Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

tumblr.txt posted:

Call it what you will, but I honestly believe it could be sold to first-world countries. We could save a given number Men, Women and Children, or 10 times that many Women and Children. There is no point discussing solutions that are politically impossible.

Apparently, the table's open for incredibly reprehensible ones, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Australia is literally keeping people in offshore camps and making it illegal to whistleblow on rape etc. The horrific solutions have already proven possible to implement.

e: How do I get one of those sweet gang tags?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
What kind of world do some of these guys live in where forced sterilization and eugenics is more marketable than providing refugees with safety?

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
:australia:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tumblr.txt posted:

The horrific solutions have already proven possible to implement.

Never underestimate people's ability to compartmentalize and look the other way. Everyone must be made to confront the 30% bad of ourselves and our society, or they will just persist in the delusion of 100% good.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Volkerball posted:

The US had a NFZ in Iraq for a decade prior to Iraq and all it did was prevent a second al-Anfal campaign, but feel free to try and explain to a Syrian who's family was killed by a barrel bomb that we can't stop the regime from dropping them indiscriminately because that's a gateway bomb.

Separate from other US policies at the time the Iraq NFZ was arguably a Good Thing, but the US didn't really have a group it wanted to replace Saddam. In the case of Syria, the US clearly supported the rebels, and it's pretty hard to believe a NFZ over Syria wouldn't have developed along the lines of military intervention in Libya. Also at the time the US was enforcing a NFZ over Iraq it was also enforcing a starvation blockade. So yeah, its worth considering that even if a small portion of US policy was good, overall its intervention had a pretty horrific effect on Iraq, even before the 2003 invasion.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chomskyan posted:

Separate from other US policies at the time the Iraq NFZ was arguably a Good Thing, but the US didn't really have a group it wanted to replace Saddam. In the case of Syria, the US clearly supported the rebels, and it's pretty hard to believe a NFZ over Syria wouldn't have developed along the lines of military intervention in Libya. Also at the time the US was enforcing a NFZ over Iraq it was also enforcing a starvation blockade. So yeah, its worth considering that even if a small portion of US policy was good, overall its intervention had a pretty horrific effect on Iraq, even before the 2003 invasion.

No it's not, because this is a really dumb way to try and act like ignoring Syria was a good idea. It was predicted by many people right from the get go that there was no ignoring it, and obviously we're seeing that prediction come to fruition now.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen horrors, horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that, but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror! Horror has a face, and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Volkerball posted:

No it's not, because this is a really dumb way to try and act like ignoring Syria was a good idea. It was predicted by many people right from the get go that there was no ignoring it, and obviously we're seeing that prediction come to fruition now.

Your argument depends on the US being a good faith actor that would implement a Syrian air campaign in a way that mitigates civilian casualties, rather than one that maximizes the opposition's chances of winning the civil war. That assumption is at best laughably naive. Perhaps if the US didn't have such a long history of cynical foreign policy (almost always under the guise of humanitarianism), it would be easier to accept the idea of a US administered no fly zone.

Also the US didn't ignore Syria. It pumped millions of dollars worth of weapons and equipment into the Syrian opposition, essentially fueling the conflict, and also contributing to the rise of ISIS. In case you forgot.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chomskyan posted:

Your argument depends on the US being a good faith actor that would implement a Syrian air campaign in a way that mitigates civilian casualties, rather than one that maximizes the opposition's chances of winning the civil war. That assumption is at best laughably naive. Perhaps if the US didn't have such a long history of cynical foreign policy (almost always under the guise of humanitarianism), it would be easier to accept the idea of a US administered no fly zone.

Also the US didn't ignore Syria. It pumped millions of dollars worth of weapons and equipment into the Syrian opposition, essentially fueling the conflict, and also contributing to the rise of ISIS. In case you forgot.

We're coming from fundamentally different perspectives on how the US government and democracy works, specifically in regards to foreign policy. I've got no interest in following this debate to its natural conclusion of secret elites bullshit, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Chomskyan.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chomskyan posted:

The US was never directly providing weapons in Syria, those were being bought by the Saudis and maybe the CIA helped smuggle them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

The US was never directly providing weapons in Syria, those were being bought by the Saudis and maybe the CIA helped smuggle them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...889d_story.html

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Ligur posted:

According to Merit Wager from the Swedish Migration Agency

Wager has never worked for nor been employed by the Swedish migration agency. Says so (literally!) first loving thing on her blog, even.

