on the backstory of Metal Gear Solid I suggest you play *list of 78 games, ranging from PS1 to PS4* before buying the new game that comes out next week."

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Save 'em all for retirement.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I use one of those time-turners from Harry Potter OP, but it's very hush hush

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you don't find time, you make it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

beedeebee posted:

I always wonder the same thing when some poster in Games says: "Yeah, I'm just gonna replay X,Y and Z and get platinum before the new game comes out". Or: "Yeah, if you want to get up to date on the backstory of Metal Gear Solid I suggest you play *list of 78 games, ranging from PS1 to PS4* before buying the new game that comes out next week."
mgsv happens after mgs3 and pw, that's it

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I work 40 hours a week, have classes, do social things, and still have time to play games. Maybe you're not actually very good at being an adult because you suck at managing your time, specifically your work/life balance, OP.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I work 60 hours a week, and I feel entitled to do whatever the gently caress with my free time I want is how I justify it i guess

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
don't read biographies of presidents.
if you have other poo poo to do video games will still be there
people manage their time differently

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Cubone posted:

oh man you know football? go don't care about that. instead play games. frees up time. all that time wwatching football holly gently caress

One time I tried to get into Hockey. I picked a team and tried to DVR all their games and poo poo. Holy gently caress are there a lot of hockey games in a season, how does anyone keep up with that poo poo or am I being a spergin nerd and going about it all wrong? Anyhow more to the OPs point, growing up and even as an adult now I notice real actual adults that arent baby men still manage to spend a decent amount of relaxation time in front of a TV. If that time was instead devoted to gaming it would be enough to be considered a pretty hardcore elite gamer bro

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

have an office job where your work really only takes like an hour to do but you still have to be there all day

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

One time I tried to get into Hockey. I picked a team and tried to DVR all their games and poo poo. Holy gently caress are there a lot of hockey games in a season, how does anyone keep up with that poo poo or am I being a spergin nerd and going about it all wrong?

I'm pretty sure only the craziest hardcore fans watch all 82 games in a season, the rest of us just kinda cherry-pick games based on who our team is playing or maybe we'll catch an interesting match-up elsewhere in the league from time to time, like maybe the Winter Classic if we're not too hungover from New Years. But it's all hands on deck for the playoffs, of course.

Even a lot of hockey fans would agree that 82 regular season games is nuts and that number could be cut in half without too much complaining. They often bump up the number of pre-season games, too. Just another money thing I guess.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
right, I love hockey but never catch all regular season games.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheJoker138 posted:

I work 40 hours a week, have classes, do social things, and still have time to play games. Maybe you're not actually very good at being an adult because you suck at managing your time, specifically your work/life balance, OP.

your incredibly smug about being able to play video games

Woden
May 6, 2006
Don't have children OP, be the child.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
eat speed

dont sleep

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

all i have time to do is post

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

starry skies above posted:

Or do real adults not game at all?

Basically, even as a single man without children, I can't manage to find time to game multiple hours straight, and even when I find long stretches of time to engage in my hobby, I worry that it is my only free time and I should be doing something more productive like reading biographies of presidents.

hmm op well last night i got back from work at 7pm and then went to the gym from about 8 till 9 and then came home and made dinner which took till like 9:45 and then i sat down and played METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN from about 10pm till 11:30pm and that's why I felt like stepped on trash when my alarm clock went off at 6:30 this morning. thanks for asking.
I guess in conclusion i dont have time for games but i play them anyway to the detriment of my health and performance at work and other apsects of my life because im an overgrown infant who cant get through 24 hours without playing with childrens' toys. :cheers:

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
don't cry, carl

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Mostly I see adults play games while in line or on the subway. Also instead of watching TV some will play games.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ChairmanMeow posted:

don't cry, carl

im feeling very fretful and grumpy this morning because i haven't had my eight hours.

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

I make the best space doll houses ever

Oberleutnant posted:

i play them anyway to the detriment of my health and performance at work and other apsects of my life because im an overgrown infant who cant get through 24 hours without playing with childrens' toys. :cheers:

Overgrown infant crew checking in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also "I don't have the energy to play games" is the weirdest loving thing I've ever heard. It's like saying you don't have the energy to watch TV or you don't have the energy to take a nap. It's a totally sedentary activity which requires no energy at all to do.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i watch people commenting on videos of people watching videos of people playing games, i dont actually play games myself

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

just kidding , gonig to get my game on rn, add ne on steam to relax and talk about cocks and balls

momerath
Nov 15, 2014
lol if you find joy in children's toys

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Also "I don't have the energy to play games" is the weirdest loving thing I've ever heard. It's like saying you don't have the energy to watch TV or you don't have the energy to take a nap. It's a totally sedentary activity which requires no energy at all to do.

It's not. There are times when I can't be arsed to watch any TV because I I am stressed from work and would not have the mental energy to sit down and follow the plot. At that time playing video games would be equally to much mental effort. So would reading a book.
Instead, I either go running or take a lot of time to cook dinner. Both of these activities relax my brain whereas video games TV or movies will engage your brain. If my brain is tired gently caress TV/games.

Plus the guy who said don't watch football is sort of correct. Any sports you follow takes up at least 4 hours of your week. That is not a bad thing in itself, just prioritize.

How do some women find the time to constantly meet their BFF and go shopping? How do some people play a sport or go to the gym 3 times a week? Priorities!

I mean unless you sleep 12 hours of your day you should have some time left.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
if you don't watch TV and don't follow sports it frees up a pretty massive amount of time that can be used to shoot children in the head in murder simulators.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
some really interesting points here guys, thanks

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

don't have a job where you work more than 8 hours a day hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
lately when i play witcher 3 i have to take a jerk-off break whenever Yen, Triss, or Ciri comes on the screen. And then when I'm done I don't usually re-open the game.

• Locked thread