I don't know why you would think this.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 5, 2015

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

i feel like a youtube clip from that xfiles flashback episode where mulder meets the lone gunmen for the first time and everyone's comically incredulous about the idea that the us government isn't doubleplusgood would be apt

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ernie Muppari posted:

i feel like a youtube clip from that xfiles flashback episode where mulder meets the lone gunmen for the first time and everyone's comically incredulous about the idea that the us government isn't doubleplusgood would be apt

Yeah even as I posted that I had a feeling it would be corrected. Really just great work by the intelligence agencies. Making the world a safer place.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

but at least we can rest easy secure in the knowlege that isis is surely a grassroots popular movement whose rise to prominence was clearly inevitable because of :ghost:arabic culture and barrel bombs:ghost: and not the quite visible hand of western imperialism

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

CommieGIR posted:

50% of the refugees are children. Are you afraid the kids might try to institute Sharia law? Y'know, after fleeing an oppressive religious government in the middle of sectarian violence?

Do you get your news from Stormfront or something?

83% are adults

Counter argument would be that when Malaysia et al started towing boats out to sea Recently they significantly reduced the flow

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ernie Muppari posted:

but at least we can rest easy secure in the knowlege that isis is surely a grassroots popular movement whose rise to prominence was clearly inevitable because of :ghost:arabic culture and barrel bombs:ghost: and not the quite visible hand of western imperialism

baghdadi is a cia puppet

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Another problem of this entire cluster gently caress is the political drain left in Syria. If all of these people are moderates and people less inclined to support Al-Nusra or Isis or whatever fundamentalist regime pops out of the ashes of Syria change is going to come very slowly and its going to be a worse version if not already of Afghanistan in the 80's and 90's.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Wager has never worked for nor been employed by the Swedish migration agency. Says so (literally!) first loving thing on her blog, even.

I don't know why you would think this.

True, she's been quoted as being such because of her close relations to the agency it seems.

But wasn't she the refugee ombudsman in the past, i.e. she has been working with the same system for a bunch and close to the migrationsverket?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Zodium posted:

baghdadi is a cia puppet

you're telling me that the central intelligence agency, the same agency that gave us bin laden and pinochet...

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ernie Muppari posted:

you're telling me that the central intelligence agency, the same agency that gave us bin laden and pinochet...

:wow:

meet me at the central station in Brussels in exactly one hour. we'll find the secret immigration policy plans in the underground EU complex and save the world before bob page becomes an immortal ai god. it's just you and me buddy, just ernie and zodium against the imperial machine, ernie and zodium forever and ever for a hundred episodes ernie and zodium forever

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

what immigration policy?

3peat
May 6, 2010

Didn't notice there was a thread for this so I posted the following in the EE thread, guess it fits better here

3peat posted:

With all this refugee hysteria sweeping europe these days, here's an opinion poll on the subject from romania:

1. Do you agree for Romania to receive a quota of migrants?
- partially agree 33%
- totally agree 32%
- totally disagree 24%
- partially disagree 7%

2. Do you agree with migrants settling in your city/village?
- totally disagree 42%
- partially disagree 8%
- totally agree 23%
- partially agree 23%
(lol at the difference between answers to those 2 questions)

3. How much trust do you have in the government to handle the migration crisis?
- little trust 41%
- no trust 34%
- much trust 15%
- a lot of trust 5%

4. Does the risk of an ISIS terrorist attack in Europe grow with the coming of migrants?
- totally agree 50%
- partially agree 22%
- totally disagree 13%

5. Should the responsibility of handling of the migrant crisis be shared by all EU countries?
- totally agree 57%
- partially agree 22%
- partially disagree 6%
- totally disagree 12%

6. Would you personally help with humanitarian aid for the migrants?
- totally agree 34%
- partially agree 31%
- partially disagree 8%
- totally disagree 23%

7. The governments of EU countries should urgently supply shelter, water, clothes and food to migrants
- totally agree 76%
- partially agree 15%
- partially disagree 2%
- totally disagree 6%

Source at IRES http://www.ires.com.ro/articol/304/criza-imigran-ilor-in-europa---percep%C8%9Bii-publice-ale-romanilor

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Well, that's an optimistic outcome, if that poll is reliable. I'd love to see one done with those questions in Australia.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Ligur posted:

True, she's been quoted as being such because of her close relations to the agency it seems.

But wasn't she the refugee ombudsman in the past, i.e. she has been working with the same system for a bunch and close to the migrationsverket?

Certainly not in a governmental/official capacity. She was an "ombudsman" only insofar as she titled herself as such as part a private association/initiative courtesy of Swedish right wing think-tank Timbro - which is to say not at all. She's a pundit, not an expert.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Certainly not in a governmental/official capacity. She was an "ombudsman" only insofar as she titled herself as such as part a private association/initiative courtesy of Swedish right wing think-tank Timbro - which is to say not at all. She's a pundit, not an expert.

Do you believe she makes up all the things she writes about, because she is malicious and evil or something like that?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm just gonna make a suggestion here. It might sound radical, but here goes.

Move all the migrants to Montana. All of them. We're not using it, and it has enough area and resources to support millions of people.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JT Jag posted:

I'm just gonna make a suggestion here. It might sound radical, but here goes.

Move all the migrants to Montana. All of them. We're not using it, and it has enough area and resources to support millions of people.

The US could easily absorb the bulk of these migrants or more year after year, without it being a blip on our radar. We have plenty of land, plenty of resources, and a culture that a) is much more receptive to assimilation, and b) has the concept of "being American" bound up in embracing said culture - even simply embracing aspects of it - rather than a certain ethnicity (not that being of western European descent isn't an advantage, but still).

The problem is that it's much more difficult to get an overcrowded glorified raft across the Atlantic than it is to get it across the Mediterranean, so the only way refugees are getting to the USA from the Middle East/Africa is if there's a program in place to ship them here. And fat loving chance of that happening with a Republican controlled congress that's already up in arms over immigration from Mexico. :sigh:

So for the time being at least, refugees are stuck trying to settle down in a collection of nationalist states that each have a homogeneous cultural & ethnic identity. Call me a pessimist, but between the Hungarian PM's comments and the poll posted above (Refugees should be helped, so long as they don't move to my town to spread their filthy Islamic terrorism!) convince me that the EU is going to continue to struggle with this for a very long time. It's not that easy to reconcile nationalism with accepting a flood of new inhabitants who don't share your ethnic or cultural background.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

my dad posted:

As loathe as I am to say something like this, a friend of mine spent two months in a primarily immigrant Muslim town in Sweden, and her experiences were a horrifying cocktail of misogyny (up to an including rape and death threats), from men and women alike (including a little girl screaming at her that she's a vile person for watching cartoons instead of having children). How do you prevent the creation of insular, toxic communities like that one without loving over desperate people fleeing a horrible place?

From a couple of pages back but what cartoons specifically was she watching? This is important.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Ligur posted:

Do you believe she makes up all the things she writes about, because she is malicious and evil or something like that?

I care not so much about the why and wherefores of her blog, nor do I think her lack of expertise automatically invalidates her opinions. What I do take issue with, however, is you misrepresenting her as some sort of authority on the subject, when clearly she is not. The rest is beside the point.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
None of this is surprising. Most people are selfish most of the time, especially towards perceived outgroups. There's bound to be significant resistance to using one's resources to help others to no benefit for (or even to the detriment of) the party spending the resources.

When it comes to societally created morals versus evolutionary anti-outgroup instincts, the latter tends to win.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

I care not so much about the why and wherefores of her blog, nor do I think her lack of expertise automatically invalidates her opinions. What I do take issue with, however, is you misrepresenting her as some sort of authority on the subject, when clearly she is not. The rest is beside the point.

Yeah if most of the stuff she writes isn't true at all or made up, she probably isn't an authority on the subject. If what she writes is true or on point, then she is "an authority" on the subject. The rest is quite beside the point, yeah.

For example, I know a poo poo ton of people who majored in something, like, uhh, philosophy but are pretty awesome in the IT field. I have no formal education or degree in sports, but having done stuff for 20+ years I'm pretty sure I know what I talk about when I write a blog about it. I don't need to be a professor of sports in the state sports department for that, if you get what I mean.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ligur posted:

Yeah if most of the stuff she writes isn't true at all or made up, she probably isn't an authority on the subject. If what she writes is true or on point, then she is "an authority" on the subject. The rest is quite beside the point, yeah.

For example, I know a poo poo ton of people who majored in something, like, uhh, philosophy but are pretty awesome in the IT field. I have no formal education or degree in sports, but having done stuff for 20+ years I'm pretty sure I know what I talk about when I write a blog about it. I don't need to be a professor of sports in the state sports department for that, if you get what I mean.

The hallmark of a credible authority is really about metacognition: they know what they know, what they don't know, and what must be known in order to resolve uncertainty and move forward. Degrees and experience both frequently fail to confer this quality (e.g., Meehl's studies on clinical versus actuarial judgment), which is essentially integrity. Feynman was speaking about scientists at the time, but I think his is a perfectly good general definition of an intellectual expert or authority.

Feynman posted:

But there is one feature I notice that is generally missing in cargo cult science. That is the idea that we all hope you have learned in studying science in school--we never say explicitly what this is, but just hope that you catch on by all the examples of scientific investigation. It is interesting, therefore, to bring it out now and speak of it explicitly. It's a kind of scientific integrity, a principle of scientific thought that corresponds to a kind of utter honesty--a kind of leaning over backwards. For example, if you're doing an experiment, you should report everything that you think might make it invalid--not only what you think is right about it: other causes that could possibly explain your results; and things you thought of that you've eliminated by some other experiment, and how they worked--to make sure the other fellow can tell they have been eliminated.

I would like to add something that's not essential to the science, but something I kind of believe, which is that you should not fool the layman when you're talking as a scientist. I am not trying to tell you what to do about cheating on your wife, or fooling your girlfriend, or something like that, when you're not trying to be a scientist, but just trying to be an ordinary human being. We'll leave those problems up to you and your rabbi. I'm talking about a specific, extra type of integrity that is not lying, but bending over backwards to show how you're maybe wrong, that you ought to have when acting as a scientist. And this is our responsibility as scientists, certainly to other scientists, and I think to laymen.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Passport, lifejacket, lemons: what Syrian refugees pack for the crossing to Europe

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SaltyJesus posted:

From a couple of pages back but what cartoons specifically was she watching? This is important.

Haven't a clue. Not anime, at least that much I can be certain. We were talking about the refugee crisis, and when I asked her why she hates Muslims so much (it never came up before, but became obvious during the conversation), she told me what happened to her in Sweden, and I went :stonk: She's not a person I have a reason to distrust about this.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I was gonna make a stupid joke like if it's mlp/anime death threats are to be expectedwarranted.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 5, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yes totally a little girl did that.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also Sweden will elect Nazi's as an entire government soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nonsense posted:

Yes totally a little girl did that.

I've known 8 year olds who said far worse things because they repeated lovely things said by their parents. Hell, I said some horrible poo poo as a kid because of the stuff I heard on TV (Milošević era propaganda. I'm sure you can imagine what I said).

Nonsense posted:

Also Sweden will elect Nazi's as an entire government soon.

No. But I do have a reason to assume something is wrong with the way Sweden is handling immigrants/refugees. I know a Muslim dude who fled from Mostar to Sweden during the Yugoslav Wars and visits to my hometown from time to time to visit his sister (who married a guy from here), and the things I've heard from him make his experiences in Sweden sound pretty great (and he's a great guy, too), and I used to base my assumptions about the situation there on the things he told me. Now, however, I'm worried about fuckups in refugee policies resulting in the poo poo my friend had to suffer.

OwlFancier posted:

Integration. Bombard people everyday with dissenting viewpoints. Expose them constantly to ideas other than the ones they already have. Require them to mix with other people in order to get the things they want. Show them why they should want the things that require integration to acquire.

Exactly the same way everyone else learns to integrate into society, a combination of pressure from their peers, material incentives for compliance, and a lack of viable alternatives.

There's a problem I think of when I hear about integration through social pressure. A (Serbian) dude and his wife, who were friends of my grandparents, moved to Sweden. My family used to be really drat poor, and those guys used to bring stuff from Sweden, usually a bunch of clothes and toys that they'd give me. As time went on, they... Started being wary of us. Like, at one point, I took some weird brooch that was on their table because I was curious about it, and the woman slapped me on the hand while shouting "Drop it, you little thief!" Soon after they stopped coming. We never stole anything from them (or anyone else), and the impression I got is that my grandparents were friends with them, and didn't demand anything, but felt gratitude for the help provided. I just really don't like the idea of new refugees showing up only to discover that their own people consider them a pack of thieves or something like that.
Integrating migrants and refugees in a way that forces them to be "the good ones" is horrible, too.

• Locked thread